PDA

View Full Version : Sox Final 2004 Report Card

maurice
10-04-2004, 06:23 PM
As in the two-month and mid-season grade (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36876&highlight=fairly+optimistic) threads, the following grades are relative to my pre-season expectations (A - greatly exceeded, B - exceeded, C- met, D - missed, F - way below, I - injured / incomplete):

Rowand - A - exceeded everybody's expectations, but can he keep it up?
Konerko - A - posted career power numbers, especially at the Cell; will KW sell high?
Uribe - A - very good defensively and hit much better than everybody expected
Gload - A - great in limited action, but please keep him out of the OF
Burke - A - great in limited action but don't expect a repeat performance
Takatsu - A - very impressive but, at his age, how long can he keep it up?

Harris - B - he's taken a lot of criticism, but my expectations weren't very high
Buehrle - B - nice year stops talk of declining performance; a Cy Young candidate on the road
Adkins - B - he doesn't give you much, but we expected even less after the Durham trade

Lee - C - a model of consistency
Perez - C - a fine backup OF who was exposed by getting way too many ABs
Olivo - C - met my expectations before being dealt, but not so good since then (.200 AVE)
Alomar - C - exactly what I expected
Marte - C - a slight down year for a very good, underpaid reliever
Politte - C - arguably worth a $1 million risk
Cotts - C - doesn't merit another shot at the rotation until he throws more strikes
Diaz - C - 24-year-old was inconsistent but flashed some serious potential
Rauch - C - inability to stay healthy no longer our problem

Valentin - D - 30 HR, but .216 AVE and 139 Ks in only 125 games
Borchard - D - Nice walk and power numbers, but he needs to at least hit his weight
Garland - D - Mr. Wait-'Til-Next-Year, like his former cubbie brethren
Schoeneweis - D - great early but not much since then
Grilli - D - is it too much to ask him to ever pitch 6+ with 3 or fewer ER?
Jackson - D - showed why he couldn't get a job in 2003

Crede - F - a wasted season; looks like he'll get another year (or half year) to fix it
Loaiza - F - good riddance
Koch - F - ditto

Thomas - I
Ordonez - I
Wright - I
Munoz - I
Bajenaru - I
Stewart - I
Wunsch - I

All-in-all, great individual seasons by Rowand, Konerko, Uribe, and Takatsu. Buehrle and Lee keep up the good work. Unfortunately, the season was done after season-ending injuries to Thomas and Ordonez. Craptacular performances by Crede, Loaiza, and Koch didn't help matters. For 2005, we badly need Thomas to come back strong, along with serious improvement from Crede or Harris, and the addition of (at least) another IF, SP, and RP.

PavanoBeltran'05
10-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Good post! The funny thing about this season is that we had so much expectation for the gang about a month into it, when most people thought a second place finish would be pretty decent based on the regime change.
We picked Koch off like a dug-in tick that wouldn't let loose. Now, if we could do that with a couple of other guys like Jose Valentin, we will be ready to fly.
The Sox have enough positives at positions that they may be able to do something next year. Just about every one of our players are due for a career year. Most of the guys that experienced career years in '00 are gone now, so maybe we'll get them out of this bunch in '05. You never know.

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Good post! The funny thing about this season is that we had so much expectation for the gang about a month into it, when most people thought a second place finish would be pretty decent based on the regime change.
We picked Koch off like a dug-in tick that wouldn't let loose. Now, if we could do that with a couple of other guys like Jose Valentin, we will be ready to fly.
The Sox have enough positives at positions that they may be able to do something next year. Just about every one of our players are due for a career year. Most of the guys that experienced career years in '00 are gone now, so maybe we'll get them out of this bunch in '05. You never know.
haha Nice sig man :thumbsup:

OzzieBall2004
10-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Good post...but wheres Garcia? Everett?

And a C for Lee? I gotta disagree with that one

PavanoBeltran'05
10-04-2004, 06:39 PM
haha Nice sig man :thumbsup:Jerry's not going to do it...gotta go over his head.

fuzzy_patters
10-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Perez - C - a fine backup OF who was exposed by getting way too many ABs

I disagree on that. Timo was one of the few players on the team that did the little things well and hit with runners in scoring position. That is what veteran players are supposed to bring to a club. The problem is that there were too many holes in the lineup around him. Timo would make a great 7 hitter on a team with a real lineup.

maurice
10-04-2004, 06:45 PM
Timo would make a great 7 hitter on a team with a real lineup.Timo was a very good situational hitter, but he has little power, little speed, and posted a .246 AVE, .285 OBP, .338 SLG. That's terrible for an everyday player.

Good post...but wheres Garcia? Everett? And a C for Lee? I gotta disagree with that oneWell, to quote my own post:
the following grades are relative to my pre-season expectations . . . C- met . . . .Mid-season acquisitions like Garcia and Everett weren't graded, because I didn't have any "pre-season expectations" for them. Lee got a "C," because he "met" my pre-season expectations . . . being "a model of consistency" and all.

:)

Mohoney
10-04-2004, 06:51 PM
Well, to quote my own post:

Lee got a "C," because he "met" my pre-season expectations . . . being "a model of consistency" and all.
The only qualifying outfielder with a PERFECT 1.000 fielding percentage and a 28 game hitting streak only "met expectations"?

