PDA

View Full Version : THANK YOU Rally Monkeys!!

FarWestChicago
10-02-2004, 06:14 PM
For the silence of the FOBB's.

Oh hell, who am I kidding? They won't shut up even though their Messiah failed. But they should be wearing:

:anon:

Jjav829
10-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Fire Billy Beane! He can't even get his team into the playoffs with Hudson, Mulder, Zito, Harden, and Redman. :D:

Congrats to the Angels! It'll be fun to see Vlad play in some big games.

FarWestChicago
10-02-2004, 06:17 PM
It'll be fun to see Vlad play in some big games.Oh yeah. He crushed a Bong Ball today, even when it looked like Zito :smokin: abstained before the game. :D:

ChiSoxRowand
10-02-2004, 06:18 PM
This sucks for me. I was gonna root for the A's to go all the way if they got in. I don't want to see a team from LA get in. I don't mind the Angels players but I hate the fans.

SomebodyToldMe
10-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Dammit. I wanted the A's to win. Ugh.

RKMeibalane
10-02-2004, 06:37 PM
The only question now is what the match-ups will be. New York has homefield as long as they are in the playoffs. Boston, of course, won the Wild Card, and so they will open their series on the road, either in Minnesota or Anaheim. All I know is that I don't want to see the Yankees in the World Series. Beyond that, I don't really care who ends up making it there.

santo=dorf
10-02-2004, 07:03 PM
once again

$$$>moneyball.

shagar69
10-02-2004, 07:21 PM
yeah, beane should be fired! he's only made the playoffs 4 outta the last 5 years. our guy does a MUCH better job

FarWestChicago
10-02-2004, 07:43 PM
yeah, beane should be fired! he's only made the playoffs 4 outta the last 5 years. our guy does a MUCH better jobYou lost FOBB. I recommend. :anon:

shagar69
10-02-2004, 07:59 PM
You lost FOBB. I recommend. :anon: lost what? just because i think that beane is a good GM doesnt mean that i care if his team makes the playoffs or not. he is still a good drafter in my mind

Baby Fisk
10-02-2004, 08:35 PM
CHOAKLAND!!! :yup: :yup: :yup:

It's time for the FOBB to accept the reality that their Messiah is cursed.

:fobbgod:
"I'm not cursed. I'm a genius!"

:KW
"****, bitch. You've won as many World Series as I have."

Daver
10-02-2004, 08:40 PM
lost what? just because i think that beane is a good GM doesnt mean that i care if his team makes the playoffs or not. he is still a good drafter in my mind
Let me know when he manages to sign all twenty of his first twenty picks.

Aidan
10-02-2004, 08:45 PM
:worship::fobbgod::yup:

"Yes, all you FOBB... worship me... love me..."

shagar69
10-02-2004, 08:51 PM
:worship::fobbgod::yup:

"Yes, all you FOBB... worship me... love me..."
wow, you guys are really taking this overboard. all i said was that beane is a good GM, not the greatest GM in the history of sports or anything like that!

jeremyb1
10-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Haha. If Beane and the A's (and their 90 wins) are failures what does that make our club and GM?

MarkEdward
10-02-2004, 09:11 PM
For the silence of the FOBB's.

Oh hell, who am I kidding? They won't shut up even though their Messiah failed. But they should be wearing:

:anon:
Just conveniently ignore the fact that Paul Depodesta and the Dodgers won the NL West today... :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-02-2004, 09:12 PM
wow, you guys are really taking this overboard. all i said was that beane is a good GM, not the greatest GM in the history of sports or anything like that!
Here, let me lend you a hand, shager69. You're new here so you don't know the whole story.

WSI has a small but very vocal minority of posters who finally made the supreme sacrifice and read a whole book cover to cover that contained no pictures and had no pizza coupons inside. I'm of course referring to Money Ball, the publishing industy's latest shameless ploy to separate baseball fans from their disposable income.

Every spring the bookshelves at Barnes & Noble are filled with the latest pap by some self-important baseball author. David Halberstam has it down to a science. John Feinstein, too, though unlike Halberstam he hasn't figured out that only *baseball fans* have the voracious appetite to read almost any pile of **** about their sport. Feinstein still doesn't realize basketball fans only search basketball books for the special insert page of removable tatoos they are sure the publisher is offering as a special inducement to buy.
:cool:

Anyway, back to the point...

