PDA

View Full Version : What is the 2005 infield going to look like?

Palehose13
10-06-2004, 10:46 AM
Anyone have an idea?

Valentin will most likely be gone. Pk traded??? Hopefully, I have seen the last of Joe Crede. Robbie? Willie? Catcher?

Are there any IF free agents that KW is looking at?

Just thinking about it and wondering if we are going to see a very different IF in 2005.

Jerko
10-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Uribe, Valdez, Harris, Gload, your infield third to first.

batmanZoSo
10-06-2004, 10:54 AM

:kw
This is phase one in our quest for a championship...

:reinsy
Yeah, championship...

nodiggity59
10-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Reports from Cleveland indicate it is becoming less and less likely Vizquel will return. A #2 hitter w/ above average defense, if not GG anymore. I'd love him for about $3mil.

Palehose13
10-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Reports from Cleveland indicate it is becoming less and less likely Vizquel will return. A #2 hitter w/ above average defense, if not GG anymore. I'd love him for about $3mil.
Sounds good to me. What's the deal with robbie? Will he be back next year?

nodiggity59
10-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Sounds good to me. What's the deal with robbie? Will he be back next year?
I hope not. Willie is honest to goodness better than him now. Plus, if we get a SS Uribe can play second.

jackbrohamer
10-06-2004, 11:35 AM
I don't see the Sox giving up on Crede, if only because they've hyped him for so long and he's still cheap.

Flight #24
10-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Vizquel at around $3mil would be a great signing. He can not only still play, but lead the IF. Plus, you get to take your pick of the best 3 among Willie, Uribe, Crede for 2 positions.

HomeFish
10-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Vizquel playing for the White Sox eliminates about 3-4 losses to the Indians per year for us that he causes single-handedly.

kittle42
10-06-2004, 11:49 AM
The infield will be mostly grass, with a dirt track that goes around the grass kind of like a diamond. There will be a small bump of dirt in the middle of it all where pitchers stand.

samram
10-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Vizquel playing for the White Sox eliminates about 3-4 losses to the Indians per year for us that he causes single-handedly.
I wouldn't mind Vizquel, but, generally, the "Jeff Blauser to the Cubs" theory doesn't work. I also wouldn't be surprised if KW pursues Hairston or Roberts.

Palehose13
10-06-2004, 12:03 PM
The infield will be mostly grass, with a dirt track that goes around the grass kind of like a diamond. There will be a small bump of dirt in the middle of it all where pitchers stand.
I had a feeling some smart ass would post that. :tongue:

Palehose13
10-06-2004, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't mind Vizquel, but, generally, the "Jeff Blauser to the Cubs" theory doesn't work. I also wouldn't be surprised if KW pursues Hairston or Roberts.
Hairston or Roberts would be very nice also.
The way I see it, Uribe can fill anywhere but 1st in the infield. I am comfortable with Gload starting at first. So, should PK be traded for pitching and go after a FA infielder or vice versa?

I'm not worried so much about the OF, since it will be Lee, Beltran, and Rowand.

Brian26
10-06-2004, 12:07 PM

I'm also getting tired of the "Sox sign a former Indian player". Still, I respect the hell out of Vizquel. He's a hell of a player.

Lip Man 1
10-06-2004, 12:19 PM
The infield from 3rd to 1st is "Ward, Hansen, Buford and Skowron." Even at their ages it would probably be better.

Lip

Brian26
10-06-2004, 12:24 PM

That scares the hell out of me.

ja1022
10-06-2004, 12:35 PM
See: Alomar, Roberto; 2002 New York Mets to present.

Brian26
10-06-2004, 12:37 PM

Vizquel actually plays with some heart though. Robbie plays like he's made his money and now he's not gonna run out another pop-up to save his life.

mdep524
10-06-2004, 01:16 PM
3B Figgins
SS Vizquel
2B Hairston
1B Konerko/Gload
C Kendall

Yes that is in deepink. BUT... the truth is that infield would not be that difficult to attain, if it were KW's goal (which it should be, but sadly probably will not be).

nodiggity59
10-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Vizquel hit .291 w/ a .353 OBP w/ 28 doubles and 19 SBs this year.......

How does that compare to what Robbie has been doing lately? Frankly, there is no comparison.

ja1022
10-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Vizquel hit .291 w/ a .353 OBP w/ 28 doubles and 19 SBs this year.......

