PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Thought: Sox vs. Cubs records

Brian26
10-03-2004, 12:38 PM
All of a sudden, as we go into the last game of the season...

The Cubs have 88 wins. The Sox have 82 wins.

Without their best two players (Frank and Magglio), the Sox are only 6 games behind the Cubs.

With all of the attention the Cubs got from the media in this town, the Sox will finish in 2nd place while the Cubs finish in 3rd place.

Very interesting.

MRKARNO
10-03-2004, 12:43 PM
The White Sox only had 2 less wins last year too and that didnt seem to change the media perspective.

Brian26
10-03-2004, 12:57 PM
The White Sox only had 2 less wins last year too and that didnt seem to change the media perspective.
Yeah, but the Cubs were five outs from making the World Series. They deserved more media attention last year than our underachieving, over-talented team.

Pea-Pod
10-03-2004, 01:03 PM
the cubs did have significant injuries to the pitching staff, but their injuries were not as bad as the Sox, b/c frank thomas and maggs are so crucial to our style of play offensivly, while the cubs got good pitching no matter who they put out there. the cubs offfense just choked under all the pressure this year.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Don't forget the Sox were in first place as late as July and didn't swoon until both Frank and Maggs were all but officially announced as injured and out for the rest of the year. That's FAR BETTER than the Flubbies who were never in serious contention after St. Louis spent the first three months of the season using the Flubbies' skulls like a bongo drum.

Of course all the media attention was centered on the Flubs regardless of this outcome, from Kerry Woods 'roid rage fits, to Mark Prior's oowie ankle... WHOOPS! ... I mean tender elbow. The joke is on you, Lovable Loserville and Chicago sports mediots!

And of course there were plenty of other dopey opinions posted here about the Cubs having the wild card sewn up. Going all the way back to July these people just made bigger and bigger asses of themselves all summer long. I tried telling them winning the wild card was a crap shoot and far more difficult than simply winning your own division but they wouldn't hear of it. These dumbasses are all lying low in the weeds today.

The Flubs couldn't have asked for a better trip towards the wild card-- and they still managed to **** it up... all those teams lying down for them back around Labor Day, and not a single first-place team swooning and "falling back" into the wild card lead.

They had the look of LOSERS from the moment the Cardinals finished them off. Only some lucky breaks kept them close and in the end they simply choked like the LOSERS they had already been revealed to be last June/July. So naturally they blame Steve Stone for their failure... what a bunch of ****-ups.

The Lovable Losers aren't even lovable anymore. They're just LOSERS.

Kogs35
10-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Don't forget the Sox were in first place as late as July and didn't swoon until both Frank and Maggs were all but officially announced as injured and out for the rest of the year. That's FAR BETTER than the Flubbies who were never in serious contention after St. Louis spent the first three months of the season using the Flubbies' skulls like a bongo drum.

Of course all the media attention was centered on the Flubs regardless of this outcome, from Kerry Woods 'roid rage fits, to Mark Prior's oowie ankle... WHOOPS! ... I mean tender elbow. The joke is on you, Lovable Loserville and Chicago sports mediots!

And of course there were plenty of other dopey opinions posted here about the Cubs having the wild card sewn up. Going all the way back to July these people just made bigger and bigger asses of themselves all summer long. I tried telling them winning the wild card was a crap shoot and far more difficult than simply winning your own division but they wouldn't hear of it. These dumbasses are all lying low in the weeds today.

The Flubs couldn't have asked for a better trip towards the wild card-- and they still managed to **** it up... all those teams lying down for them back around Labor Day, and not a single first-place team swooning and "falling back" into the wild card lead.

They had the look of LOSERS from the moment the Cardinals finished them off. Only some lucky breaks kept them close and in the end they simply choked like the LOSERS they had already been revealed to be last June/July. So naturally they blame Steve Stone for their failure... what a bunch of ****-ups.

couldnt have said it better PHG

Pea-Pod
10-03-2004, 01:34 PM

hahah

u must listen to bors and bernsie alot; or u may be one of them

Brian26
10-03-2004, 01:39 PM
And of course there were plenty of other dopey opinions posted here about the Cubs having the wild card sewn up. Going all the way back to July these people just made bigger and bigger asses of themselves all summer long.
I would love to know where the **** George Offman is today. I remember sitting here the day they swindled Mia Hamm's husband from the Carmines and listening to Offman having an orgasm on the air as he read the news. Offman told us that the Cubs were GUARANTEED favorites going to the World Series. They who laugh last laugh the ****ing loudest. :bandance:

kittle42
10-03-2004, 02:43 PM
hahah

u must listen to bors and bernsie alot; or u may be one of them
You may not be long for this board. :smile:

Lip Man 1
10-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Brian says: "the Sox will finish in 2nd place while the Cubs finish in 3rd place."

