PDA

View Full Version : Sox/Fans Article at muvillemagazine.com

TornLabrum
10-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Not to toot my own horn (okay, I'm tooting...), but there is a pretty good article about Sox fans by Peter Schilling, Jr. at mudvillemagazine.com:

http://www.mudvillemagazine.com

I'm quoted extensively both from a phone interview and through my "Natural Law" columns here.

Also quoted are Scott Reifert of the Sox, Peter Elliot of Park Life fame, and Dr. David Fletcher of "Reinstate Buck Weaver" fame.

Unfortunately, Schilling still doesn't quite get it. I think he'd rather have us be more "colorful" and believe in curses and fate and all of that utter BS. I guess that's easier to write about.

Still, I think what he did quote should pretty much get the essence of what it means to be a Sox fan to those who might "get it."

MRKARNO
10-01-2004, 08:56 PM
One of the best articles I've seen about the subject of White Sox fans. It really got to the core of White Sox fans and you could take his description, compare it against the average Cubs fan and see a stark contrast which leads to the animosity. The article was probably aided by the fact its author was coming from a non-Chicago midwest prospective (Let's be honest with ourselves, most of Chicago stands in contrast to the midwest and in comparison with the more cosmopolitan New York, Boston, San Francisco, etc.). I highly recommend this article.

batmanZoSo
10-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Great article.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I do believe we are cursed.

Okay, a long time ago our team was a juggernaut and destined to win it all. But fed up with their cheap boss, they conspired to lose on purpose for cash because they would make more money that way. They were caught and brought to trial in the single ugliest moment in baseball's history, and in the process nearly destroyed the game's integrity completely. All the players involved were banned for life and we haven't won a world series since. It's just a coinky-dink, right? I don't think so.

The popular reason for our lack of winning is bad management, which we've had in spades. Sure, it all starts at the top. If you have an owner who won't spend money to improve the team or a stupid owner who tries and fails, you have no chance either way. But did you ever consider that having bad owners is part of the curse? Fate brought Reinsdorf and company to own this team. He was never a Sox fan...if he had his druthers, he'd probably be sipping piña coladas from a skybox at Chavez Ravine. But the Sox were up for the taking, so him and his boys took over.

If you think about it WE are the only ones in baseball who've done anything truly worthy of an eternal curse. The cubs wouldn't let some hick bring his freakin' goat into the park. If I were a cub fan and could go back, I'd do it again...get that mangy, stinkin' thing off my property! And the Red Sox traded someone to another team. Wow, what evil b#$#@rds they are. Us, on the other hand, well, we nearly destroyed the game by trading the ultimate prize for extra pocket money. Hey, if anyone is cursed, it's us. It does make me feel a little better thinking that something divine and out of our hands is responisble for our failures. But I don't embrace it. I just acknowledge it.

TornLabrum
10-01-2004, 09:13 PM
One of the best articles I've seen about the subject of White Sox fans. It really got to the core of White Sox fans and you could take his description, compare it against the average Cubs fan and see a stark contrast which leads to the animosity. The article was probably aided by the fact its author was coming from a non-Chicago midwest prospective (Let's be honest with ourselves, most of Chicago stands in contrast to the midwest and in comparison with the more cosmopolitan New York, Boston, San Francisco, etc.). I highly recommend this article.I think I had the biggest problem with this:

I'm a romantic at heart, and maybe that is why I had to leave Michigan, with its soul crushing blue collar pessimism. Suggesting natural law, or fate, cuffs the spirit. You can't beat natural law, you can't beat fate, but you can fight a curse. You can wear the same t-shirt to every playoff game and not eat in the fifth through seventh innings to bring good luck to your pitcher. You can pray to your god, kiss a rosary or hold séances in center field to appease ghosts. Curses are meant to be endured... and broken.
Baseball, merely a game, is about hope and promise and even silly things like good luck and bad. But the White Sox faithful feel that rally caps and appeasing a dead ballplayer won't beat a mediocre stadium, won't defeat the drawback of trying to attract quality players to the Sox, won't erase injuries, plain or bizarre. Sox fans suffer from the same sort of blue collar angst that keeps places like Chicago's South Side, Detroit, Michigan, and Gary, Indiana in the doldrums, seemingly forever. Good luck won't bring jobs and rebuild a downtown. It won't rebuild old Comiskey. This is life, and that's nothing you can do about it. And that's pretty sad.

I prefer to think that my view of the Sox has more to do with 50 years of putting up with the same crap year after year after year than it does with the kind of blue collar angst blah blah blah.

However, that's about the only real problem I have with the article...well that and the fact that he seemed to miss the fact that H. Vickery's law is strictly tongue in cheek, my way of satirizing the curses attributed to the Flubs while pointing out that there really is no such thing as luck or curses or anything of the sort. What happens happens. And a lot of what happens to us comes from unfortuitous happenstance orn most often from bad ownership.

SSN721
10-02-2004, 11:15 AM
I thought it was a very good article, except for being over done a bit with the curses I thought it was good at capturing the way we all feel. The roots of Sox fans and just their general nature was captured very well in this article. I thought an excellent job overall.