PDA

View Full Version : Everett confirms he will exercise his option

Jjav829
09-28-2004, 07:51 AM
This is no surprise since he wasn't going to get $4 million anywhere else, but damnit! I was hoping the Sox could threaten him with a lack of playing time and make him look elsewhere for a team where he could play nearly everyday. I doubt we're going to be able to trade him. I'd rather have the $4 million to spend on someone else. I do not look forward to seeing Everett patrolling the OF next year.

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug28.html)

wdelaney72
09-28-2004, 08:02 AM
I agree he was a waste this season.

Keep in mind that he also was incredibly fat and out of shape.

All we can do is hope that along with his $4 million option, he exercises his committment to excellence and avoids the McDonalds drive thru.

He could wind-up being a productive player if he's in shape.

I agree, I'd rather spend $4 million elsewhere, but we're stuck with him so let's just hope for the best.

PaulDrake
09-28-2004, 09:55 AM
I just want him to go away.

gosox41
09-28-2004, 10:01 AM

All we can do is hope that along with his $4 million option, he exercises his committment to excellence and avoids the McDonalds drive thru.

I agree, I'd rather spend $4 million elsewhere, but we're stuck with him so let's just hope for the best.
So I'll ask the tough questions:

Was Everett hurt and/or fat when he got here?
If so, why did the Sox trade for him?
Doesn't it say alot about a person's character when he let's himself get fat/out of shape after he signs what will probably be his last big contract?

Of course I mentioned issues about his health when the Sox first traded for him.

Bob

HITMEN OF 77
09-28-2004, 10:10 AM
So I'll ask the tough questions:

Was Everett hurt and/or fat when he got here?
If so, why did the Sox trade for him?
Doesn't it say alot about a person's character when he let's himself get fat/out of shape after he signs what will probably be his last big contract?

Of course I mentioned issues about his health when the Sox first traded for him.

Bob
He's been on and of the DL all season, so I'm sure sitting the bench and not being able to workout on a regular basis added to his weight problems.

I for one am happy to see he's coming back. $4 mill is a lot to spend but, IF he can get healthy and back to a decent weight level, which I'm sure he can do, he will be a good asset to the team next year.

Gosox1917
09-28-2004, 10:11 AM
We can only hope Carl takes Ozzie's advice and get in shape. If he gets back to the Carl Everett of 2000 or 2003 I won't mind seeing him in the OF for us. I'm not sayin I'd rather see him over Magglio or Carlos, but if he's in shape he's alright and comes up with some big hits.

eriqjaffe
09-28-2004, 10:27 AM
At least KW is less likely to acquire him in a trade again next year.

santo=dorf
09-28-2004, 10:40 AM

Frank's option is for $8 million next year, not 4. Ohh sorry. :tongue:

DickAllen72
09-28-2004, 03:30 PM
According to a Sun-Times article, Carl plans to get back into top shape over the off season:

Everett's plan this winter is to develop a polymetric training program that will develop strength and power in the muscles involved in sprinting. Everett stole a career high 27 bases at Houston in 1999 but has just 31 combined steals over the following five seasons.

''I'm more of a power-type guy, a power runner, so polymetrics is going to help my style of play because I beat myself up,'' Everett said. ''I need something that's going to help me beat myself up and be able to take it for a full season. That's basically the type of training I want to do.''

I like Carl, and I look for a great season from him next year!
:bandance:

OurBitchinMinny
09-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Everett will be healthy and hopefully in shape at the start of '05. If thats the case, he will be a welcome piece of this team

fuzzy_patters
09-28-2004, 11:18 PM
My fear with Carl is that his injuries and weight gain could be related to his age. He is not getting any younger. Ironically, one could argue that Carl is proof of the existence of dinosaurs.:)

OEO Magglio
09-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Everett will be healthy and hopefully in shape at the start of '05. If thats the case, he will be a welcome piece of this team
Agreed, if carl comes into camp in shape he'll be a very respectable replacement for maggs.

chisoxt
09-29-2004, 03:06 AM
I was hoping instead that your post would read, "Everett Confirms He will Exercise". Apparently that's what he needs to do more than anything.

SSN721
09-29-2004, 06:30 AM
As long as he comes back in shape, he will be a welcome addition to this team. I suppose there is no way he can go through an outfield bootcamp though to improve his fielding skills as that is really what scares me. Hopefully the desire to acquire him a second time will instill a sense of loyalty to the Sox from Everett and make good on his promise to get in shape and be ready to kick some ass next year. If we get second half 2003 Carl next year I will be very pleased with having the Carldactyl on our team.

gosox41
09-29-2004, 07:36 AM
As long as he comes back in shape, he will be a welcome addition to this team. I suppose there is no way he can go through an outfield bootcamp though to improve his fielding skills as that is really what scares me. Hopefully the desire to acquire him a second time will instill a sense of loyalty to the Sox from Everett and make good on his promise to get in shape and be ready to kick some ass next year. If we get second half 2003 Carl next year I will be very pleased with having the Carldactyl on our team.

:everett:
Next year is my walk year. Of course I'll be coming to camp in shape.

Bob

SSN721
09-29-2004, 09:14 AM
:everett:
Next year is my walk year. Of course I'll be coming to camp in shape.

Bob

If thats what it takes, fine by me as long as he shows up ready to perform.

gosox41
09-29-2004, 12:01 PM
If thats what it takes, fine by me as long as he shows up ready to perform.
I hoper he gets his act together, but didn't KW get him with the intention of helping the team win this year?

Also, people rip on JR for not signing FA's to long term contracts. With people like Everett I can see why.

Bob

kittle42
09-29-2004, 12:05 PM
I hoper he gets his act together, but didn't KW get him with the intention of helping the team win this year?

Also, people rip on JR for not signing FA's to long term contracts. With people like Everett I can see why.

Bob
:reinsy
"You understand my philosophy perfectly. You see, that Beltran guy is gonna get lazy and fat, too! How can I sign him to more than a one-year deal?"

Paulwny
09-29-2004, 12:16 PM
:reinsy
"You understand my philosophy perfectly. You see, that Beltran guy is gonna get lazy and fat, too! How can I sign him to more than a one-year deal?"

" I can get these guys at half the salary in the middle of the season and it only costs me a few minor league players. This way the fans see I'm trying."

petekat
09-30-2004, 02:50 PM
jah crazy carl rox!

According to a Sun-Times article, Carl plans to get back into top shape over the off season:

I like Carl, and I look for a great season from him next year!
:bandance:

ewokpelts
09-30-2004, 02:55 PM
:moron

serves you right sox criminals.....for doubting me and my cubbies!