PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else hear/watch:

NSSoxFan2
10-05-2004, 06:33 PM
I was watching sports page yesterday night on CLTV with Lou Canellis and Mike Bloomberg and even though they were talking about the sCrUBS for the whole show, Bloomberg said something really interesting towards the end.

Not a direct quote:
"You heard it hear first the Sox will be major players for Carlos Beltran."

Did anyone else watch this too. What were your reactions?

MRKARNO
10-05-2004, 06:36 PM
I didn't watch the show, but if I had then it would not have been the first time we have heard this here.

balke
10-05-2004, 06:38 PM
We were frontrunners mid-season, no reason we wouldn't go after him now. IF this Frank Thomas surgery stuff is true, we really need to pick up somone like Beltran, or Andruw Jones. Two Players we have been rumored to want for a while.

Jjav829
10-05-2004, 06:42 PM
We were frontrunners mid-season, no reason we wouldn't go after him now. IF this Frank Thomas surgery stuff is true, we really need to pick up somone like Beltran, or Andruw Jones. Two Players we have been rumored to want for a while.Big difference between the two. Beltran would be worth $14-15 million a year. Jones is not worth $13 million a year.

I didn't hear but Bloomberg but it wouldn't surprise me. He was talking like this on CLTV's roundtable discussion Sunday night. He always drops statements like this. Whether he has any good info or not is another story.

I don't care how big of a player we are in this thing. If he's not wearing a White Sox uniform next season it really doesn't mean much.

DumpJerry
10-05-2004, 06:43 PM
We were frontrunners mid-season, no reason we wouldn't go after him now. IF this Frank Thomas surgery stuff is true, we really need to pick up somone like Beltran, or Andruw Jones. Two Players we have been rumored to want for a while.What Frank Thomas surgery stuff?:(: You mean Maggs' surgery in Austria?

Ol' No. 2
10-05-2004, 06:43 PM
I was watching sports page yesterday night on CLTV with Lou Canellis and Mike Bloomberg and even though they were talking about the sCrUBS for the whole show, Bloomberg said something really interesting towards the end.

Not a direct quote:

Did anyone else watch this too. What were your reactions?This must be the first case ever of sports reporters making statements like that with absolutely no foundation.

Personally, I hope they're wrong. It's not that I wouldn't like to see Beltran patrolling CF in a Sox uniform, but signing Beltran would only divert money that IMO, would be better spent on pitching.

DumpJerry
10-05-2004, 06:51 PM
What Frank Thomas surgery stuff?:(: You mean Maggs' surgery in Austria?I just found the news/thread about Frank.:(: Does the news ever get better for us?

Clembasbal
10-05-2004, 09:20 PM
IF Beltran is in a Sox uniform next year, he will hit over 50 homeruns.

The only problem is that he will not be in a Sox uniform next year.

CubKilla
10-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Bloomberg also said the Cubs were a lock for the NL WildCard the day they acquired Nomar.

He's an idiot.

PavanoBeltran'05
10-05-2004, 09:44 PM
I don't see us getting Beltran, much to my ultimate chagrin, but I could see us getting Andruw Jones. We're good at getting that cheaper alternative.

Just like we know already, when KW gets his eyes on somebody, he seems to pull the strings to get it done. He was on Jones' trail last year.

The weird thing about all of this (the wild card, if you will) is Ozzie. He seems to be the recruiter for all of these Latin guys. If we find some money to throw at Carlos B., and it comes down to a couple of teams, I bet he could pick up Beltran a couple of millions of dollars cheaper.

The difference between 12 and 14 million dollars a year isn't that big a jump in the terms of a player's salary, especially when increased comfort is involved.
Beltran would be much happier in a less pressure cooker environment that Chicago would bring as opposed to New York, for instance.

I am really intrigued by the Ozzie recruting potential. I truly feel that he could end up being an enormous asset to recruiting as long as there's some money to back him up. Again, that would be the BIG if.

shagar69
10-05-2004, 09:47 PM
I don't see us getting Beltran, much to my ultimate chagrin, but I could see us getting Andruw Jones. We're good at getting that cheaper alternative.

Just like we know already, when KW gets his eyes on somebody, he seems to pull the strings to get it done. He was on Jones' trail last year.

The weird thing about all of this (the wild card, if you will) is Ozzie. He seems to be the recruiter for all of these Latin guys. If we find some money to throw at Carlos B., and it comes down to a couple of teams, I bet he could pick up Beltran a couple of millions of dollars cheaper.

The difference between 12 and 14 million dollars a year isn't that big a jump in the terms of a player's salary, especially when increased comfort is involved.
Beltran would be much happier in a less pressure cooker environment that Chicago would bring as opposed to New York, for instance.

I am really intrigued by the Ozzie recruting potential. I truly feel that he could end up being an enormous asset to recruiting as long as there's some money to back him up. Again, that would be the BIG if.
getting jones would be a good move. although i dont know what we would give up. maybe PK?

RKMeibalane
10-05-2004, 10:03 PM
What Frank Thomas surgery stuff?:(: You mean Maggs' surgery in Austria?
Frank is considering having an ankle-fusion procedure done in order to minimize the risk of reinjuring his ankle. If he opts for the surgery, he will likely be out until the middle of Spring Training.

RKMeibalane
10-05-2004, 10:03 PM
I just found the news/thread about Frank.:(: Does the news ever get better for us?
:reinsy

"No, and it's ALL YOUR FAULT!"

DVsoxfan
10-05-2004, 10:14 PM
I'll take Beltran over Andruw Jones any day.

