PDA

View Full Version : Swung On, Belted-Chimp's Gone

AddisonStSox
10-03-2004, 11:45 AM
As heard on ESPN Radio 1000, Bruce Levine reports the Flubs have fired Chimp Caray. So........he's the one to blame for their season.

Erik The Red
10-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Wonder where he goes now. Back to FOX?

dpbyron
10-03-2004, 11:48 AM
What a pathetic organization... Chimp might not be my cup of tea, but he fits in perfectly with the cheesiness of that outfit. Way to go Andy Mc FAIL!

Jjav829
10-03-2004, 11:50 AM
He has an offer from the Braves that he was weighing and considering accepting. Looks like he'll go work with his father, Skip, now.

Looks like the Cubs might have a completely new broadcasting team next year.

Dick Allen
10-03-2004, 12:04 PM
He has an offer from the Braves that he was weighing and considering accepting. Looks like he'll go work with his father, Skip, now.

Looks like the Cubs might have a completely new broadcasting team next year.Yeah, they're probably going to clone a couple of more Ron Santos.

FarWestChicago
10-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Looks like the Cubs might have a completely new broadcasting team next year.No reason to play the season in that case. Just give them the World Series. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Lip Man 1
10-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Where's Joe Carter when you need him!

LOL

Lip

LuvSox
10-03-2004, 12:07 PM

Looks like the Cubs might have a completely new broadcasting team next year.
Dave Otto & Rick Sutcliffe. Oh my god, there is a worse combo than Chimp and Stoney!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Dave Otto & Rick Sutcliffe. Oh my god, there is a worse combo than Chimp and Stoney!Omigod. They'll go the entire season without either of them ever uttering a sentence with a beginning, a middle, and an end.

*****! They'll be perfect for Lovable Loserville!

:bandance:

:lynch&mcfail
"Having anyone with a functioning brain stem working on our broadcast team was a major shortcoming in 2004. Fortunately we have two ex-Cubs to solve this problem! Flubs fans, please welcome Dave Otto and Rick Sutcliffe!"

:barney&sham
"Dammit Sammy, we must have finished second again!"

LongLiveFisk
10-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Wow, I am really surprised they would can Harry's grandson, the way that organization is. And I just went over to the Flubs board to see what the fans are saying about it, and I see NOTHING about it whatsoever.

Bruce Levine...are you SURE about this?

cubhater
10-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Yeah, they're probably going to clone a couple of more Ron Santos.
:santo
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Brian26
10-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Hold on a second...

Let's make sure this is being stated correctly.

Chip Caray's contract expires at the end of this season, which is after today's game. Did Levine say that the Cubs have fired Caray or just have chosen not to renew his contract? Is he fired as of this moment? Will he work today's game?

How ridiculous is it to say someone is fired a couple of hours before the last game of the season? Either the Cubs have really fired him (which means he WON'T work today), or they have chosen not to renew his contract (which really could be a mutual decision).

It's a small point, but I think it's important.

It's like the old wrestling angle that Bobby Heenan pulled with several of the wrestlers he was managing when they would turn good-guy. It's the whole "I Quit!"/"No, you're fired!"

Kogs35
10-03-2004, 12:50 PM
is stone leaves they need a new broadcast booth, when there is no1 avalible except for tim mcarver? yeah he would bash the cubs more than stone did. rick suttcliff? he aint leaving the padres or espn. the cubbies r screwed

Brian26
10-03-2004, 12:56 PM
I'm no fan of the Cubs or Chip Caray, but it's a terrible mistake for them not to renew his contract. He's become part of the fabric of the way that team is sold to it's fanbase. If they think that can be replaced with some generic national guy brought in from the outside or some marble-mouthed local guy with no experience, they have a rude awakening coming for them.