How does that compare to what Robbie has been doing lately? Frankly, there is no comparison.
Robbie Alomar, 2001: .336, .415 OBP, 30 stolen bases

My concern with Vizquel is that at some point his production (and value) are going to decline. For Alomar it started in 2002 at 34. Omar will be 37 next year, and how much does he have left in the tank? Personally I'd prefer someone with more upside potential as opposed to someone who may be on the decline.

soxwon
10-06-2004, 05:06 PM
sammy sosa at first

hairston jr at 2b

vizquel at ss

uribe at 3b

ichiro in rf

beltran in cf

rowand in lf

kittle42
10-06-2004, 05:12 PM
sammy sosa at first

hairston jr at 2b

vizquel at ss

uribe at 3b

ichiro in rf

beltran in cf

rowand in lf
I really hope you just put a bunch of names in a hat and picked them out to come up with this group.

Otherwise, put down the...:gulp:

HITMEN OF 77
10-06-2004, 05:31 PM
The infield from 3rd to 1st is "Ward, Hansen, Buford and Skowron." Even at their ages it would probably be better.

Lip
I wish that was our infield.

soxwon
10-06-2004, 05:56 PM
I really hope you just put a bunch of names in a hat and picked them out to come up with this group.

Otherwise, put down the...:gulp:

i was joking about sosa
but the others i believe will be white sox,
and no im not high lol.

i think kw is going to suprise everyone and get us ichiro
and from what i hear- we have the inside on beltran

benjamin
10-06-2004, 06:00 PM
I have the feeling it could easily be Gload, Harris, Uribe, Crede with Valdez playing the utility role that was originally planned for Uribe this season.

Defensively, this infield would actually be one of the most under-rated in baseball. Offensively, ... :whiner:

1B - Gload - Think Mienkiewitz-ish type of player. He's always held the reputation of playing exceptional defense throughout the minors. Offensively, the best case (hopefully) would be to see him hit .280 with 15-20 homers max. I won't bother with guessing at RBI, as that is dependent on the rest of the lineup.

2B - Harris - Offensively he has a ways to go before being considered in the Juan Pierre class that is wished upon him by most, however he was at least able to show signs of getting on base via the walk this season, something that many didn't think he had in him at all. Defensively, he's posted a very respectible range factor at 2B.

SS - Uribe - He is a gold-glove caliber player at all three infield spots (2B, 3B, and SS), and would be a true positive if allowed to play SS for an entire season. If he were to be able to come close to matching his hitting stats from this season while showing a bit more consistency from month to month, he'd be one of the Major League's best bargains.

3B - Crede - Defensively, there's no question that he is at worst, in the top half of the league at his position. Offensively, he quite possibly put of the worst offensive performance of the season at his position. That being said, he is still young enough that improvement could be expectedl. Remember that many wrote of Konerko after his disastrous 2003 season.

Another aspect of having this infield would be that it would quite obviously imply that Paul Konerko would be in a different team's uniform. The key would be to determine the best possible way to replenish his value, whether that be in the form of pitching (starting or bullpen) or at one of the outfield spots (unlikely, given the surplus of OF prospects in the minors already).

Another aspect of trading Konerko that may not be abundantly clear, is that simply trading him in a salary dump of sorts allows the Sox to be in position to spend his $8 million in a different direction with regard to free agents.

fuzzy_patters
10-06-2004, 06:01 PM

Lip
Those guys are old. Let's go with "Ventura, Guillen, Cora, Thomas" from third to first. They are old, too, but they are much further from social security.

Palehose13
10-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Those guys are old. Let's go with "Ventura, Guillen, Cora, Thomas" from third to first. They are old, too, but they are much further from social security.
Bring over Ventura and it could happen...Rose was a player/manager, right? How about Guillen as a player/manager and Cora as a player/coach...and then DH him. :wink:

owensmouth
10-06-2004, 06:27 PM
3B Figgins
SS Vizquel
2B Hairston
1B Konerko/Gload
C Kendall

Yes that is in deepink. BUT... the truth is that infield would not be that difficult to attain, if it were KW's goal (which it should be, but sadly probably will not be).
That's ridiculous! The Angels are not going to give up Figgins, period. They will hold on to him like he's worth his weight in gold. There's a better chance that Troy Glaus will become available. Remember, they've already marked Guillen for extinction, so somebody's going to have to take his place.

Forget about Figgins, he will bot be available.

mdep524
10-06-2004, 08:23 PM
That's ridiculous! The Angels are not going to give up Figgins, period. They will hold on to him like he's worth his weight in gold. There's a better chance that Troy Glaus will become available. Remember, they've already marked Guillen for extinction, so somebody's going to have to take his place.

Forget about Figgins, he will bot be available.
Troy Glaus is a FA, so he already is available, though he is no longer a serviceable 3B as injuries have limited him to be mainly a 1B/DH type. As for Figgins, he is certainly not untouchable- Anaheim has hot shot prospect Dallas McPherson waiting in the wings to play 3B. If KW offers Konerko, a package involving Figgins is not out of the question.

bafiarocks03
10-06-2004, 08:31 PM
from 1st to 3rd..well my way...Paul-Willie-Uribe/Valdez-Crede/Uribe!!

kittle42
10-06-2004, 08:31 PM
get us ichiro
and from what i hear- we have the inside on beltran
Ridiculous.

Why would the Mariners trade the only reason to go watch a Mariner game? That's just silly.

And as far as Beltran, in all of our dreams...

owensmouth
10-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Troy Glaus is a FA, so he already is available, though he is no longer a serviceable 3B as injuries have limited him to be mainly a 1B/DH type. As for Figgins, he is certainly not untouchable- Anaheim has hot shot prospect Dallas McPherson waiting in the wings to play 3B. If KW offers Konerko, a package involving Figgins is not out of the question.
Troy Glaus is not a FA, not yet. I suspect that the Angels will make an offer because by this coming spring, his shoulder will be ready for him to return to third base.

Figgins is a good enough third baseman, second baseman, center fielder, right or left fielder to play for most teams. The Angels know that better than anyone else. If you want Figgins, you'd better be ready to deal either Garcia or Buehrle, straight up.

Did you notice what the Angels did to back up their manager, Mike Scioscia? They dumped their number two power guy when he challanged Scioscia's authority. Scioscia will not let Figgins go anywhere, he is too useful.

The Angels have trouble with their outfield, left and center field and at both third and second base. Figgins is just too valuable to give up for a first baseman like Konerko.

mdep524
10-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Troy Glaus is not a FA, not yet. I suspect that the Angels will make an offer because by this coming spring, his shoulder will be ready for him to return to third base.

Figgins is a good enough third baseman, second baseman, center fielder, right or left fielder to play for most teams. The Angels know that better than anyone else. If you want Figgins, you'd better be ready to deal either Garcia or Buehrle, straight up.

Did you notice what the Angels did to back up their manager, Mike Scioscia? They dumped their number two power guy when he challanged Scioscia's authority. Scioscia will not let Figgins go anywhere, he is too useful.

The Angels have trouble with their outfield, left and center field and at both third and second base. Figgins is just too valuable to give up for a first baseman like Konerko.
You're making the guy out to be a perennial All Star. I'm a big Figgins fan, but I doubt he will be untouchable, especially considering the Angels have a lot of options. A Buehrle/Garcia for Figgins trade is laughable- from the Sox' perspective.

Either way, I had Figgins in deep pink to begin with, so I doubt it will happen. If the Sox acquired even TWO of the four players I had in pink--Figgins, Kendall, Hairston or Vizquel--I would consider the off season infield reconstruction a success.

joe47
10-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Sadly, I agree with you that this is exactly what our infield will look like. However, our infield could realistically look like this:

3B Uribe
SS Visquel (3-4 million is reasonable for a 1 year deal)
2B Hariston or Todd Walker (I know he's a Cub, but a he is also a good value)
1B Gload/Konerko

StepsInSC
10-06-2004, 09:22 PM
i think kw is going to suprise everyone and get us ichiro
You're nuts. Ichiro alone, according to economists, moved (is moving) over $100 million into Seattle's economy over a five-year span. Why again would Seattle want to move him?

fusillirob1983
10-07-2004, 12:48 AM
Next year's starters should be

Ellis Burks RF
Lance Johnson CF
Tim Raines LF
Robin Ventura 3B
Ozzie Guillen SS-MGR
Joey Cora (player and 3b coach) 2B-3Bcoach
Frank Thomas 1B
Bo Jackson DH
Carlton Fisk C

ondafarm
10-07-2004, 09:34 AM
Should be the regular lineup although Uribe may bump around a bit, Crede will get some time at third. Both Harris and Valdez have weaknesses to lefty/righty pitchers respectively. They'll both get more rest than Uribe will.

kittle42
10-07-2004, 09:42 AM

Ellis Burks RF
Lance Johnson CF
Tim Raines LF
Robin Ventura 3B
Ozzie Guillen SS-MGR
Frank Thomas 1B
Bo Jackson DH
Carlton Fisk C
Just as realistic as Ichiro.

Deadguy
10-07-2004, 10:15 AM
"Kenny, here's a list of players I want you to get for our revamped infield in 2005."

:KW
"Um, sir, the first three guys on this list are...um....dead."

"So? Cross them off the list then."

"And...um....about Rodney Dangerfield, I hate to be the one to tell you this.."

"Yeah, I figured he doesn't get much respect, so there won't be much demand for his services, and he can play SS for the league minimum."

"Excellent thinking sir, but I'm afraid he has also passed on."

"Damn this fielding a baseball team thing is too hard. Lets just get a big tub of popcorn, go to Blockbuster, and rent Caddyshack."

"Sounds good to me. But what should I tell the reporters our offseason plan is? I tried unplugging the phones and locking the door to my office, but they keep finding me."

"Ah, just tell them you heard a rumor that Jose Contreras is a communist. That ought to keep them busy and off our backs for a few days at least."

