PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's game really determines AL West

MRKARNO
10-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Because the loser has to win two straight in order to win the division. Whoever wins tonight has a HUGE advantage. So far Anaheim is up 3-0

samram
10-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Man, what happened to Mulder- I got to think there's some injury he's not talking about to have pitched this poorly for a month. That said, I want the Angels to win- I just don't want Mulder to be hurt.

Brian26
10-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Because the loser has to win two straight in order to win the division. Whoever wins tonight has a HUGE advantage. So far Anaheim is up 3-0
What, nobody has ever won two games in a row before?

At this point, you can view this series as a best-of-three prelimary round playoff. If either of these teams goes all the way, they'll have to win three rounds of playoffs before getting to the World Series.

MRKARNO
10-01-2004, 11:03 PM
What, nobody has ever won two games in a row before?

At this point, you can view this series as a best-of-three prelimary round playoff. If either of these teams goes all the way, they'll have to win three rounds of playoffs before getting to the World Series.
The odds are way out of your favor if you lost the first game of a best of three. I'm not saying it can't be done. What I really am getting at is if Oakland loses, they probably will lose the division the way they've been going. If Anaheim loses, it's probably a different story, but Anaheim was winning at the time of the post (and they still are) and Oakland pulled Mulder out of the game for performance reasons after two innings in favor of Joe Blanton.

soxwon
10-01-2004, 11:53 PM
8-0 haloes in the 6th

mulder got creamed, maybe he is coming to the sox?

MRKARNO
10-01-2004, 11:58 PM
mulder got creamed, maybe he is coming to the sox?
He's a slightly worse version of Mark Buehrle, so if you want another Mark Buehrle (I do, but I'd rather have a K or GB pitcher), then Mulder is the man for you.

Jjav829
10-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Big win for the Angels today. They have Escobar going tomorrow against Zito. That favors the Angels having a chance at wrapping up the division tomorrow.

Edit: Wow, I hope no one read that message before I edited it. I think I managed to type the complete opposite of everything I wanted to say. :o:

Lip Man 1
10-02-2004, 01:21 AM
Bartolo Colon, 18 wins, including the biggest game of the season and he comes up golden.

Yea the Sox didn't need his greedy, fat ass!

LOL

Lip

FarWestChicago
10-02-2004, 01:23 AM
Edit: Wow, I hope no one read that message before I edited it. I think I managed to type the complete opposite of everything I wanted to say. :o:I did. :redneck

balke
10-02-2004, 03:46 AM
Bartolo Colon, 18 wins, including the biggest game of the season and he comes up golden.

LOL

Lip
I would love to see what you had to say about Bartolo if he WERE still on the Sox. I'm not paying 15 mil a year for his Konerko style comeback, I'll tell you that much.

Mohoney
10-02-2004, 04:22 AM
He's a slightly worse version of Mark Buehrle, so if you want another Mark Buehrle (I do, but I'd rather have a K or GB pitcher), then Mulder is the man for you.
Um, no. Mulder is one of the elite pitchers in this game, and would be our #1 without a doubt.

If one bad month is enough to completely abandon a great pitcher, then Buehrle would have been traded in April. Pedro would have been traded in April.

MRKARNO
10-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Um, no. Mulder is one of the elite pitchers in this game, and would be our #1 without a doubt.

If one bad month is enough to completely abandon a great pitcher, then Buehrle would have been traded in April. Pedro would have been traded in April.
Compare the career numbers of these two pitchers (and I dont mean W-L record because that's not a good mark in comparing ability) and also consider the fact that Buehrle has played in one of the best hitters' ballparks in the league while Mulder has pitched in one of the best pitchers' ballparks in the leauge. They're both lefties who get a lot of double plays, have been in the majors leagues 5 years and don't have K/9s which are out of this world. Buehrle. Buehlre walks less and strikeouts less people than Mulder. He is also a little bit more durable than Mulder. Buehlre almost won 20 games on a .500 team while Mulder has only won 20 games once, while his team went to October every year he's been there so far. Buehrle and Mulder would both be our no. 1's with Buehlre probably getting the nod based on being here longer.

Pedro's been horrible this year for Pedro, but Mulder is no Pedro. Pedro posted sub-3 ERAs a bunch of times pitching at Fenway while Mulder has never done it at Network Associates. Pedro at his best is in another league compared to Mulder.

marlins03
10-02-2004, 10:25 AM
poor Mulder

doublem23
10-02-2004, 10:41 AM

LOL

Lip
No, we didn't. Why pay an absurd amount of money for a guy who only showed up for the 2nd half?

MRKARNO
10-02-2004, 10:42 AM

LOL

Lip
If Buehrle could only win 16 the way he pitched this year, I really doubt Bartolo could have won 14 on the White Sox the way he pitched this year.

OEO Magglio
10-02-2004, 10:47 AM

LOL

Lip
You're ridiculous, lip.

LuvSox
10-02-2004, 11:37 AM
I hope the Angels take the A's out this weekend. Oakland has been in the playoffs what, the past 4years only to lose in the first round. Time for someone else. Actually, I'm predicting a Cards/Angels series.