PDA

View Full Version : Milton Bradley Meltdown in L.A.

StillMissOzzie
09-29-2004, 01:27 AM
In what many would consider a shocking, totally out of character series of events in tonight's Dodger / Rockies game, rock of stability Milton Bradley got tossed from tonight's game. Here's the key events, as I saw them on BBTN. First, he struck out and pitched a tantrum, slamming and breaking his bat and slamming his helmet to the ground. Then, out in the field, he botched a liner hit right to him. Shortly thereafter, a beer bottle found it's way from the stands to his feet.

He picked up the beer bottle, stomped over to the RF corner of the stands where he figured it came from, and angrily slammed the beer bottle down at the feet of a fan, who Bradley apparently thought was the guilty party. The umps and security were down there in moments, and Bradley was subsequently thrown out of the game. On his way back to the dugout, he had removed his jersey and was urging the booing crowd on. [ Not clear whether they were booing Bradley for the muffed play, or the umps for what may have seemed like an unfair ejection.]

I think it's a safe bet that MB will draw a suspension, the last thing the Dodgers need as they try to hang on to the NL West title.

SMO
:rolleyes:
And to think, we probably could have had this guy from the Indians...
Edit: And the Dodgers come back with 5 in the bottom of the 9th to win 5-4!

ChiSoxRowand
09-29-2004, 01:37 AM
What an idiot. He is gone for the rest of the year unless he appeals (which he probably will) and the appeal isn't heard until after the season is over.

SomebodyToldMe
09-29-2004, 02:03 AM
I know I'm gonna get flamed, but I really don't care.

I happen to like seeing Milton Bradley play. He reminds me of Paul O'Neil, who always threw little tantrums as well.

I find the guy to be entertaining.

ma-gaga
09-29-2004, 05:33 AM
I find the guy to be entertaining.
Entertaining yes. Kind of like a burning bus on the highway is entertaining.

I think the umps tossed him because they thought that he might go into the stands, the fans would get worse and we'd see another Francisco incident.

What a moron. He better hope his team hangs onto that playoff spot.
I think they have it locked up, but they could still lose it.

mantis1212
09-29-2004, 11:25 AM
At least he didn't whip that bottle into the stands, that woulda been ugly

patbooyah
09-29-2004, 11:40 AM
its strange- but thats what my first thought was- thank god he didn't throw the bottle AT someone.

Paulwny
09-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Are these bottles HDPE (polyethylene) ? I've never seen beer in my area sold in "plastic" but, I've seen them when they pan the crowd at various arenas across the country.

ja1022
09-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Are these bottles HDPE (polyethylene) ? I've never seen beer in my area sold in "plastic" but, I've seen them when they pan the crowd at various arenas across the country.
On Baseball Tonight they said the bottle was plastic, which seems to make the "what could have happened" aspect of this incident less scary. Nevertheless, the guy's a moron who needs a Valium.

munchman33
09-29-2004, 01:02 PM
Video replay confirms that the fan Bradley approached was the guilty party. Take it with a grain of salt.

jeremyb1
09-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Joe Sheehan had a pretty good take on the situation in my opinion.

Bradley's actions were inexcusable. He once again allowed his frustration and his anger to come out in an inappropriate way, and he deserved both his ejection and the suspension that will almost certainly follow.

However, the coverage of the incident that I saw--largely on "SportsCenter"--is a sad example of fitting the facts to the established storyline. Bradley was shown walking towards the stands with the bottle--no mention of it being plastic, no mention of how it got to him (thrown at him by an idiot in the stands), with some semi-amusing voice-over. The clip of him throwing down the bottle, not at anyone, and again with no mention of its being plastic, was shown with the same voyeuristic glee with which the media replayed the Frank Francisco clip.

Bradley was wrong, but there are gradations of wrong, and his actions did not occur in a vacuum. Some moron threw a plastic bottle at a player, and I've yet to see anyone mention that as the provocation for the incident. Unlike the situation with the A's fans and the Rangers' bullpen, it was the fan in this case who escalated from verbiage to violence, albeit mild.

Harold Reynolds, who you would think would know better, criticized Bradley in part by saying, "Fans will cuss at you, they'll throw things at you." Excuse me? One of those is an order of magnitude worse than the other, and linking the two in the same sentence as common behaviors is egregiously wrong. Fans will yell and cuss, and while I find the practice of cussing at baseball players from 50 feet away to be a distasteful relic of a more uncouth time, it is a part of the game that isn't going anywhere. Throwing anything at someone else in public...I mean, who does this, and how does it get dismissed so easily?

The media can make you and break you. Without defending Bradley's action, it wasn't really that bad--the whole point behind the plastic beer bottles at games is to keep them from hurting anyone, and Bradley clearly did not throw the bottle at anyone. Where is the opprobrium for the idiot who launched the bottle at him?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=3512