PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 2005 Optimism Thread

AddisonStSox
10-03-2004, 10:28 AM
Disclaimer: Attention all Pessimists, Reed-Boosters, and Front Office Bashers, please put your negativity aside for this thread. Lets try to find some positives for 2005.

First and foremost...

Aaron Rowand-Something clicked this year. I have little doubt that he will not be able to produce like he did this year. Although he may not be the stereotypical lead-off man, I think he's PERFECT in the 2 hole. With an average over .300, good speed on the base-paths, and the ability to hit the long ball, he will make this team better in 05'.

CLee-What can be said for Carlos that has already not been demonstrated on the field? He IS the most consistent contributer, year in and year out, to the Sox. He has even developed into an above-average outfielder...let's hope he isn't traded.

Juan Uribe-Potential...plain and simple. He wowed us during the first couple months of the season and although he came back down to earth with a thud, he will be starting somewhere in our IF next year, and for that, we will be improved.

Gload-AL Rookie of the Month, maybe, but...still scares me.

Shingo-Gong show. He has been getting hit harder and harder as the year progressed, but I think he has shown us enough to earn back a set-up,or unfortunately, a closer spot again in 05'.

Big Freddy-Love this guy. Solid # 2 and we have him locked up till 06', that makes me very happy.

Alright boys, have at it...

ondafarm
10-04-2004, 01:10 PM
I think the Sox have a good line-up for next year and will finally be able to do the small ball game. This alone should result in more wins.

SP: Buehrle and Garcia solid, Contreras and Garland good, consistency will come. #5 spot: probably Grilli, other contenders, wait for ST.

Relief: troublesome but not devastating. Cotts and Marte (L) Politte and ?(R)
Takatsu as stopper.

Catcher: Davis and Burke are adequate

IF: Gload, Harris/Uribe, Valdez/Uribe Crede/Uribe better OBP than this year and (much) more consistent defense

OF: Ordonez(?) Rowand, Borchard(?), Everett, Lee (trade in there somewhere?)

DH: Thomas

I like this lineup a lot more than this year's.

AddisonStSox
10-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Hopefully the small ball game can work at the Cell.

If Konerko is traded, I think that fifth starter spot will be filled. I would hate seeing Grilli sent out every fifth day.

That IF looks better than I anticipated.

PatK
10-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Looking back, although this season was disappointing, I look at my pre-season predictions, and the Sox did better than I thought.

Offensively, the main thing they need is a real #1 leadoff hitter.

Defensively, a right fielder and a new middle infield.

I'm torn wether or not to give Crede another chance.

Pitching wise, 1 or 2 more starters and another set-up man or closer. I wouln't mind seeing Shingo stay as a closer, just as long as they have an overpowering set-up man (something like Kyle Farnsworth can be or Howry was).

AddisonStSox
10-04-2004, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=PatK]I'm torn wether or not to give Crede another chance.

QUOTE]

Me too. Looks like we're stuck though, because I just can't see KW moving him.

faneidde
10-04-2004, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=PatK]I'm torn wether or not to give Crede another chance.

QUOTE]

Me too. Looks like we're stuck though, because I just can't see KW moving him. And the positive tone of this thread lasted all of 4 posts. :angry:

Tekijawa
10-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Positives, no particular order

Aaron Rowand
Buehrle/Garcia
Still have the best jersies in baseball
short lines at the park again next year for Nacho's
Opening day is actually opening day
Shingo
Frank Thomas will be back
I don't have to listen about how great the cubs were in the post season going into next year.
Iraq will have had elections by then, so the world will be safer.

Ol' No. 2
10-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Maybe I've been sipping too much Kool-Aide, but I think Willie Harris showed me a lot this year. He added 60 pts to his BA and 80 pts to his OBP over last year. No question, he still has a way to go, and he needs to be more consistent, but this isn't atypical for a young player still developing. He needs to add another 30 pts to his OBP and figure out how to utilize his speed. He has a lot to learn, but you can't teach the slow guy to be fast. Plus, he has great range, and is solid defensively.

Breakout year for Willie Harris in 2005 - You heard it here first!

AddisonStSox
10-04-2004, 04:51 PM
And the positive tone of this thread lasted all of 4 posts. :angry:
lol lol :D: well done, ok, ok I'm trying here.

hold2dibber
10-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Me too. Looks like we're stuck though, because I just can't see KW moving him.
Trading Crede now doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because (1) the Sox don't have a MLB-ready 3B waiting in the wings (unless you count Uribe, but he's much more valuable at SS); and (2) Crede's trade value is slim to none right now - as a general rule, you don't want to sell low. I don't have a lot of optimism about Crede next year, but it still wouldn't surprise me if he had a .275/.330/.475 year with 25 HR and 80 RBI next year. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if he had a .225/.295/.400 year with 20 HR and 60 RBI.

Jjav829
10-04-2004, 05:51 PM
Trading Crede now doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because (1) the Sox don't have a MLB-ready 3B waiting in the wings (unless you count Uribe, but he's much more valuable at SS); and (2) Crede's trade value is slim to none right now - as a general rule, you don't want to sell low. I don't have a lot of optimism about Crede next year, but it still wouldn't surprise me if he had a .275/.330/.475 year with 25 HR and 80 RBI next year. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if he had a .225/.295/.400 year with 20 HR and 60 RBI.
I'd agree with that. I'm willing to give Crede a shot next year if we can fill some of the other holes on this team. I still think he has some trade value because of his former status as a top prospect. Some GM will always think that they know how to turn him around so there will be interest. But in terms of what we'd receive in return, it's probably not worth trading him unless it's a package deal.

