PDA

View Full Version : the metrodome, any tips?

jake27
09-29-2004, 08:03 PM
im going to a twins game this weekend and im wondering if there is anything that would be helpful in knowing about parking, or tickets, or anything that could help me. thanks!

SoxxoS
09-29-2004, 08:04 PM
Do everyone a favor and blow it up.

whitesoxwilkes
09-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Avoid the hot dogs.

Try to get seats on the aisle...the sections in the BaggieDome are like 30 seats wide, and it's a real pain to order a beer or hit the bathroom.

Ushers are fascists, you can't even go in a section other than your own for batting practice.

The Dome itself is boring...there's absolutely nothing inside worth checking out.

All the fat, hairy Minnesooooootans really like to eat ice cream during games, so don't bump into them unless you want vanilla all over your clothes.

Hubert's across the street is a great bar...make sure you check out the old Twins pictures with Joe Nossek in them.

mike squires
09-29-2004, 09:58 PM
Take a pic of Comiskey with you as a reminder that at least our ball park is better!

shagar69
09-29-2004, 10:01 PM
Take a pic of Comiskey with you as a reminder that at least our ball park is better! yeah too bad that its the only thing that is better about our team!
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

DumpJerry
09-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Used to live there. Bring earplugs. When it get loud there, IT IS LOUD! I was at the Bears' game on the Thursday night of the Super Bowl season where McMahon lit up the place for three touchdowns in no time flat in the 2nd half. During the first half, the Vikes were running all over the Bears and it was soooo loud that I could not hear my own voice.

For baseball, it really, really sucks. Very sterile. No wind, no sun, no anything. The elements that make a baseball game enjoyable are not there. When you are sitting in the outfield, it feels like anyone can hit a homer, even a wheelchair-bound granny. The game will not feel like a game. It will feel like you're at a theatrical play about baseball.

The most absurd experience I had occurred when my buddy and I made plans to see the Sox at the Dome on an upcoming Saturday afternoon. When I woke up on the appointed morning, I called my friend and we decided to not see the Sox because it was sunny and near 90. Too nice to be inside. :angry: I quit going there after a while. Just could not get into it.....

chisoxmike
09-30-2004, 02:27 AM
Avoid the hot dogs.

Try to get seats on the aisle...the sections in the BaggieDome are like 30 seats wide, and it's a real pain to order a beer or hit the bathroom.

Ushers are fascists, you can't even go in a section other than your own for batting practice.

The Dome itself is boring...there's absolutely nothing inside worth checking out.

All the fat, hairy Minnesooooootans really like to eat ice cream during games, so don't bump into them unless you want vanilla all over your clothes.

Hubert's across the street is a great bar...make sure you check out the old Twins pictures with Joe Nossek in them.

Sadly, all of this is true. My dad used to live up there from 95-98, when they really sucked. We would sometimes go to games, I think they lost just about everyone. But a few highlights were that they didn't know what a funnel cake was, and for a few years they had great lemonade... it was the fresh squeezed kind. The next year I asked if they still had it and the women looked at me and goes "Fresh? No." When you leave you will be pushed out the doors by the pressure.(I don't know if this still happpens) When I was younger I tried to run back in to have it happen again and the usher (who Wilkes is correct, they are Nazi's) screamed at me not to come in. And my dad yelled back "Who would want to go to a Twins game?"

SOXSINCE'70
09-30-2004, 07:14 AM
Don't forget your "homer hanky".:notwinks :chunks

SOXSINCE'70
09-30-2004, 07:15 AM
Do everyone a favor and blow it up.
AMEN!!!

Etownsox13
09-30-2004, 12:28 PM
im going to a twins game this weekend and im wondering if there is anything that would be helpful in knowing about parking, or tickets, or anything that could help me. thanks!

Don't forget to bring your sunscreen.

cubhater
09-30-2004, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=DumpJerry]

For baseball, it really, really sucks. Very sterile. No wind, no sun, no anything. The elements that make a baseball game enjoyable are not there. When you are sitting in the outfield, it feels like anyone can hit a homer, even a wheelchair-bound granny. The game will not feel like a game. It will feel like you're at a theatrical play about baseball.
QUOTE]

Reminds me of the Houston Astrodome. That place sucked for a ball game.

jackbrohamer
09-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Used to live there. Bring earplugs. When it get loud there, IT IS LOUD!
The place is loud even when nobody's there. Everytime they announced a player coming to bat it made my ears hurt.

Nellie_Fox
09-30-2004, 01:14 PM
When you leave you will be pushed out the doors by the pressure.(I don't know if this still happpens) Yes, it still happens. If you're not prepared for it, it can knock you completely off balance. I weigh well over 200 pounds and still almost got wiped out the first time I experienced it.

The food is dreadful, the place is all boring, gray concrete with a gray roof. It's just a terrible place to watch a ballgame. On the plus side, parking is cheap and plentiful within a block or two of the dome.

Foulke You
09-30-2004, 05:41 PM
I went earlier this year to see our Sox win big over the Twinks 8-2. Ahhh, the memories...seems like a lifetime ago. Anyway, here are some random thoughts about the dome:

1. The best place to sit in the Metrodome as recommended by some of the Twins fans that post here is behind the left field wall. The sightlines down the baselines are bad because the seats were designed for football. I sat in LF and had a decent view of the action.

2. The smell when you first walk into the concourse is of boiled movie theater hot dogs which I stayed away from as warned by WSI posters. After smelling them, I can understand why. After you reach the field of play, it smells like high school gymnasium but you get used to it after being in there for a few minutes.

3. The banners hanging in the upper right corner of the stadium are nice and show off the championships and retired numbers. Adds some color to the blandness of the dome.

4. The exaust fans do indeed blow out when the Twins are batting and in when the Sox were up. How much this effects the ball is still to be determined but I experienced it first hand. It only stopped after Valentin put the game out of reach with a 2 run bomb to RF.

5. Not much of a beer drinking crowd there. The Miller man was quite lonely. Seemed very family oriented. I was the only one enjoying MGD that evening in my section. Don't know if I just went on a family type night but it sort of reminded me of a Chicago Wolves Hockey crowd.

6. The Metrodome has foul "nets" not poles. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

7. Despite all the critique of the new turf, I thought visually, it looked much better than the old stuff.

8. I went to a couple of decent sports bars in downtown Minneapolis, one was called "Maxwell's" that had good beer and Fish and Chips and that was about a half mile from the dome. The other was called "Hubert's" (as a previous poster mentioned) right outside the stadium. (Good Shrimp Appetizers, Bad Pizza...guess i'm spoiled by Chicago)

9. The Metrodome PA Announcer...sucks

10. All the kids in Minneapolis seem to have the "Luke Skywalker" bowl haircut. I don't know why but there were a ton of Cub Scouts and families in my section and I swear, they all had that haircut.:D:

jake27
09-30-2004, 09:45 PM
thanks for all the info so far. how much is parking since it was said its so cheap?

whitesoxwilkes
09-30-2004, 09:57 PM
The place is loud even when nobody's there. Everytime they announced a player coming to bat it made my ears hurt.
Now batting, the shortstop Cristian GOOOZ-MAN!

Nellie_Fox
10-01-2004, 10:40 AM
thanks for all the info so far. how much is parking since it was said its so cheap?$5-6, within sight of the dome.

http://vikings.theinsiders.com/2/11134.html gives you a map to parking, the prices are for parking when the Vikings are playing. The lots are unbelievably cheaper when it's a Twins game.