Kogs35
10-03-2004, 01:02 PM
I'm no fan of the Cubs or Chip Caray, but it's a terrible mistake for them not to renew his contract. He's become part of the fabric of the way that team is sold to it's fanbase. If they think that can be replaced with some generic national guy brought in from the outside or some marble-mouthed local guy with no experience, they have a rude awakening coming for them.
brian no 1 wants to broadcast for them after stonegate 2004. no broadcaster wants to be a homer. tats hwy the cubs will have a hard time finding any1.

p.s HAPPY 500TH TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:gulp: :gulp: :bandance: :supernana:

Brian26
10-03-2004, 01:42 PM
brian no 1 wants to broadcast for them after stonegate 2004. no broadcaster wants to be a homer. tats hwy the cubs will have a hard time finding any1.

p.s HAPPY 500TH TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:gulp: :gulp: :bandance: :supernana:
There are a long list of cubbie-marks who would love to get paid to be a homer. You don't think 99% of the media in this town would jump at a chance at a $400k salary, exposure on superstation GN, and the chance to work on your tan all summer while kissing cubbie-blue ass? Good for Stone and Chip for being professionals. They deserve better. Kent Mercker should have been put on waivers that day he phone the tv booth instead of keeping his head in the game and focusing on how to get some guys out.

Brian26
10-03-2004, 01:44 PM
Just to followup my previous post...

You don't think jobbers like Dan Rohn, Giangreco, North, Corey McFarrin, Murph, Grobber...(the list goes on forever), wouldn't jump at the chance to be an announcer? They all suck. They'd all be unprofessional. They'd all be homers for the almighty $. Never overestimate the Chicago media. In reality, they're all just one step away from working weekends on a UHF station in Peoria.

SomebodyToldMe
10-03-2004, 01:49 PM

You don't think jobbers like Dan Rohn, Giangreco, North, Corey McFarrin, Murph, Grobber...(the list goes on forever), wouldn't jump at the chance to be an announcer? They all suck. They'd all be unprofessional. They'd all be homers for the almighty $. Never overestimate the Chicago media. In reality, they're all just one step away from working weekends on a UHF station in Peoria.
:moron
"Helloooooooo. You forgot me!"

Kogs35
10-03-2004, 01:56 PM

because of the games on wgn thats why the cubs will not hire any of those personalities. they need names and crediblity after this years stonegate.

StillMissOzzie
10-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Hold on a second...

Let's make sure this is being stated correctly.

Chip Caray's contract expires at the end of this season, which is after today's game. Did Levine say that the Cubs have fired Caray or just have chosen not to renew his contract? Is he fired as of this moment? Will he work today's game?

How ridiculous is it to say someone is fired a couple of hours before the last game of the season? Either the Cubs have really fired him (which means he WON'T work today), or they have chosen not to renew his contract (which really could be a mutual decision).

It's a small point, but I think it's important.

I agree, there is a BIG difference between a non-renewal and getting fired. He's doing today's game, so I don't think that he was fired. And NO, I don't think the Cubs will have a problem filling that position at all. And, according to the Tribune, he may have an offer to team up with his father Skip in Atlanta. Same superstation exposure with a MUCH better chance to call a winner.

If anything, I feel like Steve Stone may be the odd man out. Right or wrong, Stone has become the touchstone of controversy, and when it's a choice between the $400K TV analyst and the $4 million a year for two more years manager, I think DustBunny has the upper hand here.

While I'm no FOCC, I think that this thread should get nuked.

Edit: Fired? Then he doesn't have to leave Orlando in January to come to Chicago for the Cubs Convention? Horrors!!!
SMO
:gulp:

SOXSINCE'70
10-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Yeah, they're probably going to clone a couple of more Ron Santos.

:santo
OH NO!!!!:D: :D: :D: :D:

C-Dawg
10-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Chimp just said on the post-game that this was his last game for the Cubs.

soxnut
10-03-2004, 04:24 PM
A few years back, I think there was consideration given to John Miller from ESPN. He had just finished his stint with the Orioles at that time, just before he went to the Giants. I just don't know if the Cubs would allow him to still do the ESPN broadcasts if he came to Chicago.

Would it be possible that they would do a simulcast of the radio team of Hughes and Santo on tv??

