PDA

View Full Version : Slezak article from Feb '04--HA!

chisoxmike
09-29-2004, 08:50 PM
At the top of the list for reporters who jumped on the Cubs preseason World Series Champions in 04 bandwagon, was Carol Slezak among many more. Now, she of all the writers on the Sun times is the biggest Cub fan of them all. She wrote this classic in the Sun times on Feb. 19 when teams broke for spring training. I wanted to keep this one in the back of my mind for when October rolls around. It looks like she's going to be off on this one.

(Since the sun times now charges to view older articles I could only get the first paragraph, but you guys will get the idea.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
From fall guys to Fall Classic
Carol Slezak
Date: February 19, 2004
Page: 124
Word Count: 705
Excerpt:
We interrupt the start of spring training to look ahead to fall, when the Cubs and New York Yankees meet in the World Series. No kidding.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope she writes a little update on her article come next week. :supernana:

robertks61
09-29-2004, 11:00 PM
She was in the parking lot interviewing fans at Comiskey prior to a Cub-Sox game a few years back. She was asking about sitting in the upper deck and ran a article the next day ripping on it. My son & I did make it in the paper in her article though.

34 Inch Stick
09-30-2004, 10:08 AM
You have to admit, this Cub team does look incredible on paper.

If not for the wild card this would be one of the biggest busts in baseball. If they do not win the wild card they will get the benefit of being in a "pennant chase" (even though there is no pennant for best of the second place teams). However the truth is this team is a big bust.

SoxFan76
09-30-2004, 11:48 AM
They don't really impress me. They have no bullpen, no defense, and a hit or miss offense. Alou and Sosa don't really scare me. Either do Barrett or Walker. Patterson is just a ego-maniac who doesn't use his skills--he'd rather hit the long ball. All I see is Derek Lee and Ramirez. Even the both of them strike out a ton. They have probably the worst defensive outfield in baseball, just because of the corner OFers. They have some schmuck at SS, and even Nomar isn't the same guy as a few years ago. Aramis can't play defense. I could go on.

OOOH, and then there's the pitching. Wood, most overrated pitcher in baseball. Prior, who knows what you get out of him. It's his 2nd year. Zambrano, good stuff, but a headcase. Clement, average.

My point? Cubs won't make it far in the playoffs. Who knows if they even make it. All this talk of a Cubs WS is getting annoying. I know Cub fans take whatever crap is thrown their way, but you think they would have a shred of reality in their simple minds. This team is not that good. No need to worry this year Sox fans.

samram
09-30-2004, 11:56 AM
You have to admit, this Cub team does look incredible on paper.

If not for the wild card this would be one of the biggest busts in baseball. If they do not win the wild card they will get the benefit of being in a "pennant chase" (even though there is no pennant for best of the second place teams). However the truth is this team is a big bust.
If Houston wins the wild card, maybe they can win the pennant for the best of the third place teams, although San Diego may have something to say about that.:redneck

Iwritecode
09-30-2004, 12:03 PM
They don't really impress me. They have no bullpen, no defense, and a hit or miss offense. Alou and Sosa don't really scare me. Either do Barrett or Walker. Patterson is just a ego-maniac who doesn't use his skills--he'd rather hit the long ball. All I see is Derek Lee and Ramirez. Even the both of them strike out a ton. They have probably the worst defensive outfield in baseball, just because of the corner OFers. They have some schmuck at SS, and even Nomar isn't the same guy as a few years ago. Aramis can't play defense. I could go on.

OOOH, and then there's the pitching. Wood, most overrated pitcher in baseball. Prior, who knows what you get out of him. It's his 2nd year. Zambrano, good stuff, but a headcase. Clement, average.

My point? Cubs won't make it far in the playoffs. Who knows if they even make it. All this talk of a Cubs WS is getting annoying. I know Cub fans take whatever crap is thrown their way, but you think they would have a shred of reality in their simple minds. This team is not that good. No need to worry this year Sox fans.

Just curious, does all this Cubs-bashing make us "bitter Sox fans" (according to J. Hood) or are we just speaking the truth?

I flipped on the score the other day and listened to a Sox fan call in talking about how bad the Cubs have been playing lately against bad teams. Going to extra innings against teams like the Mets, Expos, Reds and then losing the games or only winning because of a bases-loaded walk is NOT the mark of a good playoff team. The caller tried to make this point until Hood started calling him a bitter Sox fan that can't stand that the Cubs have a chance this year. He was saying something about how the Cubs don't make the schedule and it's not their fault that they are playing all these bad teams.

Maybe it's just me but what does that have to do with anything? It IS their fault that they are losing to all these under 500 teams. Even true Cubs fans will admit that. But if a Sox fan says it, we are just bitter...

Hangar18
09-30-2004, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=34 Inch Stick]You have to admit, this Cub team does look incredible on paper.
QUOTE]

Not. The only thing "incredible" about this team, is how weak-sister
teams like the Pirates and Expos gave all their players away to the cubs
and got nothing.

Hangar18
09-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Just curious, does all this Cubs-bashing make us "bitter Sox fans" (according to J. Hood) or are we just speaking the truth?

I flipped on the score the other day and listened to a Sox fan call in talking about how bad the Cubs have been playing lately against bad teams.....
But if a Sox fan says it, we are just bitter...
I dont know whats gotten into JHood, coming from a Sox fan. Its the Media
looking for scapegoats, and per usual in this town, the MEDIA loves
bashing on us

Iwritecode
09-30-2004, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=34 Inch Stick]You have to admit, this Cub team does look incredible on paper.
QUOTE]

Not. The only thing "incredible" about this team, is how weak-sister
teams like the Pirates and Expos gave all their players away to the cubs
and got nothing.

What's incredible is the way the Cubs can continually snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against these weak-sister teams.

This just goes to show that you can (theoretically) combine the best players money can buy but still not have a good team.