Lip Man 1
10-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Was this thread started BEFORE the news on Thomas? Just wondering...

Lip

PavanoBeltran'05
10-04-2004, 06:35 PM
I am agreeing with the Harris comments. He's steadily improving, and we can back that by his numbers. He has thrown some LEATHER this year as well. Maybe with a first base coach that can encourage and teach guys to steal, we'll have something big out of him. No problem with a Willie and Juan DP combo.

Crede? Hopefully he spends every waking hour in that cage he's making in his back yard. He's got the glove, and hopefully those last couple of weeks he had this year can carry over. He IS clutch for the most part. If Walker isn't smoking the thai and he really thinks Joe can turn his life around, then let's give him another shot. Short leash, though. It seemed to pan out for Aaron!

munchman33
10-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Was this thread started BEFORE the news on Thomas? Just wondering...

Lip
No kidding. I'm more optimistic than most (a lot more), but that news is incredibly discouraging.

minastirith67
10-04-2004, 10:40 PM
No kidding. I'm more optimistic than most (a lot more), but that news is incredibly discouraging.

Indeed. The following icons are not meant to be taken sarcastically:

:whiner: :whiner: :(: :(:

I even share a birthday with the big guy!

SoxxoS
10-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Konerko isn't going to be expendable if Thomas is out. We need some kind of proven force in the middle of that lineup.

It looks like our most tradable commodity is CLee. And he isn't even the problem.

munchman33
10-05-2004, 11:23 AM
If Frank's status is in question, I can't see Kenny trading Paulie or CLee.

Ol' No. 2
10-05-2004, 05:51 PM
Back to optimism. (Remember???)

Jerry Reinsdorf will look at the 2004 mid-year attendance figures (up 16% over last year) and say to Kenny, "If you build it, they really will come. Here's another $10M."

Pass the Kool-Aide.

shagar69
10-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Back to optimism. (Remember???)

Jerry Reinsdorf will look at the 2004 mid-year attendance figures (up 16% over last year) and say to Kenny, "If you build it, they really will come. Here's another $10M."

Pass the Kool-Aide.
kool aid? i think that we must be passing something else around if you think JR will give KW 10 mil more :)

balke
10-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Everything good's been pretty much touched upon.

I think Ozzie learns from mistakes going into next season.

Rowand was a great surprise, looks to hopefully stay a +.300 hitter going into next season.

Clee could be the future face of the team if he stays. He's gotten better every season.

Pk obviously did well, and now has a place here again with a possible Frank surgery/injury.

Freddy Garcia is on the team, I expect 18 wins next season, if this team can score runs.

Contreres will either be Cy Young of the team or flop. I have a strong belief we see nothing but good things out of him next season.

Buerhle is always great, and Garland is a coinflip next season. I truly think next season is his season, not expecting much out of him this season. I know a lot of people ddisagree, but next season I think he improves his record be a couple wins at least.

I think Diaz is a lot better next season, as I do willie, and somewhat crede.

HomeFish
10-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Well, Koch isn't on the team.

Baby Fisk
10-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Well, Koch isn't on the team.um...neither is Mike Jackson (really grasping here).

Seriously tho, I won't analyse my level of optimism before seeing the moves Kenny makes over the winter and what impact they have on the team's fortunes. Personally tho, this is his last chance before I turn on him. You've got 12 months, KW!

infohawk
10-06-2004, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't spend too much time formulating lineups for 2005. I think there will be one or two major trades (Konerko, Lee or Thomas) one to three minor trades and anywhere from one to three free agent pick-ups. One of the free agent pick-ups will be somewhat significant while any others will be smaller in comparison. I am pretty confident that KW will acquire one more starting pitchers via trade or free agency. Garland and Grilli would most likely be relegated to compete for the #5 spot in the rotation. Who will be traded away will probably have more to do with what is available in return than any effort to trade one particular player over another.

Below are the only players whom I don't believe would be traded. Keep in mind that just because a player didn't make my list doesn't mean I think they will be traded or are on the block. I don't think both Lee and Konerko would be traded. I also don't think KW would go out of his way to trade Thomas unless he is offered a significant return. KW would certainly entertain offers. If Thomas were traded, however, I think Everett would definitely be kept to DH.

Pitchers
Buerhle
Garcia
Contreras
Marte
Takatsu - Most of us agree he will set-up or close.
Politte - Recently signed extension indicates club wants him to stay. I don't think he will be the primary right-handed set-up man. In a good bullpen he would fill the "Mike Jackson" role (albeit more effectively).
Cotts - Decent lefty relievers can be tough to come by.

Position Players
Rowand - Good player who is still cheap.
Uribe - Too versatile to trade. Very intriguing upside.
Crede - The organization will give him more time. Could be traded during 2005 season if hitting doesn't come around.
Borchard - KW not ready to give up on him....at least for now.
Gload - Wouldn't bring value in return. Seems to have some potential and Ozzie likes him.
Harris - Some upside, but wouldn't bring value in return. Could be demoted to minors or bench if 2nd baseman acquired.
Valdez - Ozzie likes him. Showed he might be a useful component.