PDA

View Full Version : Another Winning Season

faneidde
10-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Well, the win tonight means the Sox have a winning season. I don't think that's all too bad considering the circumstances. If you had told me at the beginning of the year that Frank and Mags would miss the whole second half and Loaiza would revert to pre-2003 form, I would have taken 82 wins every day of the week. The guys played hard all year and I enjoyed watching this team more than any of the last few years. So, before this thread turns into Guillen bashing, Konerko and Lee trading, pining for Reed, and Reinsdorf hating, I thought I'd say good season guys. There are a few Sox fans who are proud of you.

marlins03
10-01-2004, 10:21 PM
good news that the sox have a winning season marlins also have a winning season :):):supernana::supernana:

AddisonStSox
10-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Here's to the only second place team in town!!!

Hey Steve, what do you have to say?

http://www.onr.com/user/susan/henry/quotes/stone.jpg "It's best if I say nothing."

cubhater77
10-01-2004, 10:45 PM
the fat lady is reving up on clark and addison, i hear it might be a dragqueen though, lol.

dcb33
10-01-2004, 10:48 PM
the fat lady is reving up on clark and addison, i hear it might be a dragqueen though, lol.
:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

LuvSox
10-01-2004, 11:24 PM
After Frank and Maggs went down I thought this team was in for some real trouble. I have to tip my hat to them for at least being over .500. And I'm drunk.

Tragg
10-01-2004, 11:56 PM
Here's to the only second place team in town!!!

Hey Steve, what do you have to say?

http://www.onr.com/user/susan/henry/quotes/stone.jpg
Lots of things- I heard these today:

"The way Sammy's seeing the ball today, if they throw him a strike, the ball will land on the street."

"All you have to do is hit the ball in the air today, and you can come back from down 5-1."

But my favorite was this bit of sage analysis:

:chimp

"Sometimes you have to learn how not to lose, before you can learn how to win. This last week has been a great learning experience for the Cubs, which should serve them well next season."

Flight #24
10-02-2004, 12:01 AM
But my favorite was this bit of sage analysis:

:chimp

"Sometimes you have to learn how not to lose, before you can learn how to win. This last week has been a great learning experience for the Cubs, which should serve them well next season."
All that's missing is "You see winning is an organic globule from which one extracts what one needs."

well, that and the late night cheeto run for dope smokin' Chip!

Lip Man 1
10-02-2004, 12:39 AM
When 'mediocrity' is your middle name you take what you can get.

It's not much, but a winning season is better then a losing one anyday of the week.

Lip

maristsox
10-02-2004, 12:44 AM
better than predicted.....im drunk

SoxFan76
10-02-2004, 02:47 AM
Since all the drunks are in this thread, I thought i would add my 2 cents. im drunk as well. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

balke
10-02-2004, 02:49 AM
straight buzzin !!!!!

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

SSN721
10-02-2004, 08:05 AM
Shame on all of you fer being so inebriated, I was wondering where all the bashing posts were but none of you are sober. :D: I have to say after I thought they were out I just wanted them to at least finsih over .500. How pathetic is it that this ragtag group might have the possibility to finish 4 games behind the northsiders with the best lineup ever and greatest pitching staff ever asembled in the history of baseball? At least it is one thing that can bring a smile to my face this morning. :smile: Congrats guys, not what we wanted, but as Lip said, a winning season is better then a losing one anyday.

MRKARNO
10-02-2004, 08:38 AM
Take my win prediction of 91, take out Frank and Maggs for as long as they were out and factor in the amount of wins we probably would have gotten compared to their replacements with Win Shares in mind (about 8) and we'd finish around my predicition of 91.

Winning seasons are a lot better than losing ones and as long as we keep having winning seasons, it means that we will always be just a few steps away from a division title. It's too bad that we havent been able to capitalize these past 4 years.

Lip Man 1
10-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Mr. Karno says: "It means that we will always be just a few steps away from a division title."

With respect Karno...unfortunately those 'few' steps are from here to the Moon. The difference between just the Twins and the Sox is like night and day, add a powerful young Indians team on the rise and unless some massive changes are made both on and off the field, those 'steps' are never going to get any smaller.

And the distance between the Sox and teams like the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels is infinate... not even worth discussing at this point (i.e. a pennant)

Lip

CarlosMay'sThumb
10-02-2004, 12:40 PM
I can't get excited about a statistical anomaly that the Sox happened to win more games than they lost. I wonder what the Sox' record has been over the last few years after they've been eliminated? It seems to me they always put on a little push when the season is over and end up right around .500 every year when it doesn't matter. They've gone 7-3 over their last 10 games - without that they'd be right around .500.

Who cares? :rolleyes:

The question is how they are set up for next year. Does anybody actually think that because the Sox end up 3 or 4 games over .500 they're in a good position next year?

SSN721
10-02-2004, 12:53 PM
I can't get excited about a statistical anomaly that the Sox happened to win more games than they lost. I wonder what the Sox' record has been over the last few years after they've been eliminated? It seems to me they always put on a little push when the season is over and end up right around .500 every year when it doesn't matter. They've gone 7-3 over their last 10 games - without that they'd be right around .500.

Who cares? :rolleyes:

The question is how they are set up for next year. Does anybody actually think that because the Sox end up 3 or 4 games over .500 they're in a good position next year?

Without any moves being made in the offseason I think this team will do about the same next year, 81-86 wins. If they make a couple moves, which I am not saying will happen to all the KW and reinsdorf bashers because I agree they might not do much again over the winter, I still beleive this team will contend for the Division Title next year.

Lip Man 1
10-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Phil Rogers had a column in 2003 talking about that fact, that the Sox always seem to play better when they are out of it. According to him in five of the six Manuel years the Sox played much better after they were out of it, or pretty much out of the picture.

Lip

LongLiveFisk
10-02-2004, 10:14 PM
After Frank and Maggs went down I thought this team was in for some real trouble. I have to tip my hat to them for at least being over .500. And I'm drunk.

I'd have to agree with that (not the being drunk part, but the rest...lol). Not like we have won much in the whole larger scheme of things, but hey, finishing with 82 wins (or maybe 83 after tomorrow) is sure amazing after losing our two big guns..

Hey, that means we were only 5 losses behind this season's projected World Series champ! :gulp: