PDA

View Full Version : Cubs are getting in

OurBitchinMinny
09-28-2004, 02:04 AM
Unfortunately because I think SF is the better team. Too bad the cubs have cupcakes for the last two weeks, while the giants are playing the dodgers and pads. Thats the equivalent of the cubs playing the cards and astros. Hopefully they go belly up in the playoffs.:angry:

ChiSoxRowand
09-28-2004, 02:13 AM
Cubs aint in yet. Houston is a game and a half out with a series against Colorado this weekend. The Giants are in it, and I don't think the braves will rest their guys but the Cubs will get favorable pitching matchups. Plus, The Cubs announcers and Chicago media are always talking about how nobody wants to face the Cubs in the playoffs, Which is probably true. So if thats true Braves will have something more to play for.

historian
09-28-2004, 02:15 AM
Please PLEASE Let the curse kick in this week. Come on Reds. I cant bear another post season full of cute lovable losers with cheatin' Sam-Me and his cute little tainted home run skip.

ChiSoxRowand
09-28-2004, 02:21 AM
Doesn't help that the Cubs had yet another rookie throw against them tonight.

SSN721
09-28-2004, 07:39 AM
Unfortunately because I think SF is the better team. Too bad the cubs have cupcakes for the last two weeks, while the giants are playing the dodgers and pads. Thats the equivalent of the cubs playing the cards and astros. Hopefully they go belly up in the playoffs.:angry:

I dont know if SF is a better team, it is really just Bonds and Schmidt, and Schmidt hasnt been too good lately. I think at worst they are equal, but healthy, on paper, the Cubs are a much better team. Be that as it may I want them to completely tank against Cincinatti and Houston to sneak in. I think it would be much sweeter for Houston to take the wild card away from the Cubs after being written off 6 weeks ago.

white sox bill
09-28-2004, 07:44 AM
Yep, go to the bank with it--they are in--:angry: :(: . Just my luck!

DumpJerry
09-28-2004, 08:03 AM
:chunks :chunks

DumpJerry
09-28-2004, 08:03 AM
.................and I repeat:

:chunks

samram
09-28-2004, 08:04 AM
Cubs aint in yet. Houston is a game and a half out with a series against Colorado this weekend. The Giants are in it, and I don't think the braves will rest their guys but the Cubs will get favorable pitching matchups. Plus, The Cubs announcers and Chicago media are always talking about how nobody wants to face the Cubs in the playoffs, Which is probably true. So if thats true Braves will have something more to play for.
Not to mention, the Braves would love to get revenge for the Cubs beating them last year. The Braves also want to go into the postseason playing well, with momentum, instead of trying to just start playing hard again once the playoffs start.

Hangar18
09-28-2004, 09:38 AM
Doesn't help that the Cubs had yet another rookie throw against them tonight.
It was funny to watch the game, and Chip talking about how the Cub bats "have come alive, sensing the playoffs", as if they decided to start hitting and pitching well now, never mind that some Rookie was pitching, and he looked like some hs kid. He was throwing Garbage up there, equivalent to that of a Double AA minor leaguer.

Dont be Fooled folks, this is WHAT THE MLB WANTED when they set up the cubs against all Pirates and all Reds the rest of the way in September. I hope this blows up in MLBs faces ..........

Hangar18
09-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Im not even gonna waste time getting mad, the cubs are in because MLB and BudSelig gave them the FLUFFIEST schedule, (almost IDENTICAL to last september) hoping that in the 12 games played, the cubs would go 10-2, or 11-1, or better yet, 12-0. At this point, theyve only lost ONE GAME
against the Pirates and Reds. The GIants have to win 6 in a row ........ to knock the cubs out. Wont happen, they finish grueling agains the Padres who are fighting for their playoff lives, and the Dodgers, also fighting for their playoff lives. The Reds? some kid who worked at Wendys in the offseason was pitching ...... The Pirates? gave most of their MLB ready players to the cubs and got NOTHING in return (bobby hill?)

I'm getting ready to watch the MLB fixed playoffs at .........McNallys!!!!!!

balke
09-28-2004, 10:03 AM
Im not even gonna waste time getting mad, the cubs are in because MLB and BudSelig gave them the FLUFFIEST schedule, (almost IDENTICAL to last september) hoping that in the 12 games played, the cubs would go 10-2, or 11-1, or better yet, 12-0. At this point, theyve only lost ONE GAME
against the Pirates and Reds. The GIants have to win 6 in a row ........ to knock the cubs out. Wont happen, they finish grueling agains the Padres who are fighting for their playoff lives, and the Dodgers, also fighting for their playoff lives. The Reds? some kid who worked at Wendys in the offseason was pitching ...... The Pirates? gave most of their MLB ready players to the cubs and got NOTHING in return (bobby hill?)