"Word."

fuzzy_patters
10-07-2004, 11:22 AM

Ellis Burks RF
Lance Johnson CF
Tim Raines LF
Robin Ventura 3B
Ozzie Guillen SS-MGR
Frank Thomas 1B
Bo Jackson DH
Carlton Fisk C
I always like this lineup:

LF Rock Raines
2b Joey Cora
1B Frank Thomas
DH Julio Franco
3B Robin Ventura
RF Darrin Jackson
CF Lance Johnson
C Ron Karkovice
SS Ozzie Guillen

The 2004 White Sox are my all-time favorite White Sox team despite the strike. Gene Lamont did not play musical line-ups too much, and this was pretty much his lineup day in and day out.

quade36
10-07-2004, 11:42 AM
I like Valdez a lot from what I saw. I wouldn't mind him being the starting SS next year, but if they can get Vizquel, do it.

Crede,Vizquel, Uribe, Konerko.

I love the trade rumor popping up involving Lee and Juan Pierre, if this happens keep Konerko :)

marlins03
10-07-2004, 06:41 PM
I like Valdez a lot from what I saw. I wouldn't mind him being the starting SS next year, but if they can get Vizquel, do it.

Crede,Vizquel, Uribe, Konerko.

I love the trade rumor popping up involving Lee and Juan Pierre, if this happens keep Konerko :) Juan Pierre is staying bud he played every inning in the season and leads the NL in hits i doubt they would let him go

Blueprint1
10-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Are you serious about Gload at first as the starter? If that is the case this team is REALLY going to suck.

jordan23ventura
10-08-2004, 10:27 AM
I always like this lineup:

LF Rock Raines
2b Joey Cora
1B Frank Thomas
DH Julio Franco
3B Robin Ventura
RF Darrin Jackson
CF Lance Johnson
C Ron Karkovice
SS Ozzie Guillen

The 2004 White Sox are my all-time favorite White Sox team despite the strike. Gene Lamont did not play musical line-ups too much, and this was pretty much his lineup day in and day out.

Hmm. I thought Ellis Burks was on that team?

The best part about the '94 season was the starting pitching. Plus, we had a good closer in Roberto Hernandez and a functional bullpen. I really miss the Jack McDowell/Alex Fernandez/Wilson Alvarez days.

Flight #24
10-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Juan Pierre is staying bud he played every inning in the season and leads the NL in hits i doubt they would let him go
Trib had an article on Marlins looking to reduce payroll and Piere being available. If so, KW should see what they want for him, but I think it'll be relatively expensive in terms of prospects. I highly doubt they want Konerko, Everett, Borchard. Maybe Garland? I like him as a #5, but maybe they think they can work some of the same magic they thought they'd use on Koch?

Chez
10-08-2004, 03:04 PM
If Nomar signs with the Angels, let's go after David Eckstein to play short. He's a "grinder," plays solid defense and could fit into Craig Grebeck's old uniform. Seriously, he would be a huge defensive upgrade over Jose and is probably affordable.

benjamin
10-08-2004, 03:31 PM
If Nomar signs with the Angels, let's go after David Eckstein to play short. He's a "grinder," plays solid defense and could fit into Craig Grebeck's old uniform. Seriously, he would be a huge defensive upgrade over Jose and is probably affordable.
Meanwhile, Juan Uribe is a gold glove caliber SS left to rotate around the infield again.

hitlesswonder
10-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Meanwhile, Juan Uribe is a gold glove caliber SS left to rotate around the infield again.
I agree, I would rather see Uribe start at short than Eckstein. Eckstein has good hands (high fielding percentage), but he doesn't have near the range or arm Uribe has, in my opinion. Uribe would turn a lot more balls into outs. On offense, this year Eckstein hit .276 with a .339 OBP and .671 OPS. Uribe was .283/.327/.833. And I think Uribe will cost less next year, too. I don't think Eckstein is a bad or anything, but if the Sox are going to trade for a middle infielder, I would rather see them go after a 2B with a high OBP.

Flight #24
10-08-2004, 03:51 PM
If Nomar signs with the Angels, let's go after David Eckstein to play short. He's a "grinder," plays solid defense and could fit into Craig Grebeck's old uniform. Seriously, he would be a huge defensive upgrade over Jose and is probably affordable.Don't be fooled by the fielding percentage improvement. Jose dominates Exckstein in RF (4.91 to 3.83), and is reasonably better in ZR as well (.878 to .859).

I don't presume to say that those stats can be used to provide the complete picture of a defensive player, but they are a good indicator of what I've observed in watching games, which is that Jose gets to a ton more balls than Eckstein. Personally, I'll take that coverage and give up a few more Es to get it.

EDIT: as posted above, Uribe is a way better option.