And, if they do let go of Stone, which I think is very possible, just by the way both Chip and Stever were talking during the game, I would hope that the Sox would pair him up with Hawk for tv broadcasts. DJ is ok, and I really have nothing against him, but I'd prefer Stone or my favorite--Wimpy over DJ, anyday.:smile:

I think they may also consider Ryne Sandberg as a color analyst with that Cookie the Clown guy Josh Lewen.

bigfoot
10-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Have Joey D'Auria and Ronnie Woo-Woo been contacted about the openings?

Tragg
10-03-2004, 04:35 PM
What a pathetic organization... Chimp might not be my cup of tea, but he fits in perfectly with the cheesiness of that outfit. Way to go Andy Mc FAIL!
Next think you know, they'll trade Sosa and I won't have anything to hate about them anymore.

I agree that Chimp is a good fit with them.

Kogs35
10-03-2004, 04:38 PM
A few years back, I think there was consideration given to John Miller from ESPN. He had just finished his stint with the Orioles at that time, just before he went to the Giants. I just don't know if the Cubs would allow him to still do the ESPN broadcasts if he came to Chicago.

Would it be possible that they would do a simulcast of the radio team of Hughes and Santo on tv??

And, if they do let go of Stone, which I think is very possible, just by the way both Chip and Stever were talking during the game, I would hope that the Sox would pair him up with Hawk for tv broadcasts. DJ is ok, and I really have nothing against him, but I'd prefer Stone or my favorite--Wimpy over DJ, anyday.:smile:

I think they may also consider Ryne Sandberg as a color analyst with that Cookie the Clown guy Josh Lewen.ok josh lewin works for the rangers and fox and he aint going no where. john miller isnt leaving espn or knbr and the giants. rick suttcliff will not leave the padres and espn because he will not be a homer color guy. its that simple. brenamen will not leave zona. whois left guys that will be homers with no crediblity? the cubs r screwed. also the cubs will not allow there anoucers work fox or espn games ala lewin brenamen, mcarver,suttcliff and ect... its that simple. they will hire some guy who they want to be a homer and there broadcasts will have no crediblity

Tragg
10-03-2004, 04:44 PM
ok josh lewin works for the rangers and fox and he aint going no where. john miller isnt leaving espn or knbr and the giants. rick suttcliff will not leave the padres and espn because he will not be a homer color guy. its that simple. brenamen will not leave zona. whois left guys that will be homers with no crediblity? the cubs r screwed. also the cubs will not allow there anoucers work fox or espn games ala lewin brenamen, mcarver,suttcliff and ect... its that simple. they will hire some guy who they want to be a homer and there broadcasts will have no crediblityDidn't Carey work Fox games?

Josh Lewin is an excellent announcer who is going nowhere.

Carey would fit will in Atlanta- the sorriest bunch of announcers ever; does anyone put you more to sleep than Joe Simpson? How does he have a job?

soxnut
10-03-2004, 04:46 PM
ok josh lewin works for the rangers and fox and he aint going no where. john miller isnt leaving espn or knbr and the giants. rick suttcliff will not leave the padres and espn because he will not be a homer color guy. its that simple. brenamen will not leave zona. whois left guys that will be homers with no crediblity? the cubs r screwed. also the cubs will not allow there anoucers work fox or espn games ala lewin brenamen, mcarver,suttcliff and ect... its that simple. they will hire some guy who they want to be a homer and there broadcasts will have no crediblity
Ok,thanks for correcting us master....

dickallen15
10-03-2004, 04:46 PM
How about trading DJ for Stone? DJ came up with the Cubs, and can easily be programmed into saying whatever the Tribune Company would like him to say. I think Stone will stay with the Cubs. I would be very surprised if they didn't pick up a big name to replace Chip. Its one of the most coveted play by play positions in the world.

Lip Man 1
10-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Stone on the 10th inning wished Caray well and said "I know you'll be going on to bigger and better things..."

ZING!

