PDA

View Full Version : Trading Nomar saved Boston

Fenway
09-28-2004, 10:23 AM
The Red Sox clinched the wild card last night and the credit has to go to GM Theo Epstein. It is safe to say no GM made better moves at the trade deadline.

Trading Nomar to the Cubs took guts but in retrospect it had to be done.

There is an old saying in Boston, we know how it will end...we just don't know the storyline. All we can do is hope.

BTW I know some are confused on how Boston clinched even though Anaheim won last night the answer is something out of MIT

So how was it that the Red Sox entered Monday night's game against the Devil Rays with a magic number of two and shrunk that number to zero simply by winning their game?

A closer look at the matter revealed that the magic number didn't tell the whole story. In actuality, the magic number for the Red Sox was their 94th victory, which they accomplished by downing the Devil Rays, 7-3.

The Angels, who trailed the Sox by six games, have 88 wins with six games left.

While the Angels could conceivably match Boston's win total by running the table and having the Sox lose their last six games, it would come at the expense of the A's, who they play three more times.

Under that scenario, the Angels would win the West, Oakland (88-67 entering Monday's action) would be out of the postseason and the Red Sox -- even if they don't win another game this season -- still win the Wild Card.

If the A's lost all three games to Anaheim, they would finish with a maximum of 92 wins, which would mean they couldn't top Boston in the Wild Card standings either.

historian
09-28-2004, 12:07 PM
I'm picking the Bo Sox.

balke
09-28-2004, 02:56 PM
with ya til the WS. :D:

I agree that it helped your team, but, had Theo never goofed the A-Rod trade, this trade probably shouldn't happen. Good save on a dropped ball.

Fenway
09-28-2004, 03:40 PM
not getting A-Rod may have been a blessing Manny has had a monster season

with ya til the WS. :D:

I agree that it helped your team, but, had Theo never goofed the A-Rod trade, this trade probably shouldn't happen. Good save on a dropped ball.

balke
09-28-2004, 03:48 PM
not getting A-Rod may have been a blessing Manny has had a monster seasonA-Rod trade overall was a bad idea for your team. It looks to be a bad move for NY for the money, even if you have the money. That amount of money is sick to be paying for a guy who can't pitch, and doesn't win MVP every single season. Everything worked out for the best, purely luck. But that's mostly what baseball is, luck, Injuries and unfulfilled expectations. The team who stays healthiest/has the most/best depth wins.

Mohoney
09-28-2004, 09:57 PM
:whocares

Go Yankees.