This is not an attack but to be fair the Cardinals and Astros were far tougher then anybody in the Sox division.

Lip

Soxzilla
10-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Brian says: "the Sox will finish in 2nd place while the Cubs finish in 3rd place."

This is not an attack but to be fair the Cardinals and Astros were far tougher then anybody in the Sox division.

Lip
Don't the flubs also have 30 more million in payroll than the sox? Don't the cardinals and astros payrolls make a mockery of anyone in our division?

Hmmmm.

:supernana: :supernana:

Brian26
10-03-2004, 06:16 PM

Lip
Nice job of taking one line out of context. I still think it stands on its own though.

So when it is all said and done, the Cubs had a better record by 6 lousy games. *If* that rain-shortened game was played in its entirety back in July instead of being called after 5.5 innings, the difference might only be 4 games.

My point- based on the media coverage the crybabies got this year, you would have thought they won 100 and we won 70.

Without our two best players for half the year, they only beat us by 6 games.

Lip Man 1
10-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Brian:

Your issue seems to be then with the media perception and that's fine I don't think that has a lot to do with where the teams actually finished.

And as I and others have been saying, if the media is a problem for the Sox and perhaps more importantly to some Sox fans, then the simple solution is for the Sox to WIN something, don't you think? That should solve the 'perception,' 'media biasness,' 'Sox bashing' problems don't you think?

I think 'it's time,' for Sox fans to stop being so defensive over what the media does or does not say.

Lip

Pea-Pod
10-03-2004, 07:08 PM
the local media attention issue does not bother me.

i get more pissed off when baseball tonight can't even show the white sox highlights. I mean, an hour long show devoted to baseball that cant recap everygame is ridiculous. I often miss the games at college, and turn on baseball tonight to see highlights, and it's always the sox that get cut short.
But i get 15 minutes of harold reynolds teacing me how to bunt, saying the same thing over and over again.

kitekrazy
10-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Well the Cubs will still get plenty of medias attention but it isn't the attention anyone would want.

Hitmen77
10-04-2004, 08:13 AM
All of a sudden, as we go into the last game of the season...

The Cubs have 88 wins. The Sox have 82 wins.

Without their best two players (Frank and Magglio), the Sox are only 6 games behind the Cubs.

With all of the attention the Cubs got from the media in this town, the Sox will finish in 2nd place while the Cubs finish in 3rd place.

Very interesting.
It didn't even occur to me that their records were that close. The way people talk about the teams, you'd think they were comparing the records of the Yankees and Royals!

Not only did the Sox lose their 2 best players to injuries, but the Cubs are loaded with high-priced players. With Sosa, Alou, Derrick Lee and Garciapara - plus 2 'messiahs' in their starting rotation, they still can't crack 90 wins.

HOWEVER, as far as the attention the teams got this year, you have to admit that the Sox were essentially out of playoff contention at the end of July and the Cubs were very much in playoff contention until October 1.

soxtalker
10-04-2004, 09:58 AM

HOWEVER, as far as the attention the teams got this year, you have to admit that the Sox were essentially out of playoff contention at the end of July and the Cubs were very much in playoff contention until October 1.

I agree. It is a little hard for me to fault either the national or local media for their lack of Sox coverage. We fell out of the race early and very quickly. I was a bit surprised that the large crowds hung on as long as they did. Now, early in the year, we were getting far less coverage than the Cubs, but they were also coming off of a better finish last year and a better off season (e.g., Maddux).

It will be interesting to see how the media treats the Sox going into next year. On the national front, I wouldn't expect much for either the Sox or Cubs. Locally, both teams have disappointed and will make changes. I would expect expectations for both to be relatively low compared to this year. In the end, winning is the real answer.

Wealz
10-04-2004, 10:15 AM
I think 'it's time,' for Sox fans to stop being so defensive over what the media does or does not say.
Why?

Forget about how the team gets covered, I'd venture to say that there isn't a group of fans that gets worse treatment from its hometown media than Sox fans. Just one example of this is the numerous articles we see asking why Sox fans don't fill the park.