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
10-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Stone on the 10th inning wished Caray well and said "I know you'll be going on to bigger and better things..."

ZING!

Lip
Well that's it. Any lingering doubt about Stone's status for 2005 at the Cubune has been wiped away.

:hawk
"He Gone!"

misty60481
10-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Maybe they could bring back Lee Elia in the booth---would be interesting---

havelj
10-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Dan Rohn will get the job I am guessing. Question is - will he shave his head and give up on fighting the baldness already?!

:dumbash

daveeym
10-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Well that's it. Any lingering doubt about Stone's status for 2005 at the Cubune has been wiped away.

:hawk
"He Gone!" Wow this is just an amazing turn of events this year. Starting with the prior watch, going into wrigleygate over the shooting, stoney pissing off players, a caray being canned, lovable losers turning into pathetic bitches, dusty being revealed for the stroke he is - the time is now JR the time is NOW. A sellout season and 3 mill plus in attendance and if the sox can make a run next year it's all for naught, just watch the tables turn in this city in 2005. Oops my bad JR's still the owner.

Brian26
10-03-2004, 06:20 PM

ZING!

Lip
Did you hear the even better line?

Stone: "And who knows, we might be partners again in the future....maybe sooner than later."

Lip Man 1
10-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Brian I didn't hear that...wow!

As to your comments about (you listed names) announcers being homers. As someone who has done this (granted at a much lower profile just for college games) I can tell you that when you are paid by the club, when the club has final approval on the announcers, intregrity is already out the window.

These guys have families and they are not going to take a moral stand and lose a big paycheck, that's insane to think otherwise.

If it was like in the old days when clubs had NO SAY on announcers or what they say, when they were hired and paid for by the station, then that is a different matter but that time is long gone.

It's a difficult job walking the fine line between telling it like is and being for the home team. Most of these guys do an outstanding job walking it. I don't think that I could, which is why I wouldn't last long.

I just think you are being too harsh on them. Like I said they aren't going to blow a great job and a great salary for 'truth.' The real world doesn't work that way.

Lip

LongLiveFisk
10-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Dan Rohn will get the job I am guessing. Question is - will he shave his head and give up on fighting the baldness already?!

:dumbash

I am predicting Roan and Otto, unless they can somehow persuade Brennaman to come back.

Roan + Otto = Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Kogs35
10-03-2004, 07:25 PM
I am predicting Roan and Otto, unless they can somehow persuade Brennaman to come back.

Roan + Otto = Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
your exactly right it will be roan and otto or dave kaplan and otto. 2 homers that will kiss the cubs tushy all the way to oakbrook. no brenamen loves arizona and will not be leaving cause the flubbers would make him give up his fox gig as well

LuvSox
10-03-2004, 07:35 PM
your exactly right it will be roan and otto or dave kaplan and otto. 2 homers that will kiss the cubs tushy all the way to oakbrook. no brenamen loves arizona and will not be leaving cause the flubbers would make him give up his fox gig as wellhttp://www.grammarbook.com (http://www.grammarbook.com)

Kogs35
10-03-2004, 07:44 PM
http://www.grammarbook.com (http://www.grammarbook.com/)
sue me :)

LuvSox
10-03-2004, 08:04 PM
sue me :)
Hey, are you available to be a Cubs announcer? :D:

robertks61
10-03-2004, 08:16 PM
I wish Chip & if Stoney leaves the best. I wasn't a big Chip fan but once again if you're not a favorite in the Cub organization they'll dump on you!

Kogs35
10-03-2004, 08:19 PM
Hey, are you available to be a Cubs announcer? :D:
unfortunatly i wont be able to. i would kick there tushy's so bad i would make testy :whiner: and darren would have to manage.:smile: i hear pat summeral will be a free agent in 2 weeks

Viva Magglio
10-03-2004, 08:33 PM
During the Score's Bears pregame show, George Ofman broke in and reported Chip Caray's departure. This was about 11:35 a.m. Ofman said Caray was tendered offers by the Cubs and Braves, and Chip chose the latter. George also said that a source told him that Steve Stone, should he leave the Cubs, will not go to the White Sox.

