PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Memorable Moments

RKMeibalane
10-03-2004, 02:59 PM
What are your memorable moments from the 2004 Sox season? I've listed mine below. They have more of a sarcastic tone, but they do, to a certain extent, sum up all of the problems that this organization has.

1. Kenny "Decoy" Williams crticizing Frank Thomas for not sitting on the bench, even though he was unable to play due to injury.

2. Kenny Williams telling members of the Chicago media that he would "throw up" if he saw another home-run swing with two strikes.

3. Ozzie Guillen talking about adding "guys who can bunt and do the little things" during the upcoming off-season.

Pea-Pod
10-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Memorable moment

1. Hawk taking shots at bors and bernsie on sox telecast
i dont really want to remember anything else

chisoxmike
10-03-2004, 03:39 PM
1. The 7/24 game vs. the Tigers. Down 6-2 in the 7th, Tie in the 8th, win in the 9th on Crede's solo home run. Also our last day in 1st place.

2. Timo annoying Carlos Zambrano on 1st base, and Zambrano's endless attempts to pick him off, all the while not working then he serves one up to Crede.

3. C'mon Timo, C'mon Timo, C'mon Timo!

kittle42
10-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Memorable moment

1. Hawk taking shots at bors and bernsie on sox telecast
i dont really want to remember anything else
It's "Boers."

kittle42
10-03-2004, 03:47 PM
1. The time Felix Diaz actually got somebody out.

2. The time Joe Borchard actually made an out without striking out.

3. The game where Joe Crede got a hit.

JGarlandrules20
10-03-2004, 03:48 PM
-Carlos's 28 game hitting streak

-6 run 9th inning come back vs the Indians

-Crede's walk-off against Detroit

-April 25th, trailing by 2 going into the bottom of the 9th and winning it.

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-03-2004, 03:52 PM
5/15 when the white sox lost to the twins 1-4 just because it was the last game my dad and i watched before he passed away a few hours later. other than that i don't really want to remember what happend in this season after maggs and thomas went down

chisoxmike
10-03-2004, 03:54 PM
-6 run 9th inning come back vs the Indians
There was nothing like listening to that game in my car on the way home with them being down 9-5, and then getting home and watch them win it 10-9. Simply amazing.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32441

Pea-Pod
10-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Timo Perez's base clearing single against the angels was amazing

chisoxmike
10-03-2004, 04:25 PM
I have to say too, that the crowds were great this season. Hawk said it today, no matter the size of the crowd, the fans were great. Everybody was loud and seemed like they were into the games. We really showed we loved our team this year, it must carry over into 05. :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

ewokpelts
10-03-2004, 04:35 PM
5/15 when the white sox lost to the twins 1-4 just because it was the last game my dad and i watched before he passed away a few hours later. other than that i don't really want to remember what happend in this season after maggs and thomas went downsorry about your dad.....
Gene

nodiggity59
10-03-2004, 05:20 PM
1. Timo's base clearing single vs Angels (mad speed Willie!)

2. Maggs' walk off homer vs Royals in extras

3. Crede's Walk Off vs Tigers (high pt of season)

4. Diaz's win vs the Cubs

5. C'mon Timo! C'mon Timo! C'mon Timo!

6. Ozzie RIPPING Showalter a new a-hole:D:

7. Sox's sweep in Minny

8. Shingo.

9. Uribe and Harris in May

10. Finding out we acquired Garcia

Also, not sure if this counts but BMac's success has been awesome.

white sox bill
10-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Not to sound negative, heres a few "bad" ones:
*Losing game 1 to KC when Marte gave up HR
*Re-acuiring Carl
*" " Robby
*Losing to the bad guys from north side
*the entire month of August
*Losing Maggs and Frank

I could go on and on...

BarbG
10-03-2004, 07:06 PM
5/15 when the white sox lost to the twins 1-4 just because it was the last game my dad and i watched before he passed away a few hours later.

