PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Idea but.....

JoseCanseco6969
09-30-2004, 05:35 PM
If anyone heard the game today and paid attention to the Stone-Cubs war, I think, as much as I dislike Stone, wouldnt it be crazy if the Cubs fired him or he quit? I mean he was dissing baker as well as Cubs players throughout the season. What if the Sox ended up signing him to replace DJ? PR move if I ever heard one. Crazy and sort of stupid idea but crazier things have happened. Now I'm getting ready for this thread blows or sucks guys. fire away.

the_valenstache
09-30-2004, 05:46 PM
Only if he brings Ron Santo's legs with him. Major PR move.

FightingBillini
09-30-2004, 06:13 PM
As much as a tool as Stone is, he has a brilliant mind for baseball. He carries the broadcast, while Chimp occassionally ads a dumb comment about "gullywashers" or whatever. Stone is a great analyst. I dont know how well he would work with Hawk, but I would love to see it happen.

Foulke You
09-30-2004, 06:23 PM
Stone is actually a good baseball mind and I admire his gusto for not taking the crap from the Cubs players. However, if I had to listen to that nasally voice for a whole season, I'd go nuts. I just find it irritating.

If you'll recall, the Sox actually had a chance to woo Stone when he was done recovering from his health problems. Many in the Chicago media suggested what a great PR move it would have been for the Sox to get Stone. However, the Sox were committed to DJ and many here at WSI and in the media felt that Stone and Hawk's egos were too big to be in the same booth together and that they wouldn't get along.

Who knows...personally, I wish the Sox could find a way to make amends with Tom Paciorek and put him back in the booth with Hawk where he belongs. Hawk and Wimpy had such great chemistry together. Only Sox management would screw up a good thing like that.

Frankfan4life
09-30-2004, 06:26 PM
I like DJ. I see no need to replace him.

ja1022
09-30-2004, 06:46 PM
I agree. I think DJ gets better with time. Like a previous poster, I also preferred Paciorek. I think Hawk screwed that relationship up though, rather than management.

dickallen15
09-30-2004, 06:47 PM
If anyone heard the game today and paid attention to the Stone-Cubs war, I think, as much as I dislike Stone, wouldnt it be crazy if the Cubs fired him or he quit? I mean he was dissing baker as well as Cubs players throughout the season. What if the Sox ended up signing him to replace DJ? PR move if I ever heard one. Crazy and sort of stupid idea but crazier things have happened. Now I'm getting ready for this thread blows or sucks guys. fire away.
What was Stone saying today? My dad told me he really was ripping Dusty. Stone and Hawk are friendly. I would really love to see them team up. Stone's voice is nasally, but he knows the game, and would actually provide insight, something DJ really can't do unless Hawk puts it on a tee for him. Plus, I've had about enough of DJ's stoner look. Between him and the scoreboard picture of Borchard, I get a craving for Cheetos.

MRKARNO
09-30-2004, 06:55 PM
Steve Stone sees situations about as well as anyone in baseball. I would love to have him in the broadcast booth, though he can get annoying when he says some things can't happen (like you can't hit a certain pitcher on a particular day).

DrCrawdad
09-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Steve Stone sees situations about as well as anyone in baseball. I would love to have him in the broadcast booth, though he can get annoying when he says some things can't happen (like you can't hit a certain pitcher on a particular day).

From what I've heard from Stone, it sounds like he's fairly close to Reinsdorf. Who knows maybe if the Sox fire KW they'll hire a broadcaster for GM...again.

Lip Man 1
09-30-2004, 07:42 PM
I said a few years ago it would be a tremendous PR move on the part of the Sox to 'steal,' something that belonged to the Cubs for a change.

Stoney has a great baseball mind and gets his point across clearly...much better then that stumblebum Jackson.

And don't forget Stone pitched for the Sox on two separate occasions including the Southside Hit Men team of 1977 where he led the staff with 15 wins.

I asked him one time if he still had feelings for the South Side and he enthusiastically said yes.

Also he was out at the park the last time Seattle was in town because he did a guest appearance on Fox Sports Northwest with the Seattle broadcasters.

Lip

JoseCanseco6969
09-30-2004, 10:22 PM
I said a few years ago it would be a tremendous PR move on the part of the Sox to 'steal,' something that belonged to the Cubs for a change.

Stoney has a great baseball mind and gets his point across clearly...much better then that stumblebum Jackson.

And don't forget Stone pitched for the Sox on two separate occasions including the Southside Hit Men team of 1977 where he led the staff with 15 wins.

I asked him one time if he still had feelings for the South Side and he enthusiastically said yes.

Also he was out at the park the last time Seattle was in town because he did a guest appearance on Fox Sports Northwest with the Seattle broadcasters.

Lip
couldnt agree more about the stumblebum DJ, he cant ever say a complete sentence without stuttering or messing up a stat or name completely. And i am glad to see some people agreeing with me on my crazy idea. Bring back some Sox player with some recognition for the team. No wimpy please

Parrothead
09-30-2004, 10:53 PM
That should be in teal.

bigfoot
10-01-2004, 12:15 AM
With Stone rumored to becoming married in the off-season, his fondness for the desert Southwest and the change in management of the D-Backs, is it out of the question to think that Stone would likely entertain an offer in Arizona?

ChiSoxRowand
10-01-2004, 12:33 AM
I don't want Stone. He is a good baseball mind, but he wouldn't work well with Hawk plus I don't mind DJ.

34 Inch Stick
10-01-2004, 09:20 AM
With Stone rumored to becoming married in the off-season, ?
That is supposed to be in teal right. Provincetown is not nearly as pleasant in the winter as during the summer.

Tekijawa
10-01-2004, 09:33 AM
STEVE STONE FOR BENCH COACH 2005!!!!

Mickster
10-01-2004, 10:20 AM
I like Stone and would not mind him working for the Sox in any capacity in the future.

JoseCanseco6969
10-01-2004, 11:16 AM
STEVE STONE FOR BENCH COACH 2005!!!!
Well that loudmouth Baines is rumored to be stepping down, why not?

Lip Man 1
10-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Here's the link to the Stone comments story:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-040930cubsstone,1,3811686.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

Hangar18
10-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Stone is the ONLY good announcer they have over there. Hes very intelligent, and knows a baseball situation well enough to break it down for the viewers, something a good color man should be able to do. WHen he first came back, I DIDNT like him, he was pandering to the audience (ala mike murphy), and kissing the cubs butts. but he returned to form around June and hey, I have to give him kudos, hes a Very very good announcer. Hes a cubby lover, but he wont give them credit if they dont deserve it, unlike the REST OF THE CUBLOVING MEDIA.

Frankfan4life
10-01-2004, 09:17 PM
That should be in teal.This is my opinion. Just like everybody else I'm entitled to have one. I happen to think DJ is a decent broadcaster. He is not as experienced as Stone but he is getting better.

flo-B-flo
10-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Steve Stone is a great analyst and would be a fine addition to the Sox booth. DJ IS getting better but, Stone would be a significant upgrade.