PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 10/5

Lip Man 1
10-05-2004, 01:11 PM
"I will be doing a lot of the talking, they can't lie to me anymore and tell me how good all these guys are. I've seen most of them now and some heads are going to roll." --Ozzie Guillen on what his role is going to be at the upcoming organizational meetings. To Joe Cowley / Daily Southtown.

Interesting choice of words don't you think?

Lip

HebrewHammer
10-05-2004, 01:47 PM
I wonder who Ozzie thinks has been lying to him?

:KW

"Why are you looking at me?"

Mohoney
10-05-2004, 02:28 PM
"I will be doing a lot of the talking, they can't lie to me anymore and tell me how good all these guys are. I've seen most of them now and some heads are going to roll." --Ozzie Guillen on what his role is going to be at the upcoming organizational meetings. To Joe Cowley / Daily Southtown.

Interesting choice of words don't you think?

Lip
I think that a man that calls Neal Cotts and Jon Adkins "bright spots" should just learn to shut his trap once in a while.

ewokpelts
10-05-2004, 02:31 PM
I wonder who Ozzie thinks has been lying to him?

:KW

"Why are you looking at me?":reinsy
I only write the checks here.

soxfan26
10-05-2004, 02:33 PM
I think that a man that calls Neal Cotts and Jon Adkins "bright spots" should just learn to shut his trap once in a while.
So true... Quotes from Ozzie just amuze me by now.

jordan23ventura
10-07-2004, 02:21 AM
Totally agree. While I like the fact that Ozzie says what is on his mind, and I also like the fact that we have a media-friendly manager that is intriguing to the fans, I have to say he seems to contradict himself like this a lot.

Pick one or the other. Either rip someone, praise someone, or say nothing if you're not sure which road to take.

34 Inch Stick
10-07-2004, 08:21 AM
Hey Oz, does that one year that is left on your contract tell you something about who will lose in a power struggle? Anybody who lied to you also lied to us. Those are the same people who hyped you as a good manager.

SOXSINCE'70
10-07-2004, 08:27 AM
I know I should wait to see what KW does this offseason to fill the swiss cheese-esque holes on this team (don't worry Lip,I won't hold my breath),but are the 2005 White Sox even a 4th place team??

The Twins will be better.
The Tribe will definitely be better.
The Tigers will continue to improve.

Until this team's ownership understands that a 58-64 mill payroll won't get it done (once again,I won't hold my breath),the future looks dim to me.:(:

Dan H
10-07-2004, 10:07 AM
I know I should wait to see what KW does this offseason to fill the swiss cheese-esque holes on this team (don't worry Lip,I won't hold my breath),but are the 2005 White Sox even a 4th place team??

Until this team's ownership understands that a 58-64 mill payroll won't get it done (once again,I won't hold my breath),the future looks dim to me.:(:
I agree. Ordonez is not returning and one has to say the future of Frank Thomas is up in the air. This is no time for inaction and hoping breaks go your way like in 2004.(Will Danny Wright ever pitch again?) Open the season with a bunch of question marks and contending will be a pipe dream.

CubKilla
10-07-2004, 11:48 AM
You don't need a high payroll to win..... especially the AL Central as it is right now. You do however need people running the Organization that have Clue 1 as to how to market and operate a team that has always been a second-class Organization in a major market. JR gets what he pays for..... such as a GM that trades for Carl Everett and Robbie Alomar Jr. not once, but TWICE, both during LOSING campaigns. Great use of resources for a team that is consistently screaming poor.

BackInBlack
10-07-2004, 07:15 PM
You don't need a high payroll to win.....

Of the 8 teams that qualified for the playoffs, 6 of them are in the Top 10 in payroll. Houston is No. 12, and Minnesota is around No. 18.

$$$ tends to win games. Otherwise, you're hoping to catch lightning in a bottle, just as the Florida Marlins did last year. Same for Arizona a couple years back. Where are they now?

Lip Man 1
10-07-2004, 09:14 PM
When they won the title Arizona had one of the highest payrolls in baseball.

Lip

NonetheLoaiza
10-07-2004, 11:27 PM
iirc, the diamondbacks are still hurting financially from that world series team.

MRKARNO
10-07-2004, 11:37 PM
iirc, the diamondbacks are still hurting financially from that world series team.

They're drowning in debt.

dcb33
10-07-2004, 11:56 PM

I don't think the Sox are a 4th place team at all, and I think with smart acquisitions up the middle and in the bullpen we could definitely compete.
Cleveland, mark my words, will be next year's KC Royals. Their pitching staff fell apart the second half (especially Lee and Westbrook), and that bullpen needs tons of help. I don't think Detroit will be much more competitive than this year because of their pitching staff as well.
It's hard to figure out Minnesota though, becuase most of their team is up for FA or arbitration. I guess we'll find out how much they're willing to spend and/or how deep their minor leauge system really is...

batmanZoSo
10-08-2004, 12:00 AM
They're drowning in debt.

I would gladly switch places with AZ right now, having that memory from three years ago.

Would you trade winning the world series in game 7 at home come from behind on a bloop single in the ninth for sucking royally the next few years? Oh god I would without hesitation.

And to think Jerry Colangelo is a native...from Chicago Heights no less. Why couldn't HE have bought the Sox? :angry: :whiner: