PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite promotional give-away?

BackInBlack
10-05-2004, 11:02 AM
When you look back at all the baseball games you've ever attended, what is the one promotional give-away you'll never forget?

Maybe a bobble-head or a hat or whatever. I know the White Sox traditionally hand out high-quality promotional items. I'm sure there were some good ones back in the Veeck era.

Anyway, thanks for the response. I was just curious to see some of the responses.

HomeFish
10-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Free Bat day. I have like three of those under my bed right now.

The guys giving them out at the front were easily fooled as well. My balding, goateed cousin who went to one of those games with me passed for 14 and got one.

JoseCanseco6969
10-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Green Hat day or any free hat day

ewokpelts
10-05-2004, 11:30 AM
When you look back at all the baseball games you've ever attended, what is the one promotional give-away you'll never forget?

Maybe a bobble-head or a hat or whatever. I know the White Sox traditionally hand out high-quality promotional items. I'm sure there were some good ones back in the Veeck era.

Anyway, thanks for the response. I was just curious to see some of the responses.in 1986....we got little radios. I was 6 at the time...it was the coolest thing.
Gene

BackInBlack
10-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Secondly, if White Sox management came to you and said, "If you could pick one reasonable promotional give-away, what would you choose?" well, what would you choose?

ewokpelts
10-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Secondly, if White Sox management came to you and said, "If you could pick one reasonable promotional give-away, what would you choose?" well, what would you choose?World Champion Hats
Gene

Clembasbal
10-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Personally, anything free that I can use of that is collectable. I liked Free Towel, Hat, Bat, Glove, Batting Glove, etc.

Free Schedule or Calender does not cut it. Fireworks is cool but it is held too often to be cool anymore. 1/2 off tickets does not please me, nor does 50% a hamburger at ESPN Zone.

Raffle tickets for an autograph jersey, ball, bat would be cool...just like the dreaded Cubs do. Bobbleheads are sweet.

Caribean (spelling) night was the stupidiest thing I ever went to. Rat Pack night was not that fun, Elvis night is cool.

Sox need a ton more marketing giveaways. WE just don't get enough local business support to give free stuff away. But if somehow we pursuaded companies to give us stuff then I think we might get more fans for free giveaway days (and I am only thinking about 2,000 - 4,000 more, which would have put us over 2million though).

Clembasbal
10-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Secondly, if White Sox management came to you and said, "If you could pick one reasonable promotional give-away, what would you choose?" well, what would you choose?
Free Jersey shirts to the first 35,000 fans...at least once a month have it.

FARMEO
10-05-2004, 11:50 AM
It is hard to pick just one give away. I have a nice bobble head and hat collection. I also like the calendars because if anyone is visiting my desk at work, they are reminded that I am a Sox fan. I also take extra calendars so my girlfriend can hand then out to her fourth grade students.

jabrch
10-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Green Hat day or any free hat day

I agree - I am a fan of the entire Half-Way to Saint Patrick's Day promotion, and the green hats.

C-Dawg
10-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Free Bat day. I have like three of those under my bed right now.

I still have mine from '76 or '77. One of my favorites since I can't imagine them giving away bats nowadays.

jackbrohamer
10-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Getting an Esteban Loaiza bobblehead after he was traded to the Yankees was a good one for laughs. But Bat Day was alwaye the premier giveaway, too bad they don't do it anymore. I also like the refrigerator magnet schedules at the start of the season.

I hate those ESPNZone coupons, seems like they give them out every game, it's a waste of paper as far as I'm concerned.

TDog
10-05-2004, 10:22 PM
When ... I'm sure there were some good ones back in the Veeck era. ...
One year in the second half of the 1970s there was Farm Night. Before the regular game, there was a game between minor leaguers -- from the Sox farm teams. I couldn't believe Mike Squires would ever make it to the big leagues. I deemed him too short for a first baseman. Management gave away trees to the fans. Fortunately, they were little trees and didn't obstruct people's view of the game. Much like Mike Squires. I'm not saying it was my favorite promotion, but I remember it more clearly than Crazy Comb Night.

