PDA

View Full Version : Nancy Staying!!!

FightingBillini
10-05-2004, 03:03 PM
I wrote Brooks Boyer last week about Nancy, and here is the response he sent me:
Bill,

Thanks for the note and sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Organ music will be at US Cellular as long as I have a say in the game presentation. I agree with you that there is clearly a nostalgic feeling in the park when an organ plays that takes you back in time. It will not be the only music as we need to cater to many people. I am sure you understand.

Nancy is great, no question about it. If Nancy decides that she does not want to do it anymore, we will find someone to replace her. It is my hope that she continues to be part of our presentation for years to come, but that will be up to Nancy, and, ultimately, the fans.

Therefore, you can put to rest any rumors and consider the sources of the rumors. One of which was the Chicago Tribune, owner of the Cubs.

Thanks for the note and all the best,

Brooks

santo=dorf
10-05-2004, 03:12 PM
One of which was the Chicago Tribune, owner of the Cubs.
I LOVE IT!!!

:threadrules:

mweflen
10-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Put it on the board... Yes!

Now if they could just trash the canned music altogether...

Lip Man 1
10-05-2004, 03:34 PM
Sounds like the organization is getting a mite 'testy' at the Cubs doesn't it? To bad the owner isn't. Remember 'Chicago has always been a Cubs town...'

Lip

jackbrohamer
10-05-2004, 03:42 PM
If Nancy decides that she does not want to do it anymore, we will find someone to replace her. It is my hope that she continues to be part of our presentation for years to come, but that will be up to Nancy, and, ultimately, the fans.
Let's hope the front office doesn't "decide" for her that she doesn't want to do it anymore. Like they did for Jeff Torborg when he "decided" he wanted to leave the Sox so he manage closer to his ailing mother in NY.

Tekijawa
10-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Sounds like the organization is getting a mite 'testy' at the Cubs doesn't it? To bad the owner isn't. Remember 'Chicago has always been a Cubs town...'

Lip
Let's not forget he actually wanted to BUY the Cubs First but they weren't for sale until a few months after he bought the Sox...

FightingBillini
10-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Let's not forget he actually wanted to BUY the Cubs First but they weren't for sale until a few months after he bought the Sox...Of course. They needed to wait to see what the Sox sold for so they could get three times that. I mean, its a proud franchise with a long history, and a beautiful ballpark. The Cubs are worth at least 3 times as much as the Sox, probably more.

:reinsy
"Damn straight. They are Chicago AND America's team. Which brings me to our Opening Day Promotion next year. We will give out Cubs hats, so all Sox fans can root for the Cubs like they should. The seats will be green next year... but not for long. Every tuesday will be "paint the house blue" day. We will give out Cubs t-shirts to all fans. I would like to remind Cub fans who cant get tickets to the shrine, there are PLENTY of tickets available to see Chicago's other team. Please come and root against the Sox, it's your town! Tough break for those Cubbies this year. Lost in their collapse is the fact that they probably had the best baseball team in Chicago since nineteen ninety fo... nevermind. You might as well root for the Cubs, becuase WE arent going to the playoffs anytime soon. Dont even think about winning a World Series, they cost money.

http://www.jatkoaika.com/albumit/chicago/Wirtz_William_Chicago.jpg "Tell me about it Jer. Stanley Cups are just as bad. I mean, c'mon. How can they expect us poor owners to get by making a mere 200% profit. We are having a lockout now to ensure that I can have a differnt color Bently for each day of the week."

:reinsy "Hmm, lockout, you say? Tell me more."

Mohoney
10-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Let's not forget he actually wanted to BUY the Cubs First but they weren't for sale until a few months after he bought the Sox...
Oh, what might have been...

PaleHoseGeorge
10-05-2004, 04:38 PM
I believe the Cubune paid $21 million to Bill Wrigley to buy the Flubs in 1981. Reinsdorf paid $20 million to Bill Veeck to buy the Sox just a few months earlier.

Any difference in the value of these two franchises in the subsequent 23+ years is STRICTLY THE FAULT OF WHITE SOX FANS.

"That's what I've been trying to tell you! Only gosox41 seems to listen!"

Justafan
10-05-2004, 04:47 PM
I believe the Cubune paid $21 million to Bill Wrigley to buy the Flubs in 1981. Reinsdorf paid $20 million to Bill Veeck to buy the Sox just a few months earlier.

Any difference in the value of these two franchises in the subsequent 23+ years is STRICTLY THE FAULT OF WHITE SOX FANS.

"That's what I've been trying to tell you! Only gosox41 seems to listen!"

I wonder what the actual difference is(Sox/Cubs)as far as who is worth what.

HomeFish
10-05-2004, 04:49 PM
iirc, its somewhere in the area of 100 million; or, at least, the Sox figure starts with a two and the other one with a three.

Rex Hudler
10-05-2004, 06:47 PM
iirc, its somewhere in the area of 100 million; or, at least, the Sox figure starts with a two and the other one with a three.
Yep, Forbes estimates the Cubs worth at $358 million. The Sox at $248 million. This valuation based on finances including the 2003 season, but before this season.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Yep, Forbes estimates the Cubs worth at $358 million. The Sox at $248 million. This valuation based on finances including the 2003 season, but before this season.LMAO! So to hear Reinsdorf (and gosox41) tell it, each and every Sox Fan is responsible for $100 million in "lost" appreciation on the franchise. Remember-- this is ALL our fault.

Based on 2 million paid attendance, my share comes to $50.
:cool:

"Alright all you cheapskate bastards, pay up!"

:ohno
"How do you want it, Jerry? Cash or check?"

:gulp:

Daver
10-05-2004, 07:19 PM
A good chunk of that hundred mil is due to the fact that the Cubs own their ballpark, as opposed to leasing one owned by someone else.

That ballpark is on the Cubs books as an asset, and they pay taxes on it as such, while JR can deduct his lease payments on Comiskey from his taxes, as a lease is a liability, not an asset.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-05-2004, 07:26 PM
A good chunk of that hundred mil is due to the fact that the Cubs own their ballpark, as opposed to leasing one owned by someone else.

That ballpark is on the Cubs books as an asset, and they pay taxes on it as such, while JR can deduct his lease payments on Comiskey from his taxes, as a lease is a liability, not an asset.
Actually, the sweetheart lease Reinsdorf got on New Comiskey was the single-greatest boon to the franchise's value. I believe Reinsdorf and his buddies realized a paper gain of nearly $100 million the moment the deal was approved by the Illinois General Assembly.

There was considerable ink devoted to this topic back in 1989-91, and the Sox passed it off as simply the cost of doing business, i.e. making the team into a champion. We all know where that all led.
:cool:

"We'll get started on that championship dynasty just as soon as I'm done busting the union."

Daver
10-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Actually, the sweetheart lease Reinsdorf got on New Comiskey was the single-greatest boon to the franchise's value. I believe Reinsdorf and his buddies realized a paper gain of nearly $100 million the moment the deal was approved by the Illinois General Assembly.

There was considerable ink devoted to this topic back in 1989-91, and the Sox passed it off as simply the cost of doing business, i.e. making the team into a champion. We all know where that all led.

He realized a paper gain that keeps on giving, he signed a lease that had a minimum lease payment per year, subject to deductions based on attendance, but the document has a minimum lease value, which is fine and dandy as a figure for his accountants to use when preparing the Federal Taxes for the Chicago White Sox inc.

I'm sure only Gosox41 will be surprised by this.

Whitesox029
10-05-2004, 11:23 PM

LipMaybe JR should sell to a partnership of Gates/Boyer---Gates will provide funds, Boyer will run the team.