I would believe one reason Stone would/could not go to the Sox is Ken Harrelson. Do you think Harrelson would want to share the booth with someone who has deeper baseball insights?

Kogs35
10-03-2004, 08:41 PM
During the Score's Bears pregame show, George Ofman broke in and reported Chip Caray's departure. This was about 11:35 a.m. Ofman said Caray was tendered offers by the Cubs and Braves, and Chip chose the latter. George also said that a source told him that Steve Stone, should he leave the Cubs, will not go to the White Sox.

I would believe one reason Stone would/could not go to the Sox is Ken Harrelson. Do you think Harrelson would want to share the booth with someone who has deeper baseball insights?i think its more on how he calls the game if stone doesnt come to the sox. i dont think hawk would give up u can put on the board yes if stone doesnt join him in it and all. and i dont know how the chemistry would work although he was at the cell on the cubs last off day visiting uncle jerry and hawk so i dunno why th sox wouldnt pick him up and goto a 3 man booth if he is a fa unless and since he lives in arizona and the dback might make grace the manager of the dbacks and he will take over for grace with brenanmen?

Jeremy
10-03-2004, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Pat Foley from the Blackhawks is the new Cubs play-by-play. I know he used to fill in on occasions and that his hero was Harry Caray. Also since there will be no Hockey this season he could broadcast from April til the end of the season.

MRKARNO
10-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Pat Hughes might be promoted from radio.

Kogs35
10-03-2004, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Pat Foley from the Blackhawks is the new Cubs play-by-play. I know he used to fill in on occasions and that his hero was Harry Caray. Also since there will be no Hockey this season he could broadcast from April til the end of the season.will billy gardner will be doing color commentary

Unregistered
10-03-2004, 10:07 PM
Apparently it's official: Chip will be working in Atlanta with his dad next year.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-041003cubschip,1,5204066.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip Man 1
10-03-2004, 10:14 PM
On WGN-TV's 'Instant Replay' show they actually led with the Cub announcers flap. Stone was interviewed apparently after the game and when asked if he'd be back next season said that he thought he would but that the option is held on his services by his employers.

I was struck by the fact that he used the word, 'employers,' not 'the Cubs.' Almost like 'the Cubs' left a bad taste in his mouth.

To bad there isn't an e-mail address in the Sox organization that we could send comments to saying to grab Stone and bounce that doofus Jackson.

Lip

ewokpelts
10-03-2004, 10:31 PM
What a pathetic organization... Chimp might not be my cup of tea, but he fits in perfectly with the cheesiness of that outfit. Way to go Andy Mc FAIL!great sig!

ewokpelts
10-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Omigod. They'll go the entire season without either of them ever uttering a sentence with a beginning, a middle, and an end.

*****! They'll be perfect for Lovable Loserville!

:bandance:

:lynch&mcfail
"Having anyone with a functioning brain stem working on our broadcast team was a major shortcoming in 2004. Fortunately we have two ex-Cubs to solve this problem! Flubs fans, please welcome Dave Otto and Rick Sutcliffe!"

:barney&sham
"Dammit Sammy, we must have finished second again!":barney&sham
No Barney...we're in third....
Gene

santo=dorf
10-03-2004, 10:37 PM
What about Wayne Larivee? (sp?)

I remember he used to do quite a few Cubs games before Harry died.

Whitesox029
10-03-2004, 10:41 PM
As heard on ESPN Radio 1000, Bruce Levine reports the Flubs have fired Chimp Caray. So........he's the one to blame for their season.Of course he's the one to blame! When did you ever see him moving a runner over? :rolleyes:
:chimp
"It's not my fault people dislike me!"

historian
10-03-2004, 10:48 PM
As heard on ESPN Radio 1000, Bruce Levine reports the Flubs have fired Chimp Caray. So........he's the one to blame for their season.
If The Red Sox win Nomar is The Cures.

