PDA

View Full Version : When Will Phase V Be Announced?

Rush20
10-05-2004, 12:19 PM
OK, we already know that the new FUNdamentals will be built over the LF Concourse and we know that premium seats/dining area will be added behind home plate, however I'm really hoping there is more to Phase V than those two additions.

Is there still talk of an upper deck or an open-air patio connected to the Stadium Club in RF? How about the "Grand Entrance" in the LF/Dan Ryan corner? Also heard they are considering adding outdoor balconies to all the lower level skybox suites? More brickwork? Green Seats in 2005 or 2006? Heard JR wants to make sure he gets the full 15 year lifespan on the original seats.

I like what they have done so far, however we now need to complete the retrofit....

soxnut
10-05-2004, 10:11 PM
I emailed Dan Polvere from ISFA earlier today with similar questions. so far, he hasn't responded, and he's usually pretty good about getting back to me right away. So, I don't know for sure what is going on.

About a month ago I emailed Brooks about things like this and he said that he thought the "plate was full" for 2005. but, I don't see how that is possible considering that in the original announcement of the naming rights deal, that we would have a "New US Cellular Field" in 2005 as part of the agreement.:(:

mantis1212
10-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Green Seats in 2005 or 2006?
I believe they announced that green seats will be installed next year.

HITMEN OF 77
10-06-2004, 02:40 AM
I'd like to see the homerun porch/upper deck in right field built more than anything.

inta
10-06-2004, 03:52 AM
actually i'm pretty sure that the green seats where for 2006 or even 2007.
this off season is definitely the fundamentals and closing off the tunnel to make premium seating. and that's about it.

the home run deck is a long dead dream at this point.

Rush20
10-06-2004, 10:26 AM
That's too bad. When the first spy photos were released a few years ago, I liked the original design better than what they have proposed now. Until I see it and disprove my initial reaction, I'm not crazy about the FUNdamentals being placed OVER the existing concourse. The outfield concourse is one of the few things I do like about the original design.

The outfield upper deck and grand entrance in LF are also personal favorities. The new premium seats I'm sure will be nice, however, in the spirit of the two-tiered suite design, it appears ownership is not looking to serve the average fan in Phase V. Unless you count the wiffleball field.

:(:

Yorke97
10-06-2004, 11:28 AM
I'd like to see the homerun porch/upper deck in right field built more than anything.

Sorry, but that's a pipedream. Money's already spent. If a HR porch were to be built, it'd come from JR's Pocket, and we all know how thin his $$$ is stretched.

batmanZoSo
10-06-2004, 11:37 AM
actually i'm pretty sure that the green seats where for 2006 or even 2007.
this off season is definitely the fundamentals and closing off the tunnel to make premium seating. and that's about it.

the home run deck is a long dead dream at this point.

Wake me up in 07 then....

Rush20
10-06-2004, 11:39 AM
Sorry, but that's a pipedream. Money's already spent. If a HR porch were to be built, it'd come from JR's Pocket, and we all know how thin his $$$ is stretched.
...That's what ^!&!&!@ off about the current ownership. Use the US Cellular funds to retrofit the park and spend the extra $5-$10M out of pocket to really make it special. I'm not asking for the SOX to trade in a starting pitcher for an upper deck right field, however for the price of a back-up middle infielder and an over-the-hill 4th outfielder, they could really make that ballpark special.

soxpower
10-06-2004, 12:27 PM
I figure there is only $ 13 million of naming rights money left. That's probably will cover the 2 improvements only. Maybe green seats too.:smile:

soxnut
10-06-2004, 12:38 PM
I figure there is only $ 13 million of naming rights money left. That's probably will cover the 2 improvements only. Maybe green seats too.:smile:
I really hope that's not the case. That would be disappointing. I haven't heard anything from Dan Polvere as ISFA yet regarding the email I sent him.

Anyone else want to try to contact him? dan@isfauthority.com

FightingBillini
10-06-2004, 01:29 PM
The sale of current seats will cover the green seats. I know I would buy one or two, at $50 each, which is what they probably would charge. If they sold all 41,000, they would make $2.05 mil. That would MORE than cover new seats.

Randar68
10-06-2004, 01:33 PM
That's too bad. When the first spy photos were released a few years ago, I liked the original design better than what they have proposed now. Until I see it and disprove my initial reaction, I'm not crazy about the FUNdamentals being placed OVER the existing concourse. The outfield concourse is one of the few things I do like about the original design.

The outfield upper deck and grand entrance in LF are also personal favorities. The new premium seats I'm sure will be nice, however, in the spirit of the two-tiered suite design, it appears ownership is not looking to serve the average fan in Phase V. Unless you count the wiffleball field.

:(:
Well, more important to me by far is a grand entrance in the LF corner. The Upper deck would result in a significant portion of the seating area to have obstructed view of the scoreboard as well as placing half the OF seating in the shade.

Let's not forget the new restaurant bar on the 1st base side as well. I'm almost certain that is slated for this season's renovations.

Brian26
10-06-2004, 01:34 PM
The sale of current seats will cover the green seats. I know I would buy one or two, at $50 each, which is what they probably would charge. If they sold all 41,000, they would make $2.05 mil. That would MORE than cover new seats.

I highly doubt 40,000 or even 20,000 other people in Chicago would want one of those seats. I doubt you could give them away. There's no history to them. They look like they could have come out of any new stadium. They're ugly...and how would you even display them?

Randar68
10-06-2004, 01:37 PM
I highly doubt 40,000 or even 20,000 other people in Chicago would want one of those seats. I doubt you could give them away. There's no history to them. They look like they could have come out of any new stadium. They're ugly...and how would you even display them?
1) Season ticket buyers would probably like to have their actual seats.
2) Heck, I'd take a row of 4 of them for 25 bucks each for my basement bar.

JoseCanseco6969
10-06-2004, 01:43 PM
1) Season ticket buyers would probably like to have their actual seats.
2) Heck, I'd take a row of 4 of them for 25 bucks each for my basement bar.i agree, i'd buy about 2 to 4 seats to go along with my orange soldier field seats. I think some of you underestimate some chicago sports fans, we'll buy anything from the park.

soxnut
10-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Let's not forget the new restaurant bar on the 1st base side as well. I'm almost certain that is slated for this season's renovations.
That restaurant/bar is going to be private---for Scout seat customers. As nice as it will be for those people, it's terrbile that the general public gets nothing in that regard.:angry:

SaltyPretzel
10-06-2004, 04:02 PM

The reminants of the 8000 seats they took out this winter sold out quickly.

lths06
10-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Last year when they sold the seats from the upper deck improvements, I believe all of the $ went to charity (aka Jerry's retirement fund:tongue: )

SaltyPretzel
10-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Last year when they sold the seats from the upper deck improvements, I believe all of the $ went to charity (aka Jerry's retirement fund:tongue: )
When they sold the Chicago Stadium seats, the money went into $ Bill's pockets.

dickallen15
10-06-2004, 06:20 PM
Maybe they could get Miller to cough up the money, and call it the Miller Home Run Porch, or Miller Party Deck, like they have at Soldier Field.

soxnut
10-07-2004, 11:42 AM
In regards to the color of the seats, wouldn't whatever color the Scout seats are, be an indicator of what color the rest of the seats are going to be?

CubKilla
10-07-2004, 11:53 AM
That restaurant/bar is going to be private---for Scout seat customers. As nice as it will be for those people, it's terrbile that the general public gets nothing in that regard.:angry:
Everything I've heard about Phase 5 is for the rich corporate types (scout seats) and kids (FUNdamentals). Looks like people my age would be stuck with the BP Sports Bar...... where you have to pay money to actually see the game by the picnic tables..... or the Fan Deck..... where I'd have to get 150 of my closest friends to pony up $25-$40 to see the game from there.

soxnut
10-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Everything I've heard about Phase 5 is for the rich corporate types (scout seats) and kids (FUNdamentals). Looks like people my age would be stuck with the BP Sports Bar...... where you have to pay money to actually see the game by the picnic tables..... or the Fan Deck..... where I'd have to get 150 of my closest friends to pony up $25-$40 to see the game from there.