Parrothead
10-05-2004, 10:28 PM
I have plenty of hats, bobbleheads, pins......I like the mugs they used to give away. But my favorite promotion was the Banner day Sunday Doubleheader. The people with banner were able to take a lap around the field with thier banner. Wish they would do that again. There were hundreds of banners at each day.

Favorite banners seen......."Washington slept here" for the former right fielder, Claudell Washington and "Hey Willie, Coke is it" for Willie Wilson after coming back from something cocaine related.

ewokpelts
10-06-2004, 12:34 AM
I still have mine from '76 or '77. One of my favorites since I can't imagine them giving away bats nowadays.they did it this year.
Gene

jordan23ventura
10-06-2004, 12:48 AM
Sammy Sosa toilet paper.

If that couldn't be had, I'd opt for the Danny Wright "Operation" board game or the Mike Jackson slingshot.

Perhaps even better: A Jerry Reinsdorf pinata. When you break it open, you find that it's only filled with lies.

inta
10-06-2004, 02:58 AM
this is going to sound like a joke, but it's not.

the best giveaway i ever got was in 1984, it was a white sox head band with a little plastic box in it that played a cheesy casio-sounding rendition of "na na na" when you squeezed it.

i loved that thing when i was a kid. every other kid was envious. it didn't last long though.... i wore the heck out of it.

another favorite was a poster i got in 1983 that had every world series poster on it. i used to stare at that thing on my wall every night when i was a kid falling asleep.

for this year. i liked the white sox nesting dolls alot.... that was something different. i'm kind of sick of bobbleheads at this point.

pinwheels3530
10-06-2004, 03:51 AM
2005 World Series pennat give-aways!!!!:D:

hsnterprize
10-06-2004, 07:57 AM
My all-time favorite "free givaway" didn't happen at Comiskey Park or involve the White Sox at all. It happened in 1986, when I was in Oakland visiting my uncle. Since my dad hadn't taken me to a baseball game yet, my uncle stepped up and did so; he took me and my cousin to the Oakland Alameda-County Coliseum to see the A's take on the Toronto Blue Jays. It was free glove day, and it was sponsored by Wells-Fargo Bank. I remember that because I still have that glove, and I've giving it to my oldest son, Joshua, when he's old enough to know how to use it. He takes it around now, but it'll really be special to me when he can play catch with it.

Anyway, my uncle passed away several years ago, and it does remind me of him on occasion. Even though my family was able to attend a Sox game together this season, I'm still looking forward to the day when I can take my boys to a game as father and son. As far as I'm concerned, if you're a dad...it should be a requirement that you take your kids, especially sons, to a baseball game. Nothing against father/daugher or mother/daughter combinations. Girls like sports, too. But there's just something about a father taking his son to a baseball game that forms a tight bond between them. And with all the "bad father" stories out there, positive things like that are more than needed.

Who knows...maybe Josh, Nathan, and I will go to a game when they're giving away free gloves. That way, they'll give the gloves to their kids and remember me.

Chez
10-06-2004, 07:58 AM
Dick Allen photo mug day in 1972. Has there ever been a cooler Sox player than Dick Allen? Someone (ESPN Classic?) should dredge up reruns of The Dick Allen Show. Beach towels were good give aways.

C-Dawg
10-06-2004, 10:37 PM
they did it this year.
Gene

Aren't they miniature bats they give out now? I don't know since I haven't been to a bat day in many years.

HomeFish
10-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Aren't they miniature bats they give out now? I don't know since I haven't been to a bat day in many years.
I got a wifflebat in 2002 or 2003. Full size; longer than a real bat, actually.

BarbG
10-06-2004, 11:30 PM
This year's bats were real bats and surprisingly nice.

My favorites of all time have to be my plastic, adjustable red batting helmet (circa 1974?) and who could forget the seat cushions? They deflated immediately and you needed five of them to raise your butt half an inch, but they're priceless possessions to me!

