PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Discussion on the Murph Show

chisoxt
09-30-2004, 10:01 PM
Tonight, Mike Murphy is reporting that the new GM of the Mets, Omar Minya, will attempt to work out a trade to bring Sosa to the Mets. Murph believes that the Mets, desperate for attention in the Big Apple will use Sammy to market themselves to the City's large base of latinos.

My thoughts on this if these reports are true......If I were the owner of the Mets, I'd veto any deal in a heartbeat (although something is telling me that ownership is probably pushing for this to happen). Why would you take on all or part of an 18 milion dollar salary for a washed up DH in the making in Sosa? Also why would you give up anything to get him, seeing as though your organization has produced very little in recent years. Further, it would be surprising to see Minya who has long bided his time working for a cash-strapped baseball team, to make such a wrecklessly short-sided move.

It would also be so like the Cub's luck to rid themselves of Sosa, allowing themselves to be even more aggressive in the free-agent market.

DrCrawdad
09-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Tonight, Mike Murphy is reporting that the new GM of the Mets, Omar Minya, will attempt to work out a trade to bring Sosa to the Mets. Murph believes that the Mets, desperate for attention in the Big Apple will use Sammy to market themselves to the City's large base of latinos.

My thoughts on this if these reports are true......If I were the owner of the Mets, I'd veto any deal in a heartbeat (although something is telling me that ownership is probably pushing for this to happen). Why would you take on all or part of an 18 milion dollar salary for a washed up DH in the making in Sosa? Also why would you give up anything to get him, seeing as though your organization has produced very little in recent years. Further, it would be surprising to see Minya who has long bided his time working for a cash-strapped baseball team, to make such a wrecklessly short-sided move.

It would also be so like the Cub's luck to rid themselves of Sosa, allowing themselves to be even more aggressive in the free-agent market.

Are Murphy's words visible thru the radio in deep pink?

I don't see it happenin. Seems to me that it should be obvious to everyone that Sammy, shrunken skinny Sammy is a mere shadow of his former self.

Jerry_Manuel
09-30-2004, 10:12 PM
The Mets are ran by morons, don't put anything past them.

Mohoney
09-30-2004, 11:46 PM
The Mets are ran by morons, don't put anything past them.
Carl Everett, Kelly Dransfeldt, and a PTBNL for Victor Zambrano?

34 Inch Stick
10-01-2004, 09:15 AM
Anybody else notice that in a down year where he has played in only 124 games Sammy has 34 home runs? I know we love to bash him here but the man is far from done. The contract is outrageous but it is only for 1 year.

Tekijawa
10-01-2004, 09:40 AM
Anybody else notice that in a down year where he has played in only 124 games Sammy has 34 home runs? I know we love to bash him here but the man is far from done. The contract is outrageous but it is only for 1 year.
You're one of those Valentin Fans too aren't you?

cubhater
10-01-2004, 10:05 AM
It would be a effective short-term PR move by the Mets and that's it. Hell, the NY media wouldn't give Sosa the lovefest he receives here and would dog him for being the selfish headcase he reallly is. Sosa would probably veto the trade because he wouldn't get top billing in NY with the Yankees winning and ARod being the top dog in the city. Oh the poor gladiator's fragile ego!

I think the Mets may be snakebitten to take on another large contract, albeit for one year. Aren't they still paying Mo Vaughn?

CubKilla
10-01-2004, 11:37 AM
And his once >.300 average is hovering around .250 while his K's are up. I think it's now quite obvious Sham's success was due to "Flintstone Vitamins".

Hope he doesn't sneeze before this weekends games. Give Cub fans more excuse fodder.

34 Inch Stick
10-01-2004, 11:48 AM
You're one of those Valentin Fans too aren't you?
It's not even a close to fair compairison and you know that. There are a lot of teams out there who live happily with their power hitters in the mid .200 range. Given a full season he would have gotten to 40 and 100 again. If the price weren't so skewed he would have a long list of suitors on the free agent/trade market.

bigfoot
10-01-2004, 11:52 AM
It would be a effective short-term PR move by the Mets and that's it. Hell, the NY media wouldn't give Sosa the lovefest he receives here and would dog him for being the selfish headcase he reallly is. Sosa would probably veto the trade because he wouldn't get top billing in NY with the Yankees winning and ARod being the top dog in the city. Oh the poor gladiator's fragile ego!

I think the Mets may be snakebitten to take on another large contract, albeit for one year. Aren't they still paying Mo Vaughn?
The Mets fans and NY media would eat SS alive!
Mr. Sensitive's pic on the back of the NY Post on a daily basis, with a golden sombrero would make Corky melt, like a house had fallen on his sister. Scammy would have a sneezin' attack within a month in NY and be on & off the DL for the rest of the year. and when he finds out that Piazza & Leiter rule the Mets...........

34 Inch Stick
10-01-2004, 11:52 AM
And his once >.300 average is hovering around .250 while his K's are up. I think it's now quite obvious Sham's success was due to "Flintstone Vitamins".

Hope he doesn't sneeze before this weekends games. Give Cub fans more excuse fodder.
He's back to being the Panther.

I think he was on steroids. I think his numbers were enhanced because of steroids. He had a lot of ability as a thin, muscular kid though. The strike outs have nothing to do with steroids.

Lip Man 1
10-01-2004, 12:43 PM
Gang:

There may be some truth to this. In the Tribune there is a story quoting Steve Stone extensively ripping the Cubs for their attitudes and pettiness.

Stone says in the story that he's been told this off season the Cubs will make some 'blockbuster' deals to get rid of the complainers on the team.

Lip

Jerko
10-01-2004, 12:44 PM
Gang:

There may be some truth to this. In the Tribune there is a story quoting Steve Stone extensively ripping the Cubs for their attitudes and pettiness.

Stone says in the story that he's been told this off season the Cubs will make some 'blockbuster' deals to get rid of the complainers on the team.

Lip
They will be 0-162 with 162 forfeits if they get rid of all the complainers on that team.

Lip Man 1
10-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Here's the link to the Stone comments story:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-040930cubsstone,1,3811686.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
10-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Next year is 2005,not 1999.Scam-ME will be 37 (allegedly),not 31.

I don't see this deal getting done.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hangar18
10-01-2004, 02:50 PM
The Mets are Dumb. They better NOT do that ........

DrCrawdad
10-01-2004, 08:09 PM

Sammy has certainly put up very respectable HR numbers this year. The point is though that his production has decreased drastically.

In Sammy's whopping glory years ('98-'00)...
.640 SLG
.099224 HR/AB
.380 OBP

Sammy this year...
.511 SLG
.07203 HR/AB
.330 OBP

At the rate Sammy has hit this year, if you factored usual number of ABs then he'd have about 47 HR.