PDA

View Full Version : Bigger rivalry?

ChiSoxRowand
10-02-2004, 01:55 AM
I have been thinking about this for a while, and I figured I'd bring it up since the Dodgers are playing the Giants this weekend. What is a bigger rivalry, Cubs-Cards or Dodgers-Giants. I really don't see anything real special about the cubs-cards rivalry. Yea, there are always a lot of fans for the opposing team at both stadiums and the cities are close to each other, but I don't see the hate in that rivalry. On the other hand, I have never been to California and don't really know much about the Dodgers-Giants rivalry. LA is also one of the worst sports towns in america (maybe the worst). So since I don't really know too much about the Dodgers-Giants rivalry although I know it is a big rivalry, I'll have to go with Cubs-Cards. Just wondering what everone thinks.

StillMissOzzie
10-02-2004, 02:00 AM
I have been thinking about this for a while, and I figured I'd bring it up since the Dodgers are playing the Giants this weekend. What is a bigger rivalry, Cubs-Cards or Dodgers-Giants. I really don't see anything real special about the cubs-cards rivalry. Yea, there are always a lot of fans for the opposing team at both stadiums and the cities are close to each other, but I don't see the hate in that rivalry. On the other hand, I have never been to California and don't really know much about the Dodgers-Giants rivalry. LA is also one of the worst sports towns in america (maybe the worst). So since I don't really know too much about the Dodgers-Giants rivalry although I know it is a big rivalry, I'll have to go with Cubs-Cards. Just wondering what everone thinks.
This rivalry goes WAY back before California, when it was the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Giants. At one time, there were THREE teams in NY!! I don't know the history of the St. Louis Cardinals, but I've gotta think that there's more history in the Giants / Dodgers.

SMO
:gulp:

DumpJerry
10-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Come on......Sox-Flubs are THE rivalry. After all, it is The Forces of Light vs. The Evil Empire. The future of the free universe hangs in the balance. The other rivalries are just marketing gimmicks..........:D:

MRKARNO
10-02-2004, 09:51 AM
Cubs-Sox is more heated, but Giants-Dodgers just has sooooo much more history and relative importance than Sox-Cubs. This is a rivalry that goes back well over a 100 years. Both of these teams were playing each other many times per year before the White Sox were even a franchise. Don't forget about their days in New York! Sox-Cubs games are definately very heated and very emotional, but the first time the two teams played a game that actually counted was less than 10 years ago.

Nellie_Fox
10-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Sox-Cubs games are definately very heated and very emotional, but the first time the two teams played a game that actually counted was less than 10 years ago.Yeah, you sure wouldn't want to count a WORLD SERIES!

misty60481
10-02-2004, 04:01 PM
I think the Giants-Dodgers goes way back even before Leo Durocher who managed both teams. I heard a Giant manager in the late 30s or early 40s was almost clinching a pennant and a newspaper reporter asked him about the remaining games I guess they played quite a few againt Brooklyn he commented " is Booklyn still in the league " and Brooklyn beat them causing them to loose pennant. They say the old time Brooklyn-Giants games were a real fight--lots of beanballs and dirty playing--Durochers type of baseball---

ChiSoxRowand
10-02-2004, 07:17 PM
I was leaving out the interleague rivalries. Those are great though. Especially Flubs-Sox.

Bisco Stu
10-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Giants-Dodgers is infinitely ahead of any Flubs related Series. A rivalry that spans both coasts.

row18
10-03-2004, 01:00 AM
Just a comment; from www.mets.com (http://www.mets.com) (under history from 1959-1969)

The Mets' colors are Dodger blue and Giant orange, symbolic of the return of National League baseball to New York after the Dodgers and Giants moved to California.

I thought that was real cool.

StillMissOzzie
10-03-2004, 01:07 AM
Just a comment; from www.mets.com (http://www.mets.com/) (under history from 1959-1969)

The Mets' colors are Dodger blue and Giant orange, symbolic of the return of National League baseball to New York after the Dodgers and Giants moved to California.

I thought that was real cool.
That's a real interesting history they have, for only being around for forty-plus years. I never knew that the Mets were one of four remnants of a failed startup league!

SMO
:gulp: