PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Rowand play in the last game?

ja1022
10-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Not a conspiracy thread or anything negative. I didn't see the last game and haven't seen anything here or in the news. Just curious if anything was said or written about why Rowand sat out the last game with a chance to finish in the Top 10 in Batting Average. Was wondering if Ozzie sat him thinking his .310 would get him in the Top 10, and not wanting to risk an 0-3 day. I would guess that Rowand's the type of guy who is more interested in wins than stats, and would rather play in that situation. Maybe he had tweaked an old injury or it was just a scheduled day off? Again, I'm not suggesting an "Ozzie bias" or any other garbage like that. Just wondering.

idseer
10-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Not a conspiracy thread or anything negative. I didn't see the last game and haven't seen anything here or in the news. Just curious if anything was said or written about why Rowand sat out the last game with a chance to finish in the Top 10 in Batting Average. Was wondering if Ozzie sat him thinking his .310 would get him in the Top 10, and not wanting to risk an 0-3 day. I would guess that Rowand's the type of guy who is more interested in wins than stats, and would rather play in that situation. Maybe he had tweaked an old injury or it was just a scheduled day off? Again, I'm not suggesting an "Ozzie bias" or any other garbage like that. Just wondering.
not to mention needing 1 more rbi to reach 70 (which i was personally rooting for).
i am so totally against 'sitting' players to preserve stats. good OR bad. either they deserve them or they don't. trying to 'design' stats completely misses the point.
it's the reason i most admired ted williams. his insistance on playing the last day of the season when his .400 avg was on the line said volumns about the man.

Tekijawa
10-06-2004, 11:03 AM
I heard he came in late and asked Ozzie for the day off because he was injurred, he then left 7 minutes into the game. He was seen by security on a dirt bike speeding down the hill leading to the expressway shouting, " I covered your @$$ all season Ozzie! If it wasn't for me there wouldn't be any baseball!" He also complained about how Hawk had cost him at least 90 points on his batting average this year by saying that Willie Harris would suprise a lot of people and Didn't mention him.

"Those 90 points on my batting average would have won us at least 10 more games" Rowand continued, "That is why Hawk cost us the season"

In other news DJ (Darren Jackson) is leaving the booth to join his cousin Michael Jackson in his legal battle. DJ was quoted as saying, "It's a little know fact that we are actually related. After the passing of Rodney Dangerfield yesterday I knew that I had to take the oportunity to work with my cousin"

ja1022
10-06-2004, 11:08 AM
I heard he came in late and asked Ozzie for the day off because he was injurred, he then left 7 minutes into the game. He was seen by security on a dirt bike speeding down the hill leading to the expressway shouting, " I covered your @$$ all season Ozzie! If it wasn't for me there wouldn't be any baseball!" He also complained about how Hawk had cost him at least 90 points on his batting average this year by saying that Willie Harris would suprise a lot of people and Didn't mention him.

"Those 90 points on my batting average would have won us at least 10 more games" Rowand continued, "That is why Hawk cost us the season"

In other news DJ (Darren Jackson) is leaving the booth to join his cousin Michael Jackson in his legal battle. DJ was quoted as saying, "It's a little know fact that we are actually related. After the passing of Rodney Dangerfield yesterday I knew that I had to take the oportunity to work with my cousin"
Outstanding. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I figured it was something like that.

Randar68
10-06-2004, 11:32 AM
They wanted him to go out on a positive and finish with the best possible BA. Hawk mentioned it several times and I heard Farmer/Rooney mention it at least once over the 2 games prior to the last one against the Royals.

ja1022
10-06-2004, 11:39 AM
They wanted him to go out on a positive and finish with the best possible BA. Hawk mentioned it several times and I heard Farmer/Rooney mention it at least once over the 2 games prior to the last one against the Royals.
Huh.....Thanks for the info. My take on that would be if they want him to finish with the best possible BA, let him play and try to raise his average, as opposed to not playing him because they don't want him to lower his average. It's the whole is the glass half full or half empty thing. I wonder how Rowand felt about it.

Brian26
10-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Huh.....Thanks for the info. My take on that would be if they want him to finish with the best possible BA, let him play and try to raise his average, as opposed to not playing him because they don't want him to lower his average. It's the whole is the glass half full or half empty thing. I wonder how Rowand felt about it.

Yeah, I agree. Very bizarre train of thought. Even an 0-3 day would have only probably dropped his average by a point. And, he had the chance to raise it.

balke
10-06-2004, 01:11 PM
I find this strange as well. I'll pretend not to hear the truth, and pretend it was cause they didn't want him to get injured. :D:

Rowand's good enough, and the Royals are bad enough, that .310 wasn't going anywhere.

Baby Fisk
10-06-2004, 02:01 PM
They wanted him to go out on a positive and finish with the best possible BA. Hawk mentioned it several times and I heard Farmer/Rooney mention it at least once over the 2 games prior to the last one against the Royals.[*shaking head in disbelief*] If that's the fact, then "they" are all morons (refer to the Ted Williams example cited above). :rolleyes:

Rex Hudler
10-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I agree. Very bizarre train of thought. Even an 0-3 day would have only probably dropped his average by a point. And, he had the chance to raise it.There is a perceptual difference between .310 and .308. It is not as big of a perceived difference than between .300 and .299, but it is bigger than the difference between .310 and .312.

Rowand had a great year. The last game meant nothing. I think sitting him was a good move. Let him sit on the bench and reflect on his accomplishments. Whether that is what he wanted or not, I think it was a good move.

SEALgep
10-06-2004, 06:08 PM
not to mention needing 1 more rbi to reach 70 (which i was personally rooting for).
i am so totally against 'sitting' players to preserve stats. good OR bad. either they deserve them or they don't. trying to 'design' stats completely misses the point.
it's the reason i most admired ted williams. his insistance on playing the last day of the season when his .400 avg was on the line said volumns about the man.Didn't he get three hits that game too?

idseer
10-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Didn't he get three hits that game too?
actually he went 4 for 6.

champagne030
10-06-2004, 07:25 PM
i was in kc last weekend and i have to believe he knew he wasn't playing considering the condition he was in....actually the response of the whole team saturday says a lot of what went on friday night.........

jabrch
10-06-2004, 07:46 PM
cuz JR is cheap and KW is stupid

Sorry - I am so used to hearing that as the answer to any questions - it has become a programmed response.