PDA

View Full Version : Magglio??

mymanmaggs30
10-01-2004, 09:14 PM
ok,seriously who thinks maggs will be back next year??:bandance: :bandance:

doublem23
10-01-2004, 09:30 PM
I think the only thing going for us is the fact that no one seems to know how seriously injured he is which may repel suitors. But that just means that I'm not to sure how badly I want him back. Honestly, I'd like to see the Sox pursue him this off-season, but for nothing more than say, $5-7 million guaranteed and a load of incentives.

However, someone is going to throw some money at Maggs. With 30 MLB teams, there's bound to be one dumb enough to do so. Bye, Magglio. Could have signed a what? $14 million extension this year but spurned the Sox?

Let the Carlos Beltran era begin. :bandance:

chisoxt
10-01-2004, 09:49 PM
ok,seriously who thinks maggs will be back next year??
The way I see it, Mags would be ridiculously foolish to come back to the Sox and here's why....Obviously, with Maggs' injury, the Sox, if they offer anything, will offer some low-ball incentive offer that will be so unappealing, that Mags would be almost certain to obtain as good if not better of a deal in the free-agent market. And if he does go free-agent, the Sox lose negotiating rights until May, 2005. So even if the Sox do offer him the best deal, it will be too late, thus forcing him to take whatever the best deal is during the free-agent period.

I believe, that someone other than the Sox, though will offer him decent guaranteed money.

Bye Maggs.

Brian26
10-01-2004, 10:15 PM
We won't have a chance once the Cubs sign Mags, Beltran and Yaz.

HITMEN OF 77
10-01-2004, 10:44 PM
ok,seriously who thinks maggs will be back next year??:bandance: :bandance:
One word, one syllable, NO.

faneidde
10-01-2004, 11:06 PM
I don't think so. But I hope I'm there to give Mags a standing ovation when he returns. The guy played great for the Sox for a few years. Here's to you Mags, wherever you end up. :gulp:

misty60481
10-01-2004, 11:37 PM
It sure would be nice to see him and big Frank back in the line-up we would probably be in play-offs if the injuries didnt happen...He has been a class player in all his career here in CHICAGO....

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-01-2004, 11:41 PM
It sure would be nice to see him and big Frank back in the line-up we would probably be in play-offs if the injuries didnt happen...He has been a class player in all his career here in CHICAGO....
it is too bad....but just think what we'll get for him....

:KW
"I favor a nice sammy sosa"

LongLiveFisk
10-02-2004, 09:17 AM
I wish Mags were coming back, but only healthy of course. All things considered though, I really doubt he will be wearing a White Sox uniform next season.

idseer
10-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Honestly, I'd like to see the Sox pursue him this off-season, but for nothing more than say, $5-7 million guaranteed and a load of incentives.

make that just ONE million and not even that until he shows he can play at all.

Flight #24
10-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Practically speaking, I don't believe the MLB CBA gives the Sox much chance of keeping Maggs. IIRC, they have until the arb deadline to resign him. At that point, they either offer him arb (which he'd likely accept and get a 1-yr, 11mil or so deal), or they don't offer him arb. In the latter scenario, they lose the ability to resign him until May. This was the situation with the Marlins & IRod last year IIRC.

So unless Maggs determines early on that he's not going to get anywhere close to what he wants and decides to take a short, cheap Sox offer, they won't even have the option to resign him.

Anyone with more detailed CBA knowledge want to confirm/deny?

Jjav829
10-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Practically speaking, I don't believe the MLB CBA gives the Sox much chance of keeping Maggs. IIRC, they have until the arb deadline to resign him. At that point, they either offer him arb (which he'd likely accept and get a 1-yr, 11mil or so deal), or they don't offer him arb. In the latter scenario, they lose the ability to resign him until May. This was the situation with the Marlins & IRod last year IIRC.

So unless Maggs determines early on that he's not going to get anywhere close to what he wants and decides to take a short, cheap Sox offer, they won't even have the option to resign him.

Anyone with more detailed CBA knowledge want to confirm/deny?
You are correct. They would have to agree to a contract with him before the deadline to offer him arbitration. If they didn't then they would have to offer him arbitration in order to continue negotiating with him. Now it's possible that they could reach a handshake agreement (which has happened before) where the Sox would offer Maggs arbitration with him agreeing to decline it. That way they could continue to talk past the deadline. But if Maggs won't agree to decline arbitration then it is way too risky because if he accepts then the lowest number the Sox could offer would be $11.2 million.