PDA

View Full Version : White Sox hire new marketing firm...

dpbyron
10-06-2004, 11:38 AM
What will they do different....? (http://www.adweek.com/aw/regional/midwest/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000660012)

HomeFish
10-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Hopefully Brooks picked like-minded people in choosing this company.

soxnut
10-06-2004, 11:53 AM
U"The brand needs to endear itself to more people," said David Stevenson, Two by Four's president and chief creative officer. "They need to extend this thing to more people. If they were winning the World Series, the place would be packed, but what do you do when they're not?"

I don't know exaclty how they are going to do that, but I think that what they're saying is the proper direction. I think they'll have to soften the image a little. I think the Sox and the fans and the neighborhood have a perceived image of being a little rough and not friendly. So, those aren't endearing qualities that make people want to come out to the ballpark.

I also think the broadcast of the game needs alot of work. And I'm not talkinga bout the announcers. Those currently in charge of producing a White Sox game don't do a good job of presenting the ballpark at all. Considering all of the renovations and amenities that have been added over the years--such as the Bullpen Bar, Fandeck, new view of the skyline and the new murals, these things should be shown during the game, to give people a "feel" of what it's like to be there. So really a poor job has been done in that respect. Hopefully Comcast will do it right.

Brian26
10-06-2004, 12:01 PM
U"I also think the broadcast of the game needs alot of work. And I'm not talkinga bout the announcers. Those currently in charge of producing a White Sox game don't do a good job of presenting the ballpark at all. Considering all of the renovations and amenities that have been added over the years--such as the Bullpen Bar, Fandeck, new view of the skyline and the new murals, these things should be shown during the game, to give people a "feel" of what it's like to be there. So really a poor job has been done in that respect. Hopefully Comcast will do it right.

This is an excellent, excellent point. It can be subtle, and it can be not-so-subtle. I don't watch a ton of Cubs games, so when I do, I'm blown away at how obvious the camera is in panning in on either a.) the cute little kid eating a cubbie ice cream bar or b.) the 23 year old blonde with c-cups with the cold old style in her hand while she's talking on her cell phone with the other hand and looking like she's having a good time and ready to give free blowjobs after the game to any frat boy who shows up at Yakzies. Arnie Harris did it for years, and they're still doing it now that he's gone. How often do you see shots like this during the Sox game? The demographics of the crowd are probably almost identical...

Whether it's subtle advertising of your product or subtle brain-washing, it's effective either way.

soxnut
10-06-2004, 12:05 PM
This is an excellent, excellent point. It can be subtle, and it can be not-so-subtle. I don't watch a ton of Cubs games, so when I do, I'm blown away at how obvious the camera is in panning in on either a.) the cute little kid eating a cubbie ice cream bar or b.) the 23 year old blonde with c-cups with the cold old style in her hand while she's talking on her cell phone with the other hand and looking like she's having a good time and ready to give free blowjobs after the game to any frat boy who shows up at Yakzies. Arnie Harris did it for years, and they're still doing it now that he's gone. How often do you see shots like this during the Sox game? The demographics of the crowd are probably almost identical...

Whether it's subtle advertising of your product or subtle brain-washing, it's effective either way.
Exactly what I'm talking about. Quite honestly, as much of a Sox fan as I am, and don't like the Cubs at all, the way they produce their games is 100% more enjoyable to watch.:(:

SOXSINCE'70
10-06-2004, 12:07 PM
What will they do different....? (http://www.adweek.com/aw/regional/midwest/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000660012)
Convince Uncle Jerry to spend money on top line FA pitching.:rolling: :rolling:

Rush20
10-06-2004, 12:08 PM

LOL! :D:

If that's true, I'd have converted to the "dark side" years ago!

However, I do agree that while the Cubs telecasts had views of sailboats, icecream and cold beer, the SOX didn't have too many "outside the park" options. Wow - beautiful shot of the freight railroad tracks. Oops, there's another local getting mugged or a nice photo of a boarded up Robert Taylor highrise.

Brian26
10-06-2004, 12:11 PM

However, I do agree that while the Cubs telecasts had views of sailboats, icecream and cold beer, the SOX didn't have too many "outside the park" options. Wow - beautiful shot of the freight railroad tracks. Oops, there's another local getting mugged or a nice photo of a boarded up Robert Taylor highrise.

