PDA

View Full Version : Use of MLB logos in advertising?

StillMissOzzie
10-04-2004, 10:16 PM
I'm just wondering what the deal is on the use of MLB logos in advertising. Does the advertiser have to pay MLB for their use? The team in particular? I will cite three different cases, all slightly different from each other, to better explain my question.

1) The famous Sosa eating a too hot taco Pepsi commercial. This one uses both the Sox and the Cubs logos. It has to, or the point is lost.
2) One of the Chevy commercials with Maggs shows a clip of Maggs taking somebody deep. Clearly, as he identifies himself as a Sox player, the Sox logo is used, but the pitcher's uniform is blurred out. Looks like a Detroit uniform, but the blurring is pretty effective.
3) There's a Lincoln-Mercury commercial featuring Kerry Wood. Here, Wood and the batter he's pitching to are shown in a lame generic baseball uniforms, and, IIRC, is identified in the print ads only as "big league pitcher". There is NO use of a Cubs logo, nor one for the batter.

So there's my quandry - two MLB logos, one MLB logo with one obsured, and no MLB logos, all intentionally. What's the deal here on the use of MLB logos?

SMO
:dunno:

Daver
10-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Pepsi is a sponsor of MLB, and allowed to use any logo in their ads.

Chevy is an associate sponsor of MLB, and can only use logo's regionally.

Ford has no association with MLB, and has no use of any team logo.

ewokpelts
10-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Pepsi is a sponsor of MLB, and allowed to use any logo in their ads.

Chevy is an associate sponsor of MLB, and can only use logo's regionally.

Ford has no association with MLB, and has no use of any team logo.what he said.......also, chevy is a sponsor of the sox themselves, so the sox wont mind that they are using teh logos.
Gene