PDA

View Full Version : Another steller article in Cubune.

chisoxmike
09-30-2004, 03:36 AM
Critic's Corner: Sox losses to Cubs sting
By Jim Harding
Tribune staff reporter

September 29, 2004, 8:19 PM CDT

White Sox fans should be kicking themselves.

Not because their team nose-dived after losing Magglio Ordonez and Frank Thomas to injury. Not because the Twins clinched their third straight division title in their park. Not because the team seems to believe four pitchers with a combined ERA of 4.55 and 120 home runs allowed are poised for greatness in 2005.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040929soxcubsrowcorner,1,428180.story?coll=cs-home-headlines
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The July 4th game was probably (next to the 3 twins games in July) was the most painful game of the season, true. But, really, is there any need for a article like this?

SSN721
09-30-2004, 06:50 AM
Yeah i think when I look back at this season I have to think about the games we could have taken from the Cubs to prevent them from making the playoffs. I am sorry, I hat the Cubs as much as anybody here, but I think I will overwhelmingly think about the week at the end of the July, the seven straight losses to division teams that put us ina hole we never crawled out of. I am only kicking myself for being in Alaska that entire week and not being here to be at the games and throw in my support for the team. I am never going on vaction during the baseball season again.

gosox41
09-30-2004, 08:38 AM
Critic's Corner: Sox losses to Cubs sting
By Jim Harding
Tribune staff reporter

September 29, 2004, 8:19 PM CDT

White Sox fans should be kicking themselves.

Not because their team nose-dived after losing Magglio Ordonez and Frank Thomas to injury. Not because the Twins clinched their third straight division title in their park. Not because the team seems to believe four pitchers with a combined ERA of 4.55 and 120 home runs allowed are poised for greatness in 2005.

No, the real reason for depression should be the Sox's 2-4 record against the Cubs. With every game being so critical to the Cubs down the stretch, one more victory by the White Sox could have made a significant difference in the NL wild-card playoff race.

Sure, the Cubs sneaked into the playoffs by one game last year, but the Sox won four of their six meetings in 2003.

Probably the toughest to swallow this year was the 2-1 loss July 4 when Shingo Takatsu and Damaso Marte walked three batters in the bottom of the ninth to hand the Cubs a sweep. That followed a 4-2 Cubs victory that was delayed four times by rain and stopped after the Sox scored twice in the sixth to pull close.

When your team is in the dumps, the best you can hope for is that it plays a role in a rival's downfall.

That's why the Bears' Week 2 victory over the Packers could be the only bright spot in an otherwise long season

Until they meet again in what could be a critical game for Green Bay in the season finale at Soldier Field.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The July 4th game was probably (next to the 3 twins games in July) was the most painful game of the season, true. But, really, is there any need for a article like this?
There isn't a need.

But in other news, did you see the article in the Trib. about Matt Clement shaving his chin?

That's news.

Bob

mrwag
09-30-2004, 08:58 AM
It seems like that Cub series is what started the Sox spiral. I don't have the results in front of me, but if I recall they didn't have Frank in those games, and that's about the time all heck broke loose.

DMarte708
09-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Does Tribune have any journalistic integrity left? It appears this piece was created to spite Sox fans who are enthusiastically cheering the Cubs collapse. The initial paragraph should be telling of the authors intentions.

Jim Harding might as well be saying, "It's your fault the Cubs are in contention Sox fans. I hope you blame yourselves if the glorious Loveable Lovers earn a playoff birth. If your pathetic team wouldn't have choked earlier in the summer Houston or SF would have won the wildcard." Does Mike Kiley have an alias?

Nevermind the numerous bullpen implosions or the continued decline of Corkilicous, the 4 wins during the White Sox series (again, three months ago) will determine this race.

If the Flubs would have reeled off some incredible winning streak following the Crosstown Classic Harding would have earned more credibility. However, immediately following the July 4th sweep Cubs lost 5 straight games; including several with St. Louis. Hardly a defining moment.

HebrewHammer
09-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Yeah i think when I look back at this season I have to think about the games we could have taken from the Cubs to prevent them from making the playoffs. I am sorry, I hat the Cubs as much as anybody here, but I think I will overwhelmingly think about the week at the end of the July, the seven straight losses to division teams that put us ina hole we never crawled out of. I am only kicking myself for being in Alaska that entire week and not being here to be at the games and throw in my support for the team. I am never going on vaction during the baseball season again.So its your fault

Irishsox1
09-30-2004, 11:02 AM
It's useless anti-White Sox articles that the Cubune prints like this one where it becomes perfectly clear that the Tribune can't objectivly report on the White Sox. Who cares that the Sox went 2 and 4 against the Cubs in June? What's happening now Tribune? I'll tell you whats going on right now...Latoya Hawkins sucks as a closer and now you're not in the lead for the wild card....thats news worthy!

SSN721
09-30-2004, 11:24 AM
So its your fault

Yes it is, I blame myself. No teal needed.

kitekrazy
10-02-2004, 11:17 PM
That's a really lousy article. A college freshman would get an F for such sloppy writing.

the point was....................

But expect more of this since the whole Chicago sports scene is going to be in the toilet.

I feel sorry for Bear fans with the loss of Grossman. At least the Bears were exciting to watch compared the rest of the chokers in town.

Chicago should be called the winless city.