Blah, who cares about the outside the park shots.

People are generally sheep. They want to be brainwashed. They want to go where they think people are having fun and there's a party. They want to go where hot women with halter tops and big tits are hanging out. If the Sox started showing more women in the bleachers in the summertime, I guarantee at least a 20% increase in attendance. Guaranteed.

soxnut
10-06-2004, 12:16 PM

No, the Sox don't have much on the "outside the park" options, but they could show fans tailgating. And on the inside, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, there have been so many new things added to the park, that they should be shown more. I mean my God, what a surprise it was when they showed KW and Magglio sitting out in the Fandeck--granted it was two Sox people, but geesh, they actually acknowledge the Fandeck seating---what a concept!!

I can't even count the number of people I've overheard talking at the park who aren't aware of how the Bullpen Bar operates. Do ya think maybe if they showed it during the broadcast and mentioned it would help? I know it gets alot of people in there anyway, but acknowledgement of it during the game helps to add to the feel of being at a Sox game.

soxnut
10-06-2004, 12:21 PM

People are generally sheep. They want to be brainwashed. They want to go where they think people are having fun and there's a party. They want to go where hot women with halter tops and big tits are hanging out. If the Sox started showing more women in the bleachers in the summertime, I guarantee at least a 20% increase in attendance. Guaranteed.
Well, I don't want to degrade people by calling them sheep, but, sex sells. And yes if it looks like people are having fun, others will want to join. What has been the matter with the producer of Sox games?---He's had the best example there is in sport on how to produce a ballgame--Arnie Harris for years before his death, and yet has not used that style at all, really. :(:

Brian26
10-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Well, I don't want to degrade people by calling them sheep, but, sex sells. And yes if it looks like people are having fun, others will want to join. What has been the matter with the producer of Sox games?---He's had the best example there is in sport on how to produce a ballgame--Arnie Harris for years before his death, and yet has not used that style at all, really. :(:

I'm not saying you need to do the bull**** "hat shots" every inning. Just focus on hot chicks in the crowd and the occassional cute little kid who's wearing some Sox merchandise or eating a churro or some other ballpark food novelty. Show hot chicks and cute kids having fun at the Cell. It's not brain-surgery. Instead, we've got Hangar18 in every ****ing camera shot :D:

soxnut
10-06-2004, 12:49 PM
I'm not saying you need to do the bull**** "hat shots" every inning. Just focus on hot chicks in the crowd and the occassional cute little kid who's wearing some Sox merchandise or eating a churro or some other ballpark food novelty. Show hot chicks and cute kids having fun at the Cell. It's not brain-surgery. Instead, we've got Hangar18 in every ****ing camera shot :D:

I'm not saying you need to do "hat shots" either, but the Sox broadcast production is missing alot by not doing anything. It's not brain surgery, but the Sox production team must think it is. They are not capturing the feel and "setting the stage".

Is it too difficult to:
mount a small camera to the new upper deck so it can give an overall view of the park, and once in a while peer out through the deck to see the skyline?

show the babes having a good time on the concourse, in the bullpen bar, the fandeck?

show more of the kids eating all of their crap and wearig their Sox gear and hopefully show them in the new Fundamentals area/

check out the folks in the diamond suites, terrace suites and patio?

show Hawk and DJ---not just pre and post, John and Ed and other Sox front office people at the game?

The broadcast production crew just doesn't do enough to give going to a Sox game a "personality". And it's a shame.:whiner:

And hey what do ya mean about Hangar----isn't he one of the "endearing qualities" the new firm is looking to project?:wink:

Ol' No. 2
10-06-2004, 01:00 PM
These are great ideas. I never thought about it before, but you're right, the game broadcasts are pretty vanilla. But they need to cover more than a few hot babes or kids with ice cream. People come to the games for lots of different reasons, and there is something for everyone. They need to show off some of the features that they have at Comiskey that they don't have at Wrigley. Coverage from the bullpen sports bar would also be great. The new Fundamentals area that they're building is unique in MLB as far as I know. Have you been to the Stadium Club in Wrigley? You can't see the field from there!! The Tribune marketing people have been running rings around the Sox for years. It's time they started marketing more effectively.

