PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Payrolls???

PavanoBeltran'05
10-05-2004, 05:59 PM
I was thinking about the teams that made the playoffs this year.....

Yankees, Red Sox (big spenders..the kings of bling)
Angels (spent a wad on Vlad and Colon)
Bravos (spend some $$..not sure on the numbers)
'Stros (went free agent crazy)
Dodgers (see Yankees)
Cards (not crazy, but significant payroll)

This is why the Twins need to win this series. Turn the clock back, much like the Patriots and Pistons have done. There needs to be more of an emphasis on development and not spending. Maybe having a team built like this coming out and winning the series will pave the way for the smaller market team to win.

GiveMeSox
10-05-2004, 06:42 PM

Dodgers (see Yankees)

This is why the Twins need to win this series. Turn the clock back, much like the Patriots and Pistons have done. There needs to be more of an emphasis on development and not spending. Maybe having a team built like this coming out and winning the series will pave the way for the smaller market team to win.
Here are the teams exact payrolls according to this site http://www.cfl.ca/BaseballMoneyMatters/salaries_team.html

Yankees: $182.59 Mil, $212.67 w/luxury tax
Red Sox: $125.208 Mil ?? w/luxury tax
Angels: $101.08 Mil
Twins: $53.58 Mil
Braves: $88.51 Mil
Astros: $74.66 Mil
Dodgers: $89.69 Mil
Cardinals: $75.63 Mil

Avg Playoff Payroll = $98.86 Mil
Avg Playoff Paroll w/o Yankees = $86.9 Mil

White Sox Payroll = $65.2 Mil
Cubs Payroll = 91.56 Mil

**** All Payrolls are 2004 opening day payrolls. Season ending payrolls are not available yet, although all the team above will only have an increase to there original!!

benjamin
10-05-2004, 07:01 PM

Dodgers (see Yankees)

This is why the Twins need to win this series. Turn the clock back, much like the Patriots and Pistons have done. There needs to be more of an emphasis on development and not spending. Maybe having a team built like this coming out and winning the series will pave the way for the smaller market team to win.The Patriots and Pistons both participate in leagues where a salary cap is in place. As such, there is no such thing as 'small-market' and 'large-market' with respect to the payrolls of their competition.

Further, while I applaud your idea of rooting for the David amongst the Goliaths in the AL, you lose me a bit with your seemingly contradictive name and signature (As both Pavano and Beltran would cost money).:dunno:

Additionally, not trying to single you out, but I find it funny how many people hold the perception that Houston has such a huge payroll and went "free agent crazy" as you put it.

In reality, Houston paid out approximately $65 million this season while our White Sox paid out just over $64 million. Houston's opening day payroll figure is often reported in the $70s and $80 millions, but a large chunk of that is deferred and as far as what they are paying this year, it's not much more than the Sox.

Here's a good list of the approximate dollars that the playoff teams paid out this season.

*Note: Deferred money is not included, as the teams won't have to worry about paying that money this season.

New York: $183 mil

Boston: $131 mil

Anaheim: $122 mil

Minnesota: $56 mil

Los Angeles: $93 mil

Atlanta: $85 mil

St. Louis: $82 mil

Houston: $65 mil

HomeFish
10-05-2004, 07:09 PM
I did not see New York, Boston, and the Cubs trim payroll after Florida won the World Series with defense and pitching. I fail to see why the Twins winning anything would be different.

Palehose13
10-05-2004, 07:35 PM
IMO, I think you're looking at this the wrong way, pavanobeltran. See, the past 3 world champs (Marlins, Angels, D'backs) are "small market" teams. Since they won the WS, it shows that small market teams can compete with the big market teams. In order for baseball to have a legitimate reason (I think there are a ton of reasons) to put a salary cap in place, big market free-spending clubs need to dominate in the playoffs and WS.

Besides...no way I root for the twins. Go cards or 'stros!

Lip Man 1
10-05-2004, 08:12 PM
The only number that counts is that big spending teams are dominating playoff spots. It happened this year, it's happened in the past and it will keep happening in the future.

But please feel free to tell us how once every fifty years the Sox will get 'lucky' and go to a World Series on a small payroll!

Lip

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-05-2004, 08:41 PM
The marlins brought in a solid top of the line FA vet in Ivan Rodriguez which costed them something like $10 million for one year before they won the world series. The White Sox need to bring in a DIFFERENCE maker through Free agency, which they haven't done in quite a while. Last offseason the white sox brought in guys like Uribe, Politte, Takatsu, Jackson, and Timo Perez. None of those types of acquistions are going to put a team over the top. And I'd hardly consider the 2001 WS Diamondbacks a small market team, they had Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson along with guys such as Steve Finley and Luis Gonzalez. I'm pretty happy the Twins were the only "small market" team to make it this year, I hate when teams such as the Angels and the Marlins win it all and give Jerry Reinsdorf an excuse to not make any big moves.

Palehose13
10-05-2004, 08:43 PM
The only number that counts is that big spending teams are dominating playoff spots. It happened this year, it's happened in the past and it will keep happening in the future.

But please feel free to tell us how once every fifty years the Sox will get 'lucky' and go to a World Series on a small payroll!

Lip
Who is this directed towards?

marlins03
10-05-2004, 09:02 PM
PavanoBeltran05': i rather pavano re-sign :D: i dont mind Beltran lol i like the White Sox though by the way they have some of the best fans around :smile:

Lip Man 1
10-05-2004, 10:13 PM
No one in particular. Just the 'optimistic dreamers' who choose to ignore facts and history to keep postulating how 'happy days' are just around the corner on a modest payroll.

Lip

TwinKess
10-05-2004, 11:56 PM
IMO, I think you're looking at this the wrong way, pavanobeltran. See, the past 3 world champs (Marlins, Angels, D'backs) are "small market" teams. Since they won the WS, it shows that small market teams can compete with the big market teams. In order for baseball to have a legitimate reason (I think there are a ton of reasons) to put a salary cap in place, big market free-spending clubs need to dominate in the playoffs and WS.

Besides...no way I root for the twins. Go cards or 'stros!
Yeah, but in each of those cases, who did those teams have to beat to win/get to the world series?

Oh yeah, damn Yankmees

bigfoot
10-06-2004, 12:33 AM

Lip
I'm with you all the way on this one, Lip. If JR thinks that because the Twins have had a bit of success with a skinny payroll, a similar payroll will produce a like result in another franchise, he's all wet. When the Twins lose enough of their good players through trade, F/A or retirement, they will return to below .500 status. Especially if the Sox put on a burst of great(not good) F/A signings and a all-out foray into the land of "big-market" logic. This could expose the Twins as just an "OK" team.

Palehose13
10-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Yeah, but in each of those cases, who did those teams have to beat to win/get to the world series?

Oh yeah, damn Yankmees
Exactly. I'm all for a salary cap, but as long as David keeps beating the Goliath of baseball I don't see it happening.