Enough with the conspiracies. If Griffey weren't injured, this would not look like a group of pushovers (same old story for REds). Selig didn't make the schedules, he hired some PR geek to do it for him, and that guy should be fired, because this was one of the worst scheduled seasons I can remember. Why in god's name was Cubs-Cards done so early? (not a conspiracy, noone thought the Cards would be good). That's a great rivalry. Houston-Cards-Cubs should've been seeing each other here down the stretch. The Yankees-BOSOX was scheduled funny as well.

Hangar18
09-28-2004, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=balke]Enough with the conspiracies. If Griffey weren't injured, this would not look like a group of pushovers (same old story for REds). Selig didn't make the schedules, he hired some PR geek to do it for him, and that guy should be fired, because this was one of the worst scheduled seasons I can remember. QUOTE]

A PR firm DOESNT make the schedules. believe it or not, its a suburban housewife and her husband. They take all the "orders" that MLB has them take into consideration, and they have a huge Magnetic board on the floor of their house, and begin laying out the schedules. Its not done randomly by a "computer", or by a "committee". MLB told them to give them the exact same easy schedule down the stretch, so hopefully baseball will be "saved"
by the cubs, and FOX will be happy with the ratings. Heck, FOX didnt even bother sending any of their camera crews to Florida, keeping them here to pan and cover the "fans" reactions. We saw finally ....ONE gratuitious downtown Miami bar shot.........and that was GM7. You dont hve to call it a Conspiracy, but it sure is crazy that they got the fluffiest schedule
down the stretch didnt they? Remember, NOBODY is running baseball right now, so the Idiot Owners are free to make Foolish and Shortsighted decisions like this ............

chisoxmike
09-28-2004, 12:06 PM
This is a BULL****!!!!! I am going to have to move for a month if the Cubs make the playoffs again! I will not be able to stand all these people who don't know anything about baseball or even WATCH baseball that are going to root for the Cubs because because "its a chicago team." I will not be able to to stand the endless coverage ONLY the Cubs would get and their fans yelling have having signs "In Dusty We Trusty."

All you can hope for is another collapse of epic proportions like in 2003.

chisoxmike
09-28-2004, 12:13 PM

Hangar- I couldn't agree with you more. These teams are GIVING the Cubs the wild card. I have never seen so much bad baseball from the Pirates and Reds. Jesus, SHOW SOME PRIDE, the Cubs are in your division. You are supposed to BEAT the teams in your division. Even teams like the Blue Jays are beating teams like the Yankees, Seattle was beating up on Texas. This sickens me.
F the Cubs.

bc2k
09-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Now that the Cubs own a full game lead over the Giants, and also own a cushy schedule with only 6 games left in the season, all I am hoping for is a tie between the Cubs and Giants or Astros. I figure after a month of playing minor leaguers, the Cubs would be more likely to lose game 163 to either the Giants or Astros.

So although hope is slim, don't worry about the Cubs having to lose their lead with only 6 games left. Hope for the 162-game tie, and a Cubs loss in the 163rd.

kittle42
09-28-2004, 12:59 PM
I figure the Cubs will have to go 2-4 just to tie. Not gonna happen. 5-1 more likely.

By the way, the neighborhood is acting like they're in the WS already. It sucks. The city is reacting, too, sending out droves of police and blocking off more of the streets, apparently. I did get some Cub fans ticketed last night for public indecency, though.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2004, 01:44 PM
Not true Hangar. It was on this website just yesterday. MLB has hired a computer firm to do the scheduling. It's no longer Mom and Pop and it started this season. The story was complaining that supposedly this top computer firm had the Red Sox / Yankees playing two complete series in April when nobody cares next year.

Lip

Kogs35
09-28-2004, 01:55 PM
Not true Hangar. It was on this website just yesterday. MLB has hired a computer firm to do the scheduling. It's no longer Mom and Pop and it started this season. The story was complaining that supposedly this top computer firm had the Red Sox / Yankees playing two complete series in April when nobody cares next year.

Lipi thought it was some mit graduates helping katy feeny for the 05 schedule which is out.

Iwritecode
09-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Hangar- I couldn't agree with you more. These teams are GIVING the Cubs the wild card. I have never seen so much bad baseball from the Pirates and Reds. Jesus, SHOW SOME PRIDE, the Cubs are in your division. You are supposed to BEAT the teams in your division. Even teams like the Blue Jays are beating teams like the Yankees, Seattle was beating up on Texas. This sickens me.
F the Cubs.

Have you really watched any of their games lately? If the teams are giving them the WC, then they sure as hell don't seem to want to take it. They are losing games in the 9th inning to the Mets and going to extra innings with the Expos. I rememeber one game they won 1 - 0 because of a bases loaded walk!

I would almost (it would be bittersweet) like to see them go to the playoffs and then get swept right back out agian because they finally had to play a good team.

Maybe the best hope we have is that they get swept by the Braves and watch the Giants or Astros take the WC.

