PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Postseason Hopes

Whitesox029
10-05-2004, 11:39 PM
I voted for the Cards because of their fans being so classy. They didn't have to cheer for us the day we took possession of 1st place in July, but they did.

MRKARNO
10-05-2004, 11:40 PM
I did not know this. I had a lot of respect for Cards fans already and now I have even more respect knowing this.

Whitesox029
10-05-2004, 11:45 PM
I did not know this. I had a lot of respect for Cards fans already and now I have even more respect knowing this.Yeah we had beaten Seattle at the Cell earlier that day to take the lead and they played the highlights on the scoreboard at Busch. The Cubs were there that day which made it even funnier.

1951Campbell
10-05-2004, 11:50 PM
Red Sox.

Because once they win, we'll all be freed of the tragic, loser, so-close storyline that predominates baseball. John Updike, Doris Kearns Goodwin, and Dan Shaunessy will be forced to shut the **** up. New Englanders will be forced to get a life and build identities for themselves that do not revolve around a mere baseball team--they'll be just another team with a recent World Series win under their belt, just like the Twins and the Marlins and D-Backs and other not-so-storied franchises. Rioting will ensue, and maybe some of my friends still stuck in Boston can get an HDTV set and some new home furnishings to soothe their miserable existence.

samram
10-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Red Sox.

Because once they win, we'll all be freed of the tragic, loser, so-close storyline that predominates baseball. John Updike, Doris Kearns Goodwin, and Dan Shaunessy will be forced to shut the **** up. New Englanders will be forced to get a life and build identities for themselves that do not revolve around a mere baseball team--they'll be just another team with a recent World Series win under their belt, just like the Twins and the Marlins and D-Backs and other not-so-storied franchises. Rioting will ensue, and maybe some of my friends still stuck in Boston can get an HDTV set and some new home furnishings to soothe their miserable existence.
I don't know- the Celtics haven't won in almost twenty years. They'll probably come up with a curse for the Celtics and they can continue living in they way they've grown accustomed.

Baby Fisk
10-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Red Sox.

Because once they win, we'll all be freed of the tragic, loser, so-close storyline that predominates baseball. John Updike, Doris Kearns Goodwin, and Dan Shaunessy will be forced to shut the **** up. New Englanders will be forced to get a life and build identities for themselves that do not revolve around a mere baseball team--they'll be just another team with a recent World Series win under their belt, just like the Twins and the Marlins and D-Backs and other not-so-storied franchises. Rioting will ensue, and maybe some of my friends still stuck in Boston can get an HDTV set and some new home furnishings to soothe their miserable existence.These are exactly my thoughts, 1951Campbell. It's like you were channelling my mind through your words or something. I'm sick and tired of the ENDLESS elegiac lamentations that pour out of New England every ****ing fall. Barely any of it is poetic or well-written, just relentless heaps of bilge posing as sports lit. Part of me wants the Cardinals to beat the RedSox in game 7, but more and more of me wants the Bostonians to win one already so their legions of faux-literary memorialists can have their great big orgasm and **** already...plus that would shatter the increasingly troubling "connection" that people are trying to build between Boston and the Cubs. That sickens me most.

1951Campbell
10-06-2004, 11:20 AM
I don't know- the Celtics haven't won in almost twenty years. They'll probably come up with a curse for the Celtics and they can continue living in they way they've grown accustomed.

The Curse of M.L. Carr or Ricky Pitino...take your pick!

:D:

Palehose13
10-06-2004, 11:27 AM
I'm pulling for either the Astros or Cards. Id really like it to be the Astros cause I think that will hurt the cub fans more.

:lynch&mcfail
"It's all Stone's fault. If he hadn't opened his trap, we would have won the wildcard and then WE would have been the WS champs."

samram
10-06-2004, 11:32 AM
The Curse of M.L. Carr or Ricky Pitino...take your pick!

Definitely, the Curse of the Pitino.:cool:

samram
10-06-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm pulling for either the Astros or Cards. Id really like it to be the Astros cause I think that will hurt the cub fans more.

:lynch&mcfail
"It's all Stone's fault. If he hadn't opened his trap, we would have won the wildcard and then WE would have been the WS champs."
I think it would kill them more to see the Cards win just because of the built-in hatred and the fact that no one really gave them a chance this year.

I'm rooting for the Dodgers, although I think I'm gonna have to change that by the end of this weekend.:(:

Chrisaway
10-06-2004, 11:50 PM
I bought a Cardinals hat this weekend for the sole purpose of sticking it to Cubs fans (hmm perhaps a Reds or Braves hat would've been better). But they've always been my 2nd favorite team since my best friend is a die hard Cards fan who roots for the Sox on the side.

HomeFish
10-07-2004, 12:00 AM
From 2001 to 2003 I predicted the Cards for the NL Central and the NL Pennant. They never came through, and I always lost money.

Then, in 2004, I did not bet on them to win the NL Central. And, behold...

Anyway, I am very grateful to both the Astros and the Cardinals for their work on the Accursed Ones this year, and would find it very difficult to choose between the two of them. I bought a lot of Astros and Cardinals stuff this year and went to games of both teams (I saw the Cards in St. Louis twice, the Astros in Milwaukee). The Dodgers I also like, because they have two of my favorite pitchers, Nomo and Ishii.

All I can do in the NL is cheer against the Braves, I suppose. 1998 and 2004 apart, I just don't like them. Their ineffectiveness in 2003 didn't really help their cause with me.

soxwon
10-07-2004, 08:51 PM
come on people

as fans of an AL team, you have to root for the AL team in the series.

im hoping its the TWINS.

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-07-2004, 08:53 PM
come on people

as fans of an AL team, you have to root for the AL team in the series.

im hoping its the TWINS.
:tsk:somebody help this poor, lost, soul :help:

MRKARNO
10-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Red Sox.

I'm in agreeance

soxwon
10-07-2004, 10:42 PM
:tsk:somebody help this poor, lost, soul :help:
ive never rooted for the NL team, im an american league fan
because its the BEST league.
oh i do recall rooting for the cards in 67.
alot of you werent born yet, that was a great series
sl-bost

1951Campbell
10-08-2004, 12:00 AM
oh i do recall rooting for the cards in 67.
alot of you werent born yet, that was a great series
sl-bostHell, any WS with Boston is good. You never know quite how they'll lose in seven!

samram
10-08-2004, 06:40 PM
You know, I'm starting to think those who are rooting for Boston to win just so their fans will shut up have the right idea. Chris Berman is having a hard time restraining himself on the broadcast today and I don't need to see Gammons give a history lesson on the Sawx every other day. They're basically Cubs fans with knowledge of the game.