Rush20
10-06-2004, 01:29 PM
I'm not saying you need to do "hat shots" either, but the Sox broadcast production is missing alot by not doing anything. It's not brain surgery, but the Sox production team must think it is. They are not capturing the feel and "setting the stage".

Is it too difficult to:
mount a small camera to the new upper deck so it can give an overall view of the park, and once in a while peer out through the deck to see the skyline?

show the babes having a good time on the concourse, in the bullpen bar, the fandeck?

show more of the kids eating all of their crap and wearig their Sox gear and hopefully show them in the new Fundamentals area/

check out the folks in the diamond suites, terrace suites and patio?

show Hawk and DJ---not just pre and post, John and Ed and other Sox front office people at the game?

The broadcast production crew just doesn't do enough to give going to a Sox game a "personality". And it's a shame.:whiner:

And hey what do ya mean about Hangar----isn't he one of the "endearing qualities" the new firm is looking to project?:wink:
Absolutely! Ever notice how they overused the camera angle from the lower deck making sure they never, every show the upper deck? I guess that's because it is mostly empty.

I agree that they broadcasts need to get more creative.

daveeym
10-06-2004, 02:05 PM
The lighting of sox productions is horrible too, particularly on upn or the U or whatever but even on fox. Everything is dark and drab. National games are always much brighter and the field and stadium plays much better on national telecasts. I don't know if the sox are relegated to 20 year old cameras, or less goes into their production so no ones on a board brightening up the feed or what but the telecasts suck as a whole.

batmanZoSo
10-06-2004, 02:18 PM

Well then they SHOULD start panning those cameras out there. The outfield in the summertime is just babe city.

LuvSox
10-06-2004, 02:32 PM

I e-mailed Boyer about this very same subject a few months ago. I also mentioned adding a third commentator to roam the park, showing off it's attributes every other inning or so, like they do on ESPN. If that idea takes off, I am taking full credit! :D:

soxnut
10-06-2004, 08:23 PM
I e-mailed Boyer about this very same subject a few months ago. I also mentioned adding a third commentator to roam the park, showing off it's attributes every other inning or so, like they do on ESPN. If that idea takes off, I am taking full credit! :D:
Hey, I wrote him a letter right after he was hired basically saying the same thing, so you'll have to share the credit dude.:cool:

bigfoot
10-06-2004, 11:29 PM
I hope the ad agency is Steinberg and Boras

voodoochile
10-07-2004, 08:32 AM
Yep, probably the same people who gave us the new Bud Light package - "an all new look". Nevermind that it is the same crappy product on the inside. It looks pretty...

Procol Harum
10-07-2004, 10:23 AM
The lighting of sox productions is horrible too, particularly on upn or the U or whatever but even on fox. Everything is dark and drab. National games are always much brighter and the field and stadium plays much better on national telecasts. I don't know if the sox are relegated to 20 year old cameras, or less goes into their production so no ones on a board brightening up the feed or what but the telecasts suck as a whole.
BINGO! Boy, you have that right. I've often wondered if there was some media techhead out there who might be able to 'splain to the rest of us why it is that the Sox broadcasts look so washed-out and drab on everything but WGN and the nat'l Fox and ESPN broadcasts. The sickly colors and lighting on most Sox games can't help the cause. That said, the Cubs' games on 26 and the Fox local network look just as bad, so there must be some sort of technical reason.

Ol' No. 2
10-07-2004, 10:40 AM
BINGO! Boy, you have that right. I've often wondered if there was some media techhead out there who might be able to 'splain to the rest of us why it is that the Sox broadcasts look so washed-out and drab on everything but WGN and the nat'l Fox and ESPN broadcasts. The sickly colors and lighting on most Sox games can't help the cause. That said, the Cubs' games on 26 and the Fox local network look just as bad, so there must be some sort of technical reason.They put in all new lighting as part of the renovation last year. This was necessitated by having more HD broadcasts, which require more light. It seems impossible to me that they would turn DOWN the lights for some broadcasts. Do different stations use their own cameras instead of the ones already there? I don't know much about cameras, but maybe different stations adjust them differently.

soxnut
10-07-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm just glad they are off of FSN, their entire production of game was awful. I'm looking forward to Comcast being more prefessional.