PDA

View Full Version : Sox Least Popular Team In MLB?

hold2dibber
10-05-2004, 06:50 PM
The Sox had the lowest road attendance of any team in major league baseball this year, for whatever it's worth: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance?sort=away_avg&year=2004&seasonType=2

cornball
10-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Notice the whole division makes up the bottom of the list. The Sox division makes up the 25, 26, 29, 30 and 31st slots. Montreal and Tampa (for example) benefit from the home attendance of the teams in their respective division. This is so true with the unbalanced schedules.

benjamin
10-05-2004, 07:09 PM
It actually somewhat makes sense...

Look at the entire AL Central, all five teams are in the bottom 7.

Being that the majority of a team's road games are played in their own division, and that we had the highest home attendance of our division, it makes a bit of sense. (Add on the fact that we had a few in Montreal.)

Of course, not having Frank and Magglio sure hurts as well.

Randar68
10-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Notice the whole division makes up the bottom of the list. The Sox division makes up the 25, 26, 29, 30 and 31st slots. Montreal and Tampa (for example) benefit from the home attendance of the teams in their respective division. This is so true with the unbalanced schedules.
Yep. Some of the worst teams in home attendance are in the Central. KC/Detroit/Cleveland and Minny... All of those teams except Cleveland barely draw when they are good, let alone when they stink like Detroit and KC did.

HITMEN OF 77
10-05-2004, 07:23 PM
The low attendance on the road can be blammed on Konerko and Lee. I think we should have thread of which player is better or which one we should keep now.

SomebodyToldMe
10-05-2004, 08:00 PM
The low attendance on the road can be blammed on Konerko and Lee. I think we should have thread of which player is better or which one we should keep now.
hahahahahahahaha

Oh man. Post of the week!

longshot7
10-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Well, it's certainly not my fault. I went to all three games in Anaheim.

chisoxcardsbabe
10-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Well, it's certainly not my fault. I went to all three games in Anaheim.
.....I went to four in Oakland....and was rewarded with spotting Scott Schoeneweis at Nordstrom later after one game....

marlins03
10-05-2004, 09:31 PM
White Sox the least pop. team thats odd i would think Rays or Tigers would be the least popular team since Rays havent won a World Series nor a Pennent

PavanoBeltran'05
10-05-2004, 09:37 PM
When nobody's going to Royals/Tigers/Indians games because they're out of it, you can expect such. Yankees have those marquee names to attract fans, just like the Red Sox, Angels, Mariners, etc. Do people fill seats to see Konerko? No. But they do pack the seats to see Lee. Keep Lee:bandance:

CubKilla
10-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Makes sense when you think about it. No one wants to go see a team with a speedy lead-off man who can't steal bases, a 2nd half RF who can't hit, a 3B who can't hit, a major market team w/o a 5th starter, and a pitcher that, every 5th day, just goes through the motions.

Whitesox029
10-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Sox Least Popular Team In MLB? Without a doubt.

1951Campbell
10-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Sort it by average. We're ahead of the Twins and the current World Series Champion marlins.

Sort it by % of capacity. We're 17th.

Sort it by total home attendance. We're 21st.

Dire, but not so dire as you all would have it.

benjamin
10-06-2004, 12:03 AM
White Sox the least pop. team thats odd i would think Rays or Tigers would be the least popular team since Rays havent won a World Series nor a Pennent
The Devil Rays travel to Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park 9 times each, with crowds there entirely to see the home team.

We, on the other hand, got a total of 7 games in those two parks while spending an abundance of time in front of 13,000 of Detroit, Kansas City, and Cleveland's finest.

There's no doubt we'd be behind the Rays in ROAD attendance.

Rush20
10-06-2004, 10:53 AM
.....I went to four in Oakland....and was rewarded with spotting Scott Schoeneweis at Nordstrom later after one game....
LOL! That SNL skit is one on my favorites of all time. First BOC's classic song with Christopher Walken! Outrageous!

:D:

cornball
10-06-2004, 11:21 AM
I thought you were going to say it dropped off after Reed was traded.:o:

cubhater
10-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Too bad he wasn't applying for a job at Nordstroms.

SoxFan14
10-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Do people fill seats to see Konerko? No. But they do pack the seats to see Lee. Keep Lee

What???? Who exactly fills the seats to see Carlos Lee? I wouldn't say fans pack the place to see Konerko either, but he's definitely more of a fan favorite than Lee.