PDA

View Full Version : Hawk and .... Stoney???

benjamin
10-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Being that Stoney was the unquestioned cause of the Cub Collapse (TM), might he find his way to the South Side next season???

What would y'all think about that?

PavanoBeltran'05
10-04-2004, 06:31 PM
That would absolutely make my skin crawl. I've always loved the dejection on his voice when the Cubs would lose. Couldn't take it if he were with the Sox.
Melton or Kittle would be decent. Or...
Bring Back Paciorek!!!!!!!!!

he_gone_89
10-04-2004, 06:35 PM
if we were to take stone,the cubs would probably sign the woo-woo guy to do radio

SEALgep
10-04-2004, 06:35 PM
I think it would awesome! I am one who respects Hawk, and find him very knowledgable about the game. I have that same respect for Stone. The two together would lead to some good baseball talk IMO.

fuzzy_patters
10-04-2004, 06:37 PM
That would absolutely make my skin crawl. I've always loved the dejection on his voice when the Cubs would lose. Couldn't take it if he were with the Sox.
Melton or Kittle would be decent. Or...
Bring Back Paciorek!!!!!!!!!
I agree. The Sox should bring back Wimpy.

I do not see the infatuation with Steve Stone. People say he is so much more knowledgeable about baseball than other announcers, but all he really does is state the obvious. He is kind of like John Madden in that respect.

Justafan
10-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Wow!! Check this out.

http://www.all-baseball.com/willcarroll/

Kogs35
10-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Wow!! Check this out.

interesting and welcome to wsi:gulp: :cheers:

JohnBasedowYoda
10-04-2004, 06:51 PM
forget dj and move on to stone. i want someone in the booth that will make fun of our suckatude

Soxfest
10-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Stone would be awesome I am tired of DJ'S act

jabrch
10-04-2004, 07:08 PM
I love Stone. He is fantastic.

munchman33
10-04-2004, 07:32 PM
1. Anything is better than D.J.

2. Stone's the only Cub's guy whose opinion I respect.

3. The Cub's fans are on Stoney's side, so losing him to us would hurt SO much more.
All and all, I'm for this.

LongLiveFisk
10-04-2004, 08:10 PM
I think it would awesome! I am one who respects Hawk, and find him very knowledgable about the game. I have that same respect for Stone. The two together would lead to some good baseball talk IMO.

Totally agree. I think most of the anti-Stone sentiments are due to him being a Cubbie announcer. Maybe if he got away from them, he'd be just fine! :cool:

MRKARNO
10-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Stone is one of the best color commentators in the business. He tells it like it is and there is not a guy in baseball that can anticipate what is about to happen or why something is happening like he can. There are so many intracaices of the game you can learn from him compared to DJ.

And hell, even the most anti-Stone Sox fan would at least be happy that Cubs fans are pissed because we got him.

bc2k
10-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Stone is one of the best color commentators in the business. He tells it like it is and there is not a guy in baseball that can anticipate what is about to happen or why something is happening like he can. There are so many intracaices of the game you can learn from him compared to DJ.
Sox fans, if this is what you look for in an announcer, look no further than:

:farmer

I think Ed Farmer is a guy that everybody will appreciate once he's gone. Listen to this guy for a couple of weeks straight and you'll never be able to go back to the Hawkeroo.

robertks61
10-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Stoney was in the booth a few years back with Hawk & Paciorek. It was an exhibition game in Las Vegas. The mix between them was pretty good. They were ribbing Stoney cause the Sox were kicking but. It would be interesting. Stoney is about the only thing I ever liked aboout the Cub, other than them choking!

Soxzilla
10-04-2004, 08:59 PM
I don't mind DJ.

How about we focus on getting another quality starting pitcher instead?:bandance:

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-04-2004, 09:07 PM
I don't mind DJ.

How about we focus on getting another quality starting pitcher instead?:bandance:
i dont mind him either. i dont see why everyone wants stoney! i dont think he's that good. and i do agree with you on the startin pitcher.

i need a nana! :bandance:

hose
10-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Remember that Stone made a visit to US Cellular when both clubs were in town , I want to say it was in August. Hawk was making small talk about Stoney's visit during the telecast. I always thought it was a bit strange for Stone to show up at the Cell and my first thought were that Steve was possibly testing the waters. Don't forget that Stone is best friends with Chimp and he had to know Cary was planning on leaving for Atlanta from day one.

