PDA

View Full Version : Amazing game in the Bronx!

MRKARNO
10-06-2004, 11:27 PM
The YANKEES have tied it at 6!

shagar69
10-06-2004, 11:28 PM
bags loaded with one out

HomeFish
10-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Sac fly Matsui. Yankees win!

There's some smallball for ya, Twinkies! :bandance:

shagar69
10-06-2004, 11:32 PM
wow. what a game! yanks win with a play at the plate

FarWestChicago
Sac fly Matsui. Yankees win!

There's some smallball for ya, Twinkies! :bandance:That was one weak assed throw. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif

minastirith67
:notwinks :twinslose

Now hopefully they'll lose the series at the crapdome

idseer
10-06-2004, 11:33 PM
twins bad luck in the 9th with the ground rule double. the winning run scores easily if the ball doesn't bounce into the crowd. too bad.

twins really need to take 2 in minnesota now cause they don't want to come back to ny.

Mohoney
10-06-2004, 11:33 PM
What a game. I can say, without a doubt, that EVERYBODY left all they had on the field.

Gutty performances by the bullpens, especially Joe Nathan and Tanyon Sturtze, two guys that just hit a wall after going way beyond the call of duty.

Lots of clutch performances. Hats off to both teams.

bigfoot
10-07-2004, 12:04 AM
That was one weak assed throw. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif
That's no kidding!

greenpeach
10-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Jacque Jones has a sore throwing arm. He made the right play under the circumstances by hitting the cut off man.

Great baserunning by Jeter led to the winning run.

FarWestChicago
10-07-2004, 01:46 AM
Jaque Jones has a sore throwing arm.Sore? I've seen stronger throws from guys with a cast on their arm. I've seen Scam-ME make better throws. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gif

dcb33
10-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Or how about Derek Jeter's sacrifice bunt in the top of the 7th which helped score two runs? It's a good thing Aramis Ramirez or Sammy Sosa aren't on the Yankees!

GO YANKEES! Send Torii Hunter home!

Baby Fisk
10-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Gardenhire = Grady Little. *** was Joe Nathan doing out there in the 12th (other than looking like a shattered wreck of a man)? The Big Mo just swung to the Yanks. This series is over.

fusillirob1983
10-07-2004, 10:52 AM
I agree, Gardenhire should have taken Nathan out of the game.

pinwheels3530
10-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Tori Hunter got a little bit too cocky there after hitting his HR, I guess he forgot he was playing the Yanks who are even more cocky!!!!:D:

CubKilla
10-07-2004, 12:00 PM
Sox fans cheering for the Yankees. I think I'm gonna be sick.

Skorch
10-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Tori Hunter got a little bit too cocky there after hitting his HR, I guess he forgot he was playing the Yanks who are even more cocky!!!!:D:Are you referring to the throw after Matsui's sac fly? That was Jacque Jones.

Hell of a game last night. Being a Twins fan of course I was disappointed in the outcome, but the Twins played the MFYs hard. The Yankees may have won, but it took them 12 innings on their own field to do it. I loved seeing them make Rivera blow a save. Everyone I was watching with cheered when Nathan took the mound in the 12th. At the time it just felt right, but we all know how it ended up. We also cheered when they showed Loaiza warming up in the 'pen. As an aside, I was skeptical of that trade at first, but it's pretty clear your Sox got the better pitcher out of that deal.

If the Twins go on to lose this series, the decision to leave Nathan in will understandably be second-guessed to death. Hindsight is of course 20/20, but I think I would have still sent in Nathan to start the 12th (he'd only thrown about 30-35 pitches I believe), but with Crain and Romero warmed up for the first hint of trouble.

Being as neutral as I can be, I thought it was an excellent ballgame, I just didn't like the outcome. Somebody said both teams left everything out on the field. My sentiments exactly. End results being the same, I'll take a hard-fought baseball game on both sides between two teams over a lop-sided laugher anyday.

Nixey 02
10-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Gardenhire = Grady Little. *** was Joe Nathan doing out there in the 12th (other than looking like a shattered wreck of a man)? The Big Mo just swung to the Yanks. This series is over.
I'm with you on this. Even if you let Nathan start the 12th (and I wouldn't), Joe gets the hook for Romero or Crain after the FIRST man reaches base. Un-freakin'-believable.

Iwritecode
10-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Jacque Jones has a sore throwing arm. He made the right play under the circumstances by hitting the cut off man.

Great baserunning by Jeter led to the winning run.

I don't think he really hit the cut-off man. I think it was cut-off because the ball was so far off-target that even if the throw would have beat Jeter, the catcher would have had to dive 5 feet just to get back to the plate.

