PDA

View Full Version : What Happends if the Giants and Astros sweep thier series?

row18
10-01-2004, 08:04 AM
Does anyone know what would MLB do if the Giants sweep the Dodgers, and the Astros sweep the Rockies. It will then be a tie for the West Division, as well as 3 way tie for the Wild Card, do the Stros get handed the WC, while the Giants/Dodgers play for the West?

DrCrawdad
10-01-2004, 08:18 AM
Does anyone know what would MLB do if the Giants sweep the Dodgers, and the Astros sweep the Rockies. It will then be a tie for the West Division, as well as 3 way tie for the Wild Card, do the Stros get handed the WC, while the Giants/Dodgers play for the West?

If the Giants or the Astros sweep this weekend, good-night Cubbies.

The Wimperoo
10-01-2004, 08:20 AM
I believe that the Dodgers and Giants would play for the West, and then the loser would play the Astros for the Wild Card the next day.

But someone correct me if I am wrong.

bigfoot
10-01-2004, 08:37 AM
Greg Maddux can keep his Monday tee time!

voodoochile
10-01-2004, 09:07 AM
I believe that the Dodgers and Giants would play for the West, and then the loser would play the Astros for the Wild Card the next day.

But someone correct me if I am wrong.
The loser of the NLW playoff game would be .5 games behind the Astros. I thought those games counted as regular season games. Wouldn't the Stros be the WC by default?

Jjav829
10-01-2004, 09:16 AM
The loser of the NLW playoff game would be .5 games behind the Astros. I thought those games counted as regular season games. Wouldn't the Stros be the WC by default?
No, they would have two tiebreaker games. The Giants and Dodgers would play each other to determine the NL West division winner. But the W/L would not count in the overall standings for either team. The loser of that game would then play the Astros to determine the Wild Card winner.

Mickster
10-01-2004, 09:32 AM
So, in that scenario, an NL West team would get 2 bites at the apple?

munchman33
10-01-2004, 11:44 AM
No, they would have two tiebreaker games. The Giants and Dodgers would play each other to determine the NL West division winner. But the W/L would not count in the overall standings for either team. The loser of that game would then play the Astros to determine the Wild Card winner.
wrong

I remember screaming at Tim Kurjuan (spelling?) last night on BBTN for saying the same thing. If the division was out of it, then yes, there would be two games. But if they're tied for the division, those games do not count as a wild card playoff and DO COUNT in the actual standings. The Astros would be handed the wildcard by default. Boston Gammons goes over this scenerio every year.

Tekijawa
10-01-2004, 12:03 PM
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :supernana: :cryingtrollinAcubshat :supernana: :bandance: :bandance:
:gulp:

Iwritecode
10-01-2004, 12:18 PM
wrong

I remember screaming at Tim Kurjuan (spelling?) last night on BBTN for saying the same thing. If the division was out of it, then yes, there would be two games. But if they're tied for the division, those games do not count as a wild card playoff and DO COUNT in the actual standings. The Astros would be handed the wildcard by default. Boston Gammons goes over this scenerio every year.

JJav and Tim K. are both right...

Check out MLB's official site. (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040915&content_id=859158&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp)

Jjav829
10-02-2004, 04:16 PM
wrong

I remember screaming at Tim Kurjuan (spelling?) last night on BBTN for saying the same thing. If the division was out of it, then yes, there would be two games. But if they're tied for the division, those games do not count as a wild card playoff and DO COUNT in the actual standings. The Astros would be handed the wildcard by default. Boston Gammons goes over this scenerio every year.There's your mistake. You shouldn't have been screaming at Kurkjian and believing Gammons. That's just wrong right there. :smile:

Good to hear that Kurkjian bothered to actually get the right info though. Gammons is still living in the past.

ChiSoxRowand
10-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Yea, it would be Dodgers-Giants Monday than the loser vs. the Stros Tuesday.They have all the tiebreaker scenarios on Mlb.com.

doublem23
10-02-2004, 08:40 PM
wrong

I think the one who said that a few nights ago was Jeff Brantley. Which then has to be wrong.

The Wimperoo
10-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Well, don't have to worry about any crazy 4-way ties anymore. Only one left is a possible tie between the Astros and Giants for the wild card.