Foulke You
09-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Every lucky thing is happening for the Cubs too. I mean, one of the Reds only productive hitters, Willy Mo Pena hurt himself right before this series and is out until '05. The Reds closer Danny Graves caught strep throat and will likely miss the entire 4 game set with the Cubs. Unreal. This Reds team is shockingly worse than the inept bunch the Cubs took 3 out of 4 from last weekend. The Braves are going to be resting Russ Ortiz and Jaret Wright this weekend. I want to believe that the Cubs are going to pee their pants here but it is going to take some stellar baseball from the Stros and Giants as well as the Reds to try and remember they are an MLB team and not the Chatanooga Lookouts. :mad:

Also, I agree with other posters opinion that should the Cubs get in, they won't be going anywhere. They have played some pretty poor baseball and are lucky to have this cupcake schedule down the stretch against September call up teams. When they play a real team like the Dodgers or Braves, I think it could be over in 4. However, I don't want to endure the hype and nonsense that surrounds a Cubs playoff berth.

chisoxmike
09-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Maybe the best hope we have is that they get swept by the Braves and watch the Giants or Astros take the WC.That is the best scenario I've heard. Imagine it... Cubs win 3 of 4 or even sweep the reds but still hold a 1 game lead, and with all the pro-cub media in chicago already proclaiming the cubs as the wild card winners they choke and lose 3 straight to the Braves and the Astros of all teams win the wild card. The front page will go up there with the bartman game page. :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Lip Man 1
09-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Foulke says: "I agree with other posters opinion that should the Cubs get in, they won't be going anywhere."

Foulke I hope you're right but answer me this...which N.L. playoff team has better starting pitching? That pitching may carry the Cubs to places Sox fans can only dream about.

Lip

Foulke You
09-28-2004, 04:30 PM
That is the best scenario I've heard. Imagine it... Cubs win 3 of 4 or even sweep the reds but still hold a 1 game lead, and with all the pro-cub media in chicago already proclaiming the cubs as the wild card winners they choke and lose 3 straight to the Braves and the Astros of all teams win the wild card. The front page will go up there with the bartman game page. :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

That would be a storybook ending to this season. I hope it plays out like that. Of course, I wouldn't mind if the Reds took 3 straight and started the choke job early.:D:

Foulke You
09-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Foulke says: "I agree with other posters opinion that should the Cubs get in, they won't be going anywhere."

Foulke I hope you're right but answer me this...which N.L. playoff team has better starting pitching? That pitching may carry the Cubs to places Sox fans can only dream about.

Lip
Lip, here is why I feel the way I do about the Cubs playoff chances:

Pitching:
I'd put the Braves big 3 of Russ Ortiz, Jaret Wright, and Mike Hampton as being equal against the Cubs big 3 of Zambrano, Wood, and Prior. This year's Prior is not the same guy as last year's version and aside from one good performance against Florida, he has only shown that he can bully the basement NL Central teams since his injury. Zambrano has had a great year but his "fiery" attitude makes him a candidate to blow up in the post season. Remember the Cardinals series where he acted like an ass and got rocked by Edmonds? Also, who can forget Timo Perez completley taking Zambrano out of his game at Comiskey Park and watching him give up a meatball for Joe Crede to deposit 20 rows deep. I can forsee a similar blowup in the post season.

Offense:
The Cubs offense has an all or nothing "Sox-ness" to it this year and there will be no speedy Kenny Lofton to carry the offensive load for the Cubs as there was last year. If you'll recall, there is no way the Cubs beat Atlanta last year without Lofton getting on base constantly. Also, the Cubs can score 12 runs against some jabroni named Grienke from the Reds but they won't be doing it against Russ Ortiz or Mike Hampton in a playoff game. Overall, they have had prolonged slumps this year as they have recently where they struggled against the Pirates and Mets to score runs.

Fundamentals:
The Cubs have also shown some horrendous fundamentals this year. Their outfielders like Sosa and Alou miss the cutoff man on a regular basis. Also, they have made more baserunning errors than you can shake a stick at.

That being said...am I worried? Of course. Any team that gets in can get hot at the right time. However, I feel much better about this Cubs team being bounced in round 1 than I did with last year's version simply because Prior was unconscious last year and has only shown small flashes of that this year. However, I would like to avoid all this playoff nonsense altogether and have SF or Houston make it in.:cool:

Lip Man 1
09-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Mike Hampton has not had a good year and if Jaret Wright is one of the pitchers Atlanta's relying on they are in serious trouble. Wright is a fluke. I am not sold on Atlanta in the post season at all however we'll see.

Lip

Foulke You
09-28-2004, 06:55 PM
Mike Hampton has not had a good year and if Jaret Wright is one of the pitchers Atlanta's relying on they are in serious trouble. Wright is a fluke. I am not sold on Atlanta in the post season at all however we'll see.

Lip
I agree that Wright is having a fluke season similar to Loaiza's last year, however, the playoffs are going to start next week and he is having a fantastic year. His success cannot be ignored. I also wouldn't underestimate Hampton's playoff experience being a factor. As I recall, he had a so so year for Atlanta last year in the post season and pitched good in the NLDS. We shall see.

I hope, by some miracle next week, we are discussing a Giants/Braves series instead of a Cubs/Braves series.