PDA

View Full Version : Scathing anti-Sosa article in the tribune

MRKARNO
10-07-2004, 05:28 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-041007redeyecrankiestteammate,1,2191912.story?coll =cs-home-headlines

I never thought I'd see this. The story goes without comment at this point from me

dpbyron
10-07-2004, 06:17 PM
WOW! The Cubune calling Sam-Me a bigger loser thad Cade McNONE!:o:

I LOVE IT!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

fusillirob1983
10-07-2004, 09:57 PM
He Gone!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Yeah... but the Cubune never does anything but report the news in a fair and honest manner.

The Cubune is fining him and calling him on his lying, too... even producing a videotape to prove the point?

What's the Cubune's next move?
"Finding"the missing barrel-end of his corked bat?
Evidence of what happened to that big bag of Sammy's "stolen" money?
The rum bottle?
The missing frames of the Zapruder film?

Sammy is a gone goose. Not even the Cubune is hiding his lies anymore.

:gulp:

:giangreco :moron :ass
"SAY IT AIN'T SO, SAMMY! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!"

:hawk :hurt
"HE GAWN!"

voodoochile
10-07-2004, 10:44 PM
I'm just waiting for the sheep to start bleating...

:flubbie-fan-in-a-ShamME-jersey:
"Sham-ME* - you punk ass loser. I hate your guts. Never were any good. Never should have trade Bell for you in the first place. What about that wife-beating crap? (while doing Salaams)You suck. You suck. You suck."

zach23
10-08-2004, 09:17 AM
Haven't we Sox fans been saying all this about SamMe for years? Weren't we always told we were just jealous because the Sox didn't have him anymore?
I think the local papers and sportsblab guys owe us a big apology for all these years that they told us we were just being petty and jealous when we said we were much happier with Maggs in RF as opposed to SamMe and his one-dimensional, selfish, cheating, lying circus show. Now they are all repeating the same things we have said for years.

34 Inch Stick
10-08-2004, 09:23 AM
When one arm of the Tribune company is against a person they really try to bring the weight of the world down upon him. It gives me more respect for the way Daley put the beat down on them. It also makes me think that the media conspiracy theorists may not be as out there as I thought.

Flight #24
10-08-2004, 10:26 AM
At this point, the only real questions are:

Who'd trade for Scammee? How much $$ would the Trib have to send along?? What does that mean for their offseason spending?

First question: I think very few teams.

Forget KC, Texas, etc unless the Chubs eat most/all of that contract (and even then, both teams would rather get pitching, and KC's rebuilding around younger players, so I don't see how 2 years of Sammy helps them much).

Mets: been down that road before, I dont' know that Minaya wants to start his reign with this type of move.

Spankees: It fits, but where does he play with Matsui, Sheff, & Giambi set at RF/LF/DH? Plus, why go get Sosa when you can get Beltran?

LA: A possibility, especially if they lose out on Beltran. But I'd like to think DePodesta's smarter than that.

The only way this works is if the Cubs send along a LOT of $$$. But then do they have to figure that into their offseason spending? Can Hendry convince FitzSimons, etc to spend $10-15mil on Sosa AND $15-20mil on Beltran or $10mil on Renteria?

idseer
10-08-2004, 10:44 AM
At this point, the only real questions are:

Who'd trade for Scammee?
well .... we do need a right fielder. :smile:

Justafan
10-08-2004, 10:46 AM
This whole thing is funny. As far as who would take him, I have no idea why anyone would want him. However, lets not forget that Jim Hendry once traded Todd Hundley for Grudzielanek and Karros. If he can pull that off, he can probably pull this off as well.

Justafan
10-08-2004, 10:47 AM
What I would REALLY like to know is how Hendry is ABLE to take team after team to the cleaners.

Flight #24
10-08-2004, 11:12 AM
This whole thing is funny. As far as who would take him, I have no idea why anyone would want him. However, lets not forget that Jim Hendry once traded Todd Hundley for Grudzielanek and Karros. If he can pull that off, he can probably pull this off as well.
At the time, IIRC, Karros was viewed as almost as immovable as Hundley, and Grud had a sizeable contract as well. They obviously ended up being more valuable, but when the trade was made, it wasn't as much of a steal because they Cubs took back underperforming, high-salaried guys as well.

And if they do deal Scammee to the Mets and get back Cliff Floyd and/or Mike Cameron, would they really go get Beltran and sit one of those 2?

Flight #24
10-08-2004, 11:13 AM
What I would REALLY like to know is how Hendry is ABLE to take team after team to the cleaners.
Good prospects+the ability to take on cash = trade winner.

However, the level of cash is the question in this case since the goal is to also be able to offer a giant $$ contract to someone.

Justafan
10-08-2004, 11:19 AM
And if they do deal Scammee to the Mets and get back Cliff Floyd and/or Mike Cameron, would they really go get Beltran and sit one of those 2?
Not sure, but I have a Cubs fan friend who says that Beltran is numero uno on the Cubs radar screen, with Alou and Clement not likely to be re-signed. That would free-up about 17 million right there. If they move Sosa, I don't think the Mets would be the team that he goes to. That is just my opinion.

TDog
10-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Not sure, but I have a Cubs fan friend who says that Beltran is numero uno on the Cubs radar screen, with Alou and Clement not likely to be re-signed. That would free-up about 17 million right there. If they move Sosa, I don't think the Mets would be the team that he goes to. That is just my opinion.
Beltran is number one on a few teams' radar screens. While a healthy Magglio Ordonez might not be able to find the money he was expecting, Beltran will be in pretty good shape with an agent who will milk it for more than it's worth.

The bidders will probably ignore the lesson of Sosa, whose long-term big money guarantee has put his team in a bind. If that resonates with any team, it may resonate with the corporation that owns the Cubs, which may be disappointed in the fact that spending money doesn't guarantee the postseason experience. The suits also could question whether a 2005 Beltran would contribute more than a 2004 Alou. Any team that would take on Sosa will probably have Beltran more prominent on their radar screens, so Beltran's signing might have to come before any Sosa trade.

Justafan
10-08-2004, 11:53 AM
The suits also could question whether a 2005 Beltran would contribute more than a 2004 Alou.

I think Beltran would easily do that.

TDog
10-08-2004, 11:58 AM
I think Beltran would easily do that.
But you're not looking at signing him to a Sosa-esqe contract.

Justafan
10-08-2004, 12:05 PM
But you're not looking at signing him to a Sosa-esqe contract.
What do you think Beltran is going to command on the open market? I would guess 5 years at 15-18M per.

Lip Man 1
10-08-2004, 12:39 PM
What's interesting is that the Cubs are doing this now, when his career is starting to slide as opposed to say, five years ago. Just ask Baylor and Kimm the issues they had to deal with surrounding him during those years.

That being said this also shows something important, the Cubs now feel they have the talent and the depth in place to cut loose one of their icons without fear of any reprisals.

That's what having back to back winning years and a plus 90 milliion dollars payroll does.

Lip

Flight #24
10-08-2004, 01:22 PM
What's interesting is that the Cubs are doing this now, when his career is starting to slide as opposed to say, five years ago. Just ask Baylor and Kimm the issues they had to deal with surrounding him during those years.

That being said this also shows something important, the Cubs now feel they have the talent and the depth in place to cut loose one of their icons without fear of any reprisals.

That's what having back to back years and a plus 90 milliion dollars payroll does.

LipPlus to freedom that if it backfires, they'll still draw 2.5mil. Heck, they could sign me for $15mil, throw me out in RF for 81 home games and probably draw that much (and by the way Jim Hendry - I'm available!).

IMO that last point is what gives them the flexibility, moreso than the winning.

Flight #24
10-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Factor in raises to Wood, Lee, Ramirez (or a new contract for Aramis), etc and I'd bet that drops quite a bit. Now add in whatever cash it takes to get rid of Sammy, and I'd bet you've used up most or all of that $17mil. Then factor in a high-salaried player coming back and you need a reasonable payroll bump to accomodate a Beltran.

And that's before King George gets his grubby mitts on Bora$$ and makes him an offer.

Justafan
10-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Factor in raises to Wood, Lee, Ramirez (or a new contract for Aramis), etc and I'd bet that drops quite a bit. Now add in whatever cash it takes to get rid of Sammy, and I'd bet you've used up most or all of that $17mil. Then factor in a high-salaried player coming back and you need a reasonable payroll bump to accomodate a Beltran.

And that's before King George gets his grubby mitts on Bora$$ and makes him an offer.
Hmm, I could have swore(I could be wrong) that the Cubs locked up Wood and Lee before the season began. That said, none of this matters if Sosa does not get traded.

samram
10-08-2004, 01:55 PM

That's what having back to back years and a plus 90 milliion dollars payroll does.