I am so sorry. I missed the whole '83 season because I couldn't bear it without my dad. Hopefully time will help heal for you too.

HITMEN OF 77
10-03-2004, 07:22 PM
"At the game"---was the 2nd game of the opening homestand vs KS 4-14? I think, when Crede hit the gw single in the bottom of the ninth. That was awesome, glad I was there!

"On TV"--Hawk "Come on Timo, come on Timo" & when Hawk and DJ were talking about "Mothers Milk"

Pea-Pod
10-03-2004, 07:47 PM
Paul konerko's game tying 3 run homer in the rain (on the verge of being a rain out). i forget who it was against. o well

Ol' No. 2
10-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Coming back against Cleveland from being down 8-2 going into the bottom of the 7th, capped off with a 5-run 9th.

CubKilla
10-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Paul konerko's game tying 3 run homer in the rain (on the verge of being a rain out). i forget who it was against. o well
The Orioles on 05/13

kevingrt
10-03-2004, 10:44 PM
I wanna cry reading and watching all these amazing moments and thinking how we should still be playing baseball in October

manuelsucks
10-03-2004, 11:02 PM
The Orioles on 05/13
summary of game (http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/live/MLB_20040513_BAL@CHW_2)

Oh god...everyplayer involed in that win invokes some sort of memory

Mags - what if??
Jackson - there is not a word to describe how much i hated that man
koch - see above
diaz - not starting material
paulie - the man

mike squires
10-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Was it last year Frank hit a home run to beat the Twins? Just before that he hit one that just missed being fair. If it was this year that was mine. If it was last yfear...where the hell does the time go?

Ol' No. 2
10-03-2004, 11:23 PM
Was it last year Frank hit a home run to beat the Twins? Just before that he hit one that just missed being fair. If it was this year that was mine. If it was last yfear...where the hell does the time go?Last year. Late June, I think. Extra inning game. Konerko, in the midst of an AWFUL slump, hit a pinch hit HR in the 10th or 11th to tie after Minny went ahead in the top of the inning. Thomas ended the game in the 12th(?). Absolutely the most memorable moment of 2003. Unfortunately, there were also a few that I can't forget no matter how hard I try.

gobears1987
10-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Best TV calls:
C'mon Timo
Game! (after Crede's walk off)
DJ's "I'm gonna eat this paper if he doesn't get this RBI."
Hawk bashing Moronotti during the picks to click

Whitesox029
10-04-2004, 12:24 AM
The game Jose won in the 10th with a HR to right field--I think it was vs. Minny though I don't remember what day it was, and I remember giving high fives to random people running up and down the aisles (just awesome) and chanting incessantly "Jose Jose Jose" on the ramps as we left. One of our High points.

The third game of the Crosstown series at home where Timo hit the HR and Hollandsworth injured himself on the foul ball. The Sox pride was really flowing as we walked out of the park that day.

chisoxmike
10-04-2004, 12:36 AM
That was 6/22 vs. the Indians. That was the game the Sox were up something like 9-0 and the tribe came back and tied it. I remember watching it on TV when the Indians tied and Hawk held back everything and just said "Now you got to suck it up, and win, suck it up and win!"

I remember when Jose hit that. My girlfriend and I jumped off the couch and yelled YES!

Whitesox029
10-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Was it last year Frank hit a home run to beat the Twins? Just before that he hit one that just missed being fair. If it was this year that was mine. If it was last yfear...where the hell does the time go?Oh man...July 2, 2003. Greatest game I have ever seen at 35th & Shields. It was incredible. They were tied in the 9th and then the Twins got one in the top of the tenth then PK came up as a pinch hitter with two outs and no one on and hit a solo shot to left center off of Every-Day-Eddie Guardado. Then in the 12th inning with a man on and the score tied Big Frank hit several long foul balls and finally got one out of here down the line. I saved the newspaper from the next day but I think my mom threw it out. Unfortunately I also vividly remember the next game, July 4, 2003, in which Botch gave up a walk-off HR to Carl Crawford in TB, taking the wind out of everyone's sails.......