This minority has now become convinced by virtue of several hundred trips to the john to read Beane's book that he is now some sort of modern sage on winning baseball. They post at WSI over and over and over again, pretty much regurgitating everything they remember from the book, or at least the pages that didn't get hopelessly smeared and destroyed when they accidentally drop MoneyBall into the toilet.

As a direct consequence of this, many WSI posters have risen up to counteract the Friends of Billy Beane. Yes, they might seem a bit stringent in their attacks of Beane, but you haven't spent an entire summer reading jeremyb1's posts. Believe me, you'll have a whole new perspective on this subject once you have done so.
:gulp:

So in summation, don't take anything personally. We're all Sox Fans here... except the crossdressers who lurk and post because the Twins and Flubs sites are so ****ing awful.

Enjoy!
:)

FarWestChicago
10-02-2004, 09:16 PM
Haha. If Beane and the A's (and their 90 wins) are failures what does that make our club and GM?
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

FarWestChicago
10-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Just conveniently ignore the fact that Paul Depodesta and the Dodgers won the NL West today... :smile:Going for the Disciple angle. You get creativity points, but still... :whiner:

santo=dorf
10-02-2004, 09:38 PM
How did our expectations coming into this season compare to the A's'?

The A's are the sixth team EVER to blow a 3+ game lead with less than 10 games left in a season!

http://www.nodice.ca/theapprentice/images/donald.jpg

"Billy Beane, YOU'RE FIRED!"

soxwon
10-02-2004, 10:00 PM
The only question now is what the match-ups will be. New York has homefield as long as they are in the playoffs. Boston, of course, won the Wild Card, and so they will open their series on the road, either in Minnesota or Anaheim. All I know is that I don't want to see the Yankees in the World Series. Beyond that, I don't really care who ends up making it there.
im rooting for the TWINS
yes the Twins!!!
they beat us out barely they deserve it.

MarkEdward
10-03-2004, 02:49 AM
Going for the Disciple angle. You get creativity points, but still... :whiner:
I'm not crying... in fact, I'll be rooting for the Dodgers come playoff time.

Hey, I'll be fair and give Kenny Williams some credit. Three consecutive second-place finishes in the AL Central isn't too shabby! :smile:

FarWestChicago
10-03-2004, 04:02 AM
I'm not crying...Sure, we believe you. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

gosox41
10-03-2004, 08:13 AM
once again

$$$>moneyball.

DUH. Who said otherwise?

Bob

gosox41
10-03-2004, 08:14 AM
lost what? just because i think that beane is a good GM doesnt mean that i care if his team makes the playoffs or not. he is still a good drafter in my mind
I agree. Beane is still a good GM. I like the Angels and don't mind seeing them win.

But it took the Angels to spend almost twice as much as the A's to eliminate them on the final weekend of the season.

Both teams had great years.

Bob

gosox41
10-03-2004, 08:23 AM
They're are a lot of jealous people here because Beane has had success with a payroll that has been the same or lower then the Sox the last 4 years.

You get used to it because these people are ripping on things and don't erven get their facts straight. Most still think Beane inherited his Big 3. In reality he only inherited 1. THen again most Beane haters make up things about the guys who support Beane and take it to the extreme.

The simple fact is Beane is a better GM then KW. His teams have one more regular season games, been to the playoffs more and have done so while playing in a much more competitive division where the 3 other teams have out spent his team each year.

People are jealous and say how Beane is lucky he has his pitching. They don't give him credit for drafting and developing guys. Or for having enough of a clue to actually get a fifth starter (not a # 5 starter) because he sees the importance of pithing. THey're upset because Beane has figured out the role pitching plays in the equation to win while our GM keeps feeding us Danny Wright and Felix Diaz.

They're upset because Beane has drafted and developed 2 stud pitchers and has a third guy who can be a stud in Harden. Our guy has yet to draft and develop any player that has made a positive impact on the White Sox.

Peple here are upset because Beane always seems to have something coming through the farm system. He still trades good young talent to fill holes, and sometimes the trades don't work out for him. But he always has a steady stream of young talent coming up through the farm system to fill holes. Whether it's Crosby, Swisher, Blanton or Harden they have a strong minor league system.

Bob

gosox41
10-03-2004, 08:26 AM
CHOAKLAND!!! :yup: :yup: :yup:

It's time for the FOBB to accept the reality that their Messiah is cursed.

:fobbgod:
"I'm not cursed. I'm a genius!"

:KW
"****, bitch. You've won as many World Series as I have."
FUnny how the team with the $55 mill. payroll is considered a choker when they lose to a team that spends almost twice as much.

