PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather have as a 5th starter?

goodguyswearblac
09-27-2004, 09:30 PM
This will be my first ever post and I hope it is a good one.....

Watching the last two Sox games a question came to my mind "Who should the Sox have as a number 5 starter?" I would love for KW to go out and get 2 studs in the off-season, this might be my first post but I know how the Sox front office operates. Which means if we are lucky they will get a quality 1,2,3 type pitcher. This will leave us with "Judy" Garland and Jason Grilli. Garlands performance yesterday was one that we have expected from him for some time now, but was that a fluke? (I think it was b/c that man has no head on his shoulders.) And Grilli has some good stuff, but no control which has resulted in a 7+ ERA. (But his start tonight was very good.) If I had to choose I would probably go with Jon and put Grilli in the pen b/c Jon has better control and ERA. But if Jon starts to crumble after his first 5-7 starts next year yank him for Grilli and trade Garland or throw him in the pen. I was just curious what people think. But I do beg the Sox front office, PLEASE PLEASE SIGN AN ACE THIS OFF-SEASON.

A. Cavatica
09-27-2004, 09:44 PM
This will be my first ever post and I hope it is a good one.....

Watching the last two Sox games a question came to my mind "Who should the Sox have as a number 5 starter?" I would love for KW to go out and get 2 studs in the off-season, this might be my first post but I know how the Sox front office operates. Which means if we are lucky they will get a quality 1,2,3 type pitcher. This will leave us with "Judy" Garland and Jason Grilli. Garlands performance yesterday was one that we have expected from him for some time now, but was that a fluke? (I think it was b/c that man has no head on his shoulders.) And Grilli has some good stuff, but no control which has resulted in a 7+ ERA. (But his start tonight was very good.) If I had to choose I would probably go with Jon and put Grilli in the pen b/c Jon has better control and ERA. But if Jon starts to crumble after his first 5-7 starts next year yank him for Grilli and trade Garland or throw him in the pen. I was just curious what people think. But I do beg the Sox front office, PLEASE PLEASE SIGN AN ACE THIS OFF-SEASON.
Is this even a serious question? Jon's a legitimate major league starter. Grilli is not, not even a #5 for the down-on-their-luck-cause-they-play-in-a-small-market White Sox.

SoxxoS
09-27-2004, 09:55 PM
At least he was close to teal on his first try.

Daver
09-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Pitching is the most valuable thing in MLB, you keep anyone that has shown they can start and get MLB hitters out. Stock your bullpen with starters that can serve as relief pitchers, and you free yourself from the headaches caused when a starter gets injured.

The Sox will not do this though, PHG has them pegged to a tee, Cheap, Stupid, and Timid.

jordan23ventura
09-28-2004, 03:31 AM
Pitching is the most valuable thing in MLB, you keep anyone that has shown they can start and get MLB hitters out. Stock your bullpen with starters that can serve as relief pitchers, and you free yourself from the headaches caused when a starter gets injured.

The Sox will not do this though, PHG has them pegged to a tee, Cheap, Stupid, and Timid.
I agree. I'd like to see the Sox pick up another 2 upper-echelon pitchers, one via free agency and another in a trade of Garland, then stick Schoney in the bullpen. I think another long reliever who can start (and is ML proven) would be good, and keep Munoz in the pen. Hopefully Damaso rebounds and Marte and Shingo can close out games.

Definately though, pitching is top priority - groundball pitchers especially.

Man Soo Lee
09-28-2004, 04:47 AM
I agree. I'd like to see the Sox pick up another 2 upper-echelon pitchers, one via free agency and another in a trade of Garland, then stick Schoney in the bullpen. Why would someone trade an "upper-echelon" pitcher for Garland?

Garland is one of two good candidates for the fifth starter job. Too bad the other one will be making $6 million.

wdelaney72
09-28-2004, 09:05 AM
Why would someone trade an "upper-echelon" pitcher for Garland?

Dump salary?

Unfortunately, this only happens during "fire sales".

Daver
09-28-2004, 05:48 PM
I agree. I'd like to see the Sox pick up another 2 upper-echelon pitchers, one via free agency and another in a trade of Garland, then stick Schoney in the bullpen. I think another long reliever who can start (and is ML proven) would be good, and keep Munoz in the pen. Hopefully Damaso rebounds and Marte and Shingo can close out games.

Definately though, pitching is top priority - groundball pitchers especially.
You didn't get my point, you don't get rid of any pitching you have under contract, you keep them and add via FA.

GiveMeSox
09-28-2004, 06:08 PM

How about we free ouselves from headaches by not having players who are known to casue them on our roster. No headcases, no hit or miss, no hot or cold. GIVE ME CONSISTENCY. Get garland and contreras out they are exactly that, you love em one day when they k 7 and give up 1 run and the next cant get out of the 2nd inning after walking 6. I said get that crap out of here. Buehrle and Garcia are fine for 2 and 3. Now go get decent starting pitching that wont collapse. Go get a Paul Wilson and Cory Lidle, a Ted Lily or a Russ Ortiz. In my opinion we have 2 starters and 2 potential #5 pitchers. I would get rid of both of em but thats likely. We still need 2 starting pitchers. And they dont have superstarts or studs, they just have to be not Garlands/Contreras'!

Lip Man 1
09-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Give Me Sox says: "GIVE ME CONSISTENCY"

Consistency costs money...the Sox say they don't have it. That's not a flippant remark by the way, my point is unless you are willing to pay for proven commodities (i.e. consistent players) you have to take the inconsistent ones and hope they all have a good year at the same time.

That's the Sox philosophy in a nutshell.

Lip

Daver
09-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Every pitcher is a headcase, some moreso than others, and every pitcher is going to have bad outings, it is the nature of the game. Getting rid of a player that can pitch at the MLB level is foolish, replace them in the rotation and use them in the pen.

Or perhaps you prefer the fifth starter by minor league committee every time a pitcher has to miss a start? I'm not following your logic here at all.