PDA

View Full Version : question of the week

idseer
10-07-2004, 08:35 PM
a few thoughts about the Q. of the week.

fox, my favorite all time player, is leading with almost 25 %. a good choice as he represents the 'go go' sox which i believe most people would think of when they think of the sox. excellent fielder but he maybe hit a little too well. also he wasn't very fast (only one season with more than 10 sb's).
however ... i think his numbers are skewed. he just happens to be the sox card of the week and when you click on him you are informed he is the player most people think of and "most embodies the white sox". i don't disagree but in any court this would be called leading the voters. he has too many votes.

frank thomas with 23 % ? this choice makes no sense at ALL to me. he hardly typifies the white sox. can't field, is slow, hit's much too well and has too much power. (tho perhaps he does typify this crap-for-team we're currently stuck with)

joe jackson with 20 %. no way do i think a guy who had 648 ab's and then was banned from the game represents what the sox are all about. plus he hit way too well also.

minnie minoso is a good choice and yet he has less than 10 %. he was fast, a good fielder, had a little power and also maybe hit a little too well.

then comes looie. how can aparicio have only 7 % of the vote? :?:
he seems to me to be the perfect epitome of what the successful sox teams were. avg hitter, speed, defense, very little power. that was what the chicago white sox were always all about. the good teams, that is.

luke appling. like thomas, way too good a hitter to typify the sox.

billy pierce, my favorite all time pitcher, is not a bad choice yet he has only 3.6 %. the problem with him (and walsh) is that pitching is only one dimension and i don't think that's enough to represent the team, tho he should have many more votes.

dick allen???? a guy who played less than 3 seasons for the sox? no way does he 'typify' the sox. plus he was way too good.

and don't get me started on the ever-present churro choice. :rolleyes:

missing? .... how about baines, fisk, or collins? i don't think any of these guys epitomizes the team either but they are better than some of the choices here.

keep in mind i base my thinking on teams that span some 50 years and a lot of people here only go back as little as 5 or 10 years. no doubt the younger crowd may pick better candidates based on their time only (durham, guillan, law, orta, may, melton?).

but to me the most successful sox teams were built on speed, defense and pitching so that's what i use to pick out a 'representative player' .... not just my favorite player.

A. Cavatica
10-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Jerry Dybzinski typifies the Sox.

flo-B-flo
10-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Jerry Dybzinski typifies the Sox. Quite devastating. Ken Berry is my choice. Spectacular one minute. Invisible the next.:smile:

misty60481
10-07-2004, 11:17 PM
I voted for Luke Appling, I saw him play for about 5 years , here was a man over 20 years with same team never even close to a pennant yet had outstanding year after year...kinda sad but typical SOX

hold2dibber
10-08-2004, 07:38 AM
Jerry Dybzinski typifies the Sox.
Hold two, Dybber!!!!!

batmanZoSo
10-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Jose Valentin is the true embodiment of the White Sox. Every once in a while he shows flashes of something, but overall, just doesn't have it. And we stick with him year after year...

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2004, 11:11 PM
...he just happens to be the sox card of the week and when you click on him you are informed he is the player most people think of and "most embodies the white sox". i don't disagree but in any court this would be called leading the voters. he has too many votes.It's a Chicago election after all.