Stone would be a great addition to the booth, he would force Hawk to bring his "A" game every night.

Milw
10-04-2004, 11:09 PM
I say we bring in Stone and do with him what the Cubs did with Harry. In 20 years, I want Stone to be nationally revered as a Sox legend, with people remarking, "Wait, Steve Stone used to announce for the Cubs?"

Give those punks a taste of their own medicine.

ewokpelts
10-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Remember that Stone made a visit to US Cellular when both clubs were in town , I want to say it was in August. Hawk was making small talk about Stoney's visit during the telecast. I always thought it was a bit strange for Stone to show up at the Cell and my first thought were that Steve was possibly testing the waters. Don't forget that Stone is best friends with Chimp and he had to know Cary was planning on leaving for Atlanta from day one.

Stone would be a great addition to the booth, he would force Hawk to bring his "A" game every night.i think it was during a postponed hurricane game.
Gene

JoseCanseco6969
10-04-2004, 11:35 PM
Wow!! Check this out.

http://www.all-baseball.com/willcarroll/Awesome! Hope there is some truth to this rumor. This would be great and end the talk of so much dead air and boring telecasts since Stone would force Hawk to talk during those lag/bad times. Hell, I wouldnt mind him ripping into some Sox players that need ripping. i.e. Crede, Valentin garbage. Please please let this happen.

soxnut
10-04-2004, 11:48 PM
I would love for the rumor to be true. Steve Stone is a fine analyst and it would be an interesting show with Hawk and Stoney. DJ is good on FOX Saturday broadcasts, but he and Hawk are an awkward pairing.:?:

As for the Cubs getting John Miller, I wouldn't be surprised, even though someone on this board has said that won't happen. Hey, anything can happen. The Cubs did try for him mid 90's after his gig with the Orioles was up. So, ya never know.:smile:

Kogs35
10-05-2004, 12:16 AM
I would love for the rumor to be true. Steve Stone is a fine analyst and it would be an interesting show with Hawk and Stoney. DJ is good on FOX Saturday broadcasts, but he and Hawk are an awkward pairing.:?:

As for the Cubs getting John Miller, I wouldn't be surprised, even though someone on this board has said that won't happen. Hey, anything can happen. The Cubs did try for him mid 90's after his gig with the Orioles was up. So, ya never know.:smile:
miller is the pbp for the giants as well his fam lives out there. he loves the espn gig and i cant see him coming to the flubbers. plus he is no homer that the cubs r looking for

HITMEN OF 77
10-05-2004, 12:40 AM
I like having DJ in there, he goofyness adds a lot to the broadcast.

SOXSINCE'70
10-05-2004, 07:23 AM
This is the point I have awkwardly tried to make for the past couple of months.When asked to do a FOX game of the week,DJ shows a lot of promise.You hit the nail on the head when you said Hawk and DJ sound awkward together.It's been that way since 2000.Hawk needs someone who will force him to stop "kvetching" (complaining) about Billy Beane and Torrii Hunter's hard slide into home that nearly knocked Jamie Burke into another zip code.Stone might have called that move "aggressive",and pointed out that if a Sox player did it,there would be no problem.
I still can't see an honest "call 'em as I see 'em" guy like Stone
working for the Sox.Reinsdork's attitude is "Be a 'homer' or go home".:(:

idseer
10-05-2004, 07:26 AM
UNSUBSTANTIATED INTERNET RUMOR : Steve Stone to White Sox?
well .... he's a little old, but i'll bet he can handle that 4th starter spot.

wdelaney72
10-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Sox fans, if this is what you look for in an announcer, look no further than:

I think Ed Farmer is a guy that everybody will appreciate once he's gone. Listen to this guy for a couple of weeks straight and you'll never be able to go back to the Hawkeroo.
Ed Farmer's content is good. He obviously knows baseball, but he's not comfortable to listen to. I find his voice to be whiny, and condescending.

Forget the fact that he has been with the Cubs for years, Steve Stone is the best color analyst I've ever heard. DJ does not do a bad job, but he offers nothing. Stone would be a huge upgrade. Despite both of their giant egos, I think a booth of Hawk and Stone would be legendary.

gosox41
10-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Wow!! Check this out.

