PDA

View Full Version : It all comes down to this last one

humansushi
10-02-2004, 10:50 PM
Before the season began, the Total wins Over/Under was set at 82. I hammered this play(over of course) excited for a good run. Well we all know the stories about this year, but just need this one win tomorrow for a little satisfaction from a long disappointing season. Damn I'll be nervous for this one, it's like a dime wager on 1 game!

CHISOXFAN13
10-02-2004, 11:27 PM
Before the season began, the Total wins Over/Under was set at 82. I hammered this play(over of course) excited for a good run. Well we all know the stories about this year, but just need this one win tomorrow for a little satisfaction from a long disappointing season. Damn I'll be nervous for this one, it's like a dime wager on 1 game!
You and me both, my friend.

Soxzilla
10-03-2004, 09:52 AM
What is there to be nervous about? Its Contreras vs. Greinke.

34 Inch Stick
10-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Funny how the bookmakers seem to get the number right every time.

Jurr
10-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Funny how the bookmakers seem to get the number right every time.That's so true. It makes me sick. You always seem to need something to happen in the clutch to get where you need to be in the betting world.
And, for me, it happens about 50% of the time. The only benefit I seem to get out of gambling is the increased interest the bet makes in the game.

TDog
10-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Funny how the bookmakers seem to get the number right every time.
Really? What was the over-under on the Cubs or the Cards? Bookmakers set their numbers to attract bets in a way that will maximize profit. The numbers are adjusted as money comes in. It could be that people who would put money on the Six (longtime Six fans should know better) are more realistic than people who would bet on other teams.

Randar68
10-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Before the season began, the Total wins Over/Under was set at 82. I hammered this play(over of course) excited for a good run. Well we all know the stories about this year, but just need this one win tomorrow for a little satisfaction from a long disappointing season. Damn I'll be nervous for this one, it's like a dime wager on 1 game!Since you were able to predict the Sox' clear-cut best 2 players would go down and play 126 combined games this season, what are next week's Lotto numbers?

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Since you were able to predict the Sox' clear-cut best 2 players would go down and play 126 combined games this season, what are next week's Lotto numbers?I'm confused where you got this. He bet the over; he expected the Sox to easily win more than 82. Where did he say he based that on expecting Frank and Maggs to go down?

34 Inch Stick
10-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Really? What was the over-under on the Cubs or the Cards? Bookmakers set their numbers to attract bets in a way that will maximize profit. The numbers are adjusted as money comes in. It could be that people who would put money on the Six (longtime Six fans should know better) are more realistic than people who would bet on other teams.
On individual games what they are really trying to achieve with the line is an equal amount of bets on either side. That way they know what the profit is before a particular game begins (the 10% vigorish). That way they maximize profits but just as importantly minimize risk. The same goes with over under betting.

I have no idea how they attempt to maximize profits on "money line" type bets.

Instead of asking about two of the teams that were widely divergent, why don't you ask about the outcomes for the entire league.

But don't ask me because gambling on sporting events is illegal. :bandance:

Randar68
10-04-2004, 02:07 PM
I'm confused where you got this. He bet the over; he expected the Sox to easily win more than 82. Where did he say he based that on expecting Frank and Maggs to go down?
HAHA. Whoops. I have no idea how I misread it that badly! Posted before I finished my Monday Morning Cup o' Joe...