PDA

View Full Version : Cub Evening Show ... starring Mike Murphy

Hangar18
09-30-2004, 12:52 PM
Gladly havnt listened to this Propogandist in a while, but tuned him in
last nite, just to see what hes up to now that hes been banished to nites.
Well, as soon as he went on the air, he was Angry over the loss, and took
calls and talked cub the entire evening. His show is the Nite version of
what he was Pulling in mornings for so long ........ using the Airwaves as his
personal cub-fest. Every guest on the show is cub related, newspaper reporters are always the cub beat reporters, he has Stat of the Week, and
Guess what it was for this week? Sammys average last year before being BEANED. Jimmy Piersall, who I find one of the most interesting baseball
guys out there, is a frequent "guest", but his talent is WASTED with
Murph STEERING him towards cub related subjects.

Hilite last nite, was about 10:30pm, he took a call from a SOX FAN (I waited and waited to get on the air, but I foolishly forgot my own advice, said I wanted to talk about the SOX) and the guy asked him plainly why he doesnt talk about the SOX, and Murph painstakingly said he has watched
the SOX all his life, but has no care one way or the other about them. He detailed how losses dont affect him, and how sox wins dont affect him. He went to great pains to let the audience know that the SOX dont matter to him and dont arouse any feelings, neg or positive. "I couldnt care less about the White SOX. I dont hate them. I dont love them" is what he said,
before hanging up on the guy. i wanted so BADLY to get on the air and
ask him if THAT ATTITUDE AFFECTS HIS PROFESSIONAL ATTITUDE towards the SOX, and his Constant IGNORING of the team, news, games, hilites, etc.

ahhh, at least I dont have to hear this Horrible Excuse for a Broadcaster
in the mornings anymore :angry:

Jjav829
09-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Why are you still complaining about this? The Sox season is over. The Cubs are still in the midst of a heated chase for the playoffs that is in the final days. Frankly, Murph should be talking about only the Cubs right now. There's no reason to talk about the Sox. They are done. The Cubs aren't. If the situations were reversed and he dared talk about the Cubs for a second you'd blast him for bringing up the Cubs when their season is over. Give it a rest for a while. If he is just talking Cubs in the offseason while the Sox are introducing Carlos Beltran as their newest player, then you have something to complain about.

juanuribe
09-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Why are you still complaining about this? The Sox season is over. The Cubs are still in the midst of a heated chase for the playoffs that is in the final days. Frankly, Murph should be talking about only the Cubs right now. There's no reason to talk about the Sox. They are done. The Cubs aren't. If the situations were reversed and he dared talk about the Cubs for a second you'd blast him for bringing up the Cubs when their season is over. Give it a rest for a while. If he is just talking Cubs in the offseason while the Sox are introducing Carlos Beltran as their newest player, then you have something to complain about.
Here! Here!

<thunderous applause>

Kudos to you for a thoughtful, lucid, properly capitalized and punctuated post!

Iwritecode
09-30-2004, 01:26 PM

Do you really think anything would change if the situation were reversed?

BTW, your last sentence should be in deep pink...

Hangar18
09-30-2004, 01:30 PM
I probably shouldve used a :smile: symbol instead of a :angry: . Was merely
an observation. YES, maybe Murph should be talking Cub 100% of the show,
but then again, in 2000 when we were heading to the playoffs, I seem to
remember 90% of the show was Ripping on Cub Mgmt, whats wrong with the lovable losers, etc etc.........

kittle42
09-30-2004, 01:31 PM
I'd have to agree that this is not the time to be complaining about 100% Cub all the time, unless of course you want to talk Bears or something. Murph, and every other media outlet, is justified in talking all-Cubs.

The big question is indeed whether things would be different if the situations were reversed...alas, we shall not know this season. However, my suspicion is that WGN would not be leading off broadcasts with 10-minute segments on the Sox game.

Erik The Red
09-30-2004, 01:34 PM
There's an easy way to avoid listening to Murph altogether.

Don't listen to The Snore.

Foulke You
09-30-2004, 01:34 PM
I think Hangar's frustration is about the overall Cub-ness of Murphy's show over the entire long haul. This guy basically has a 100% Cubs show all year long. Whether it is April, May, June...contention or no contention for the Sox...he just just doesn't talk about them EVER. He is so emotionally invested in the Cubs it is ridiculous to think that he could ever host a supposedly unbiased show. I make it a point not to listen to him except after games like yesterday because it entertains me to hear him suffer.:D:

chisox56
09-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Just call in after the astros have won the wild card.

Mickster
09-30-2004, 05:07 PM
I just gotta listen tonight! :D: :D:

thepaulbowski
09-30-2004, 05:22 PM
I just gotta listen tonight! :D: :D:

I don't know if I remember how to turn my dial to 670. It may refuse to stop on that station. :cool:

dickallen15
09-30-2004, 06:50 PM
With the White Sox season basically over, I find it refreshing a radio station will dedicate several hours crying over another Cubs loss.

Jerry_Manuel
09-30-2004, 10:15 PM
I don't know, Murph would bug me a litte in the morning.

I've enjoyed his evening shows much better myself.

kittle42
09-30-2004, 11:03 PM
I must mention that tonight's Murph show was THE GREATEST SHOW EVER. Every Cub call - every Cub fan - all crying over their spilled milk. I love it.

TornLabrum
10-01-2004, 12:06 AM
I don't know, Murph would bug me a litte in the morning.

I've enjoyed his evening shows much better myself.
I've enjoyed the evening show much more than the morning show. I haven't listened to it yet.

historian
10-01-2004, 01:15 AM
using the Airwaves as hispersonal cub-fest
18, I think it is in poor taste to call a funeral a cub-fest.:woo-woo

hose
10-01-2004, 06:14 AM
Murphy should be on WGN radio.

I listen to sports talk radio about as much as I listen to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity or Don Wade......nadda, zippo. Toss in Mancow and Stern as more trash.

hose
10-01-2004, 06:19 AM
:wills :rooney :farmer

is all the sports talk on the radio you need.

SOXSINCE'70
10-01-2004, 07:22 AM
AWWWWWWWW,POOR SCRUBBIES!!:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

I have no smpathy for a team that had "dustiny" in its own hands and choked anyway.Steve Stone was right.They should have concentrated on the task at hand instead of crying and whining about the calls they didn't get.:whiner: :whiner:

GO GIANTS,BRAVES AND 'STROS!:bandance: :bandance: