PDA

View Full Version : A's folding down the stretch

Foulke You
09-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Kind've lost amongst a lot of the other baseball stories is the fact that the A's are absolutely peeing their pants down the stretch here. As little as a few weeks ago, it looked like they had a solid hold on the division and it was a forgone conclusion that they were playoff bound. The Angels and to a lesser degree, the Rangers, have been hot while the A's have been losing to the likes of the lowly Seattle Mariners. I've seen some of the A's lowlights and it reminds me of the way the Sox looked in that last series in Minnesota in Sept of 2003. They look clueless out there. Mulder has been very beatable recently and Zito hasn't been far from his normal 20 win type year. I wonder what gives? Is Ken Macha just blowing these guys arms out or are they all having an off year?

They are now tied for the AL West lead with Anaheim and honestly, if I were to bet money on a team winning this division, I'd have to say the Angels are going to take this thing, despite losing Jose Guillen. They just look hungrier right now and Vlad has been on a tear recently. One thing the A's do have going for them is that the last 3 games of the year to decide the division against the Angels will be in Oakland. However, even if they stumble into the playoffs, I can see them getting bounced in round 1 again because their pitching staff hasn't been what it used to be. Any other opinions on how the AL West is going to shakedown?

MarkEdward
09-29-2004, 04:28 PM
Kind've lost amongst a lot of the other baseball stories is the fact that the A's are absolutely peeing their pants down the stretch here. As little as a few weeks ago, it looked like they had a solid hold on the division and it was a forgone conclusion that they were playoff bound. The Angels and to a lesser degree, the Rangers, have been hot while the A's have been losing to the likes of the lowly Seattle Mariners. I've seen some of the A's lowlights and it reminds me of the way the Sox looked in that last series in Minnesota in Sept of 2003. They look clueless out there. Mulder has been very beatable recently and Zito hasn't been far from his normal 20 win type year. I wonder what gives? Is Ken Macha just blowing these guys arms out or are they all having an off year?The Big Three are going through varying degrees of difficulty right now. Hudson's been the best of the bunch, but even his ERA is about 4.50 since the All Star break. Zito's had a better second half, but he's still up and down. Mulder's been horrible since about August, and many seem to think he has an injury. Overall, I wouldn't blame it on overwork or Macha, I think they're just going through a cold streak.

They are now tied for the AL West lead with Anaheim and honestly, if I were to bet money on a team winning this division, I'd have to say the Angels are going to take this thing, despite losing Jose Guillen. They just look hungrier right now and Vlad has been on a tear recently. One thing the A's do have going for them is that the last 3 games of the year to decide the division against the Angels will be in Oakland. However, even if they stumble into the playoffs, I can see them getting bounced in round 1 again because their pitching staff hasn't been what it used to be. Any other opinions on how the AL West is going to shakedown?Well, I'm still trying to stay optimistic. Rich Harden is pitching tonight, so that's good. The weekend series, as you mentioned, is in Oakland, which is a plus. The A's will send Mulder, Zito, and Hudson against Colon, Lackey, and Washburn. The Angels' pitchers will be throwing on short rest.

Should be an interesting five games coming up...

marlins03
09-29-2004, 04:30 PM
i gotta give props to my boy redman :smile:

ChiSoxRowand
09-29-2004, 07:22 PM
This is very unusual for Oakland. September is always their strongest month. Every starting pitcher has an era of at least 5.00 for September and Mulder's is over 8.00. They have Harden going tonight, he's been their best pitcher the second half. I still think they will pull this out.

Lip Man 1
09-29-2004, 07:45 PM
Simple answer...the A's dearly miss pitching coach Rick Petersen and the Angels 120 million dollar payroll is obviously coming through.

Lip

Nick@Nite
09-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Simple answer...the A's dearly miss pitching coach Rick Petersen and the Angels 120 million dollar payroll is obviously coming through.

Lip:reinsy
"120 million dollar payroll? No way!"

:KW
"120 million dollar payroll? Hubba hubba!"

Blueprint1
09-29-2004, 08:36 PM
:reinsy
"120 million dollar payroll? No way!"

:KW
"120 million dollar payroll? Hubba hubba!""IF ONLY i had that money i could build that 1998 allstar team ive always dreamed of putting on the team. We already have both Alomars, Everett,and Frank Thomas. I wonder if the Yankee would trade Kenny Lofton.

samram
09-30-2004, 09:29 AM
"IF ONLY i had that money i could build that 1998 allstar team ive always dreamed of putting on the team. We already have both Alomars, Everett,and Frank Thomas. I wonder if the Yankee would trade Kenny Lofton.
I'm sure they would, and I'll bet the Mets would give up Mo Vaughn pretty cheap too. Just grab Scott Erickson from Texas and find Shane Reynolds on the scrap heap somewhere, and you're on your way.:D:

kraut83
09-30-2004, 09:34 AM
Mulder was definitely not throwing well Sunday night against the Angels & it's definitely a case of each of the "Big 3" in a slump at the same time which has never really happened. I'm glad though. I want to see the Angels in, and I still dislike Oakland from back when the Sox were in the AL West.

Foulke You
09-30-2004, 06:22 PM
Does anyone know if any of the Angels/A's series will be on national TV this weekend? That should be one of the best series to watch this weekend.

MRKARNO
09-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Crosby gives the A's a walkoff victory. Couple that with a Anaheim loss and the division is retied

fquaye149
09-30-2004, 08:36 PM
but wait: what you're saying is that what determines the A's success is THE PITCHING and not the moneyball hitters? gee whiz, that comes as a surprise to me