Kogs35
10-03-2004, 11:20 PM
On WGN-TV's 'Instant Replay' show they actually led with the Cub announcers flap. Stone was interviewed apparently after the game and when asked if he'd be back next season said that he thought he would but that the option is held on his services by his employers.

I was struck by the fact that he used the word, 'employers,' not 'the Cubs.' Almost like 'the Cubs' left a bad taste in his mouth.

To bad there isn't an e-mail address in the Sox organization that we could send comments to saying to grab Stone and bounce that doofus Jackson.

Lip
maybe brooks? i know he does marketing but hey u can market stoney for the sox, and his knowledge of the game

dcb33
10-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Apparently it's official: Chip will be working in Atlanta with his dad next year.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-041003cubschip,1,5204066.story?coll=cs-home-headlinesAtlanta must be trying to bring down its organization from within...

DrCrawdad
10-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Back 'round midseason the Cubune had not resigned Chip and it made a little splash in the media. That was the indication to me that even though the Cubune and Chip made statements about continuing negiotations that he was leaving. (For a change I was right on a prediction I made 'round end of June when I posted in a Cub discussion group that I thought Chip would be leaving). If the Cubune had truly wanted Chip to stay they would have signed him, end of discussion. I'd bet that back midseason or earlier Chip saw the handwriting on the wall and decided to move in another direction since the Cubune didn't want him back at all.

I'd be completely shocked if Chip fired away at the Cubune now that he's free. No doubt Chip will take the highroad, a road his grandpa didn't take after he left the Sox with Harry's veiled anti-Semetic remark.

StillMissOzzie
10-04-2004, 12:02 AM
If The Red Sox win Nomar is The Cures.
No, Robert Smith is The Cures (actually, The Cure, but ...)

SMO
:D:

TommyJohn
10-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Back 'round midseason the Cubune had not resigned Chip and it made a little splash in the media. That was the indication to me that even though the Cubune and Chip made statements about continuing negiotations that he was leaving. (For a change I was right on a prediction I made 'round end of June when I posted in a Cub discussion group that I thought Chip would be leaving). If the Cubune had truly wanted Chip to stay they would have signed him, end of discussion. I'd bet that back midseason or earlier Chip saw the handwriting on the wall and decided to move in another direction since the Cubune didn't want him back at all.

I'd be completely shocked if Chip fired away at the Cubune now that he's free. No doubt Chip will take the highroad, a road his grandpa didn't take after he left the Sox with Harry's veiled anti-Semetic remark.
Veiled anti-Semetic remark? What was that? I don't remember. I thought Harry loved everybody. Holy Phlegm!!

DrCrawdad
10-04-2004, 06:06 AM
Veiled anti-Semetic remark? What was that? I don't remember. I thought Harry loved everybody. Holy Phlegm!!

When Harry left the Sox he said, "You can't trust (it was either 'those people or those guys.)" I recognize that many people wouldn't see that as anti-Semetic but it's just my opinion that undercurrent in his remark was that, 'You can't trust those Jews...'

If some think that is out of character for Harry remember that Harry got himself into trouble for a comment about a Japanese player and IIRC he also made a somewhat insensitive remark about Jorge Orta too.

TDog
10-04-2004, 10:55 AM
... he also made a somewhat insensitive remark about Jorge Orta too.

I thought it was Luis Alvarado who was the target of an insensitive remark after he lost a pop up in the sun (because those people come from a place with nothing but sun). I wouldn't doubt Harry Caray made insensitive remarks about Jorge Orta as well. Harry Caray wasn't about sensitivity and until he signed up with the Cubs for the big money, he wasn't cute and cuddly.

Lip Man 1
10-04-2004, 12:20 PM
In his biography Caray directly calls both Einhorn and Reinsdorf 'a******s,' and also states they knew nothing about baseball when the got the club. (A feeling echoed by Carlton Fisk on the documentary 'The Trouble With Baseball' which aired in April 1993. I have a copy of the show.)