Vestigio
10-06-2004, 11:39 PM
About 6 years ago, they gave away little bathroom cup dispensers on the last game of the season. It probably wasn't the best promotional giveaway, but it is the most memorable. I wondered why anyone would want this, let alone put it in their bathroom.:?:

bc2k
10-07-2004, 01:17 AM
for this year. i liked the white sox nesting dolls alot.... that was something different. i'm kind of sick of bobbleheads at this point.
What is a nesting doll? I remember Farmer and Rooney wondering about it all season.

As far as favorite promotions, 1/2-price night is unbeatable but fireworks are cool too.

jabrch
10-07-2004, 01:49 AM
What is a nesting doll? I remember Farmer and Rooney wondering about it all season.
A nesting doll is a wood/plastic doll inside a doll, inside a doll, inside a doll...etc. etc.

Here is the Andruw Jones Nesting Doll - but it was only a coke bottle that went inside Andrew Jones who went inside another Andruw Jones. http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/2c/ad/fb_1.JPG

The real ones, made in Russia, go 10 dolls deep, sometimes more.
http://www.russianornaments.com/m1895.jpg

Some are very expensive - and handmade/handpainted. Others (like the Sox ones) are probably crappy and my guess is plastic.

ewokpelts
10-07-2004, 09:43 AM
A nesting doll is a wood/plastic doll inside a doll, inside a doll, inside a doll...etc. etc.

Here is the Andruw Jones Nesting Doll - but it was only a coke bottle that went inside Andrew Jones who went inside another Andruw Jones. http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/2c/ad/fb_1.JPG

The real ones, made in Russia, go 10 dolls deep, sometimes more.
http://www.russianornaments.com/m1895.jpg

Some are very expensive - and handmade/handpainted. Others (like the Sox ones) are probably crappy and my guess is plastic.sox one was wood.

ewokpelts
10-07-2004, 09:44 AM

As far as favorite promotions, 1/2-price night is unbeatable but fireworks are cool too.**** farmer...he sucks in the booth.
Gene

dickallen15
10-07-2004, 11:49 AM
In the late 80's the Sox had umbrella night at old Comiskey. Sure enough, it started pouring about the 3rd inning.

HomeFish
10-07-2004, 12:55 PM
In the late 80's the Sox had umbrella night at old Comiskey. Sure enough, it started pouring about the 3rd inning.

Same thing happened on Poncho night this year.

Ol' No. 2
10-07-2004, 01:20 PM
My all-time favorite "free givaway" didn't happen at Comiskey Park or involve the White Sox at all. It happened in 1986, when I was in Oakland visiting my uncle. Since my dad hadn't taken me to a baseball game yet, my uncle stepped up and did so; he took me and my cousin to the Oakland Alameda-County Coliseum to see the A's take on the Toronto Blue Jays. It was free glove day, and it was sponsored by Wells-Fargo Bank. I remember that because I still have that glove, and I've giving it to my oldest son, Joshua, when he's old enough to know how to use it. He takes it around now, but it'll really be special to me when he can play catch with it.

Anyway, my uncle passed away several years ago, and it does remind me of him on occasion. Even though my family was able to attend a Sox game together this season, I'm still looking forward to the day when I can take my boys to a game as father and son. As far as I'm concerned, if you're a dad...it should be a requirement that you take your kids, especially sons, to a baseball game. Nothing against father/daugher or mother/daughter combinations. Girls like sports, too. But there's just something about a father taking his son to a baseball game that forms a tight bond between them. And with all the "bad father" stories out there, positive things like that are more than needed.

Who knows...maybe Josh, Nathan, and I will go to a game when they're giving away free gloves. That way, they'll give the gloves to their kids and remember me. Great story. Like a lot of kids, I was so young when my dad took me to my first game, I don't remember exactly when it was. But what I remember most was coming up the ramp and seeing the field out in front of me. It seemed like a dream. I had never seen anything so green. In those days you could bring in a cooler with food, and we would go to Sunday double headers with a cooler packed with sandwiches and drinks. Midway through the second game we'd get hungry again and we'd get hotdogs and drinks from the vendors. To this day I'ver never had a hot dog that tastes as good as the ones at the ballpark. Years later I got to take my dad to a game, just a few months, as it turned out, before he passed away. That game was always special.