Well for me there's nothing wrong with rich corporate types. But I am disappointed that they have not put any focus on an area that is not kid related or group related. But remember though in regards to the Fandeck, there are days when it is open to all fans.

anewman35
10-07-2004, 12:48 PM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

There are already plenty of things for you. The idea isn't "Let's do something every year for every single fan". The idea is "Let's make the park better overall". The baseball should be enough for you, anything else is just a bonus. If the baseball isn't enough, I know of another ballpark in the city full of people who are there for the expierence and not the game.

ewokpelts
10-07-2004, 05:16 PM
...That's what ^!&!&!@ off about the current ownership. Use the US Cellular funds to retrofit the park and spend the extra $5-$10M out of pocket to really make it special. I'm not asking for the SOX to trade in a starting pitcher for an upper deck right field, however for the price of a back-up middle infielder and an over-the-hill 4th outfielder, they could really make that ballpark special.with all teh money they get from us when they raise prices, they could re-build the god-dammed park.
Gene

ewokpelts
10-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Well, more important to me by far is a grand entrance in the LF corner. The Upper deck would result in a significant portion of the seating area to have obstructed view of the scoreboard as well as placing half the OF seating in the shade.

Let's not forget the new restaurant bar on the 1st base side as well. I'm almost certain that is slated for this season's renovations.teh 1st base bar is the scout seats. and what obstructed view are you talking about?

Randar68
10-07-2004, 06:04 PM
teh 1st base bar is the scout seats. and what obstructed view are you talking about?
The proposed HR Porch that basically won't happen. I was just commenting that it would result in many seats having obstructed views of the scoreboard, the OF seats being shaded, and some obstructed views due to supports for said HR Porch...

batmanZoSo
10-07-2004, 06:20 PM
In regards to the color of the seats, wouldn't whatever color the Scout seats are, be an indicator of what color the rest of the seats are going to be?

I hope they don't go cheap and put in green ones to match the future green seats in the rest of the park. For one, it's such a small area that the seats could be replaced easily along with the rest of them when they finally go green. I don't think it would look nice if you had one section of green seats amidst 39000 bright blue ones. The two colors don't mix at all.

I would say if the scout seats are green, then yes they are an indicator.

But if they're blue, it's probably inconclusive. Being that it's a small area, you can't rule out an eventual green scheme just because the new ones they put in that one section are still blue (hopefully they ARE in my opinion).

C-Dawg
10-07-2004, 07:13 PM
I hope they don't go cheap and put in green ones to match the future green seats in the rest of the park.

It probably doesn't mean anything, but the metal seats on the Fandeck are dark green. I bet the new scout seats are green too.

Rush20
10-08-2004, 10:08 AM
I was really hoping for the right field home run porch. I would love to see them extend the Stadium Club into an outdoor home run patio-type area. Other members suggested a corporate sponsor like "Jack Daniels Home Run Party Deck" or something like that!

I really hate the concourse billboards at the Cell and although I understand the need for advertising, etc. there are more subtle and probably more profitable ways to accomplish this.

I hope the new marketing firm hired by the SOX understands the dynamics of selling the park on television. I got so tired of the concourse level shot that deliberately cut off the upper deck giving the TV viewer the impression the park was more filled than it actually was.

If the SOX want to fill the upper deck, build a winner and sell the seats from 1B/3B to the respective foul poles for $5.00. Perhaps a daily giveaway to those seat holders where 1-2 people win a ticket upgrade to the Scout Seats for that game.

mdep524
10-08-2004, 11:49 AM
I was really hoping for the right field home run porch. I would love to see them extend the Stadium Club into an outdoor home run patio-type area. Other members suggested a corporate sponsor like "Jack Daniels Home Run Party Deck" or something like that!

I really hate the concourse billboards at the Cell and although I understand the need for advertising, etc. there are more subtle and probably more profitable ways to accomplish this.

I hope the new marketing firm hired by the SOX understands the dynamics of selling the park on television. I got so tired of the concourse level shot that deliberately cut off the upper deck giving the TV viewer the impression the park was more filled than it actually was.

If the SOX want to fill the upper deck, build a winner and sell the seats from 1B/3B to the respective foul poles for $5.00. Perhaps a daily giveaway to those seat holders where 1-2 people win a ticket upgrade to the Scout Seats for that game.Rush20, you have two ideas here that I have thought of for months: first, if there isn't enough money (:rolleyes:) to build some kind of small upper deck/homerun porch in rightfield, why not get it sponsored? That would cover most (if not all) of the costs, ad I'm sure that money would all be made right back anyway because the increased capacity would lead to larger crowds on sold out dates (vs. the Cubs, Yanks, etc.) meaning more revenue.