Lip
Well, it's also because Baker has more power than Baylor or Kimm ever had. The Cubs probably feel (with reason) that Dusty, despite his game management problems, adds more to the team than Sammy does at this point. I don't think it's a coincidence that the two best teams the Cubs have had (this year and last- 1998's team was garbage) while he's been there occurred while Sammy had average or below average years.

They also fear no reprisal because even if the team wasn't very good the fans would still be out there with no Sammy. As has been said before on this site, the Cubs' fielding a good, deep team is actually bad for business.

As for trading Sammy, I don't see how it can happen unless the Cubs are willing to pick up a bunch of salary in 2006, a year they probably planned on not paying Sammy anything.

samram
10-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Hmm, I could have swore(I could be wrong) that the Cubs locked up Wood and Lee before the season began. That said, none of this matters if Sosa does not get traded.They both got three year deals I think. What Flight #24 is saying has merit though. If they want to bring on Beltran with another player received for Sosa, it will make it very difficult to give Ramirez, Zambrano, Prior, and/or Patterson lengthy deals. They won't let that payroll get too much higher than it already is.

Flight #24
10-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Hmm, I could have swore(I could be wrong) that the Cubs locked up Wood and Lee before the season began. That said, none of this matters if Sosa does not get traded.They did, but IIRC, in general those type of deals escalate year-year. So as with Garcia's 3-yr deal, the salary in yr 2 > yr1. A million or 2 each for Lee & Wood (and Maddux, IIRC) plus an extension for Aramis,and raises factored in for other players, etc and you have a nice chunk of that Alou/Clement $$ eaten up.

Plus they have to be factoring in big raises/arb awards in the next few years for Prior & Zambrano. They can expect to let Maddux go in a year or so, but tht other guys will likely still be around. Are the Tribsters really going to project a $120+ payroll in 2-3 years?

Justafan
10-08-2004, 02:25 PM
They did, but IIRC, in general those type of deals escalate year-year. So as with Garcia's 3-yr deal, the salary in yr 2 > yr1. A million or 2 each for Lee & Wood (and Maddux, IIRC) plus an extension for Aramis,and raises factored in for other players, etc and you have a nice chunk of that Alou/Clement $$ eaten up.

Plus they have to be factoring in big raises/arb awards in the next few years for Prior & Zambrano. They can expect to let Maddux go in a year or so, but tht other guys will likely still be around. Are the Tribsters really going to project a $120+ payroll in 2-3 years?
Ok, thanks for the info. As far as the tribune goes, they seem to have taken a different approach with the Cubs in recent years(like trying to win) and I would not be surprised if they hike they payoll in the range you mentioned. Will Reinsdorf do the same?

ma_deuce
10-08-2004, 02:50 PM
well .... we do need a right fielder. :smile::chopper

Chopper, sic balls!

MRKARNO
10-08-2004, 04:01 PM
It's just amazing how 3 years ago this guy was everyone's hero and 6 years ago he was the man who saved baseball and now he's the worst teamate in Chicago history and being chased out of town. He had a terrible offensive season this year and now his antics have caught up to him now that everyone's looking at him past the Home Run totals. Frank Thomas never got this low at his worst, even after that crappy 1999 (which wasn't that bad) probably because he's not nearly as bad a guy as Sosa is, though he's not a perfect person either.

StillMissOzzie
10-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Factor in raises to Wood, Lee, Ramirez (or a new contract for Aramis), etc and I'd bet that drops quite a bit. Now add in whatever cash it takes to get rid of Sammy, and I'd bet you've used up most or all of that $17mil. KWood gets a raise of $1.5M, GMaddux gets a raise of $3.0M, and DLee gets a raise of $1.50M. That's $6.0M, and that's with nothing for Aramis Ramirez, who just ended a 3 yr deal at $6.0M, so it's safe to say he'll get that much or more in arbitration, unless the sCrUBS sign him to a longer term deal (actually, I thought that they did, but it was not reflected in the website I looked at)

For the sake of discussion, let's say Aramis gets a $1M bump, so now we're up to a $7.0M increase from last year. Even if the sCrUBS have to eat only $7.0M of Sosa's contract for each of the next two years (remember, 2006 gets guaranteed if he's traded, along with a $4.5M buyout of 2007) that could make it pretty tough to outbid the Yankmees or Astros for C Beltran.

Sadly, I don't think that the Sox will be serious bidders for Beltran, but I do hope that he's enjoyed playing in the post-season for Houston, and that it gives the 'Stros the inside track instead of either of the Evil Empires.

SMO
:gulp:

Edit: Hey, post #1116 is my birthday - 11/16 !!