PDA

View Full Version : With tonight's win...

TommyJohn
10-01-2004, 12:27 AM
The White Sox, for the fifth straight season, will finish .500 or above!!!!

**crickets**

TornLabrum
10-01-2004, 01:04 AM

**crickets**
And unlike Jerry Manuel, who managed to accomplish this feat with both Thomas and Ordonez, Ozzie could only manage to do it while they were out with injuries.

batmanZoSo
10-01-2004, 01:07 AM

**crickets**

At least we're off to a decent start to the new century.

MelidoPerezGuy
10-01-2004, 02:41 AM
And unlike Jerry Manuel, who managed to accomplish this feat with both Thomas and Ordonez, Ozzie could only manage to do it while they were out with injuries.
are you saying ozzie did a good job? To me ozzie was a big disappointment. He is the biggest twins fan outside of minnesota that I know of

SEALgep
10-01-2004, 08:17 AM
are you saying ozzie did a good job? To me ozzie was a big disappointment. He is the biggest twins fan outside of minnesota that I know ofThat's because the Twins executed Ozzie Ball better than we did. Ozzie calls it like he sees it, which is part of the reason we are making changes. To me, Ozzie is one of the more refreshing parts of this season.

jabrch
10-01-2004, 08:40 AM
are you saying ozzie did a good job? To me ozzie was a big disappointment. He is the biggest twins fan outside of minnesota that I know of
And for good reason - they (again) did all the right things to win. Ozzie is jealous of how that team played - and so am I.

Jjav829
10-01-2004, 09:20 AM
Woohoo, another year of pure mediocrity! :bandance:

voodoochile
10-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Okay, I gave you a week off with your other screen name. You chose to sign up with a new one. Now the original name gets a month off. Keep it up, and you just won't post here anymore.

Dan H
10-01-2004, 10:28 AM
I would be jumping and up and down with joy if I were a Cub fan. And since the Sox seem to win one division title about every 10 years, this means 2010 looks to be a great year.

PatK
10-01-2004, 11:09 AM
It's funny, Sox do it five years in a row, yet it's not held as lofty as an accomplishment as the Cubs back-to-back winning seasons for the first time in 32 years.

Hitmen77
10-01-2004, 11:14 AM

**crickets**
Woohoo - I'm going to celebrate by kissing my sister and drinking some warm, flat beer!

voodoochile
10-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Woohoo - I'm going to celebrate by kissing my sister and drinking some warm, flat beer!
*****! Now that's a Reinsdorf legacy...

POTW (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13&id=2694) :)

jshanahanjr
10-01-2004, 11:22 AM
I think it was a good year considering Maggs and Frank went down for the count. The Sox got sporadic production from third, short, second, right, 3-5 starters, Marte, Cotts, Adkins, etc. The Sox would have a 3 game lead with 3 to go if Frank & Maggs were healthy, but if ifs and buts were candy and nuts everyday would be Christmas.

Flight #24
10-01-2004, 11:28 AM
It's funny, Sox do it five years in a row, yet it's not held as lofty as an accomplishment as the Cubs back-to-back winning seasons for the first time in 32 years.
Especially when you factor in the losses of Frank & Maggs for 50%+ of the season, I think it's a pretty good year to finish above .500. And while we'd all obviously rather have more playoff appearances, it's testament to a solid organization that the Sox are one of very few teams to so consistently finish .500+.

Hitmen77
10-01-2004, 11:28 AM
It's funny, Sox do it five years in a row, yet it's not held as lofty as an accomplishment as the Cubs back-to-back winning seasons for the first time in 32 years.I agree that there is an unfair Cubs bias at play and that the Cubs are sickeningly overhyped, but we cannot deny that the Cubs got within 5 out of the World Series last year and, as of Oct.1, 2004, still have a shot at the playoffs this year.

The Sox had that great 2000 season, but then went quickly 3-and-out in the playoffs. They followed that with utterly forgetable 2001 and 2002 seasons. They looked great again in 2003, but then collapsed in mid-September and were long forgotten about by the time the playoffs started. Even though the Sox will have an over .500 record this year, I don't think any Sox fan will fondly remember the '04 season.

Until JR & Co. can get their act together and build a franchise that will give us more than just a bunch of .500, 10 games out of first seasons and brief, forgettable playoff appearance about once a decade, then this team will never be held in high regard by the media or by the fans.

Hitmen77
10-01-2004, 11:34 AM
*****! Now that's a Reinsdorf legacy...

POTW (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13&id=2694) :)
Thanks! I'm honored to get the POTW.

munchman33
10-01-2004, 11:36 AM
You guys all need to relax with your complaining. This team was a winning team despite losing its two best players for most of the year. Is there anyone out there that honestly believes we wouldn't have at the very least been competing this week if both Frank and Maggs were here?

CubKilla
10-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Is there anyone out there that honestly believes we wouldn't have at the very least been competing this week if both Frank and Maggs were here?
Me

Flight #24
10-01-2004, 12:46 PM
Me
Got an actual rationale? Or just a gut feeling?

Palehose13
10-01-2004, 01:01 PM
You guys all need to relax with your complaining. This team was a winning team despite losing its two best players for most of the year. Is there anyone out there that honestly believes we wouldn't have at the very least been competing this week if both Frank and Maggs were here?
I agree.

Lip Man 1
10-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Hitmen 77:

Well said. What ever happened to all those 'championships' that were supposed to be coming after the White Flag Trade?

You remember that deal eh? The one that supposedly restocked the minor league system, the one where Uncle Jerry was quoted directly as saying that his scouts said they got 'two or three All Stars' in the deal and the one that pointed the way to a brighter future.

LOL

It's been seven years since then. Average seasonal record 83-79.

Some future.

Lip

jshanahanjr
10-01-2004, 01:51 PM
The Astros run this year makes me very angry with the White Flag trade of 1997.

Erik The Red
10-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Especially when you factor in the losses of Frank & Maggs for 50%+ of the season, I think it's a pretty good year to finish above .500. And while we'd all obviously rather have more playoff appearances, it's testament to a solid organization that the Sox are one of very few teams to so consistently finish .500+.
If I'm not mistaken, we did finish 2nd only to the Braves in total wins in the 90s, as well.

Lip Man 1
10-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Eric:

3rd behind the Yankees and Braves but the more important stat is number of playoff appearances.

That was the difference between the three organizations.

Lip

Dan H
10-01-2004, 06:03 PM
I agree with Lip. It's playoff appearances that count. Not to mention only one World Series appearance since 1919.

To those who want to accept the injury excuse: In 1973, that was the reason for a terrible season and 1974 turned out to be a .500 year. We were told that injuries ruined '01 and '02 would be great. Well, '02 wasn't great.

Enough of the excuses. It's time to win. Injuries are not the reason the Sox haven't won a World Series in 87 years and now going on 88.