PDA

View Full Version : How will Sammy's Departure affect your hatred of the Scrubs?

Moses_Scurry
10-06-2004, 08:03 AM
For me, much, but not all, of my hatred the past couple years has been tied to Corky. With me moving out of the Chicago area, and with Scammy leaving, whether it is this year or next, I'll have to focus my hatred elsewhere. I probably won't openly root against them like I have these past 8 or 9 seasons. I will root against them having any post-season success until the Sox have firmly collected 3 or 4 world series titles (in other words, NEVER)!

How will Sammy's departure affect you as a Cubbie hater??

samram
10-06-2004, 08:06 AM
Well, it seems as if a lot of the guys I don't like on that team could be gone, including Alou. OTOH, Dusty will still be there making excuses for his dumbass team. Plus, I don't think the fans are going anywhere. My hatred will carry on.

As for Sammy's departure, I guess one problem is finding someone to take the entire 2006 salary. The Cubs won't want to assume salary they don't plan on having on the books anyway. Jayson Stark was saying today on Mike and Mike that some possibilities could be Sosa going for Jose Guillen, Mike Sweeney, or Cliff Floyd. I don't know where Sweeney would play though.

davenicholson
10-06-2004, 08:19 AM
For me, much, but not all, of my hatred the past couple years has been tied to Corky. With me moving out of the Chicago area, and with Scammy leaving, whether it is this year or next, I'll have to focus my hatred elsewhere. I probably won't openly root against them like I have these past 8 or 9 seasons. I will root against them having any post-season success until the Sox have firmly collected 3 or 4 world series titles (in other words, NEVER)!

How will Sammy's departure affect you as a Cubbie hater??Unless cubbie fandom (including the fawning media) also moves away, my 40+ years of loathing anything cubbie will continue unabated.

eriqjaffe
10-06-2004, 08:45 AM
I don't know where Sweeney would play though.

Sweeney would gladly sign a contract for the league minimum so he can play a season in beautiful Wrigley Field and have a shot at a World Championship, even it means riding the bench all season long!

MRKARNO
10-06-2004, 09:08 AM
He's not gone yet and it's gonna be really difficult to move his contract. I'm not so sure that he will necessarily find a taker.

Palehose13
10-06-2004, 09:18 AM
He's not gone yet and it's gonna be really difficult to move his contract. I'm not so sure that he will necessarily find a taker.
I was just gonna ask why everyone thinks Scammy is gonna be moved. Who is going to take him and his contract? Maybe some AL team in need of a DH, but is anyone really in need of a DH that hits .240, 35HR's and about 75 RBI's for his price?

So...I haven't kept up. Are the scrubs shopping Sammy? Have they publicly stated that he won't be back?

samram
10-06-2004, 09:37 AM
I'm not a Sosa fan or at the least I stopped once he was traded for George "Taco" Bell, but I actually don't mind Sammy.

OK, he used cork and his ego is the size of Lake Michigan. but, as Sox fans, how can cork and ego annoy us after having Albert "fat ass" Belle on our roster?

At least Sammy hasn't become the Grade A jerk Albert has always been (i.e. beaning fans with baseballs etc).
Because Belle was always thought of as a jerk, and we knew it when he came to the Sox. Sammy has been riding a great public image for the last 7 years, when he was really a phony who only pretended to care about the fans, used their money to buy his family nice things when it was supposed to go to charity, cheated in baseball, and put himself ahead of the team time and time again. Sammy has been a grade A jerk from day one and people around the country who used to buy into "Cuddly Sammy" are finally getting to know what he really is.

Palehose13
10-06-2004, 10:21 AM
So you would be less annoyed with Sammy if he was chucking baseballs at reporters/fans at games instead of putting on an act/show for the fans?
Yes. Bonds, Belle...they aren't fake. Sosa is a phony. The phoniest of phonies. That makes him the worst.

BTW...what's with the Sosa love? Are you a :dtroll: ?

samram
10-06-2004, 10:30 AM
So you would be less annoyed with Sammy if he was chucking baseballs at reporters/fans at games instead of putting on an act/show for the fans?
I didn't say Belle was a model citizen, but at least people knew he was a pretty bad guy, and no one tried to build an image of Belle as a good guy. Sammy is not a model citizen, but he's been helped by the Chicago and national media to have a public image of which he was clearly undeserving, and it had been frustrating to never see the media actually question some of his actions.

Risk
10-06-2004, 10:46 AM

How will Sammy's departure affect you as a Cubbie hater??
Scammy Soso's potential departure will not affect my hatred of the Chicago National League ballclub in any way, shape or form since I detest their very existence with every fiber of my being, much like

1) yellow cars;
2) the Minnesota Vikings;
3) the New York Yankees;
4) VW Beatles;
5) every album by Metallica since 1992; and
6) Barbara Streissand

Have a nice day.