PavanoBeltran'05
10-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Frank is considering having an ankle-fusion procedure done in order to minimize the risk of reinjuring his ankle. If he opts for the surgery, he will likely be out until the middle of Spring Training.Actually, if he opts for ankle fusion surgery, he's as good as done. Period.
Beckett21 and I went into it on the Thomas surgery thread.

PavanoBeltran'05
10-05-2004, 10:16 PM
I'll take Beltran over Andruw Jones any day.Who wouldn't?? But we'll take a Vette if we can't afford a Viper, no???

Flight #24
10-05-2004, 10:32 PM
getting jones would be a good move. although i dont know what we would give up. maybe PK?
I'd bet if you assume the salary, you can get Jones a lot cheaper than that. Of course, unless you factor a major payroll bump in, you'd probably have to deal Koney anyway, but that would hopefully be for some pitching.

DVsoxfan
10-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Who wouldn't?? But we'll take a Vette if we can't afford a Viper, no???
Now youre talkin my language...I love cars. I just have a good feeling about us signing Beltran. If it doesn't happen, oh well. I'd imagine that whoever we trade, we'll get pitching and/or something else that will address our needs. Though, it would be nice to make a splash in the FA market for once...

Whitesox029
10-05-2004, 11:08 PM

Not a direct quote:

Did anyone else watch this too. What were your reactions?My reaction: "Can he bunt?"

Jjav829
10-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Who wouldn't?? But we'll take a Vette if we can't afford a Viper, no???
Only problem is that Jones is playing more like an Accord lately. And would you really want the Vette if it was only a few bucks less than the Viper? Point being, Andruw isn't worth $12.5 million. He's no longer a base thief. He's not the most patient and has developed into more of an all or nothing type player. If we're not going to get Beltran, there's no point in overpaying for Jones.

shagar69
10-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Only problem is that Jones is playing more like an Accord lately. And would you really want the Vette if it was only a few bucks less than the Viper? Point being, Andruw isn't worth $12.5 million. He's no longer a base thief. He's not the most patient and has developed into more of an all or nothing type player. If we're not going to get Beltran, there's no point in overpaying for Jones.
hey whats wrong with accords???!!! my mom drives one! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :)

Whitesox029
10-07-2004, 01:39 AM
IF Beltran is in a Sox uniform next year, he will hit over 50 homeruns.

The only problem is that he will not be in a Sox uniform next year.Oh he may be in a Sox uniform; it's just not likely that it will say "Chicago" or "White" anywhere on it. Or have pinstripes.

Flight #24
10-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Oh he may be in a Sox uniform; it's just not likely that it will say "Chicago" or "White" anywhere on it. Or have pinstripes.
I'm not sure that he'll be on EITHER side of town if the Trib's report this mornig is true. They had him asking for $20mil. And given his performance down the stretch, his history, his age, etc and his performance in game 1 (assuiming he doesn't slump in the rest of the playoffs), I think he'll have bigger $$$ teams stepping up for him. And while I could see a slight, small possibility that the Sox would go for a $15mil deal, I don't see any that they go for $20. Cubs are going to have a hard time with that as well given raises to ARam, Lee, Wood and the amount of Sosa's deal that they'll have to eat assuming thay can trade him at all.

Jerome
10-07-2004, 11:30 AM

Yeah, Beltran seemed to like it in Kansas City. No Pressure.

Justafan
10-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Speaking of Corvette's, has anyone seen the 2005 Vette? That car is way cool. It has 400hp, along with navigation, XM satelite radio and on-star. This car rivals the Viper any day of week. Sorry about going off topic:redneck

pinwheels3530
10-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Bloomberg also said the Cubs were a lock for the NL WildCard the day they acquired Nomar.

He's an idiot.

He was right they should have won the wild card, but they choked it away!!!

Rumor is Beltran has family in the area and is friendly with Ozzie:whistle: , but I still prefer this guy if he's healthy............:maggs

Flight #24
10-07-2004, 12:44 PM
He was right they should have won the wild card, but they choked it away!!!

Rumor is Beltran has family in the area and is friendly with Ozzie:whistle: , but I still prefer this guy if he's healthy............:maggs
Quick Ozzie - fly down another niece to meet him during the playoffs!!!

Mickster
10-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Only problem is that Jones is playing more like an Accord lately.
I don't know about this analogy. Accords are pretty reliable... :D:

steff
10-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Speaking of Corvette's, has anyone seen the 2005 Vette? That car is way cool. It has 400hp, along with navigation, XM satelite radio and on-star. This car rivals the Viper any day of week. Sorry about going off topic:redneck

Any day now there will be one in my garage I can just feel it... :rolleyes:

Justafan
10-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Any day now there will be one in my garage I can just feel it... :rolleyes:
Are you serious, or is the eye rolling saying you are dreaming it will be?:smile:

Mickster
10-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Are you serious, or is the eye rolling saying you are dreaming it will be?:smile:
If I can convince Jim to trade in the '04, there will be... :D:

steff
10-07-2004, 01:23 PM

Oh.. I'm serious. Afterall.. the one '04 we have now has.. gasp.... 3k miles on it..

steff
10-07-2004, 01:24 PM
If I can convince Jim to trade in the '04, there will be... :D:

Hey.. you pay for it.. he can trade for it.. :D: :wink:

Justafan
10-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Like I said, the 2005 is really a thing of beauty. I had the opportunity to sit in one this past weekend and I was in awe. The car has it's own cell phone built in but you can't see it. You simply tell the car to dial a number and it DOES IT FOR YOU. I was floored. The Viper does not hold a candle to this Vette.