Now my son and I go, and you're right - my daughters also go sometimes, but there's something special about a father and son at the ballpark.

Over the years, I've gotten all sorts of stuff, most of it lost by now. But the best thing they give away isn't something you can hold in your hand, but you can hold it in your arms. And they could charge $100 per ticket and I wouldn't care.

Damn. How long till Opening Day?

ewokpelts
10-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Great story. Like a lot of kids, I was so young when my dad took me to my first game, I don't remember exactly when it was. But what I remember most was coming up the ramp and seeing the field out in front of me. It seemed like a dream. I had never seen anything so green. In those days you could bring in a cooler with food, and we would go to Sunday double headers with a cooler packed with sandwiches and drinks. Midway through the second game we'd get hungry again and we'd get hotdogs and drinks from the vendors. To this day I'ver never had a hot dog that tastes as good as the ones at the ballpark. Years later I got to take my dad to a game, just a few months, as it turned out, before he passed away. That game was always special.

Now my son and I go, and you're right - my daughters also go sometimes, but there's something special about a father and son at the ballpark.

Over the years, I've gotten all sorts of stuff, most of it lost by now. But the best thing they give away isn't something you can hold in your hand, but you can hold it in your arms. And they could charge $100 per ticket and I wouldn't care.

Damn. How long till Opening Day?and that is?
Gene

dirty_k
10-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Turn ahead the clock night was a very pleasant surprise in that they gave out hats that night and did not promote that the promo included free hats. The promo excluding the hats was only okay.
Bat day was great - I even remember going to a night one and was a little scared of some of the older kids in groups with bats, but still a great promo that i didn't miss.
Around 1980 or so they gave out key-chains to the first 15,000 fans. I got a key-chain on both Tuesday and Wednesday since there may have been only about 10,000 people there each night.
I was disappointed that this year's green hat give-away did not have a shamrock on it. Good promo though. Too bad they are on the road next Sept 17.
June 25th halfway to x-mas vs. the Cubbies though? It will just be getting warm in Chicago though and people don't want to think about that then.

HITMEN OF 77
10-07-2004, 07:51 PM
The best give-away I was at was the first ever bat day at the new Comiskey. I remember it was a Sunday game vs. the Brewers, we lost 2-1. However, my favorite game giveaway to collect are the old thermo serve mugs from the early 70's. Anyone got any they want to part with?

mike squires
10-07-2004, 09:19 PM
in 1986....we got little radios. I was 6 at the time...it was the coolest thing.
Gene
I was 13 and I want to say that was against the Yankees. We were leading late in the game and of course the Yanks came back and won. Story of my life in the 80's going to see Sox games. I think they won one in 83. 84, 85, 86, 87 88 and 89 were all losing games with me in attendence. (I take that back, they won one against Cleveland.) If I remember correctly the radio were shaped like baseballs and they fit in your ear sponsered by WMAQ. Mine was a piece of junk and either broke or could not pick up any stations.

mike squires
10-07-2004, 09:25 PM
I didn't actually attend the ball game in 77 when they gave away the bats but My Dad gave it to me when I was young. The sandlot boys used it one time a piece and then I put it back away. (It was special to be able to use it.) It's got a few dinks but the silver sharpie over the blue bat looks cool. (Bill Melton) I remember in 89 they gave away jerzeys (Gatorade) I think that was the game Walker had a siezure and the Sox lost 15 to 14. Recently I liked the Fisk and Ordonez bobbles. My wife grabbed the lsat Ordonez. A young Kansas City Royal traded a fan a batting practice ball for a FIsk Bobble. Poor kid.l

ewokpelts
10-08-2004, 12:52 AM
I didn't actually attend the ball game in 77 when they gave away the bats but My Dad gave it to me when I was young. The sandlot boys used it one time a piece and then I put it back away. (It was special to be able to use it.) It's got a few dinks but the silver sharpie over the blue bat looks cool. (Bill Melton) I remember in 89 they gave away jerzeys (Gatorade) I think that was the game Walker had a siezure and the Sox lost 15 to 14. Recently I liked the Fisk and Ordonez bobbles. My wife grabbed the lsat Ordonez. A young Kansas City Royal traded a fan a batting practice ball for a FIsk Bobble. Poor kid.lhey...teh kid probably got his dad's bobble, and he got a ball to boot!
Gene

