PDA

View Full Version : is dusty baker a racist?

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-30-2004, 07:01 PM
just a question..someone today mentioned it at school
.....is he? The guy said dusty made a racist comment about "blacks can endure the sun longer" or something like that

Palehose13
09-30-2004, 07:04 PM
.....is he? The guy said dusty made a racist comment about "blacks can endure the sun longer" or something like thatHe did make a comment like that regarding skin tone and the sun.However, I don't know if that alone qualifies him as a racist. However, I remember a certain Greek who said something similar and was canned on the spot. Dusty's comment didn't even get very much attention.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Yes, Dusty made comments in front of the media about black ballplayers being "built for the heat." Several of them had tape recorders and I'm sure somebody out there has an audio file linked somewhere on the internet.

There were some nervous chuckles from the media audible on the tape, but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happened to Dusty. Not one single self-righteous reporter even bothered to ask, "Whaddya mean by that, Dusty? In your view are white players lacking the necessities?"

The Chicago sports media is nothing but a bunch of lazy lap dogs. Just feed 'em some nice easy quotes and they'll stick their snouts 10 feet up your ass.

:nandrolone
"I am a gladiator!"

:moron
"Sammy, I want to have your baby!"

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-30-2004, 07:35 PM
LMAO! hahhahaha. so true. its sad that it has come to this, that if something happens to the sox it's "omg bla bla bla sox are so bad" it's terrible! my GF does so much sox bashing its not even funny. ITS TIME FOR SOX FANS TO TAKE A STAND AGAINST EVIL

Lip Man 1
09-30-2004, 07:38 PM
I think he is in the sense that anytime anything happens to a minority, Dusty has a comment that gives you the impression that he thinks it was deliberate. Which is ludicrous. Does racism exist? Certainly. Does every Caucasian person deliberately try to go out of their way to hurt minority races...certainly not.

Lip

daveeym
09-30-2004, 08:24 PM
Yes, Dusty made comments in front of the media about black ballplayers being "built for the heat." Several of them had tape recorders and I'm sure somebody out there has an audio file linked somewhere on the internet.

There were some nervous chuckles from the media audible on the tape, but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happened to Dusty. Not one single self-righteous reporter even bothered to ask, "Whaddya mean by that, Dusty? In your view are white players lacking the necessities?"

The Chicago sports media is nothing but a bunch of lazy lap dogs. Just feed 'em some nice easy quotes and they'll stick their snouts 10 feet up your ass.

:nandrolone
"I am a gladiator!"

:moron
"Sammy, I want to have your baby!" While the chicago media sucks that would happen in any city. No one would ever call a black person as "loved" as dusty a racist.

soxnut
09-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Just call him Dusty Bunker.:?: :wink:

row18
09-30-2004, 10:44 PM
I don't think Dusty is a racist, althought his comments were very stupid. I think racsim is when you allow your thoughts to dictate your actions and used to harm or oppressed a certain group.

bennyw41
10-01-2004, 10:45 AM
.....is he? The guy said dusty made a racist comment about "blacks can endure the sun longer" or something like thatWhat do you think about the NFL using two point conversions?

Isn't this a really old argument?

CubKilla
10-01-2004, 11:33 AM
I don't think Dusty is a racist, althought his comments were very stupid. I think racsim is when you allow your thoughts to dictate your actions and used to harm or oppressed a certain group.
Then he stereotypes.

Jerko
10-01-2004, 11:39 AM
I just think he's an idiot. No matter what anyone does (I'll use Corky as an example), Dusty just says something like "Well, he's not the first guy to get caught with cork, he's not the only one that ever cheated, other people cheat so it's ok". Sadly, I think he would use the same argument if someone he knew committed murder; "Oh well, he's not the first murderer around, other people have murdered so it's not like it's never happened before". He's an enabler if anything.

flo-B-flo
10-01-2004, 11:27 PM
Always a sticky subject race relations and comments. To me racism is an institution. By that I mean a system designed to oppress and deny the (in this country) American dream using the color of you skin as reason. All sports were a part of this at one time or another. Including the US government. Bigotry is the lesser form of racism. All of us have practiced bigotry in our lifetimes. From racial to gender to bigotry towards gays and lesbians. Were Bakers comments racial? No, IMO. Were they bigoted? maybe. Stereotypical? I don't know. Like the 'white man can't jump' myth- some whites CAN jump- these statements were akin to that. Lots of black and latins don't like being in the sun a lot either. My granson is caucasion. He loves being in the sun.