PDA

View Full Version : Quick Q: 0% chance we re-sign Maggs?

BackInBlack
10-07-2004, 05:02 PM
I haven't been able to follow all the rumors and speculation as to where Maggs is supposed to wind up.

I know the White Sox wanted to sign him to a reasonable extension during the regular season, and the general line of thinking said if Maggs hit the FA market, the Sox would have no chance.

Just checking in to see if there's ANY hope of seeing Maggs "Back in Black."

If not, who is most likely to land "Oh eee oh?"

Thanks.

Ol' No. 2
10-07-2004, 05:11 PM
I haven't been able to follow all the rumors and speculation as to where Maggs is supposed to wind up.

I know the White Sox wanted to sign him to a reasonable extension during the regular season, and the general line of thinking said if Maggs hit the FA market, the Sox would have no chance.

Just checking in to see if there's ANY hope of seeing Maggs "Back in Black."

If not, who is most likely to land "Oh eee oh?"

Thanks.If the suggestions we're hearing about necrosis in his knee are correct and he's looking at a 1-yr+ rehab, that ought to put a crimp in the demand, to put it mildly. Suppose the Sox offered him a modest amount for next year, assuming he won't play, then a base+incentive contract for 2006 with a buyout in case he can't play then? Anyone think some other team would offer more?

MRKARNO
10-07-2004, 05:11 PM
There's a huge chance that Magglio is going to miss all of next year and I really doubt we've going to give him a contract this winter unless it's an incentive-laden contract that gives him next to nothing in 2005 while he's recovering with the hope that he can come back in 2006 in shape to play. Magglio is going to need that long to recover in all likelihood. I would not advocate the White Sox giving as much money as he's going to want to just sit out and recover. We have too many needs to fill in other spaces to give him any money and plenty of capable outfielders that can fill the hole in the short term. If any GM gives him more than 1.5 million in guarenteed money in 2005 (besides Brian Cashman), then they should be fired on the spot based on what I've heard of his injury.

mweflen
10-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Where has this word about necrosis originated from? Is it true? It's certainly not what's represented in the papers...

I think it would be worth it to pay mags a mil or 2 for 2005 (on the assumption he plays for a month or two) and then maybe a 3 year dual option after that (similar to Frank's contract)

batmanZoSo
10-07-2004, 05:37 PM
Either way he was never in our 2005 plans. If he was healthy right now, we'd get outbid.

If the suggestions we're hearing about necrosis in his knee are correct and he's looking at a 1-yr+ rehab, that ought to put a crimp in the demand, to put it mildly. Suppose the Sox offered him a modest amount for next year, assuming he won't play, then a base+incentive contract for 2006 with a buyout in case he can't play then? Anyone think some other team would offer more?

That doesn't sound like something a team other than the player's original team would offer, so that's a good outlook for us. And it would definitely be a great display of loyalty on our part, for which Maggs might be obliged to stick with us if and when he returns to superstar form.

:reinsy
Loyalty...that's my only policy.

Ol' No. 2
10-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Either way he was never in our 2005 plans. If he was healthy right now, we'd get outbid.

That doesn't sound like something a team other than the player's original team would offer, so that's a good outlook for us. And it would definitely be a great display of loyalty on our part, for which Maggs might be obliged to stick with us if and when he returns to superstar form.

:reinsy
Loyalty...that's my only policy.Whatever you think of Reinsdorf, one thing you have to give him is that he's loyal to his players and employees (sometimes to a fault). It would not surprise me if they did something like this.

PavanoBeltran'05
10-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Where has this word about necrosis originated from? Is it true? It's certainly not what's represented in the papers...

I think it would be worth it to pay mags a mil or 2 for 2005 (on the assumption he plays for a month or two) and then maybe a 3 year dual option after that (similar to Frank's contract)
It's a condition that happens in freak cases such as this and leads to the edema of the marrow that has plagued Maggs since the surgery he had to get the meniscus stabilized. One of the reports that just came out is a little more optimistic (by a California orthopod who was asked about the case) as far as the rehab time (he's thinking more along the lines of being ready for the next season), but until we hear something else by someone that ACTUALLY operated on Maggs, the closest diagnosis I've heard of (based on what has happened to him, his lack of recovery, etc.) is that he may have a spot of osteonecrosis in the bone of his knee compartment. That isn't career threatening, but it would extend his recovery time to anywhere from 8-16 months.
We'll know more once it comes out how his latest surgery went and actually what they did. Will Maggs' people allow that news to come out and hurt his availability and marketability? Who knows.

batmanZoSo
10-07-2004, 06:08 PM
Whatever you think of Reinsdorf, one thing you have to give him is that he's loyal to his players and employees (sometimes to a fault). It would not surprise me if they did something like this.

Yeah, often it's too a fault...but in this case we would benefit from his "loyalty."

Lip Man 1
10-07-2004, 08:16 PM
You mean 'loyal' like to Carlton Fisk?

and to answer the question I'd say 5% chance.

Lip

Flight #24
10-07-2004, 10:22 PM
You mean 'loyal' like to Carlton Fisk?

and to answer the question I'd say 5% chance.

Lip
C'mon Lip, you know that for every Fisk, there's a LaRussa, Guillen, Jay Williams story where Reinsdorf stays extremely close to and does a lot for his former employees or those hit by hard times.

He's a hard negotiator when you're an active player, but he seems to be a lot more generous after the fact.