PDA

View Full Version : Nomar / Freddy Garcia trades in retrospect...

Aidan
10-04-2004, 12:16 AM
"Garciaparra eligible to become free agent"
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1894268

Many people here were saying that KW got robbed by Seattle in the Freddy Garcia deal but that Jim Hendry robbed Boston in the Nomar deal. Well, considering neither team made the playoffs, the trades now have to be viewed on what these two players bring to their respective teams in the future. The Sox have Garcia locked up for 3 more years while Nomar is a free agent. If Nomar does not resign with the Cubs, wouldn't that make the Sox trade for Freddy look instantly better? Afterall, the Cubs will have given up Alex Gonzalez (whom the Expos traded for a PTBNL), Francis Beltran (possible future closer), Brendan Harris (future 2nd baseman), and Justin Jones (top pitching prospect).

LincolnSquareOz
10-04-2004, 10:26 AM
What does the future hold for Freddy Garcia? Who knows for sure. I hope it's a 16 or 17 win season and return to the upper-tier of AL pitchers. He was plain awful in August (6+ ERA).

I can't see Nomar returning to the Cubs unless they seriously overpay for the guy. He's not worth what he's asking for anymore.

The BoSox seemed to have been the undeniable winners of the big deadline deal.

kittle42
10-04-2004, 10:34 AM
What does the future hold for Freddy Garcia? Who knows for sure. I hope it's a 16 or 17 win season and return to the upper-tier of AL pitchers. He was plain awful in August (6+ ERA).
He will be great....if we can only pitch him during road day games.

PatK
10-04-2004, 12:52 PM
I don't see how it's even a question as far as who got the better trade.

Freddy has been a great addition to the team and will be around for the next few seasons.

Nomar was such a stereotypical Cubs pickup, a "let's get a well known player who's career is on the downswing" who will end up being a footnote on this season's meltdown.

AddisonStSox
10-04-2004, 01:17 PM
Wait a minute, Wait a minute...we gave up Jeremy Reed.

--------
In Loving Memory
Sports Celebrtiy Look Alike

ma-gaga
10-04-2004, 04:04 PM
I don't see how it's even a question as far as who got the better trade.uh. To play devil's advocate. You have NO IDEA how good of a trade it is. You will have to wait 5-6 years to truly get a good idea of how much you gave up for Garcia.

Reed/Olivo could become perennial all-stars starting next year, and Garcia could blow his arm out.

Or

Olivo/Reed could be cut from baseball and Garcia dominate leading the W.Sox to their first championship in 85+ years. Never mind that you could have picked up Garcia as a FA this summer AND kept Reed/Olivo.

Who did the Cubs give up for Nomar?? Justin Jones? Alex Gonzalez? Francis Beltran?? Maybe they turn into all-stars, maybe not. There's no way of knowing for sure. Ask this question again in 5 years. Calling the trade a "steal" for anyone is shortsighted.

Flight #24
10-04-2004, 04:16 PM
uh. To play devil's advocate. You have NO IDEA how good of a trade it is. You will have to wait 5-6 years to truly get a good idea of how much you gave up for Garcia.

Reed/Olivo could become perennial all-stars starting next year, and Garcia could blow his arm out.

Or

Olivo/Reed could be cut from baseball and Garcia dominate leading the W.Sox to their first championship in 85+ years. Never mind that you could have picked up Garcia as a FA this summer AND kept Reed/Olivo.

Who did the Cubs give up for Nomar?? Justin Jones? Alex Gonzalez? Francis Beltran?? Maybe they turn into all-stars, maybe not. There's no way of knowing for sure. Ask this question again in 5 years. Calling the trade a "steal" for anyone is shortsighted.
True, but if Garcia gets hurt, IMO it doesn't diminish the trade in any way because that's not something KW could project. The same as if Reed/Olivo get hit by the same chunk of falling concrete during an interleague game a Wrigley.

As for the Garcia as FA this summer comment, Sox without Garcia were going to have a hard time making the playoffs. With him, they were the favorites until Maggs & Frank went out for good.

santo=dorf
10-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Justin Jones? Maybe they turn into all-stars, maybe not. There's no way of knowing for sure.
Are you kidding me? The Twins have him now! :D:

We might not know if he'll become an All-Star for years to come, but you can bank on him being a Sox killer as long as he has a "m" on his cap. :anon:

balke
10-05-2004, 02:07 PM

I can't see Nomar returning to the Cubs unless they seriously overpay for the guy. He's not worth what he's asking for anymore.

The BoSox seemed to have been the undeniable winners of the big deadline deal.
Freddy can't pitch on a 4-man. He needs full rest, and is best on 6 days rest. Pitching so often was a reason for him going on the DL

I don't like that he needs to be babied, but I do like how good he is when he's on full rest. Freddy Garcia (if this team can score runs) should be an 18 game winner next season. THis isn't a hawkesque jinx, Freddy's just that good, looking to get better. A lot of his horrible outings were avoidable with good pitcher management.

I agree that Bosox look like they did the right thing in the end, but I still feel they could've gotten more for Nomar Garciaparra. At least they got something, but a prospect should've came included w/ Cabrera (if one did, please let me know, I wasn't aware).

Cubs spent SO MUCH MONEY to fail. I love it. Not only did they lose the playoffs, but they lost the "curse" legacy. CHokerS! I don't see that team succeeding next season. They'd have to spend about 5-10 mil more to fill in holes created this offseason. We'll see what happens. Bosox look good, Angels look better. I think Boston might have to try again next season.