Risk

cubhater
10-06-2004, 10:55 AM
It wouldn't affect my hatred of that team and their fans one bit. I actually want him to remain with the Cubs since he's a cancer and bringing the team down. If he left, it would just give me one less thing to laugh at.

Dick Allen
10-06-2004, 11:13 AM
I hated the Cubs long before Sammy was there, and I will continue to hate them long after he's gone.

Iwritecode
10-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Don't hate the player, hate the team... :D:

:scrubs

:thankgod

Palehose13
10-06-2004, 12:17 PM
I didn't like Belle on the Sox and we are in agreement about our favorite players from the 90's.

My point is that guys like Belle, Bonds, etc. are *******s and are portrayed as such. Sammy puts on a show with fake sincerity and the public falls for it. Nevermind his wife beating antics and his fake charity for the Dominican.

When the Belle corking incident happened, it was dirty and IMO, perceived as such. However, "Sam-me" tends to do no wrong in the publics eyes. I guess my philosophy is "call a spade a spade". Belle and Bonds are not media darlings. Sosa is, and it makes me sick. What I also find sickening is that Belle played for the sox. I never embraced him, but at least we all knew he was a dirty jackass.

Baby Fisk
10-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Tho I agree Sammy is a phony hero, I tend to be disgusted with the whole "Cubbie mystique":

- beautiful, historic ballpark
- fans who are fans "because it's cool to be a Cubs fan"
- loveable losers permeating the entire organization, yet somehow revered
- media obsession for all things Cub
- having to hear all year about the Cubs being guaranteed "World Series Champions 2004"
- this new fad of "twinning" the Cubs with the Red Sox, as if Red Sox fans want to be associated in any way with the Cubs.
- Comiskey Park creations co-opted and spun as Wrigley Field treasures (Harry Caray, 7th inning singing, etc)
- players (Alou, Hawkins, Wood) acting like a bunch of whiny nancy boys
- Dusty "clown shoes" Baker's idiocy
- throwing back HR balls (sometimes fake ones)
- etc etc

DrCrawdad
10-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Every year autumn signals the start of hunting season. This October was slightly different as it signalled open season on Sammy Sosa. Sammy Sosa was in previous seasons a protected beast.

Nellie_Fox
10-06-2004, 01:35 PM
How will Sammy's departure affect you as a Cubbie hater??Not at all. I hated the Cubs before Sammy joined them; nothing will change if he goes.

idseer
10-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Not at all. I hated the Cubs before Sammy joined them; nothing will change if he goes.
almost the same here.

not at all. i've never hated the cubs. :smile:

Tekijawa
10-06-2004, 02:00 PM
... or Cliff Floyd.
I know for a fact that Floyd would never play for the Cubs. I know one of his best friends and he has said that he will never play of either Chicago team or St. Louis.

silhouette
10-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Yes. Bonds, Belle...they aren't fake. Sosa is a phony. The phoniest of phonies. That makes him the worst.

BTW...what's with the Sosa love? Are you a :dtroll: ?
I agree with you Palehose13, at least Bonds and Belle are real, real jerks maybe but at least they don't put on a song and dance like Mr. Bojangles. It's just bad that the Giants didn't make it to the playoffs.

white sox bill
10-06-2004, 05:03 PM
I don't HATE the flubs. To HATE something means being CONTROLLED by what it is you HATE. That evil empire will never do that to me. I've got too much self control. I strongly dislike them, and yes I will dislike whoever takes his place on the roster.

bigfoot
10-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Who?

Chrisaway
10-06-2004, 10:55 PM
Though I think Sosa represents all thats evil and wrong, his departure from the Cubs wont affect my hatred for them. As long as there is someone giving me "poop" for not being on the Cubbie bandwagon, I will always hate them.

fusillirob1983
10-07-2004, 01:15 AM
I was pretty indifferent towards the Cubs until interleague play. Weren't my least favorite team but didn't cheer for them like I did the Sox. Sosa would make the team tolerable, as in if they won the World Series, it'd be a little upsetting, but it would be great that Sosa wasn't a part of it. I'd prefer the Sox to win one first though.

WinningUgly!
10-07-2004, 01:45 AM
Don't hate the player, hate the team... :D:

:scrubs

:thankgod
Exactly! I've always rooted against the name on the front of those ugly blue jerseys. It doesn't matter what names are on the back.

wood28
10-07-2004, 07:34 AM
It doesn't matter to me who wears a Scrubs uniform, I will still and always root against them

Realist
10-07-2004, 08:05 AM
I hated the Cubs long before Sosa joined them. I'll hate them long after he's retired from the sport. That being said, I really hope that he stays with the Cubs because they'll always be a poor team with him.

The day that Sosa is gone from the Cubs is the day that I'll really fear that they have a chance.

Wait a second. Who am I talking about? It's the friggin' Cubs! They'll just find a new way to amaze me with a new fangled way of choking.

On second thought, losing Sosa will only usher in the new era watching the once "loveable (sic) losers" lose.

Maybe the Cubs will trade Sosa to Florida Panthers. That way the all of North America can not care about him together.

Deadguy
10-07-2004, 08:19 AM
I'm pretty apathetic about the Cubs and Sosa, so it wouldn't change my overall attitude about them at all. I'm more focused on what the Sox and division rivals are doing than what at a team we play 6 times a year is doing.

SOXSINCE'70
10-07-2004, 12:47 PM
I STILL HATE THE CUBS!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

HomeFish
10-07-2004, 12:53 PM
If anything, it would make the situation worse for me, as their team will be far stronger without Sosa.

Stay Sammie stay!

soxwon
10-07-2004, 07:49 PM
im actually for sosa in this debacle

i really hate BAker, i think i like Sosa here is because he is a goner as a cub.

Whitesox029
10-07-2004, 11:24 PM

How will Sammy's departure affect you as a Cubbie hater??Not in the least--I hate them no matter who is playing right field, and I will continue to actively root against them.

dcb33
10-08-2004, 12:11 AM
There's no way the Cubs will get rid of Sammy next year becuase they can't afford to. He's gonna make 17mil next year, and 18mil in 2006-7. The thing is there is a team contract buyout for 2006 at 4.5mil that would be voided if he were traded (in 2007 he would make 18mil again with a team buyout at 4.5mil), which means if he does get traded, he will be guaranteed 39.5 million, and no team is going to take on anywhere near that amount of money to get that cheater. My guess is the Cubs will just eat the 21.5mil and say goodbye to that loser after next year.

As for my hatred of the Cubs, they're still the Cubs, with Sammy or without.

Hangar18
10-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Sammy leaving will give me one less thing to make fun of as far as the NL Northide Baseball (I use that term loosely) Club goes. I have 10,977
things I loathe about the Organization, its fans, and the Media that helped
create this cubby camelot. The Chicago Media, Desperate and Hungry
for a Cub Hero, put any number of fools, liars and imposters on a pedestal
(anyone remember the huge back page/front page a certain tuffy rhodes
got for hitting some opening day homers for the flubbies?) as soon as they
possibly can, often not minding that the player may actually be an Arrogant
Jerk (ala a certain Messiah)

Has anyone really seen the MEDIA roast the cubs for being the way they were
this year? Whiny, Arrogant Liars? No. The Media doesnt want to make the cubs look bad, because there goes all the good stories. Kind of like not telling your kids the truth about Santa Claus. They'd rather turn facts around and make the SOX look bad, to keep your mind off all the bad things that really define the Cubs and their organization. Sox fans throw things on the field years ago? Trib and Times will remind you for years about it.
When the cub fans do it? They were protesting. you get the idea.

The MEDIA made Sammy, just like the MEDIA created this "mystique" that surrounds these losers we call the National League Ballclub, just like how the Sheep buy into all of this and call it truth. Lazy Mike (Kiley) is doubled
over in anguish, wondering how hes going to continue writing articles.
Hes currently trying to cover Sammys tracks now .............

Hangar18
10-08-2004, 01:31 PM
I will say this though. A source told me that Shammy cussed out
and totally Dissed Flim-Flam Baker, basically calling out Flim-Flam man
for being just that ............. a Flim-Flam man. Dustys act works
as long as guys like Mike Kiley and the Cubune cover the cubs, theyre
the ones telling the Sheep what to do. Shammy is as much a company
man as Flim-Flam Baker is, but was nice to hear that he Told Dusty to
Jam It, and that he can Kiss His Butt, and watch him leave and whats
he gonna do about it. Bravo Sammy. Tell "Bake" off again man ......:rolleyes:

Justafan
10-08-2004, 01:36 PM
In response to hangar18, I could not DISAGREE more. The Cubs are being bashed every time I turn the radio on. From Sosa, to Baker and on and on and on. It seems as if they are UPSET that the Cubs are not playing right now and are doing everything possible to make sure that 2005 does not repeat 2004.