If Carlos Lee isn't back, I'm definitely not renewing my season tickets for 2005.

maurice
10-04-2004, 07:03 PM
The only qualifying outfielder with a PERFECT 1.000 fielding percentage and a 28 game hitting streak only "met expectations"?
Sorry, but I'm a big CLee fan and none of that surprised me. I expected him to improve some, and I don't buy the media hype that said he's a bad fielder. I also took note of the following:

2003 - .291 AVE, 35 2B, 31 HR, 18 SB, 37 BB, 91 SO, 100 Runs, 113 RBI
2004 - .305 AVE, 37 2B, 31 HR, 11 SB, 54 BB, 86 SO, 103 Runs, 99 RBI

Pretty damn close, except more walks and fewer RBI. Like I said, he's a model of consistency.

MRKARNO
10-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Sorry, but I'm a big CLee fan and none of that surprised me. I expected him to improve some, and I don't buy the media hype that said he's a bad fielder. I also took note of the following:

2003 - .291 AVE, 35 2B, 31 HR, 18 SB, 37 BB, 91 SO, 100 Runs, 113 RBI
2004 - .305 AVE, 37 2B, 31 HR, 11 SB, 54 BB, 86 SO, 103 Runs, 99 RBI

Pretty damn close, except more walks and fewer RBI. Like I said, he's a model of consistency.
He also legitimized his numbers by doing it without Thomas. There was speculation last year that his numbers were partially due to batting 2 in front of THomas in 2003, but that speculation seems to have died now.

mweflen
10-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Good post! Here are my thoughts:

Rowand - A - They should have played him all year. Last year's performance spoke to a strong improvement. The Wee Willie Experiment in center surely cost us a few games.
Lee - A - Consistent Average, Power showed up later. Steady Defense.
Konerko - A - I'd like to see 20 more points on AVE, but you can't argue with 40 plus dingers.
Gload - A - Super Sub! Clutch and steady. Does he have the mobility for 3rd if Crede continues to slide?
Uribe - B - More pop than expected, nearly sterling defense, but needs to avoid prolonged slumps.
Burke - B - Seems like a consistent performer. Why did Davis get all the ABs?
Davis - C - Streaky. Rebounded well after tough trade.
Perez - C - Clutch, but not steady.
Valdez - C - Looks like this guy can hit a little.
Crede - D - 3 months to turn it around, otherwise it's free agent time. Great Defense.
Harris - D - A one-tool player too chicken-$#!* to use his one tool. OBP way too low anyway. What's the point?
Everett - D - Showed flashes, then disappeared with wussy injuries.
Alomar Jr. - D - If he can't play, what good is he?
Valentin - D - Becoming one dimensional, too inconsistent to bog down a lineup every day.
Borchard - F - What can you say when you're under the Mendoza line in extended ABs? Oh wait: "Double A."
Alomar (2b) - F - Time to hang up the cleats.

Takatsu - A - 2005 = Shingo time.
Garcia - B - Steady horse-type pitcher.
Buerhle - B - Steady horse-type pitcher.
Marte - B - his numbers are there. Why do I feel he did worse than they indicate?
Adkins - C - Looks like he can eat some innings.
Cotts - C - Jim Parque: The Next Generation.
Loaiza - C - Obviously on the downslide. Glad we bailed when we did.
Contreras - C - Too inconsistent to trust, too good to ditch. AIEEE!!!
Grilli - C - The sad thing is, I'd rather see him on the bump than Graland. Speaking of which...
Garland - D - Major disappointment. Afraid to walk batters on a full count, leading to the big HR. 3 months to turn it around, otherwise FA time.
Politte - D - Showed flashes, seemed to be nagged by something I know not what.
Diaz - D - One good game when it counted, the rest stinkers.
Munoz - F - More grist for the White Sox Pitching Hype Mill.
Schoeneweis - F - the 6 wins weren't worth the whining. He gone!
Koch - F - look for him to be flipping burgers with John Rocker inside of 2 years.
Jackson - F-minus - ERA isn't half what it should be. Came into bases loaded situations and coughed up salamis galore. Never seeing him again would be too soon.

Incomplete grades:

Thomas - B - Seemed capable of repeating 2003. Can he do it in '05?
Ordonez - A - Looked headed for another .300/30/100 year before Wee Willie crushed all our dreams along with Maggs' knee.

All I want for Xmas:

-A credible, productive 2B. Or, in the alternative, never to see Willie Harris chewing his cud ever again.
-A credible, consistent 3rd starter. Oh, and 4th. And 5th, too.
-Middle relief not named Latroy.
-Kelly Wunsch back in the bigs. Who wouldn't want a sub-mariner from each side?
-Maggs patrolling right. Borchard back with the Barons. Or better yet, Stanford.

munchman33
10-04-2004, 07:18 PM

If Carlos Lee isn't back, I'm definitely not renewing my season tickets for 2005.
It's real easy not to make an error when you never get to anything. Also, balls lost in the lights that the outfielder never touches, even if their right at them, do not count as errors. Carlos had that happen four times this season.

hold2dibber
10-05-2004, 08:07 AM
I disagree on that. Timo was one of the few players on the team that did the little things well and hit with runners in scoring position. That is what veteran players are supposed to bring to a club. The problem is that there were too many holes in the lineup around him. Timo would make a great 7 hitter on a team with a real lineup.
Ugh. Timo would make a lousy no. 9 hitter on a team with a fantastic line-up. He's fine as a 4th (or 5th) outfielder, but he clearly is not an everyday player. Not by a long shot.

HomeFish
10-05-2004, 08:12 AM
It's real easy not to make an error when you never get to anything. Also, balls lost in the lights that the outfielder never touches, even if their right at them, do not count as errors. Carlos had that happen four times this season.

He also robbed numerous homers and threw out quite a few runners at the plate.

I suppose my stance on this is already well known; ave caballus.