PDA

View Full Version : WGN Radio: Sosa shows up late/leaves early.

santo=dorf
10-03-2004, 05:24 PM
What a team player.

:nandrolone

"It takes a long time to cork bat, and I left early because my wife cut herself with a knife again."

TornLabrum
10-03-2004, 05:43 PM
What a team player.

"It takes a long time to cork bat, and I left early because my wife cut herself with a knife again."

"And after that she hit herself in the head with a rum bottle."

duke of dorwood
10-03-2004, 08:12 PM

I had a lead on my missing bag of money

DumpJerry
10-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Two words: He gone. I know he is under contract for next year and the Tribune will not trade someone they feel who brings in major revenue despite the problems he brings, so he will be here next year. One thing this year proves, however, is that Scammy gets more and more trivial with the passing of each day. Does anyone think that opposing teams this season feared him like they did in the (steroid-filled) past? Does not seem like it. He has digressed into a 14 year old child whose immediate and only occupation is fulfillment of his own selfish needs.

If the Tribune gets tired of his *stuff*, he will get traded to an AL team because he fields about as well as my 3 year old nephew. As a DH, he is mediocre now, certainly not worth the 16 million or so he will be paid next year.

So, the Tribune is stuck with him because of the ridiculous contract they gave him. This proves the rule "be careful of what you ask for, you might get it."

So, Flub fans, enjoy going into the 2005 season with the number two all time strikeout leader in the history of major league baseball!

flo-B-flo
10-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Caveat emptor to ANYONE who even thinks of taking on Captain selfish. El Corko just has run out the string on his steroid fueled run. Everything good and bad comes to an end. Hasta la vista to the garbage can lid glove, the steroid enhanced career, and the ridiculous hippity-hop after a fly ball.:smile:

Lip Man 1
10-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Some talk is surfacing that Minaya the new mets G.M. is interested.

Lip

Aidan
10-03-2004, 10:19 PM

LipI heard that the Cubs would dump Sosa to the Mets for Cliff Floyd and send the Mets money. They would end up saving millions.

JoseCanseco6969
10-03-2004, 10:33 PM
I heard that the Cubs would dump Sosa to the Mets for Cliff Floyd and send the Mets money. They would end up saving millions.
And if they are smart, they will do it. Do you actually think Wrigley wont sell out next year if Soso isnt there?? The guy was freaking booed almost every game the second half.

Aidan
10-03-2004, 10:37 PM
And if they are smart, they will do it. Do you actually think Wrigley wont sell out next year if Soso isnt there?? The guy was freaking booed almost every game the second half.The problem for the Cubs is that I think Sosa has a no-trade clause and they can only trade him during a two week period late in next season. However, maybe Sosa would waive his no-trade clause because of his ego being hurt by the Flubs fans' boos. Maybe he wouldn't mind a fresh start with Mets fans who would probably love his sorry ass as he adds to his career strikeout total in New York. :tongue:

Unregistered
10-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Looks like Sammy is doing is best Jon Rauch impression

Sosa had been told Saturday he would not be in the starting lineup Sunday, so coming to the ballpark two hours later than usual wasn't all that bad. But leaving before the Cubs' 10-8 victory over Atlanta sent the Cubs' hierarchy into anger management.

"I didn't know he was going to leave," manager Dusty Baker said. "No, I didn't give him permission. I don't know why. It is what it is."

Asked why Sosa would want to leave, Baker said, "No idea."

General manager Jim Hendry wouldn't talk in depth but was upset at his highest-paid player not being in the dugout for the final game.

"Even if he wasn't playing, obviously he should have been here with his teammates," Hendry said.
And now it is possible Sosa has played his final game as a Cub... (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-041003cubsside,1,218730.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

:whiner::cool:

DMarte708
10-03-2004, 10:48 PM

LipNO........NO! Why is Minaya even the GM if he's going to make a ridiculous trade such as this. Let the Cubs suffocate with Sosa's 17 million dollar contract. This trade would be much more beneficial to the Cubs, as their club house cancer is gone and a significant sum of money will (likely) be available to fill various roster holes.

Why can't Minaya realize this trade would only strengthen the Cubs. Sure, if you're looking to fill seats then make the trade. If you ever intend of transfering media attention from the Yankees and WINNING, then avoid this sham.This would be comparable to another club accepting Chan Ho Park, ignoring how the contract is effectively keeping the team from contention. And knowing Jim Hendry, he'll somehow rip off the Mets of a few high valued prospects and will be declared a genius.

historian
10-03-2004, 10:50 PM
"Sosa shows up late/leaves early."

I thought this was about his Sox tour. :gulp:

Aidan
10-03-2004, 10:50 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-041003cubsside,1,218730.story?coll=cs-home-headlines
But the Cubs would have to pay a good part of the $35 million for two years left on his contract if they can find a taker. They probably also would have to take on a high-salaried, low-production player in return.
It definately looks like the Cubs could send Sosa and cash to the Mets for Cliff Floyd. Floyd is a high-salaried ($6,000,0000 a year), low-production player (.260 AVG / 18 HR / 63 RBI) and could replace Sosa in right field if he can ever get healthy.

