PDA

View Full Version : Astros going with Rocket

Jjav829
10-03-2004, 10:26 AM
With the chance to claim the NL Wild Card with a win today, the Astros are turning to Roger Clemens on 3 days rest to help them win. I don't like this move at all. Garner says he just wants 3 or 4 innings from Clemens, and then he'll use anyone and everyone else including Oswalt (who pitched last night) to try to finish the game. First off, this brings about the question as to why he allowed Oswalt to go 7 innings last night if he was thinking about using him today as well. Granted Oswalt only through 90 pitches through 7 innings, but by the end of the 5th inning the Astros were up 7-1. With Lidge in the back of the pen and being able to go 2 innings if needed, it would seem like the better move to pull Oswalt after 5 and trust your pen to get you at least 2 innings before you can go to Lidge if needed. The scheduled starter for today was Carlos Hernandez. But Garner can also start Brandon Backe on normal rest, and he'd probably be the best option here. I understand that Garner wants to go with his best pitcher if possible, but pitchers on 3 days rest usually struggle.

I know you can't start to set up your playoff rotation until you are in the playoffs. But at the same time I think Garner has to be careful here. If they don't win today, then Backe or Hernandez will have to start in the playoff game tomorrow. For that matter, even if they do win today, Backe or Hernandez will be starting Game 1 against the Braves. With Clemens pitching today, he's probably not going to be able to pitch until Game 3 on the NLDS. I just think that Garner would be better off going with Backe today and hoping that he can keep them in the game, then let the offense take over. That way if they win, they have Clemens for Game 1 in Atlanta. If they lose, Clemens can go on normal rest in the one game playoff tomorrow, against Lowry.

AddisonStSox
10-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Wow, suprising move. I don't really care for it much either, but hopefully Clemens can put it away early and they can start preparing for the playoffs, this is a team I want to succeed. No one can deny what they did in the second half.

SOXSINCE'70
10-03-2004, 11:00 AM
Sounds like a Jim Frey move to me.Remember how he couldn't start Sutcliffe in game 4 of the '84 NLCS because he wanted him fresh for game 1 of the '84
WS against the Tigers (Sutcliffe had a good record against them in Cleveland)??

Moral: Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

nitetrain8601
10-03-2004, 11:42 AM
I don't mind it. I know the reasoning behind it. Roger gives them the best chance to win. And don't they play on Wednesday if they win? If that's the case you could throw Oswalt out for Game 1 and Clemens for Game 2. Remember Roger's had postseason experience so he's used to this at this time of the year.

Jjav829
10-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Well this discussion becomes a moot point now. Clemens has a stomach virus so Brandon Backe will start today. Clemens might be able to go tomorrow if the Astros lose today.

Erik The Red
10-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Beat me to it, just read that on espn.com

HomeFish
10-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Somebody named "B. Backe" started the game for the men from Houston. And he has both Astro RBIs. He also just retired Royce Clayton to end a 3rd inning jam.

MRKARNO
10-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Somebody named "B. Backe" started the game for the men from Houston. And he has both Astro RBIs. He also just retired Royce Clayton to end a 3rd inning jam.
Backe has been an important part of the Astros rotation the past 2 months. He's not the nobody you make him out to be