In the book Caray says that he was asked by Sox fans all the time why he left the club. His answer was that he 'loved the Sox, loved Sox fans and loved Comiskey Park,' but that he 'couldn't stand the owners.'

I don't think Caray gave a damn about the owners ethnic background one bit.

Lip

Kogs35
10-04-2004, 01:05 PM
stone will be on dan patrick show this hour

LuvSox
10-04-2004, 01:36 PM
Another scary thought: former Cub Rick Monday. He does radio with the Dodgers, right? I've heard he's murder on the mike.

Fungo
10-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Mark Grace?

TDog
10-04-2004, 10:45 PM
In his biography Caray directly calls both Einhorn and Reinsdorf 'a******s,' ... I don't think Caray gave a damn about the owners ethnic background one bit.

Lip
Of course, Harry Caray didn't write his own autobiography.

It is entirely possible that his hatred for Einhorn and Reinsdorf had nothing to do with their ethnicity. It also is possible that he could have used ethnic slurs in referring to people he had legitimate reasons to dislike. Up close and personal, he was a crude, drunken man who got a big pay raise and changed his style when he went to the Cubs.

cubhater
10-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Mark Grace?
Never happen. Didn't he make a comment in his first spring training with the Diamondbacks that he 'didn't have to lie about our chances for the upcoming season anymore'?:cool:

JoseCanseco6969
10-04-2004, 11:55 PM
What about Wayne Larivee? (sp?)

I remember he used to do quite a few Cubs games before Harry died.
perfect! that damn Bears to Packers turncoat ******* would be perfect for the north side. It'll make it easier to hate the Cubs and Packers combined since theyll have the same announcers

Fenway
10-06-2004, 09:19 AM

Looking at the Atlanta paper Chip doesn't seem to mind

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/sports/braves/1004/03carays.html

"As a father and a broadcaster, I'm just thrilled to death," said Skip Caray, 65. "They made him an offer [in Chicago], but our guys made him a much better offer, and they [WGN] decided not to match. So it was an easy decision.

"I have a little trouble understanding why they decided not to match, because they had the best ratings they've ever had this year. But I'm glad they didn't."

Chip Caray and his wife, Susan, live in Orlando with their three children.

and talk about being overpaid

Sutton earns about $900,000, making him one of baseball's highest-paid analysts.

Fenway
10-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Harry was just appalled at the entire concept of SportsVision.

You have to remember the City of Chicago was not wired in 1982 and SportsVision was delivered over the air via ONTV.

I was living in Chicago at the time and subscribed simply because I wanted to see AL baseball and when the installer came to my apartment I asked how many others had subscribed on the North Side.....he replied I have had 2 others

In his biography Caray directly calls both Einhorn and Reinsdorf 'a******s,' and also states they knew nothing about baseball when the got the club. (A feeling echoed by Carlton Fisk on the documentary 'The Trouble With Baseball' which aired in April 1993. I have a copy of the show.)

In the book Caray says that he was asked by Sox fans all the time why he left the club. His answer was that he 'loved the Sox, loved Sox fans and loved Comiskey Park,' but that he 'couldn't stand the owners.'

I don't think Caray gave a damn about the owners ethnic background one bit.

Lip

Lip Man 1
10-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Fenway:

And you recall the article I did on Sportsvision for the web site quoting the participants directly on this from Bob Logan's book.

Lip

TornLabrum
10-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Harry was just appalled at the entire concept of SportsVision.

You have to remember the City of Chicago was not wired in 1982 and SportsVision was delivered over the air via ONTV.

I was living in Chicago at the time and subscribed simply because I wanted to see AL baseball and when the installer came to my apartment I asked how many others had subscribed on the North Side.....he replied I have had 2 others
Minor correction: SportsVision was delivered via OnTV starting in its second year. Originally you had to buy a separate convertor. I don't remember which channel it started on, but it was something like 60 or 66.

StepsInSC
10-06-2004, 09:25 PM
I always liked the Braves' announcers...not sure why they would want to add this tool. Jeez.