Realist
10-08-2004, 06:19 AM
Previously Worn Jenny McCarthy White Sox Thongs Day. (Move over Disco Demolition)

But seriously, folks. Although we can't take them home with us, I really love fireworks nites. If the Sox lost, it saves the nite. If the Sox won, it's a great big cherry on top.

Mondays and Tuesdays are half-price nites. Thursdays are dollar dog days/nites. It wouldn't be a bad idea if they gave away rain parkas or umbrellas every Wednesday in April and May. I'm sure they could scrape up some sponsors for those days.

No matter how angry people get at the Sox front office, I'm sure that the days the parkas and umbrellas were given out and it happened to rain, the fans that had a parka or umbrella developed an everlasting little warm spot for the franchise.

Imagine youself in a big argument with some guy and suddenly it starts to rain. You both look up to the heavens, he reaches into his bag and pulls out an umbrella for you. No matter how mad you were at the the guy, you're always gonna kinda consider him a friend of yours on some level.

These parkas and umbrellas could go a long way very cheaply in the PR department for the Sox.

BigMo
10-10-2004, 10:07 PM
Im telling you guys, nothing beats Hawk and DJ bobble head night. I am still kicking myself to this day for missing that game two years ago. I may never forgive myself.

Brian26
10-10-2004, 10:29 PM
Im telling you guys, nothing beats Hawk and DJ bobble head night. I am still kicking myself to this day for missing that game two years ago. I may never forgive myself.:hawk

"There may be a bobblehead day AS GOOD, but there won't be any bobblehead days BETTER than Hawk and DJ bobblehead day."

:DJ

"Mmm hmmm."

:hawk

"Well, I'm not disagreeing with you there DJ. All I'm saying is that there won't be any bobblehead days better."

"Yep."

"DJ, how many bobblehead days did you have as a player?"

"As a player?"

"Yeah, as a player."

"Hmmm. I'd say none."

"Well, there you go!"

steff
10-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Hawk & DJ bobble head day was kinda funny... that was the night Mark got rocked early in the game and we sat in the patio. We put bags over the bobbleheads "heads" and they were on tv. :D:

santo=dorf
10-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Hawk & DJ bobble head day was kinda funny... that was the night Mark got rocked early in the game and we sat in the patio. We put bags over the bobbleheads "heads" and they were on tv. :D:That was you? I thought it was a sheet of aluminum foil that was covering their view.:?:

My friend got the same bobblehead (SF game where they scored 11 runs) and I must say, they look better than any other bobbleheads I have seen sold in the stores.

DirtySouthsider
10-11-2004, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=inta]this is going to sound like a joke, but it's not.

the best giveaway i ever got was in 1984, it was a white sox head band with a little plastic box in it that played a cheesy casio-sounding rendition of "na na na" when you squeezed it.

i loved that thing when i was a kid. every other kid was envious. it didn't last long though.... i wore the heck out of it.

That's so funny you brought that up......I still have one of those. About 5 years ago when I was getting ready to move I came across it....I thought it had been long gone......but amazingly it still work, 15 years later. If I remember correctly it was sponsered by some kitty-litter company.
But it's amazing that stupid little things like that can create such fond memories.

Erik The Red
10-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Esteban Loaiza Bobblehead Day

ewokpelts
10-11-2004, 10:06 PM
Im telling you guys, nothing beats Hawk and DJ bobble head night. I am still kicking myself to this day for missing that game two years ago. I may never forgive myself.want mine?
Gene