Second, I've long thought some kind of "random lottery" for upperdeck seat holders to move down behind homeplate would be perfect. First, it is a great act of goodwill, profits-come-second that fans will appreciate. Second, it gets a variety of fans behind homeplate, not just the rich corporate types that can afford the king's ransom for those seats. And third, it would probably slightly increase sales of those upper deck seats, as fans know there is a small chance they could move downstairs.

FightingBillini
10-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Rush20, you have two ideas here that I have thought of for months: first, if there isn't enough money (:rolleyes:) to build some kind of small upper deck/homerun porch in rightfield, why not get it sponsored? That would cover most (if not all) of the costs, ad I'm sure that money would all be made right back anyway because the increased capacity would lead to larger crowds on sold out dates (vs. the Cubs, Yanks, etc.) meaning more revenue.

Second, I've long thought some kind of "random lottery" for upperdeck seat holders to move down behind homeplate would be perfect. First, it is a great act of goodwill, profits-come-second that fans will appreciate. Second, it gets a variety of fans behind homeplate, not just the rich corporate types that can afford the king's ransom for those seats. And third, it would probably slightly increase sales of those upper deck seats, as fans know there is a small chance they could move downstairs.
I agree. Here is the thing that worries me about the scout seats. I hope they did the math right. While there are a lot of rich people that will buy the seats, those types generally dont show up to every game. The ONLY thing that looks worse than the empty black space behind homeplate is empty seats. At least if they put normal seats instead of scout seats, normal fans could move to that section to make it look better on TV. While it would probably anger people paying $175-200 per seat, it would be GREAT if they had a daily raffle to sit there. They could call it "King for a Day" or something of the sort.

Rush20
10-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Rush20, you have two ideas here that I have thought of for months: first, if there isn't enough money (:rolleyes:) to build some kind of small upper deck/homerun porch in rightfield, why not get it sponsored? That would cover most (if not all) of the costs, ad I'm sure that money would all be made right back anyway because the increased capacity would lead to larger crowds on sold out dates (vs. the Cubs, Yanks, etc.) meaning more revenue.

Let's take it one step further...the upgrade ticket winners get the "best" seats immediately behind home plate (on camera) that the new Marketing team can then "sell" on every telecast. Heck, give them some SOX jerseys, hats, jackets, etc.! With the price of the tickets plus the merchandise, what are we talking; maybe $500 per game! That's how much the Cubs pay Sammy Sosa for each practice swing he takes in the on deck circle!

Sorry, back to the SOX and thought at hand....Regarding the outfield deck, I have always liked that idea because the focus could then be on filling the seats between the foul poles first and then in the event (a BIG "IF" here) the SOX need to sell extra standing room only seats for the playoffs, Cubs Series and do I dare say World Series, we have a built in area of the park.

soxnut
10-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Oh those horrible rich corporate types, they should all just go away.

Anyway, I'm sure some of the Scouts seats are going to be purchased by companies, which is great if you work for these companies. I have a friend whose past two companies have had seats behind home plate. They're great seats, and I appreciate the company letting us use them when they don't have clients in town. And, as long as the Sox win, there will be a demand for those seats and we won't have to worry about them being unoccupied.

FightingBillini
10-08-2004, 04:27 PM
And, as long as the Sox win, there will be a demand for those seats and we won't have to worry about them being unoccupied.
Yes, IF the Sox win. but if they arent winning, there will be several empty seats in the camera's view EVERY game. Since the first row is $25 more than all other rows, you know they will strictly enforce assigned seating. This means, if the game is sold out, but the people who have the 5-6 seats directly behind home arent at the game, the first row will be empty on camera. That problem will happen regardless. When people get tickets for free, like from their corporation, they are less likely to go. If they buy the tickets themselves, they will be much more likely to go. People take for granted free things, and things they get often. If you have the chance to go to every game for free, you might miss the chance to watch the Sox play, say... the Devil Rays, in order to watch the NBA playoffs.