That reminds me...we have at least a 2 game losing streak on Independence Day. We play Tampa again on the 4th next year, but it's at home this time.

santo=dorf
10-04-2004, 12:52 AM
That reminds me...we have at least a 2 game losing streak on Independence Day. We play Tampa again on the 4th next year, but it's at home this time.
Sox blowpen went into full effect on July 4th, 2002. Foulke and Osuna threw a ton of gas on the fire as the Sox were pwned by Steve Sparks and the Detroit Tigers.:(:

chisoxmike
10-04-2004, 12:59 AM
Sox blowpen went into full effect on July 4th, 2002. Foulke and Osuna threw a ton of gas on the fire as the Sox were pwned by Steve Sparks and the Detroit Tigers.:(:
God, dont bring that one up, I was there. :whiner:

Pea-Pod
10-04-2004, 01:31 AM
[QUOTE=Whitesox029]They were tied in the 9th and then the Twins got one in the top of the tenth then PK came up as a pinch hitter with two outs and no one on and hit a solo shot to left center off of Every-Day-Eddie Guardado. [QUOTE]
-oops

YEA MAN, I had tears in my eyes when paulie hit that. cuz he was suckin so bad the whole year.

Mohoney
10-04-2004, 01:43 AM
Best TV calls:
C'mon Timo
Game! (after Crede's walk off)
DJ's "I'm gonna eat this paper if he doesn't get this RBI."
Hawk bashing Moronotti during the picks to click
How about DJ's "You, uh, you can put it up there!" after a Rowand home run?

SomebodyToldMe
10-04-2004, 01:48 AM
Paulie's 9 RBI during the first cub series.

Dice
10-04-2004, 07:18 AM
July 1st 2-1 win against the Twins. Completing the 3 game sweep of the Twinkies at the Metro Dome against AL Cy Young winner Johan Santana. And what was more amazing was Jon Garland was the winning pitcher.

Big ups to Garland. His first season where his record was over .500! 12-11

mike squires
10-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Last year. Late June, I think. Extra inning game. Konerko, in the midst of an AWFUL slump, hit a pinch hit HR in the 10th or 11th to tie after Minny went ahead in the top of the inning. Thomas ended the game in the 12th(?). Absolutely the most memorable moment of 2003. Unfortunately, there were also a few that I can't forget no matter how hard I try.
Great call by Hawk...Paul Konerko has tied this game at...whatever the score was. I think Hawk was on the verge of having tears in his eyes.

RKMeibalane
10-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Great call by Hawk...Paul Konerko has tied this game at...whatever the score was. I think Hawk was on the verge of having tears in his eyes.
Konerko tied the game at six.

SSN721
10-04-2004, 11:14 AM
THe saturday game vs. the Cubs at Comiskey, Timo, Crede, the first time I saw the Shingo entrance video/gong show, and Felix Diaz looking like a ML pitcher.
The Orioles doubleheader on 5/13 I think. It was so surreal, you could see the wall of rain approaching as Paulie was at the bat, the Orioles purposely taking time between pitches to try to get to the rain delay before they gave up any runs. Just as the wall of rain moved over the 1st base side, onto the grass, Paulie just clocks the ball knocking it out. Ended up leaving but listened to the radio later to hear the SOx close it out.
The tue night slugfest vs. the Phillies.
The sweep in Minneapolis.
The sunday win vs. the Twins at home in the first series agains them where we killed them, I think 10-3.
So many good memories, just a few I can think of, oh, the walk off homer by valentin. DOnt remember who it was agianst or when, just a great game.

CubKilla
10-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Big ups to Garland. His first season where his record was over .500! 12-11
YAY!

Jurr
10-04-2004, 11:35 AM
The "come on, Timo" one was classic.

How about the 14-0 shutout of the Indians this year?
It was probably the closest to perfect the Sox played.