DrCrawdad
10-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Looks like Sammy is doing is best Jon Rauch impression

And now it is possible Sosa has played his final game as a Cub... (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-041003cubsside,1,218730.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

:whiner::cool:

This season has been one of turmoil for the only player in baseball history with three 60-homer seasons. His power and production have dwindled along with his size. - Paul Sullivan, Cubune.

Open season on Sosa at the Cubune. Considering that, I'd say HE GONE!

Aidan
10-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Open season on Sosa at the Cubune. Considering that, I'd say HE GONE!Wow, the Cubune actually inferring that Sosa is finally off the roids, hence the loss of 20 pounds? :o:

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-03-2004, 11:23 PM
I definitely think this is a sign of things to come for Sosa. The Cubs use the Tribune newspaper to make Sosa look bad when they're mad at him. Didn't they run a story on him evading parking tickets or something back during his last contract negotiations?

DrCrawdad
10-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Mind you I'm not implying there is conspiracy at Cubune Inc. where there is a meeting where they say, "It is now ok to bash Sosa..." But I think Sully's little bash on Sosa reveals the under current there at Cubune Inc.

kittle42
10-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Why can't Minaya realize this trade would only strengthen the Cubs.
What does he care about whether the trade strengthens the Cubs?

Sure, if you're looking to fill seats then make the trade.
No one doubts that this is the reason for the trade.

This would be comparable to another club accepting Chan Ho Park, ignoring how the contract is effectively keeping the team from contention.
I understand the point you are trying to make, but this move is purely one (if it is made) to grab media attention and fill seats. No one os going to a game solely to see Chan Ho Park.

Flight #24
10-04-2004, 10:37 AM
:KW
"Anyone interested in Sammy Sosa should contact me immediately"

Jerko
10-04-2004, 11:20 AM
It's a well planned "conspiracy" by the Cubs and the Tribune. They probably "told" Scammy to leave early yesterday to start this tidal wave of outrage, so when they DO get rid of him, none of the "best fans in baseball" will be upset, thereby keeping alive the warm and fuzzy tradition that this loveable, down to earth, fan-friendly bunch of players, coaches, and front-office types have worked so hard to garner these last 3 years.

daveeym
10-04-2004, 11:54 AM
Wow, the Cubune actually inferring that Sosa is finally off the roids, hence the loss of 20 pounds? :o: Maybe it was just sullivan's line I read but didn't baker sorta imply it too? I thought one of his quotes mentioned something about sammy gaining his size or strength back also.

chisoxt
10-04-2004, 12:09 PM
NO........NO! Why is Minaya even the GM if he's going to make a ridiculous trade such as this. Let the Cubs suffocate with Sosa's 17 million dollar contract. This trade would be much more beneficial to the Cubs, as their club house cancer is gone and a significant sum of money will (likely) be available to fill various roster holes.

Why can't Minaya realize this trade would only strengthen the Cubs. Sure, if you're looking to fill seats then make the trade. If you ever intend of transfering media attention from the Yankees and WINNING, then avoid this sham.This would be comparable to another club accepting Chan Ho Park, ignoring how the contract is effectively keeping the team from contention. And knowing Jim Hendry, he'll somehow rip off the Mets of a few high valued prospects and will be declared a genius.
My thoughts exactly, Dmatre. There always seems to be a GM out there stupid enough to let Hendry off the hook. My advise to baseball GMs, make the Cubs keep Sosa. With him on the team, it would be difficult for them to win with him on the roster. For once, I would love to see someone really stick it to the Cubs.

DumpJerry
10-04-2004, 05:12 PM
And if they are smart, they will do it. Do you actually think Wrigley wont sell out next year if Soso isnt there?? The guy was freaking booed almost every game the second half.If he thought the fools at The Urinal were rough.....wait for the New York crowd. They actually watch the game!:D:

RKMeibalane
10-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Sportscenter is going to air Sosa's comments about this situation in a few minutes. I'm interested in hearing what that fool has to say for himself.

:shammy

"Beisbol has been berry, berry goodtome."

RKMeibalane
10-04-2004, 05:35 PM
:shammy

"I'm tired of being blamed by Dusty Baker for all the failures of this club."

This man is a complete fraud. What a worthless piece of ****.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-04-2004, 07:00 PM
Sammy needed to duck out before the cops started asking questions. It's hard to find a public pay phone to dial the Dominican Republic when you're as big a celebrity as Scammy.

I'm sure by now he and his relatives all have their story straight.
:cool:

"I only used the corked bat for entertaining the fans during batting practice!"

DumpJerry
10-06-2004, 12:10 AM
On his show tonight, Jim Rome mentioned how Scammy claims he left the game in the 7th inning but the Tribune Co. released their security video showing Mr. Franchise leaving the game 15 MINUTES AFTER THE FIRST PITCH OF THE GAME! Maybe it was a quick game? Rome then went on a rant about Scammy's veracity (something we've been saying here for years) and how he is paid about $100,000.00 per game, more than 95% of the people in country make IN ONE YEAR!

Looks like the Tribune Co. is loading Mr. Sensitive into the catapult............