Seems to me that they were hoping for the same type of play Jeter made against Oakland last year...

MRKARNO
10-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Are you referring to the throw after Matsui's sac fly? That was Jacque Jones.

Torii flipped his bat after his homer and I'm willing to bet the Yankees weren't too happy about that.

balke
10-07-2004, 02:48 PM
THis is a tough series to root for either way, but anytime Torii looks stupid, I'm happy. I was in a bar, saw the homerun, and thought the game was over. It was a pleasant surprise to see his HR outweighed by the yanks.

Skorch
10-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Torii flipped his bat after his homer and I'm willing to bet the Yankees weren't too happy about that.Really? I'd be surprised if they even noticed. "Torii just hit a hard shot towards the outfield! Quick! What's he doing with his bat?" These are the Yankees, if they needed something like that as motivation to win a playoff game they wouldn't have 26 rings.

Both Jeter and A-Rod took curtain calls after their homeruns. Which one showed up the other team more?

Paulwny
10-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Gardenhire really blew this game. He should never have started the kid, Kubel. He was totally lost at the plate. He could have at least ph for him when , against Rivera, there were runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out.

idseer
10-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Tori Hunter got a little bit too cocky there after hitting his HR, I guess he forgot he was playing the Yanks who are even more cocky!!!!:D:
just how did tori get too cocky? caused he smiled in the dugout? is that cocky to you? check with your own favorite player sometime after he cranks a huge go ahead run in the 12th inning and let's see if he smiles. when he does i'd sure love to see you in here telling us all how cocky he acted.
but .... i won't hold my breath.

Mickster
10-07-2004, 04:17 PM
just how did tori get too cocky? caused he smiled in the dugout? is that cocky to you? check with your own favorite player sometime after he cranks a huge go ahead run in the 12th inning and let's see if he smiles. when he does i'd sure love to see you in here telling us all how cocky he acted.
but .... i won't hold my breath.
I think he was inferring about him flipping the bat. No one is stupid enough to call a player cocky for smiling and hi-fivin' in a dugout after a HR in an extra inning game.

DumpJerry
10-07-2004, 04:28 PM
One thing that was cool was how the fans remained at the game 'till the end, on their feet cheering. I say this because I always think about LA fans who desert the game in the 7th no matter what. Kirk Gibson can tell you about how it feels to hit a walk-off at home to win the World Series in front of the five or so fans left in the park.......................

Maybe Scammy should be traded to the Dodgers, if tries to leave home games in the 7th, he'll get stuck in traffic.:wink:

idseer
10-07-2004, 04:43 PM
I think he was inferring about him flipping the bat. No one is stupid enough to call a player cocky for smiling and hi-fivin' in a dugout after a HR in an extra inning game.
i didn't notice anything particularly wrong with the way he got rid of his bat after the hr. it would seem to me even less a reason than smiling afterwards.
so i'd still like to hear pinwheels reason for saying what he did.

Mickster
10-07-2004, 04:48 PM
i didn't notice anything particularly wrong with the way he got rid of his bat after the hr. it would seem to me even less a reason than smiling afterwards.
so i'd still like to hear pinwheels reason for saying what he did.
I agree with you. I didn't see anything wrong with it either. Hell, I would have pumped a fist, raised a finger, etc. HR in extra innings in the post-season.....

I know that the proposed "bat flip" was mentioned in this thread, though...

doublem23
10-07-2004, 06:05 PM
I don't think there could have been a series that would draw so much apathy from me. I mean, at least when the Yankees and Red Sox play, my raging hatred of Boston is so great, it almost blinds me to my disgust with the Yankees. But Twins-Yankees? I couldn't give a rat's ass at all.

row18
10-07-2004, 07:24 PM
The Yankees are real pros, check out their half of the 12th. 2walks on 8 straight balls, then a shot into the gap that would have been 3 rows into the bleachers at the Cell. Call me crazy, but any other team would've their to out guess the pitcher and ground into a game-ending, series swinging double play. Give it up to the Yanks for their poise.

soxwon
10-07-2004, 08:45 PM
go twins

hey they beat us out
that makes them the best.

Frankfan4life
10-09-2004, 01:50 PM
go twins

hey they beat us out
that makes them the best.I can't understand your logic. The Twins edged us 10-9. Detroit beat us 11-8. The Yankees beat Minnesota 4-2.

The Yankees finished with 101 wins. The Twins finished with 92 wins.

The Yankees are the better team.

StillMissOzzie
10-10-2004, 01:30 AM
Famous last words. See Chicago Media reactions to 2003 NLCS.
'Fraid so. #%&**&(&^( Yankmees!

SMO
:mad: