PDA

View Full Version : Nancy Faust Fans

Lip Man 1
09-27-2004, 11:07 AM
May enjoy this story from the Tribune:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0409270133sep27,1,1644176.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

TwinKess
09-27-2004, 11:20 AM
I hope you guys keep your organist. I really enjoy having a real organist at the HumptyDome. I think it adds alot (I cant stand that canned crap they have at most ballparks).

historian
09-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Nancy is one of a kind. Screw the canned oldies. We've heard them all before.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Feel free to pass along an e-mail to Brooks letting him know that.

Lip

Hangar18
09-27-2004, 11:41 AM
I always stop by her booth, and say Hello to her. She is ONE OF A KIND,
and the Best Organist in Baseball right now ....... she is so Clever with her playing, and can play things by Ear at the drop of a hat. I said Goodbye after the game, and as I always do at the end of the season, gave her a big hug, and told her SOX fans appreciate her. Believe me, she is so glad that we do.
Heres hoping she NEVER leaves. ( I know a certain team
that is Salivating, waiting for Uncle Jerry to make a foolish mistake)

jackbrohamer
09-27-2004, 11:51 AM
The article was kind of a hatchet job (the Wagner reference was a cheap shot, and since when are Sports Illustrated "polls" valid?). And I disagree that Boyer is responsible for "lowering the profile" of Faust, it seems to me that her playing time has increased since Boyer took over. Even the Cubune's copy editors get a shot at bashing the Sox.

duke of dorwood
09-27-2004, 01:00 PM
They are probably paid a dollar to play the canned music.

chuckn98229
09-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Nancy is way cool! I hope they appreciate what a great asset they have at the Cell. I had the opportunity to go to a couple of the twinkie games last week - my first time at the Cell since September 2000. Wow - the park really looks and feels great! Also had a chance to stop by and say 'Hi' to Nancy. Told her I still had a copy of Ragtime (by E. L. Doctorow) that she autographed at Ragtime Night at old Comiskey quite a few years ago. She said I was the first one to remember that Bill Veeck promotion night and mention it to her!! Was great to be back and great to see Nancy. Only regret was I missed meeting up with Hangar.

mdep524
09-27-2004, 01:29 PM
It would really, really be a travesty if Nancy left, or had her role diminished. I love that organ, and she is not only a great player, but such a clever one. For example, at Thursday night's game vs. KC, I could only smile every time a Royals batter stepped up to the plate as Nancy had some kind of pun ready for them.

David DeJesus- "Jesus is Just Alright With Me"
Matt Stairs- "Stairway to Heaven"
Desi Relaford- "I Love Lucy" (Desi Arnaz)

The list goes on. The canned music does have it's place at the ballpark, but hopefully it will never overshadow the simple joy of Nancy and her organ. :smile:

hellenicsoxfan
09-27-2004, 06:52 PM
I met Nancy for the first time on Friday, Sept. 17 when they were giving away the green Sox hats. I had been told by fellow WSI posters where I could find her (all those years going to Sox games and I had never looked to find her). Before the game I stopped by to see Nancy. What a genuinely NICE person she is. She was happy to talk to me and was happy to sign my hat. My friends, who are not big Sox fans but like going to the park, could not figure out why I wanted the organist's autograph. All I told them was "Because she's Nancy Faust, the best organist in baseball." At a time when the Sox are fighting the evil empire up north for fans, Nancy would make the perfect good will representative for the team. She loves the Sox fans and the Sox fans love her. Letting her go would be nothing short of a travesty.

JohnBasedowYoda
09-27-2004, 07:16 PM
I met Nancy for the first time on Friday, Sept. 17 when they were giving away the green Sox hats. I had been told by fellow WSI posters where I could find her (all those years going to Sox games and I had never looked to find her). Before the game I stopped by to see Nancy. What a genuinely NICE person she is. She was happy to talk to me and was happy to sign my hat. My friends, who are not big Sox fans but like going to the park, could not figure out why I wanted the organist's autograph. All I told them was "Because she's Nancy Faust, the best organist in baseball." At a time when the Sox are fighting the evil empire up north for fans, Nancy would make the perfect good will representative for the team. She loves the Sox fans and the Sox fans love her. Letting her go would be nothing short of a travesty.

how could one find her?

Palehose Pete
09-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Here is the link to a commentary in the Tribune on the pre-game hype at Comiskey and the apparent phasing out of the wonderful Nancy Faust. Oh, the author also exhorts team management to put a Sox winner on the field if it wants to attract and keep fans, but that's what we've been saying all along.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0409270133sep27,1,1644176.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

HomeFish
09-27-2004, 08:52 PM
I don't see why the two can't co-exist.

What would be cooler than organ music blasting at full volume as the players are introduced and the fireworks go off? It doesn't even have to be the usual organ music, I'm sure the instrument is capable of producing more uppity tunes, such as the canned music currently played.

The pregame intros are Boyers best move so far, I think. They really get the crowd pumped up. Even I continue to get chills as I hear it.

mike squires
09-27-2004, 09:42 PM
It's funny, on my 3 shelves I have a FIsk autograph bat, ball...many bobbleheads, a minnie minnoso autpgraph bat, autograph balls from black jack (along with a pick he used at a recent show) Big Frank, Magglio etc. etc. but one of my favorite pieces of memorbillia is a ball i got signed that reads "To Mike, Great Catch, Nancy Faust..."

batmanZoSo
09-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Oh, the author also exhorts team management to put a Sox winner on the field if it wants to attract and keep fans...

:reinsy
Is there any way we can do that without the winner part?

Railsplitter
09-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Some situational tunes from Nancy:

The old Alka-Seltzer "plop, plop, fizz fizz" jingle, for Sox pitching changes (1970's)

"Walk Like an Egyptian", self-explanitory use of 1980's Bangels tune.

Cheesy silent movie action music for errant throws or wierd running plays.

bc2k
09-28-2004, 11:26 AM
I read this article yesterday and agree with one point the author made: Don't introduce Sox players one at a time like a basketball game. Let the Sox take the field as a TEAM like they did pre-Boyer.

KingXerxes
09-28-2004, 12:16 PM
He better not be planning to turn the atmosphere at Comiskey into the same sort of frenetic circus he created at the United Center. There isn't a moment of peace at a Bulls game - and I hate it.

hellenicsoxfan
09-28-2004, 06:09 PM
how could one find her?She has a booth on the lower deck concourse, just to the 3rd base side of home plate, facing the field. Her name is on the door, but the day I went, the door was wide open and anyone could stop by to see her. Nancy seems to really enjoy having fans stop by.

juanuribe
09-28-2004, 09:53 PM
I would think the posters on this board would be smart enough to ignore any drivel coming from the Cubune. As a publication, they have nothing good to say about our Sox, they take every pot shot and low blow and pick the smallest of nits about the team, the park, the marketing campaign, etc. Notice all this blather about Faust comes from the Trib. The Sun-Times (to the best of my knowledge) hasn't written a crappy article about how everyone hates Faust (a fact I can guarantee is false). If the time comes that Nancy wants to retire or the marketing department decide to drop the organ, that's the time to show your outrage, not at the rampant irresponsible speculation in the Tribune. As I've said before, I like the organ, but there's no reason a smart, savvy DJ couldn't play the same songs for players when they came to bat. I never heard the organ play Bill Murray saying "A real Munson" from Kingpin everytime Tigers third sacker Eric Munson made an out. Nancy's organ never played a sneeze sound effect when SamMe came to bat. The organ's great and all, but I think you're short changing canned music/effects a bit. For god's sake this is the 21st century, people.

It's sad to see how some dopey Tribune scribe can send people on this board into a tizzy.

Lip Man 1
09-29-2004, 12:09 PM
Very often rumors have some basis, however small, in fact. Given the comments directly quoted to a former Sox official published last month, talking about Nancy is a less the desirable way, you can understand why some of her supporters would get anxious.

This is also an ownership that tends to ignore, or stomp on the history of this franchise so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they let her go in favor of canned music. Canned music doesn't have to be paid a salary.

Lip

juanuribe
09-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Very often rumors have some basis, however small, in fact. Given the comments directly quoted to a former Sox official published last month, talking about Nancy is a less the desirable way, you can understand why some of her supporters would get anxious.

This is also an ownership that tends to ignore, or stomp on the history of this franchise so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they let her go in favor of canned music. Canned music doesn't have to be paid a salary.

Lip
These comments are unbelievably assinine.

What kind of responsible journalist would publish a quote from an unnamed former official? Those kinds of comments have ZERO CREDIBILITY. If the exec was Gallas as so many have assumed, what would Isaacson have to lose by publishing the name. In my opinion, that quote was just one of MANY disputable things in that column. Melissa Isaacson is a poor example of a journalist, and the column you reference should have been labelled as an opinion piece with all of the spin doctoring Missy did. Plus let us not forget this was an article which appeared in the Tribune (Cubune), a paper historically unfriendly to anything White Sox.

This year I see an organization trying to embrace its history, from the retired number tributes on the left center field wall to the brand new Minnie Minoso statue, to having guys like Moose Skowron, Bill Melton, Donn Pall, and Carlos May on the payroll to act as "ambassadors." I see an ownership (rumored to be) putting in green seats for the 2005 season, to hopefully restore some of the historic look of old Comiskey. Maybe the times they are a changin', MAYBE.

And, guess what, do you think the person responsible for that canned music works for free? Do you think purchasing CDs or legal internet downloads costs nothing? Do you think that hours of work that go into finding good ways to utilize canned music go unpaid? To quote Ed Farmer, "Uh no."

Defend Nancy all you want, I don't mind, I'd defend her as well, but don't use some speculation written by a two-bit cub (pun intended) reporter as your rallying point, it's not practical. Use actual proven attributed facts, they always work better and last longer.

A.T. Money
09-29-2004, 03:03 PM
I love Nancy. It would be tragic if they let her go.

I think it's cool how she plays Beatles music too. You can tell she's a Beatle fan.

StillMissOzzie
09-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Some situational tunes from Nancy:

Cheesy silent movie action music for errant throws or wierd running plays.
The phrase you're looking for here is Keystone Kops...appropriate for the situation you've described, as usual from Nancy.

SMO
:gulp:

Lip Man 1
09-29-2004, 06:37 PM
Uribe says: "If the exec was Gallas as so many have assumed, what would Isaacson have to lose by publishing the name."

Because if the exec told her that what he said was 'off the record' for 'background' she'd have a LOT to lose by violating that. As someone who has been in the media for 25 years I can tell you that is the cardinal rule, you never disclose a source unless they give you permission. It completely destroys any credibility you may have and you'll find that you'll never get anybody to speak with you again.

Pretty hard for a reporter to do their job if no one speaks to them.

By the way I've communicated with Melissa. She's a Sox fan. Don't assume things you don't know for a fact...that's pretty assinine too.

Finally in regards to 'music doesn't cost anything.' Wanna wager that Nancy's salary after thirty years with the club is a hell of a lot more then paying for a few hundred CD's?

Lip

ewokpelts
09-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Uribe says: "If the exec was Gallas as so many have assumed, what would Isaacson have to lose by publishing the name."

Because if the exec told her that what he said was 'off the record' for 'background' she'd have a LOT to lose by violating that. As someone who has been in the media for 25 years I can tell you that is the cardinal rule, you never disclose a source unless they give you permission. It completely destroys any credibility you may have and you'll find that you'll never get anybody to speak with you again.

Pretty hard for a reporter to do their job if no one speaks to them.

By the way I've communicated with Melissa. She's a Sox fan. Don't assume things you don't know for a fact...that's pretty assinine too.

Finally in regards to 'music doesn't cost anything.' Wanna wager that Nancy's salary after thirty years with the club is a hell of a lot more then paying for a few hundred CD's?

LipLip,
They have to pay publishing rights to any canned music they play. That's why the Baha Men are still making money off "who let the dogs out".
Gene

TornLabrum
09-29-2004, 09:38 PM
These comments are unbelievably assinine.

What kind of responsible journalist would publish a quote from an unnamed former official? Those kinds of comments have ZERO CREDIBILITY. If the exec was Gallas as so many have assumed, what would Isaacson have to lose by publishing the name. In my opinion, that quote was just one of MANY disputable things in that column. Melissa Isaacson is a poor example of a journalist, and the column you reference should have been labelled as an opinion piece with all of the spin doctoring Missy did. Plus let us not forget this was an article which appeared in the Tribune (Cubune), a paper historically unfriendly to anything White Sox.

This year I see an organization trying to embrace its history, from the retired number tributes on the left center field wall to the brand new Minnie Minoso statue, to having guys like Moose Skowron, Bill Melton, Donn Pall, and Carlos May on the payroll to act as "ambassadors." I see an ownership (rumored to be) putting in green seats for the 2005 season, to hopefully restore some of the historic look of old Comiskey. Maybe the times they are a changin', MAYBE.

And, guess what, do you think the person responsible for that canned music works for free? Do you think purchasing CDs or legal internet downloads costs nothing? Do you think that hours of work that go into finding good ways to utilize canned music go unpaid? To quote Ed Farmer, "Uh no."

Defend Nancy all you want, I don't mind, I'd defend her as well, but don't use some speculation written by a two-bit cub (pun intended) reporter as your rallying point, it's not practical. Use actual proven attributed facts, they always work better and last longer.
You may find the quote by the unnamed former Sox executive questionable, but I have it on good authority that it is a direct quote.

TornLabrum
09-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Lip,
They have to pay publishing rights to any canned music they play. That's why the Baha Men are still making money off "who let the dogs out".
Gene
They also have to pay for the rights to any music Nancy plays. Live music derives royalties, too.

BTW, something not mentioned in this thread: Nancy is in the middle of a 2-year contract. She will be back next year.

juanuribe
09-29-2004, 10:09 PM

LipHere's a big "I'm happy for you" that you've communicated with the Pulitzer prize winning Missy Isaacson. Here's a big "I'm happy for her" that she's a Sox fan.

She's a piss poor journalist, and that article was full of flawed facts (isn't being FACTUALLY ACCURATE another cardinal rule of journalism!?), meaningless rhetoric, and plenty of things to spin the article the way she wanted it spun, to make Nancy appear on the proverbial island, playing solely for the fans while everyone in the big bad White Sox front office wants to hear Metallica or AC/DC (that's all a DJ plays, right? I mean I've never heard a Motown song or oldies or latin music at the park).

Didn't that article mention someone who paid an usher $35 just to stand next to Nancy? Last game I went to (Sunday) her booth door was wide open, being the inviting person she's always been. So, how could someone pay $35 to some usher? One of many questionable items in that great article. If a quote isn't true (or verifiable), should it be printed, oh wise sage??

Something to ponder: If Rob Gallas hated Faust so much, why was she brought back EVERY YEAR that he held the marketing position?

People are going to believe what they want to believe, whether it's right or wrong. This is a hot button issue, and all I'm trying to do is expose the possibility that this article was written to push the hot buttons of Sox fans OVER NOTHING. Labrum did mention that fact that she does have another year left on her contract, so maybe the whole issue should be tabled until there is really something to talk about.

"I'm done wit this one" - Vinny from "My Cousin Vinny"

juanuribe
09-29-2004, 10:12 PM

Lip
It's 34 years by the way. Facts rear their ugly head again...

HITMEN OF 77
09-30-2004, 11:42 AM
Speaking of Nancy Faust, who remembers the "Nancy Faust Trio"? I'm sure Lip and some of the older fans remember. I just found my postcard I have of there's. I think it was with 2 of her sisters, at least they look a like.

Lip Man 1
09-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Uribe:

I knew she was around for many years since the late 60's. Whether she's been here thirty years or thirty four years the point is she makes a lot of money.

Please stop splitting hairs simply because you hate the media.

Lip

juanuribe
09-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Uribe:

I knew she was around for many years since the late 60's. Whether she's been here thirty years or thirty four years the point is she makes a lot of money.

Please stop splitting hairs simply because you hate the media.

Lip
You're making a mistake thinking I hate the media, just because I criticize the weak writing and truth bending of Melissa Isaacson.

I don't hate the media, I hate manipulation and lies, whatever their source may be.

petekat
09-30-2004, 02:43 PM
how about john buck, "rudolf the red nosed reindeer" and then pink floyd's "money" on successive pitches

It would really, really be a travesty if Nancy left, or had her role diminished. I love that organ, and she is not only a great player, but such a clever one. For example, at Thursday night's game vs. KC, I could only smile every time a Royals batter stepped up to the plate as Nancy had some kind of pun ready for them.

David DeJesus- "Jesus is Just Alright With Me"
Matt Stairs- "Stairway to Heaven"
Desi Relaford- "I Love Lucy" (Desi Arnaz)

The list goes on. The canned music does have it's place at the ballpark, but hopefully it will never overshadow the simple joy of Nancy and her organ. :smile:

juanuribe
09-30-2004, 02:47 PM
how about john buck, "rudolf the red nosed reindeer" and then pink floyd's "money" on successive pitches
Did you hear the DJ play the sound of a cash register when Buck came up?

TornLabrum
09-30-2004, 10:04 PM
You're making a mistake thinking I hate the media, just because I criticize the weak writing and truth bending of Melissa Isaacson.

I don't hate the media, I hate manipulation and lies, whatever their source may be.
You have yet to tell exactly what truth Ms. Isaacson bent.

juanuribe
10-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Isaacson - Nancy does not even get introduced anymore

Truth - PA annonucer introduces her each game before Take Me Out or God Bless America (In a show of patriotism, join organist Nancy Faust as she plays God Bless America)

Isaacson - A fan paid an usher $35 to stand next to her during a game

Truth - Nancy's door is wide open during games, inviting all comers and not charging an admission fee

Isaacson - Nancy only recently was given permission to "improvise" her charge calls during a game

Truth - In the 6 years I've been a season ticket holder, I've heard tons of rally chants played over the organ. I once asked her where she comes up with them, she told me the guy on the headsets says "Charge Nance" and she plays whatever she feels appropriate for the situation, she doesn't HAVE TO play charge. (I asked her this in the 1999 season, not "recently")

This is my last post on this tired topic, I'm done trying to convince people of the facts as they are. Those facts being that the Cubune is doing nothing but rabble rousing and continuing their full on assault of all things White Sox while ignoring facts and accuracy. Get pissed when something happens, not when some mediocre reporter tells you to.

TornLabrum
10-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Isaacson - Nancy does not even get introduced anymore

Truth - PA annonucer introduces her each game before Take Me Out or God Bless America (In a show of patriotism, join organist Nancy Faust as she plays God Bless America)
The whole truth: Nancy now does not get the animation on the matrix board as in the past. Instead her name is on the same small board under MLB scores that is also used for official scorer's rulings. Nancy no longer is introduced by her full name (at least not until fan appreciation day. Instead Gene says, "All right, Nancy."

Isaacson - A fan paid an usher $35 to stand next to her during a game

Truth - Nancy's door is wide open during games, inviting all comers and not charging an admission fee
Yeah, and my son spent all but the ninth inning Sunday next to her in the booth shooting the breeze. He didn't pay anything either. That doesn't mean that some lunkhead didn't pay an usher for the "privilege" and that some unscrupulous usher didn't take the money, does it? Or do you have proof otherwise?

Isaacson - Nancy only recently was given permission to "improvise" her charge calls during a game

Truth - In the 6 years I've been a season ticket holder, I've heard tons of rally chants played over the organ. I once asked her where she comes up with them, she told me the guy on the headsets says "Charge Nance" and she plays whatever she feels appropriate for the situation, she doesn't HAVE TO play charge. (I asked her this in the 1999 season, not "recently")

This is my last post on this tired topic, I'm done trying to convince people of the facts as they are. Those facts being that the Cubune is doing nothing but rabble rousing and continuing their full on assault of all things White Sox while ignoring facts and accuracy. Get pissed when something happens, not when some mediocre reporter tells you to.
And you know this hasn't changed since you talked to her five years ago how?

juanuribe
10-01-2004, 11:19 PM

TornLabrum
10-01-2004, 11:32 PM
A non-response. What facts? Ones that you know from five years ago? Ones that you have no way of knowing whether they are factual or not but you dismiss? Those "facts"? I can see why this is your last post on the topic. You've made a blanket statement that you can't back up.

wassagstdu
10-02-2004, 09:38 AM
It's 34 years by the way....I have been a Sox fan for 57 years. Nancy Faust has been part of the Sox for most of that time. (She must have started at age 3 too) Just what is a Sox fan a fan of? Not the players, they change every couple of years. Not ownership, that's for sure. Is it a logo? That has changed too. A park? Ditto. I think it is the community of other Sox fans that a Sox fan is loyal to. In the era of Frank Thomas I have more to disagree with Sox fans about than agree, I think. (I have a picture on my wall of 4 Sox gold glove winners in 1960) Right now I think Nancy Faust IS the Sox, to a greater extent than anything else I can identify. She is the historic continuity of Sox fans, the symbol of the community. I think I was there (DH vs KC in the '70s) the first time she played "Na Na Na Na, Good-bye". I am still here and so is Nancy Faust, but the players, uniforms, logos, park, everything else is gone. The Grubs knew how to exploit Harry Caray, and he was nothing compared to Nancy Faust. Does Sox ownership not understand the value Nancy Faust has to the franchise, or are they just trying to low-ball her next contract. If Nancy Faust goes, I go.