LVSoxFan
10-04-2004, 02:21 PM
1. The 7/24 game vs. the Tigers. Down 6-2 in the 7th, Tie in the 8th, win in the 9th on Crede's solo home run. Also our last day in 1st place.

2. Timo annoying Carlos Zambrano on 1st base, and Zambrano's endless attempts to pick him off, all the while not working then he serves one up to Crede.

3. C'mon Timo, C'mon Timo, C'mon Timo!
LMAO! I REMEMBER that whole Timo thing with Zambrano! Like, "Could you possibly waste more time throwing the ball at first base?!" Then he gives up a homer! Thanks for reminding me!

I agree with you about the Crede home run--I do believe that was always on the main screen at the cell when they'd do the intros, since it was such a highlight.

On a sadder note, I think the lowlight, or the turning point for me was either the Tori Hunter episode or the Sox getting swept at Wrigley for the second series--I was at that game and that was a black, black day. That's when I knew something was wrong with this season.

PatK
10-04-2004, 04:55 PM
How could anybody forget when they went to Florida to play the Marlins and came back without Billy Koch?

I couldn't care less who they got for him, I was just glad he was gone.

Nick@Nite
10-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Crede's blast 7/24. I heard the highlight on espn radio while driving home from the Giants/Cards game at Busch Stadium.:smile: At that moment, I thought the Sox really had a chance to go the distance to take the division... they sank like a torpedoed row afterwards.:(:

hsnterprize
10-05-2004, 06:43 PM
I was in the press box when Shingo Takatsu took the mound the Saturday of the Cubs series at the Cell. The "gong show" was nothing short of electrifying. For a second, I thought I was at a WWE wrestling show...the crowd was THAT LOUD!!!!! And...Shingo was pretty close to striking out Sham-ME So-so that afternoon...that place would've gone completely bezerk if that happened.

In the conference center, just about every question asked to the players/manager had something to do with either Felix Diaz shutting down the Cubs and Carlos Zambrano, or with Shingo's entrance ovation. One of my questions was even quoted in the next day's Tribune by Rick Morrissey.

That, and other moments I don't have time to write about cap my 2004 season.

RichFitztightly
10-05-2004, 08:51 PM
The thing I remember most about this season was all the friggin' rain. During every homestand there was at least one rain delay, until the last two. This was the crappiest weather I can ever remember.

Alanzo
10-06-2004, 02:27 PM
The second game at Montreal. Thanks to Arnie the Sox were down 10-1 by the end of the second inning. Final score was 17-14. Uribe with 7 RBIs. 6 total home runs.....and it was in French. Damn kids would smack the hell out of the seats in the stadium instead of applaud.

pinwheels3530
10-07-2004, 01:00 PM
Opening day at Comiskey with Ozzie returning to Chicago, a suprise appearance by Carlton Fisk, the new Upper Deck, Frank Thomas and of course a White Sox winner!!!!

marlins03
10-07-2004, 07:44 PM
this one is just for you Sox fans the Game were you hit 2 HR's of armando benitez and came back to win it in game 1 :D:

flo-B-flo
10-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Oz and the umpire. Then he called him a liar!

fuzzy_patters
10-08-2004, 12:31 AM
I don't remember too many details, but I liked the game one with the Phillies that turned into a slow pitch softball game. I think the Phillies scored 3 or 4 runs in the top of the first, and found themselves down in the bottom of the first. All I remember is that the Sox won by a football type score, and Thome hit at least one homer. Of course Thome always hits homers against the Sox. This was the first really hot night of the season, and it was the first time that it was apparent that the Cell had become Coors East.

Also, the game where Buehrle shutout Cleveland. It has been a long time since a Sox pitcher pitched that well. The only 3 games I remember in the last 5 years in which a Sox pitcher was that dominant were that one, Buehrle against TB in 2001, and Eldred against Baltimore in 2000. There have been other shutouts, but I can't remember any others in which the opposing hitters looked baffled.