The issue at hand is that the media WANTS the Cubs to win, while they could give a fat rats ass about what the Sox do. Why not grill Reinsdorf and DEMAND he put a winner on the field? It seems to me the media is giving Hendry advice on who to sign for 2005, while the Sox do not even register.

soxcardsfan6
10-08-2004, 02:58 PM
the cubs r paying him way too much money. I mean come on 17 mil a year. patterson,Lee, and Ramirez are all better hiters. if hendry was such a great GM he wouldnt have signed Sosa for so much money. I bet they aren't going to trade him because "this is his house''. they won't resign garciaparra or alou or clement. they are in trouble come 2005. I STILL CANT STAND THEM SAMMELESS OR NOT! :angry:

Hangar18
10-08-2004, 03:25 PM
In response to hangar18, I could not DISAGREE more. The Cubs are being bashed every time I turn the radio on. From Sosa, to Baker and on and on and on. It seems as if they are UPSET that the Cubs are not playing right now and are doing everything possible to make sure that 2005 does not repeat 2004.

The issue at hand is that the media WANTS the Cubs to win, while they could give a fat rats ass about what the Sox do. Why not grill Reinsdorf and DEMAND he put a winner on the field? It seems to me the media is giving Hendry advice on who to sign for 2005, while the Sox just even register.
THIS IS AN EXCELLENT EXCELLENT POST. Your right Justafan, I probably
shouldve shown my response a bit better. At the beginning of the year, when the meltdowns, the Wood whining, the Alou whining, the Zambrano Whining, the Wood whining again, the Alou whining again, the Hawkins Meltdown, the BillyBob Thornton incident (heh heh), the MEDIA was all about just covering up for the CUBS, but YES, the Tone has CHANGED DRASTICALLY since the Playoffs began. Its almost as if the CHICAGO MEDIA past the DENIAL stage and are now in the ANGER stage of the cubs not making the playoffs.

THE FREAKING CHICAGO MEDIA is going to do everything it can (murphy, kiley) to make sure this doesnt happen again next year. Again, the SOX
flew under the Media radar here, amid word JR isnt going to up payroll like he promised. Where are the SCALDING JR articles? Where? The last week Meltdown cost Mike Kiley, Mark Giangreco and everyone else here, a chance
to eat from the World-Series-Press-Room-Buffett, where all the little sandwiches have World Series Logos, and the napkins all say "cubs world series 2004". Kiley was soooooooooo ready to eat !

The Chicago Media is pissed. They wanted to write Fluffy (if they werent already written) articles about Goats, curses, and little punk Darrens
lineup picks, and such. They waanted the cubs to win .....Badly. It shows in the way theyre still writing about the cubs to the tune of 6 stories to 1, and NEITHER teams in the playoffs!!!!!!
I hate the Chicago Lazy Media

Justafan
10-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Yeah, it is very obvious to me that the roasting the Cubs are getting is because MANY media people are very upset that the Cubs are not playing right now. They remember 2003 and all the stories that they had that came along with the Cubs advancing last year.

I really don't think I have seen more then a handful of Sox articles since the season ended, while the Cubs continue to dominate the front and back pages of all the papers. Same with sports radio.

kittle42
10-08-2004, 03:41 PM
THIS IS AN EXCELLENT EXCELLENT POST. Your right Justafan, I probably
shouldve shown my response a bit better. At the beginning of the year, when the meltdowns, the Wood whining, the Alou whining, the Zambrano Whining, the Wood whining again, the Alou whining again, the Hawkins Meltdown, the BillyBob Thornton incident (heh heh), the MEDIA was all about just covering up for the CUBS, but YES, the Tone has CHANGED DRASTICALLY since the Playoffs began. Its almost as if the CHICAGO MEDIA past the DENIAL stage and are now in the ANGER stage of the cubs not making the playoffs.

THE FREAKING CHICAGO MEDIA is going to do everything it can (murphy, kiley) to make sure this doesnt happen again next year. Again, the SOX
flew under the Media radar here, amid word JR isnt going to up payroll like he promised. Where are the SCALDING JR articles? Where? The last week Meltdown cost Mike Kiley, Mark Giangreco and everyone else here, a chance
to eat from the World-Series-Press-Room-Buffett, where all the little sandwiches have World Series Logos, and the napkins all say "cubs world series 2004". Kiley was soooooooooo ready to eat !

The Chicago Media is pissed. They wanted to write Fluffy (if they werent already written) articles about Goats, curses, and little punk Darrens
lineup picks, and such. They waanted the cubs to win .....Badly. It shows in the way theyre still writing about the cubs to the tune of 6 stories to 1, and NEITHER teams in the playoffs!!!!!!
I hate the Chicago Lazy MediaUnfortunately, still, the Cubs are the main story. However, there have been some articles about Frank and Maggs, but those stories are not really controversial at this point....the whole utterly embarrassing Cubbie soap opera is.

In a few months when spring training time rolls around again and the Cubs are out-storying the Sox AGAIN, then I think we can complain.

As for now....
:whocares

pinwheels3530
10-08-2004, 06:06 PM
It doesn't because I don't base my happiness in baseball on the cubs, I feel happy or sad when my sox our doing good or bad!!!! Who cares about the Cubs!!!!