What does that say for our beloved White Sox? 3 years in a row we've lost out to the Minnesota Twins even though we have had a higher payroll then them.

Do you consider the White Sox chokers and refer to them as the 'Chokago White Sox'

Bob

FarWestChicago
10-03-2004, 11:57 AM
They're are a lot of jealous people here because Beane has had success with a payroll that has been the same or lower then the Sox the last 4 years.http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/weep.gifhttp://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/weep.gifhttp://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/weep.gif

shagar69
10-03-2004, 01:51 PM
They're are a lot of jealous people here because Beane has had success with a payroll that has been the same or lower then the Sox the last 4 years.

You get used to it because these people are ripping on things and don't erven get their facts straight. Most still think Beane inherited his Big 3. In reality he only inherited 1. THen again most Beane haters make up things about the guys who support Beane and take it to the extreme.

The simple fact is Beane is a better GM then KW. His teams have one more regular season games, been to the playoffs more and have done so while playing in a much more competitive division where the 3 other teams have out spent his team each year.

People are jealous and say how Beane is lucky he has his pitching. They don't give him credit for drafting and developing guys. Or for having enough of a clue to actually get a fifth starter (not a # 5 starter) because he sees the importance of pithing. THey're upset because Beane has figured out the role pitching plays in the equation to win while our GM keeps feeding us Danny Wright and Felix Diaz.

They're upset because Beane has drafted and developed 2 stud pitchers and has a third guy who can be a stud in Harden. Our guy has yet to draft and develop any player that has made a positive impact on the White Sox.

Peple here are upset because Beane always seems to have something coming through the farm system. He still trades good young talent to fill holes, and sometimes the trades don't work out for him. But he always has a steady stream of young talent coming up through the farm system to fill holes. Whether it's Crosby, Swisher, Blanton or Harden they have a strong minor league system.

Bob yeah exactly. crosby might be ROY! and guess who passed on him, KW! he KNEW that we had an aging SS and still chose to go with honel, who, yes has had major injuries and is a HS SP, but is no where close to the majors!

MRKARNO
10-03-2004, 01:58 PM
yeah exactly. crosby might be ROY! and guess who passed on him, KW! he KNEW that we had an aging SS and still chose to go with honel, who, yes has had major injuries and is a HS SP, but is no where close to the majors! And that's KW's fault...how? Injuries happen. A lot of people are calling Shingo as the second best rookie in baseball this year and KW signed him when no one was really intrigued by him.

jeremyb1
10-03-2004, 02:15 PM
As a direct consequence of this, many WSI posters have risen up to counteract the Friends of Billy Beane. Yes, they might seem a bit stringent in their attacks of Beane, but you haven't spent an entire summer reading jeremyb1's posts. Believe me, you'll have a whole new perspective on this subject once you have done so.

Yeah because no one had ever heard of Billy Beane or sabermetrics until reading Moneyball? Rob Neyer has had a column at ESPN.com for quite a few years and Baseball Prospectus has also been around sometime now. Furthermore there are four "Moneyball" GMs in baseball right now and JP Riccardi was hired before the book had even begun to be written. I've said time and time again the anti-"stathead" crowd is the one group that's truly obsessed with Billy Beane and Moneyball. I never ever bring up Beane in these dicussions. I'll simply make a criticism of KW and someone always comes back with "Well not every GM is a god like Billy Beane" or "Well...Beane doesn't always make perfect moves." The only extent to which I ever bring up Beane is when I'm discussing the deals KW has made with him because there have been several. That's where it starts and ends.

The huge myth here is that "statheads" are obsessed with Billy Beane. Not true, it's the opposition that is obsessed.

FarWestChicago
10-03-2004, 02:34 PM
The huge myth here is that "statheads" are obsessed with Billy Beane. Not true, it's the opposition that is obsessed.BS! http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/weep.gifhttp://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/weep.gifhttp://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/weep.gif

PaleHoseGeorge
10-03-2004, 02:38 PM

The huge myth here is that "statheads" are obsessed with Billy Beane. Not true, it's the opposition that is obsessed.
Oh brother... not every GM is his own best publicist, jeremy. Only some of us are dumb enough to get sucked in by Money Ball.

You remind me of one of those geese that gets sucked into jet engines around O'hare Airport. Yeah sure, go ahead and tell me you're self-taught on all the boilerplate statgeek baseball knowledge you share with us here, over and over and over ad nauseam.

Waiting breathlessly for your (inevitable) retort,

~PHG