No more guest conductors. That's great news.:)

Bob

gosox41
10-05-2004, 08:17 AM

Stone would be a great addition to the booth, he would force Hawk to bring his "A" game every night.
How about Steve Stone for GM?

Bob

robertks61
10-05-2004, 08:20 AM
No more guest conductors. That's great news.:)

BobIt was getting old!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-05-2004, 08:39 AM

:reinsy
"Too expensive, Bob. What planet have you been living on?"

:KW
"And since when does anyone think Stone would toe Reinsdorf's party line? I mean... how do you think *I* got the job?"

:ozzie
"Speaking of getting a job with the Sox, isn't it convenient that I'm all for cutting down on home runs -- just as the team's #1 power hitter achieves unrestricted free agency?"

:ohno
"Oh, and don't forget Bob. This is all YOUR FAULT. Especially since you believe it when these three dopes tell you to believe it."

Have a nice day.

Foulke You
10-05-2004, 10:53 AM
I respect Stone's baseball opinions however, I don't know if I could stand listening to that nasally voice for an entire season. Plus, just how much chemistry would Hawk and Stone have in the booth? It would be an interesting mix to say the least. There also remains the possibility that Comcast Sports Chicago is putting pressure on the Sox to make a change in the booth since that new station is eager to make a name for themselves and they are carrying 100 Sox games next year.

That being said, I still say there is little possibility this happens. Stone speaks his mind and has shown this year with the Flubs that he isn't afraid to openly rip the product on the field. This does not fall in line with the standard Reinsdorfian philosophy of always shilling the product. I love Hawk, but let's face it, he doesn't rip on the club very often even when they deserve it.

TDog
10-05-2004, 11:20 AM
I respect Stone's baseball opinions however, I don't know if I could stand listening to that nasally voice for an entire season. ...
This reminds me of a friend asking me in the '70s who would be catching for the Sox in an upcoming season and shuddering at the thought of Bill Naharodny getting the starting nod. I thought Bill Naharodny would do a good job, I told him, but he insisted that wasn't the issue. He told me he didn't know if he could take a season with Harry Caray describing pitchers looking into Naharodny and Naharodny putting down the sign.

santo=dorf
10-05-2004, 11:46 AM

Bob

"So I hear you're interested in the GM position. Any previous experience?"

http://www.onr.com/user/susan/henry/quotes/stone.jpg

"Well......no."

"YOU'RE HIRED!"

inta
10-06-2004, 02:43 AM
i would love to see hawk/stoney in the sox booth.
there's no way stone would tolerate hawks lame cheerleading, it would be great to hear him shut hawk up.

i like DJ... but the guy still hasn't really grown on me the way wimpy did. he's not bad, but he's not memorable.

i agree with whoever said farmer and rooney are best. i almost always play the radio announce team while watching the tv on mute.

ps. i would love to hear stone tear into hawk about the fisk debacle....

balke
10-06-2004, 03:09 AM
i would love to see hawk/stoney in the sox booth.
there's no way stone would tolerate hawks lame cheerleading, it would be great to hear him shut hawk up.

He just got done broadcasting with the chimp... How on earth would Hawk's cheerleading be lame? Stone sucks compared to Hawk, but is light years ahead of DJ in the realist/fact aspect of broadcasting. I don't think Stone and Hawk would be a good mix, but It would be interesting if they gave it a shot. DJ is pretty.... well... lame. And I try to defend everyone.

bigfoot
10-06-2004, 05:43 AM
......as the world waits breathlessly for the first call of..."Settle back and strap it on Stoney"

~I hope Stoney remembers to "bow his neck".

mdep524
10-06-2004, 01:11 PM
As usual you are right on the money, Bob. I would really enjoy Steve Stone as a Sox announcer, but I think he's almost too good for that, and I would really be interested to see what he could do in the Sox organization. He might make a great GM, or at least he could replace Harold Baines as the bench coach and bring his knowledge and strategy to the dugout, making himself the de facto manager in game situations while Ozzie can be the face and attitude of the team.

That's what I would do anyway, I'm sure it won't happen though.