PDA

View Full Version : Olivo batting .197 for Mariner career

Jjav829
09-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Since I know people here love tracking the progress of former Sox players, I figured Miguel Olivo deserved his own thread. Olivo is now batting .197/.258/.388 with the Mariners. That makes for a .646 OPS. He's also allowed double the passed balls he had with the Sox - 9 (as to 4 with the Sox). He's played in the same amount of games for the Mariners this year as did for the Sox, and has 6 more AB's for the M's. He has struck out 50 times with the M's, compared to 29 with the Sox. Clearly this proves that Miguel Olivo will never be anything in his career and that KW did a good job of getting rid of him while his value was somewhat high.

For what it is worth, Ben Davis in 4 less at-bats is hitting .245/.289/.427 for a .716 OPS.

MRKARNO
09-29-2004, 05:47 PM
The thing about Olivo is that he just doesnt have the plate discipline to be a very good hitting catcher. He also has proven to be a liabity calling the games and doing things catchers are supposed to, though he has a great throwing arm. This year I'm sure we did better with the two headed monster of Burke and Davis than we would have had with Olivo the second half. I don't have much of a problem with giving him up.

As far as Reed is concerned (it's going to get brought up sooner or later, I might as well address it now), we have and had a lot of minor league outfielders. Sweeney and Anderson might (the key word is might becayse you never know in baseball) make everyone here forget about Reed. I see Reed as being a very good hitter, but even if he becomes an Ichiro Suzuki-level of hitter (which is about his ceiling, though he has a different style, probably closer to Tony Gwynn's), he still would never be as valuable as the best slugging outfielder, which Anderson and Sweeney can be. We dealt a below-par major league catcher with high potential and low results, one of our many good minor league outfielders and a non-prospect for one of the better starting pitchers in baseball and a stopgap catcher. Not too bad.

Jjav829
09-29-2004, 05:53 PM
As far as Reed is concerned (it's going to get brought up sooner or later, I might as well address it now), we have and had a lot of minor league outfielders. Sweeney and Anderson might (the key word is might becayse you never know in baseball) make everyone here forget about Reed. I see Reed as being a very good hitter, but even if he becomes an Ichiro Suzuki-level of hitter (which is about his ceiling, though he has a different style, probably closer to Tony Gwynn's), he still would never be as valuable as the best slugging outfielder, which Anderson and Sweeney can be. We dealt a below-par major league catcher with high potential and low results, one of our many good minor league outfielders and a non-prospect for one of the better starting pitchers in baseball and a stopgap catcher. Not too bad.:hijacked:

Hey, hey now. Reed has his own thread. This is to discuss what we are missing by not having Olivo on our team. Please keep the Reed discussion out of this. :smile:

nodiggity59
09-29-2004, 05:56 PM
This is to discuss what we are missing by not having Olivo on our team. :smile:
Easy. Nothing. Not a thing.

MRKARNO
09-29-2004, 06:01 PM
:hijacked:

Hey, hey now. Reed has his own thread. This is to discuss what we are missing by not having Olivo on our team. Please keep the Reed discussion out of this. :smile:
Sorry, but it had to be said in this context, the "pro-trade" thread.